of 29

2006-05-05 10:32 AM
in reply to: #415703

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: RE: IMCDA Are you ready?
Stake - 2006-05-05 10:48 AM

ChuckyFinster - 2006-05-04 7:01 PM ... I'm not burning through the calories though which I find interesting as our workout pattern is very similar. I have noticed that the inches I've lost in my waste have moved to my hamstrings and quads, but 6-7k of calories a day? That's amazing. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

34.  Entirely too close to "mid-30's", which starts at 35 and continues to 39.5 at which point you have 6 months of "late 30's" before it's all over but the singing.

I'm trying really hard to think of a smart *** comment, but I just can't choose which one to go with.

Baby, you don't look a day over 33.

2006-05-05 11:19 AM
in reply to: #415703

User image

Veteran
Oak Lawn, IL
Stake - 2006-05-05 9:48 AM

34.  Entirely too close to "mid-30's", which starts at 35 and continues to 39.5 at which point you have 6 months of "late 30's" before it's all over but the singing

If you are starting to feel old, i would invest in one of those ironman scales that tell body fat, bonemass, water, etc.... it also states physical age and that is the age i now clam to be... i am almost 35 but some days the scale tells me i am 18... it has the ironman label on it so it must be true......
2006-05-05 1:12 PM
in reply to: #316690

Elite
Livingston, MT
Gu and Gatorade Endurance. Throw in a cliff bar or two for good measure. I got my pack of 20+ free Gatorade Endurance coupons in the mail a couple days ago and used six of them. I'll be trying it out this weekend. I've been using straight gatorade for the last two months, so I don't see a big problem transitioning over to the endurance formula. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to have a cage on my frame and and the aero-bottle or go with just the aero-bottle. Both seems like a lot of liquid to be carrying.

2006-05-05 5:21 PM

Veteran
new orleans
I'm doing Gulf Coast 1/2IM next weekend. Did a little training plan juggling and I ended up with a recovery week before the race and a short bike/16 mile run week following. I'm wondering now if 2 weeks without a bike build is ok. I will still get to do a 100m bike and a 110m bike before 6/25. If any of you have coaches, how do they treat a 1/2IM during training? I'm thinking the race itself would do as a long bike.

Nutrition wise, tried Perpetuem last week and loved it. Well, not LOVED it, but you know what I mean. What I'm working on is being able to do #2 in the morning BEFORE I swim/bike/run. With the intensity of the training now I end up with the runs for the rest of the day after I finish my workout. Nice topic, I know, but I have to be able to go morning of race day. The complexities of IM training.
2006-05-05 7:18 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

My chief Athletic Supporter was asking me if she would be able to drive around the course to see me pass by (not pass out). 

I said there was some parts of the bike that was a short out and back same with the marathon that she could  probably see moi..     Is it easy to get around to drive out to the border of Wa/Id?  Or any other decent viewing spots.    

Also, Is there any update info place for family members to get an idea of where you are at.    Besides just spending 16 hours around the transition areas.?

2006-05-05 7:35 PM
in reply to: #416340

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
BellinghamSpence - 2006-05-05 4:18 PM

My chief Athletic Supporter was asking me if she would be able to drive around the course to see me pass by (not pass out). 

I said there was some parts of the bike that was a short out and back same with the marathon that she could  probably see moi..     Is it easy to get around to drive out to the border of Wa/Id?  Or any other decent viewing spots.    

Also, Is there any update info place for family members to get an idea of where you are at.    Besides just spending 16 hours around the transition areas.?

She probably won't be able to drive anywhere ON the course but it's an easy drive from CDA over to Stateline which is about 1/2 way through the bike course.  There are some good places there to watch the riders go by.  But downtown CDA is a great place to watch the race too as the bike and run both make several passes through town.  One problem with leaving to go out to Stateline is trying to get back into town and find parking.  Most likely would have to park away from downtown and take a shuttle in.  If your Chief Athletic Supporter is there to watch the swim start as I suspect she will be, then she won't have any problem getting a place along the course in a prime viewing area to set up a chair for the day.  There is a place called the "Hot Corner" right downtown in race central where the bikes come by in two directions and the runners go by at least once so you can get a spot there and be set for the day.

There are also computer kiosks set up near the transition areas for people to log on and check out where their family and friends are on the course.  Gets a little crowded at times but last year I think I only had to wait maybe 5 minutes before I got a computer so it's not bad. 

2006-05-05 10:22 PM
in reply to: #416293

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

taleesh - 2006-05-05 2:21 PM What I'm working on is being able to do #2 in the morning BEFORE I swim/bike/run. With the intensity of the training now I end up with the runs for the rest of the day after I finish my workout. Nice topic, I know, but I have to be able to go morning of race day. The complexities of IM training.

Whole new meaning for potty training!  I definitely hear you.  I'm finding out how late the day before I can eat solid food so I can do long runs in the morning without having an "emergency."  I can go before I leave but something about bouncing up and down for an hour or so signals potty time. 

2006-05-05 11:40 PM
in reply to: #416401

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
PGoldberger - 2006-05-05 7:22 PM

taleesh - 2006-05-05 2:21 PM What I'm working on is being able to do #2 in the morning BEFORE I swim/bike/run. With the intensity of the training now I end up with the runs for the rest of the day after I finish my workout. Nice topic, I know, but I have to be able to go morning of race day. The complexities of IM training.

Whole new meaning for potty training!  I definitely hear you.  I'm finding out how late the day before I can eat solid food so I can do long runs in the morning without having an "emergency."  I can go before I leave but something about bouncing up and down for an hour or so signals potty time. 

Whew!  At least I'm not the only one who's been worried about this subject. 

2006-05-06 1:04 AM
in reply to: #416401

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
PGoldberger - 2006-05-05 7:22 PM

Ok I've worked this out on many of my  marathons.  I must get up, eat some hot oatmeal, have a couple (2 ) cups of coffee  to free the innards....And I've reafirmed this during my t on my recent training runs and realized at mile 2 that I need to clinch the buttocks hard for another halfmile or use my dogs doo doo bag.(trying to keep the lake watershed clean)......although nobody ever complaines about horse poop on the trails.

Edited by BellinghamSpence 2006-05-06 1:05 AM
2006-05-06 7:17 AM
in reply to: #416340

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA

Best spot is the "Hot Corner" in CDA.  Second best, and far less crowded in the Liberty Lake turn around.  At the corner of Appleway and Molter in LL you can watch the riders as they come into town and then see them again as they a leaving.

Another option, buy her an hour at the CDA resort spa.  Happy wife = happy life = IMCDA 2007.

2006-05-06 7:45 AM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
Any ideas of a good viewing spot for people with little kids?  Is there a park the rugrats can play at on the course?

2006-05-06 8:05 AM
in reply to: #416466

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

PGoldberger - 2006-05-06 4:45 AM Any ideas of a good viewing spot for people with little kids?  Is there a park the rugrats can play at on the course?

Transitions are in the CDA city park.  There's a great kids play area there that I think is left open during the race.  I'll do some checking for you and find out.  Also, as soon as the swim is done the beach is opened back up to the public so depending on how old the rugrats are that could be an option too.

2006-05-06 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

Thanks so much Stan.  I brought the family to my last two races and it has been really hard on them.

Half Vineman - T1 and T2 about 30 miles apart.  Hard to find parking at each one.  wife had to carry one kid and the other walked like a snail.  Spent most of the day moving from one place to another.

California Half - Cold and rainy.  Almost two miles of walking each way to car.  I guess the 3 year old just sat down at one point refusing to go anywhere else. 

I really want to make this a good experience for them as well.

Spence - so here I sit with 2-3 cups of coffee in me and a 2.5 hour run about to happen.  Let's just say there is no movement.  I have to leave real soon.  I might be going out the door with a loaded weapon!!! 

2006-05-06 3:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, ID

I gotta concur with the coffee or green tea....seems to really get things moving within about an hour.  I have been using PERP, seems to work and no GI distress thus far.  The water here is good, no funky tastes and clean so no worries there.  The hot corner is always pretty packed, as is Lakeside from Northwest to 8th.  You can take the Interstate to 15th street and drive directly south, cross Sherman Avenue and you will be stopped at the bike course.  Out in Liberty Lake you can see folks though it is a long time before they come through a second time.

The transition area is great for viewing.  You will come through the heart of town 5-7 times depending on whether you have a "special needs" bag.  You can track progress from any computer and there are some kiosks set up right downtown.  The park (transition area) is great for kids.  Cool playground, the lake, potties, shade trees and vendors.  You could kill a lot of hours there.  Right across the street from the park is a skateboard park if any kids skateboard.  Use is free!

Getting close....Looking forward to meeting everyone.  I did the bike course today.  Check the website...the bike course was updated on Tuesday.  Only a couple small changes.

2006-05-06 4:51 PM

Veteran
new orleans
I was thinking about putting cellphone in my run special needs bag so I could call my hubby when I'm about a 10k away from finish (oh my god, will I really be that close?!). He's not good at waiting around for any period of time, especially when he's got all 4 kids. That will give him AT LEAST an hour to get to the finish and carry me to the car.
2006-05-06 7:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, ID

I looked at the run course again today.  Updated on May 2, 2006 on IMCDA site.  Read the detail as there are a lot of turns.  Run will be great as it winds through Sanders Beach area and there are some cool homes.  Lots of folks will be out as well.  Great thing is the turn around is part way up the first big hill out on E. Lakeshore...do not have to run all the way to the top.

2006-05-06 8:09 PM
in reply to: #416684

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Who plans on running up the hills?
2006-05-06 8:24 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

Who pans on running at all?

2006-05-07 10:01 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

What Hills!?  I thought it was a flat course.   

This weekend has been cool, wet and grey.  No training for me.

2006-05-07 8:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, ID

Did I say hills...................?  I meant "undulations" in terrain!

2006-05-08 1:29 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

Hey guys/gals.  I need a little advice regarding bringing family to the IM.  My original plan was to bring the wife and both kiddos and make a vacation of it.  Wifey and I sat down a while back and decided to bag that idea because we want to do a family vacation (hopefully skiing) this winter, and two big trips like that would be too costly. 

I am now coming up by myself on Thursday, and we are debating whether to have my wife fly up Saturday and join me or not.  She is very supportive, and a great lady, but I suspect she wouldn't really enjoy the long day Sunday.  Even at the sprints I have done, she has commented that there "isn't much to see."  Take that out to 14 hours or so, and it makes me wonder if we should spend the $500 on a plane ticket. 

For those that have done an IM, is it a huge mistake to not have a family member there for support, etc.?  I know she cares, and I know she'll be there if I want her to, but I also know that we could certainly use a break as far as expenses are concerned.  For what its worth, my coach will be there, and of course all of you great folks, so I wouldn't be completely by myself.

Any thoughts?

Edited by OldAg92 2006-05-08 1:30 PM

2006-05-08 2:36 PM
in reply to: #417738

User image

Master
Colorado
OldAg92 - 2006-05-08 2:29 PM

Hey guys/gals.  I need a little advice regarding bringing family to the IM.  My original plan was to bring the wife and both kiddos and make a vacation of it.  Wifey and I sat down a while back and decided to bag that idea because we want to do a family vacation (hopefully skiing) this winter, and two big trips like that would be too costly. 

I am now coming up by myself on Thursday, and we are debating whether to have my wife fly up Saturday and join me or not.  She is very supportive, and a great lady, but I suspect she wouldn't really enjoy the long day Sunday.  Even at the sprints I have done, she has commented that there "isn't much to see."  Take that out to 14 hours or so, and it makes me wonder if we should spend the $500 on a plane ticket. 

For those that have done an IM, is it a huge mistake to not have a family member there for support, etc.?  I know she cares, and I know she'll be there if I want her to, but I also know that we could certainly use a break as far as expenses are concerned.  For what its worth, my coach will be there, and of course all of you great folks, so I wouldn't be completely by myself.

Any thoughts?

Hi there,

I was out at IMAZ to spectate two friends doing the course, and I will be out at IMCdA to spectate/support Stake.

Yes, it's a long day. Nothing compared to the day that you will be having, but standing for 14 hours in the sun leaves you tired. BUT, we didn't get bored. I was out at IMAZ with Haley (Comet) and while we had purchased books to read while we waited for our athletes to come by (appx once ever 2 hrs), we never ended up reading them -- it was too much fun to cheer on the other athletes, the ones we didn't know. But we like doing this, and enjoy doing it even at smaller races. I found that being at the finish line was spectacular, and it was a great way to cap off an 8 month effort that our friends had committed to. I am glad I didn't miss it, and I wouldn't want to miss seeing that for Stake. I mean, damn, I've lived through the year of the training, you'd better believe I want to be at the payoff!!!

But if spectating isn't something she enjoys, then... it isn't something she enjoys. That's ok, too. But you're right -- it's an expensive plane ticket, and it's a long day. Her presence there has to be important to at least one of you to make it worthwhile. If she's ambivalent but you'd like her there for support, than it's worht the expense. If you are Ok with her not being there, but she wants to see you finish, then it's worth the expense. If both of you are kinda "eh" about it? Save your money.*

Now that I reread that, I also want to point out: Don't underestimate how nice it is to have someone there for you. They can carry your stuff (and you) when you're done, help you prepare in the morning by being another mind to make sure you have everything with you, and basically be a sounding bored for any stress that may be happening before/during/after the race. Jess (tri take me away) and Aaron (JeepFleeb) are amazing athletes, but no way were they able to drive themselves home after the race, y'know? I'm glad we were there to help carry stuff to and from, and make sure they got home to bed.

If she does decide to come but is worried about being bored, make sure that she has with her:
1) A general understanding of how long it will take you to swim/bike/run, so she can be at a watch out point at the right time (obviously, give or take 45 min/an hour for under/overestimating, catastrophic events, or an awesome bike split). Oh, and a watch.
2) A newspaper for the morning, a book for the afternoon, and a magazine for the evening. And car keys for naps.
3) Either food or money for food. There is a lot of time spent the days before and the morning before an IM making sure that the athletes food is all set (and that's the way it should be), but it means that the spectators often forget that they need to eat too. Haley and I realized that we'd been sitting out in 90 degree sun for almost 5 hours and hadn't had a sip of water or a thing to eat -- not very pleasant. Make sure she either has the sustenance or the means to get some.
4) Camera, camera, camera

One last consideration: It's your Ironman race. You get to be selfish about what you want, even if that means your wife might be bored for a few hours, y'know? Enjoy your moment, and ask for what you want.

2006-05-08 4:10 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

Chippy, I love you. Regarding spectating...an IM is 10 million times more exciting than a sprint. I think you should ask your wife to come. There is no way to NOT be touched in some way by the atmosphere of an Ironman. It's amazing. And you will want to see her when you finish. It is one of the biggest accomplishments of your LIFE! I would think you would want to have your wife as part of that memory, as long as she doesn't bring any negative energy along.

Good luck and have FUN!

2006-05-08 4:38 PM
in reply to: #417738

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA

Hard call my friend.  My first reactions are:

1. Sunday is going to be a long day.  I would much rather do an IM than have to stand around and watch one.

2. If she is going to fly in on Saturday do not pick her up at the airport.  Have someone else get her or have her take a cab, a bus, hitchhike, walk, whatever to CDA.  I can not imagine a worst pre-IM-night than sitting around an airport waiting for a late flight to come in.

3. Bikes and bags need to be picked up by midnight.  You need someone to take care of your stuff if you are unable.  If I were to ever end up in the med tent or in the back of an ambulance I would sure want someone around to take care of me when they let me go.

4. It's just a race.

2006-05-08 4:52 PM

Veteran
new orleans
I had a bad experience with a 1/2IM last October. 2 flats, 2 hour wait in the sun for tech help, bonk on the run. I had driven myself 8 hrs to the race alone, so I had to get myself back to my hotel room. I don't know how I did it. I was exhausted, shaking, sad. I told myself I would NEVER go alone again to a long distance tri. I somehow managed to order a pizza from the hotel room before I crashed. It was scary. BUT, if your coach is there, and you know other people who are going to be there--you'll definately need help back to your hotel--maybe that would be ok. I just did not know ANYBODY.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMCDA Are you ready? Rss Feed  

of 29