General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2012-06-26 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4280950

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread

I am trying to test and tweak my nutrition plan for IMWI so on the run I will be carrying my Nathan Quickdraw bottle.  Gonna have my 2 hour mix of Perpetuem ready to mix with some cold water (hopefully cold).  I will also be taking a Raspberry Hammer Gel every 30 minutes.  Other than that its just live of the course with water and some Perform if I feel like it.  I have trained all year with Perform so I am sure my stomach can handle it.  But everything is still dependent on the weather...Surprised

Sdboy2 - 2012-06-26 10:39 AM how are most of you addressing hydration and nutrition on the run? feeding off course? fuel belt?

2012-06-26 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3916289

User image

Well, today's look at Accuweather has us at 74 high and 67 low with rain and wind.  Yesterday it was 73/60 and sunny.  In reality.......Surprised
2012-06-26 5:39 PM

User image

Mooresville, North Carolina

On the water and drink scenarios:  

Like in full ironmans, if you are using the course water and perform, change out each bottle at every water stop so you are completely filled. Thats right, just throw out the half used bottle and get a fresh new.   This way, if you happen to screw up and cant get to a water or a perform at the next stop, you will likely have had a full bottle of each and be able to make it to the next. 

You can use this same strategy in the morning just before the swim.  Get an old bottle of gatoraid, water or anything and fill it up half way with your sport drink.  Take sips of this starting about a half hour before the swim and just throw out the bottle.  You will see most people walking down the 3/4 mile to the swim start at Racine with nothing to drink.  You be the smart one and bring something with you.  I will be taking on about 120 calories this 1/2 hour before the race this way.  Others take it on with a gel or some other fast acting simple carbohydrate.  This will help you in the next hour to not get into a nutrition deficit.   Get out of the water, on your bike, go up that first quick hill, then think about lowering your heart rate.  Take about 5 minutes getting this down while you ride on that really sucky concrete Racine road with holes in it.  Start to take on nutrition in that first 20 minutes and you will be putting energy in the bank for you second half of the ride and the run.  

I weigh about 170 and take on 55 calories every 15 minutes during the ride and 40 calories every 15 during the run.  Sound too disciplined?  I can only tell you that it pays off.  Half of the people on the run that are walking are doing this due to nutrition.  The other half are doing it because they went way to hard on the bike  but that is another subject.   

2012-06-26 9:13 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi everyone! I’ve signed up months ago but just recently found this thread. This will be my first HIM and to say I’m a nervous wreck is an understatement! Like others have said I’m in the ‘hand wringer” group and tend to obsess over details and the unknown.

I’m actually looking forward to the swim. I learned to swim in January of last year and being a fat girl I like the cold water. The temp at out local gym pool stays in the low 80’s and I’m generally overheated by the time I hit the one mile mark. Now just to be clear here just because I ‘can’ swim does not mean that I’m really good at it. I’m in wave 19 and am sure I’ll still managed to be one of the last ones out of the water.

I’ve been doing my training rides in the 20-40 mile range and always bring all my own nutrition and fluids as well. I’ve never ‘successfully’ taken a water bottle from someone’s hand while moving more than a snails pace on the bike so the water bottle exchanges will be interesting to say the least. Can anyone give me some tips on how to do this without having to slow down super slow and get in everyone’s way?

The county roads here tend to go ‘bump bump bump…..’ for miles on end so I’m hoping this will help me prepare for the course. I live in Ottumwa Iowa so no course training for me, but if anyone is in my area I would love to get in a last minute training ride.

Like I said I’m a fat girl so running will be my toughest part. I’ve been training 4-5 mile runs several times a week in the 90+ degree weather so I hope that will help. I run with no water bottles because I can’t stand the feeling of a belt on me. I get hot enough out there, the last thing I want is to have the feeling of a belt around my mid section.

I’ve done four half marathons and one full marathon and have always lived off the course so I’m hoping to do the same here. I do have a few questions regarding the run though:

What are the roads like?

Will they be all paved?

How many hills will there be and how bad are they?

My friend will be there with her daughter and also watching my son, will they be able to see me run in the zoo and be able to get to the finish line in time?

My son is four and her daughter is 9 but with mental challenges, they will be in a wagon, but is there places for them to play?

I will probably arrive early and they will follow after I start in a separate vehicle, will there be enough parking so they will not have a very long walk to the park?

I’m sorry about all these questions so late in the game, wish I could be there to scope it out for myself but any advice would be of great help.

Beth

2012-06-27 8:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Arkansas
Late entry into this race. I'm doing IMKY in late August, so decided to do this one to see where I'm at. Long trip but really excited about it.
2012-06-27 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4282057

User image

Wisconsin
Hubbie - 2012-06-26 9:13 PM

Hi everyone! I’ve signed up months ago but just recently found this thread. This will be my first HIM and to say I’m a nervous wreck is an understatement! Like others have said I’m in the ‘hand wringer” group and tend to obsess over details and the unknown.

I’m actually looking forward to the swim. I learned to swim in January of last year and being a fat girl I like the cold water. The temp at out local gym pool stays in the low 80’s and I’m generally overheated by the time I hit the one mile mark. Now just to be clear here just because I ‘can’ swim does not mean that I’m really good at it. I’m in wave 19 and am sure I’ll still managed to be one of the last ones out of the water.

I’ve been doing my training rides in the 20-40 mile range and always bring all my own nutrition and fluids as well. I’ve never ‘successfully’ taken a water bottle from someone’s hand while moving more than a snails pace on the bike so the water bottle exchanges will be interesting to say the least. Can anyone give me some tips on how to do this without having to slow down super slow and get in everyone’s way?

The county roads here tend to go ‘bump bump bump…..’ for miles on end so I’m hoping this will help me prepare for the course. I live in Ottumwa Iowa so no course training for me, but if anyone is in my area I would love to get in a last minute training ride.

Like I said I’m a fat girl so running will be my toughest part. I’ve been training 4-5 mile runs several times a week in the 90+ degree weather so I hope that will help. I run with no water bottles because I can’t stand the feeling of a belt on me. I get hot enough out there, the last thing I want is to have the feeling of a belt around my mid section.

I’ve done four half marathons and one full marathon and have always lived off the course so I’m hoping to do the same here. I do have a few questions regarding the run though:

What are the roads like?

Will they be all paved?

How many hills will there be and how bad are they?

My friend will be there with her daughter and also watching my son, will they be able to see me run in the zoo and be able to get to the finish line in time?

My son is four and her daughter is 9 but with mental challenges, they will be in a wagon, but is there places for them to play?

I will probably arrive early and they will follow after I start in a separate vehicle, will there be enough parking so they will not have a very long walk to the park?

I’m sorry about all these questions so late in the game, wish I could be there to scope it out for myself but any advice would be of great help.

Beth

HI Beth, Welcome! 

I will answer as much as I can and hope this helps.  Yes the roads on the run are paved.  There are two small hills just after you come out of transition and then as you head up to the lighthouse it is a slow incline but nothing major.  The zoo is at the top of that first hill so if you have family up there they will see you going out and back.  It isn't far from the finish line though so if your question was them at the zoo and still making it to the finish line... depends on your speed and theirs.  There is a playground just outside of transition. I don't know if it is open right away but should be after everyone is out of the water.  The entire beach is a playground though.  Parking is street parking wherever you find a spot so it all depends on timing, could be a several block walk.  Plenty of shade near the finish line and picnic tables they can hang at though.

Your experience on the bumpy road should help too  Most of the route is good just a few stretches that mother nature has not been very kind to.  If you are nervous about taking a bottle from the volunteers I would be cautious for yourself and those around you and pull into the aid station. Get yourself out of traffic for everyones safety but also then you will be able to get your fuel without dropping it. 

Hope this is helpful and ask any questions. Everyone learns from them.

You'll do great! 

Amy

2012-06-27 10:07 AM
in reply to: #4282057

User image

Extreme Veteran

What are the roads like?  Country roads, 2 lane.  Well marked, some rough patches but nothing horrible.

Will they be all paved? Yes, some better paved than others.

How many hills will there be and how bad are they? Hills are not bad.  If I recall theres a longish uphill stretch around mile 10, nothing too bad.  A few little rolling hills.  Theres an elevation chart on the race website.

My friend will be there with her daughter and also watching my son, will they be able to see me run in the zoo and be able to get to the finish line in time?  Running in the zoo is a technicality.  We run through a couple hundred yards of the back of the zoo.  I think they say running in the zoo only becus the path goes through zoo property.  But its not like youre running past lions and stuff.  Just the wild Wisconsin Dumpsters.

Its couple hundred yards from zoo to finish line, so dont think they could get from one to the other quick enough.

My son is four and her daughter is 9 but with mental challenges, t  hey will be in a wagon, but is there places for them to play?  Theres a HUGE public beach right there so theres that.  I also believe that there is at least one playground by the zoo and of course there is the zoo itself for diversion.  dont know how much that costs.

I will probably arrive early and they will follow after I start in a separate vehicle, will there be enough parking so they will not have a very long walk to the park?  Seems there should be.  Theres a couple big lots and then bunch of sidestreets to park on

2012-06-27 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4277756

User image

Regular
Verona, WI
Subject: Training Ride on June 30th

I was planning on coming down and doing the training ride for several reasons but wanted to ask a few quick questions:

1) How many people do this?

2) If I decide to ride at 16-17MPH, or even less will I be by myself?

3) Meet at Barker Street at North Beach at 7 AM right? Leave at 7:30. Saw someone else say that is the case but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks,

2012-06-27 12:37 PM

User image

New user
Kenosha
Well, the race is sold out. Bib numbers are assigned. my bib is 1224.

Cyndi
2012-06-27 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4283165

User image

New user
Kenosha
Subject: RE: Training Ride on June 30th
JeffBoyd61 - 2012-06-27 12:33 PM

I was planning on coming down and doing the training ride for several reasons but wanted to ask a few quick questions:

1) How many people do this?

2) If I decide to ride at 16-17MPH, or even less will I be by myself?

3) Meet at Barker Street at North Beach at 7 AM right? Leave at 7:30. Saw someone else say that is the case but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks,

Hi Jeff,

Not sure how many folks are doing this on Saturday. Gordon_mom (Amy) and I will definitely be in the 16-17 mph group, so you won't be alone. Yes...sounds like we are meeting at the parking lot off Barker Street at 7:00. Hitting the road at 7:30.

See you Saturday.
Cyndi
2012-06-27 1:01 PM
in reply to: #4283172

User image

New user
AWWWWWWW YEA! #388

2012-06-27 1:20 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago

#1435 for me!

And Crowie has a bib - I didn't know he was racing Racine this year. That's pretty exciting!

2012-06-27 2:14 PM
in reply to: #4283280

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
#441 for me.   Defending winner Paul Ambrose will be there to defend his title.  Shouldn't he be bib #1 instead of Crowie?  Pretty cool Crowie is coming back again though.
2012-06-27 3:35 PM
in reply to: #4283404

User image

Veteran
South dakota
2012-06-27 4:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

half bad luck half good times. which will it be

2012-06-27 4:39 PM
in reply to: #4283180

User image

Regular
Verona, WI

Thanks Cindi, Got the hotel room reserved and ready to scope out Racine a little before the race.

See you Saturday.

Jeff

2012-06-27 4:39 PM
in reply to: #4283180

User image

Regular
Verona, WI

Thanks Cindi, Got the hotel room reserved and ready to scope out Racine a little before the race.

See you Saturday.

Jeff

2012-06-27 7:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Grove,MN
397 for me!! Starting to excited for this!!
2012-06-28 8:16 AM

User image

1561 is my new lucky number.

Looks like the 2012 Athlete guide is posted too.  http://ironmanracine.com/athletes/athlete-guide/

2012-06-28 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Good morning everyone. Had a great bike ride yesterday, pulled a bit over 16 miles in the heat. Think the heat index was 101! Hope all this biking and running in the heat will help me prepare for the real deal next month.

Got a bike related question for everyone. Eating on the bike is a recently acquired skill for me. When I ate my gel pack yesterday no matter how careful I was my hand holding the pack was still all sticky. It got on my nerves so I stopped and used my water to wash off my hand. Does anyone have any suggestions to eating while moving and not having nasty sticky hands afterwards? I really don't want to have to stop to wash off on race day.

Beth
2012-06-28 8:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Aww yeah rocking it out as 1463!!!!

2012-06-28 8:38 AM

User image

Wisconsin
#910 for me!  I'm getting very excited too!  Hope everyone is!
2012-06-28 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4284408

User image

New user
Kenosha
Hubbie - 2012-06-28 8:29 AM

Good morning everyone. Had a great bike ride yesterday, pulled a bit over 16 miles in the heat. Think the heat index was 101! Hope all this biking and running in the heat will help me prepare for the real deal next month.

Got a bike related question for everyone. Eating on the bike is a recently acquired skill for me. When I ate my gel pack yesterday no matter how careful I was my hand holding the pack was still all sticky. It got on my nerves so I stopped and used my water to wash off my hand. Does anyone have any suggestions to eating while moving and not having nasty sticky hands afterwards? I really don't want to have to stop to wash off on race day.

Beth

I had the same problem.

Two options: 1) get a gu bottle and load up 4-5 gu's. It works just like a water bottle. or 2) switch to blocks. This might not be an option if you aren't able to test it during training. But the blocks don't have that sticky feeling. I use the clif shot bloks. The nice thing about the bottle or the blocks is that you can control the amount you take in. So you don't need to finish a packet of gu. That's helpful if your tummy turns late in the race.

Cyndi
2012-06-28 8:55 AM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL
#1667!  Wow this must be for real now - bib number assigned, current athlete guide ready....very excited yet anticipating getting a little overwhelmed by the whole "Ironman Experience".  Still not sure I fully comprehend what I'm about to attempt to do, but hopefully I'll be able to relax enough and ride the adrenaline, take it all in and have a great time.
2012-06-28 10:22 AM
in reply to: #4284458

User image

New user

Hey Cyndi-

could you do us all a favor and explain the transition prossess. i see its a saturday bike check in like all ironman events but there's no changine tents or gear bags. so we have bike check in on saturday and on sunday morning we can fill up tires and put nutrition on our bikes etc.etc.etc

my questiuon for you i guess is do we take all of our running stuff into transition on sunday too? i know transition always gets crowded no matter how big the event is, so do you get enough room for a small bag/towel or whatever?

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27