BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-01-03 6:15 PM
in reply to: #4542655

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED
Just a suggestion for those dealing with PF...I feel silly mentioning it & only do because some of you say you have tried everything & I didn't see it in your list.

When I was suffering from PF a couple years ago, in addition to some of the things you listed, I wore slippers (Hafingers, they have arch support) ANYTIME I didn't have shoes on. I literally did not take one step in bare feet. My husband laughed at me a little, as I would step straight out of bed into them or straight out of them into the shower & then back into them. It still took months to get rid of, but seemed to help.

2013-01-03 7:12 PM
in reply to: #4560232

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! OPEN
Meulen - 2013-01-03 1:24 PM
gadgetlaw - 2013-01-03 1:15 PM
robingray_260 - 2013-01-01 3:11 PM  

Hey Karen - I feel your pain with the plantar fasciitis!  This time last year I was in a walking boot to try and get over it.  Had it for about 5 months severely - still can occasionally feel it.  Let me know if you have any questions on treatment - I tried everything except accupuncture and surgery. - Robin

Hi Robin -

First, let me ask how your PF is feeling?  You will give me incredible hope if you tell me it is better!!  I feel like I have tried everything.  Shots.  Night splint (still wearing this).  Ice.  Rolling with a tennis ball, golf ball, frozen water bottle, specific foot roller, and Stick.  Insoles.  Heel cups.  Different running shoes.  Birkenstocks.  Not running.  Running less.  Galloway running (still doing this).  And now PT for the last 2 months.  I just started running on the treadmill at PT and it still hurts!  When I started, the PT told me he didn't want me to run until I could run totally pain free, but I think he has given up on that too!  I have probably done other things, those are just what I can think of off the top of my head!  How did you keep from just being so frustrated?  Any other suggestions you can think of?  Did you change running shoes?  I didn't like the change and went back to my regular shoes.  My mother in law just told me she heard to wrap my foot in a cloth soaked in warmed flaxseed oil!!  I am getting desperate, I might just try it!!!

Karen

Hey Karen!  good to see your still at this!

I've been dealing with PF about 6 months now.  I've tried everything you've listed!  It's frustrating, there's no getting around.  Just keep at it and listen to your PT.  It's a frustrating injury.  Tough healing time because of the lack of blood flow to the area.  Mine is just now starting to feel better, but I still feel it.  My coach has me taking the month off of running right now.  I'm only going to be pool running, and just keep going on the ball/sock/ice/foam roller/stretching/etc.  It's gotta go away........right?

-----

I will start of with the disclaimer - "everyone is different, so what I did may not work for you!!!).

I had severe PF for about 5 months at about that time it started to slowly get better.  At that same time I started to do several different things.  Started to see a new PT who worked on stretching and strengthening, started taping my foot with kinseo tape  (I can PM either of you if interested and I can give more specifics on technique and types of tape). The tape really helped in keeping my arch supported and the pressure off "the spot". And lastly (which 2 different Ortho docs told me not to do) was ditch the inserts and buy some minimalist shoes.  I had read in several different places (including BT) about people who had success going this route.  I had nothing to lose and was starting to consider surgery so what the heck! Went to the LRS and tried on every shoe they had with less than 7 mm drop on the treadmill.  I fell in love with the New Balance Minimus - first shoes that didn't hurt my feet when walking. Very very slowly started running again (like by the end of the month I was running for 10 minutes!) - foot was taped almost constantly to keep support on the arch.

The pain slowly got better - I had to think in terms of weeks and months to see progress but it was there. It is close to 100% better now!  I don't wear the minimus shoes much any more (really only good for running very short distances). I do still run in a more minimal shoe (Saucony Cortanas w/ a 4 mm drop) but am now having some issues with tendonitis and hip pain so may be looking for different shoes again.

I did a lot of research before deciding to go the minimalist route - don't know if it was the reason my foot got better or if it was time and all the other stuff (stretching, ice, sock, tape, etc...) but if you are desperate......

I will say that taking several weeks off of absolutely no exercise didn't help my foot at all and was very bad for my mental state!

PM me if you want more info or just to commiserate!

Edited by robingray_260 2013-01-03 7:13 PM
2013-01-03 7:20 PM
in reply to: #4560232

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Meulen - 2013-01-03 2:24 PM
gadgetlaw - 2013-01-03 1:15 PM
robingray_260 - 2013-01-01 3:11 PM  

Hey Karen - I feel your pain with the plantar fasciitis!  This time last year I was in a walking boot to try and get over it.  Had it for about 5 months severely - still can occasionally feel it.  Let me know if you have any questions on treatment - I tried everything except accupuncture and surgery. - Robin

Hi Robin -

First, let me ask how your PF is feeling?  You will give me incredible hope if you tell me it is better!!  I feel like I have tried everything.  Shots.  Night splint (still wearing this).  Ice.  Rolling with a tennis ball, golf ball, frozen water bottle, specific foot roller, and Stick.  Insoles.  Heel cups.  Different running shoes.  Birkenstocks.  Not running.  Running less.  Galloway running (still doing this).  And now PT for the last 2 months.  I just started running on the treadmill at PT and it still hurts!  When I started, the PT told me he didn't want me to run until I could run totally pain free, but I think he has given up on that too!  I have probably done other things, those are just what I can think of off the top of my head!  How did you keep from just being so frustrated?  Any other suggestions you can think of?  Did you change running shoes?  I didn't like the change and went back to my regular shoes.  My mother in law just told me she heard to wrap my foot in a cloth soaked in warmed flaxseed oil!!  I am getting desperate, I might just try it!!!

Karen

Hey Karen!  good to see your still at this!

I've been dealing with PF about 6 months now.  I've tried everything you've listed!  It's frustrating, there's no getting around.  Just keep at it and listen to your PT.  It's a frustrating injury.  Tough healing time because of the lack of blood flow to the area.  Mine is just now starting to feel better, but I still feel it.  My coach has me taking the month off of running right now.  I'm only going to be pool running, and just keep going on the ball/sock/ice/foam roller/stretching/etc.  It's gotta go away........right?

Hey Brian,

It is good to chat with you again too.  I saw a post of yours on another thread a while ago and was going to drop you a message, but I didn't want to come across as that weird message board stalker person!  I took a month off running when I first got it and almost 2 months off now.  I am going to to say it's gotta go away........I think!  I actually ran on the treadmill (for 15 whole minutes again) tonight and my foot/heel/calf/achilles felt the best it has felt in a long time.  I would have kept on running, except my asthma/sinus-whatever wouldn't let me.  Now if I can just coordinate everything to feel good at one time!  Let me know what you think of the pool running.  I tried it in deep water at my pool and always feel ridiculous, like I don't know what I am doing.  I keep imagining all the other stationary exercisers laughing at me!!

Ali - That is a very good point and one I forgot to mention.  I unfortunately never go barefoot anymore, really because I can't.  And, that is one thing that I hate, because I was always out of my shoes and in slippers as soon as I came home.  I have kept my shoes on, but I will check out those slippers, because I really miss wearing slippers!  Thanks!

Karen

Edited by gadgetlaw 2013-01-03 7:26 PM
2013-01-03 7:48 PM
in reply to: #4560983

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
robingray_260 - 2013-01-03 8:12 PM

-----

I will start of with the disclaimer - "everyone is different, so what I did may not work for you!!!).

I had severe PF for about 5 months at about that time it started to slowly get better.  At that same time I started to do several different things.  Started to see a new PT who worked on stretching and strengthening, started taping my foot with kinseo tape  (I can PM either of you if interested and I can give more specifics on technique and types of tape). The tape really helped in keeping my arch supported and the pressure off "the spot". And lastly (which 2 different Ortho docs told me not to do) was ditch the inserts and buy some minimalist shoes.  I had read in several different places (including BT) about people who had success going this route.  I had nothing to lose and was starting to consider surgery so what the heck! Went to the LRS and tried on every shoe they had with less than 7 mm drop on the treadmill.  I fell in love with the New Balance Minimus - first shoes that didn't hurt my feet when walking. Very very slowly started running again (like by the end of the month I was running for 10 minutes!) - foot was taped almost constantly to keep support on the arch.

The pain slowly got better - I had to think in terms of weeks and months to see progress but it was there. It is close to 100% better now!  I don't wear the minimus shoes much any more (really only good for running very short distances). I do still run in a more minimal shoe (Saucony Cortanas w/ a 4 mm drop) but am now having some issues with tendonitis and hip pain so may be looking for different shoes again.

I did a lot of research before deciding to go the minimalist route - don't know if it was the reason my foot got better or if it was time and all the other stuff (stretching, ice, sock, tape, etc...) but if you are desperate......

I will say that taking several weeks off of absolutely no exercise didn't help my foot at all and was very bad for my mental state!

Hi Robin,

We must have been typing our posts at the same time!  It is indeed true that everyone's experiences are different.  But, let me tell you, anything that anyone has suggested to me, I have tried!

I have thought about switching to a minimalist shoe, but am kinda scared about making things worse.  Based on a recommendation, I did try some Brooks, I think Addiction, which went so much the other way.  Way to much control and an even bigger drop than what I usually wear.  (I wear the Asics GT-2170, which I guess they have totally changed anyway, so who knows what they are like now)  I felt like I had bricks on my feet and I hated them.  I do have some Zoots that I normally only race in.  I will have to check the drop on them.  It is a consideration for me...

And I totally agree with what you say about taking weeks off.  I don't feel like it has helped and it has been very bad for me mentally.  Oh, and bad for my waistline too!!

I will drop you a PM tomorrow if that is okay, so I don't bore everyone here talking about my feet!  Thanks for the offer, but you may regret it!!!!

Karen

2013-01-03 8:19 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Lol Karen!

I talked to several people who've suffered with PF. The bad news is most of them had it for 6 months to a year. The good news is, given that time line we aren't out of the ordinary in our experiences. I'm at around 6 months now. I really think it was a combo of most of everything all of us were talking about that has helped. I've been wearing he sock at night the whole time. Annoying! But really helps with mornings. My PT worked on rolling out knots and pebbles in my foot and strengthening. My coach worked on my running form, and has eased he running back into my program in a way I haven't re injured it. I also did the full time support, like Ali, early on. I got orthotics for my shoes and I bought special orthotic sandals to use around the house. The sandals were really useful. After I started improving I got minimalist shoes, vibrams, to walk around in. I didn't run in them but walking around in them I think helped strengthen it up. The pool running is going great! I feel stupid in the pool too but at this point I'm willing to look dumb if I can get back to normal again. I feel like I'm getting my iron workouts in and making improvements with the resistance in he water yet my foot is continuing to feel better to the point I'm contemplating not wearing the sock at night soon!

Hope you find some relief soon!
2013-01-03 9:33 PM
in reply to: #4561026

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
gadgetlaw - 2013-01-03 7:48 PM
robingray_260 - 2013-01-03 8:12 PM

-----

Hi Robin,

We must have been typing our posts at the same time!  It is indeed true that everyone's experiences are different.  But, let me tell you, anything that anyone has suggested to me, I have tried!

I have thought about switching to a minimalist shoe, but am kinda scared about making things worse.  Based on a recommendation, I did try some Brooks, I think Addiction, which went so much the other way.  Way to much control and an even bigger drop than what I usually wear.  (I wear the Asics GT-2170, which I guess they have totally changed anyway, so who knows what they are like now)  I felt like I had bricks on my feet and I hated them.  I do have some Zoots that I normally only race in.  I will have to check the drop on them.  It is a consideration for me...

And I totally agree with what you say about taking weeks off.  I don't feel like it has helped and it has been very bad for me mentally.  Oh, and bad for my waistline too!!

I will drop you a PM tomorrow if that is okay, so I don't bore everyone here talking about my feet!  Thanks for the offer, but you may regret it!!!!

Karen

Haha!  no worries - most of this group is used to me complaining and have been nothing but gracious!

Second what Brian was saying about aquajogging - I absolutely hate it and rather watch paint dry - but I got through it last year by putting my ipod in a plastic bag then sticking it in my hat (I figured I already looked pretty stupid!) Maybe a waterproof mp3 playing is worth it?  Anyways it helps to do intervals, I did lots of 1 min on/off otherwise I couldn't get the heart rate up.

2013-01-04 4:13 AM
in reply to: #4560140

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
gadgetlaw - 2013-01-03 1:41 PM

As far as blisters on the toes go, I have some of the Injinji socks.  At first they felt really weird, but after having them on for a few minutes, you don't even notice the toes.  But, they keep my feet and toes happy, and I never get blisters when I wear them.  It might be worth a try.

I am still cranky and unhappy with my cold.  Normally, I can continue to work out through a cold, but my asthma is really aggravated this time, and I find it hard to breath just walking, let alone working out.  However, I also signed up for the Pittsburgh Marathon in May.  It will be my first full marathon, so I better be able to get back to training soon!

Karen

I hope you feel better Karen, I was just listening to a news article on how the flu is worse this year than most.  I imagine other virus are that way as well.

Congrats on the upcoming marathon!! Train wisely!

2013-01-04 4:16 AM
in reply to: #4560916

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Omahabritt - 2013-01-03 7:15 PM Just a suggestion for those dealing with PF...I feel silly mentioning it & only do because some of you say you have tried everything & I didn't see it in your list. When I was suffering from PF a couple years ago, in addition to some of the things you listed, I wore slippers (Hafingers, they have arch support) ANYTIME I didn't have shoes on. I literally did not take one step in bare feet. My husband laughed at me a little, as I would step straight out of bed into them or straight out of them into the shower & then back into them. It still took months to get rid of, but seemed to help.

I don't have, thankfully from the sounds of things, any experience with PF.  But this doesn't seem silly to me at all Ali!  It seems that supporting the foot would be a help.

2013-01-04 4:20 AM
in reply to: #4560593

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
rquinn23 - 2013-01-03 4:28 PM
Mission2be - 2013-01-03 3:58 PM

rquinn23 - 2012-12-28 1:49 PM I started CrossFit in January of 2011, and absolutely LOVE it. I am a huge CrossFit fan, particularly because I saw how it positively impacted my running and cycling. I decided 2011 would be the year for triathlons, completed a few sprints and an olympic distance, then did my first half-ironman at Amelia Island, FL in October of 2011.

Becky, how do you incorporate Crossfit into your tri training? Its very intensive so I am wondering how you structure your training as to get proper recovery and get in enough run/bike/swim?

Michelle, I was able to fit in 3-4 Crossfit sessions per week, but definitely let the swim workouts slide, so I did not stick to the plan 100%. That was when training for a HIM but completing shorter races during the training period. I would make sure that in the week leading up to a race that I did not do any heavy XFit workouts from Tuesday on, and none ever the day before the race, but I would still complete lighter workouts that week just to keep the training going. I would do one of my short runs just before XFit class, and on other XFit days would do a S, B or R in the morning or evening opposite my XFit (the classes were sometimes 6am sometimes 6pm depending on the day). My plan this year training for my first IM will be different, though. I looked into CrossFit Endurance, which is more specific for endurance athletes, and the suggestion is to allow a minimum of 3-4 hours between a Crossfit workout and any S, B or R workout. I will do Crossfit only 2-3 times per week, and will not pair it with any other workout back-to-back. I know most of the triathlon plans indicate that strength training is not necessary once you're full-on into the tri training plan, but I have seen the benefits of a strong core translated directly onto the bike and run. Though both biking and running use core muscles for stabilization and efficiency, neither actually strengthen those muscles. Through XFit (and therefore a strengthened core), the hip and piriformis pain which I used to have while running completely went away, and the pain and fatigue I used to get between my shoulder blades while cycling went away. This year, however, this is all contingent on my XFit gym owner giving me a discount, because I cannot afford gym membership (for the pool) and XFit at the same time, so we'll see! The other XFit advice I have is to start now if you're considering it, because the first month is BRUTAL! Lots and lots of soreness that will certainly derail some planned S, B, R workouts, so you don't want to start it while already well into your triathlon training. After the first month, there will certainly still be soreness after workouts (some more than others), but it won't be quite as debilitating. Good luck! Let me know if you try it.

I think, especially as we get older, that the strength training is a big help!  Whether it is Crossfit, kettle bells, or some other method, especially keeping the core strong! 

I had a former hockey player that was on a team I coached when he was young just opened a new Crossfit gym locally.  I don't have time to add it into this years schedule, but maybe in the off season next year.  I was surprised how much more they cost compared to a normal gym membership, but I guess the amount of coaching makes it that way.

2013-01-04 4:20 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Off to spin class and then a short swim!!

TGIF!!!
2013-01-04 5:50 AM
in reply to: #4560593

User image

Thanks Becky!! I have tried crossfit before but I was always scared of getting hurt. I definitely plan to start back now before I go full into HIM training. I tried the run but no strength training route so now I want to add it in to see what kind of results I get.

2013-01-04 6:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Happy Friday all!

Wanted to share my latest training-related gadget. I've never used one before but I just got a bluetooth audio converter for the TV in my garage , set up in front of my trainer. It's supposed to plug into either the TV or directly into the netflix/dvd player and convert the signal so it can be heard on bluetooth headphones. Between bike noises, the fan, and the sometimes bad sound quality of streaming programs/my old TV, i tend to jack up the volume. Since the garage is directly under my 5 year old's bedroom, it sets off a chain of events at 5am that we can do without. I'm really hoping this brings harmony since i NEED entertainment if exercising inside.

Well, we are only a few days into the new year, but so far, so good with consistency.

2013-01-04 6:46 AM
in reply to: #4560140

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
gadgetlaw - 2013-01-03 1:41 PM

As far as blisters on the toes go, I have some of the Injinji socks.  At first they felt really weird, but after having them on for a few minutes, you don't even notice the toes.  But, they keep my feet and toes happy, and I never get blisters when I wear them.  It might be worth a try.

I am still cranky and unhappy with my cold.  Normally, I can continue to work out through a cold, but my asthma is really aggravated this time, and I find it hard to breath just walking, let alone working out.  However, I also signed up for the Pittsburgh Marathon in May.  It will be my first full marathon, so I better be able to get back to training soon!

Karen

Karen, your marathon is on the same day as mine in NJ. We can commiserate over training if you want. Hope you feel better soon.

2013-01-04 7:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY

Happy Friday, all!

I'm feeling a good weekend! Took the day off yesterday with some soreness, plus a hot date...so we'll start off the weekend with a swim and run tonight. Longer bike tomorrow with a short run. Short bike and longer run on Sunday. Also, it's the start of the PLAYOFFS!! Luckily my Niners have no game Wink

What does everyone else have in store? What are you long workouts considered at this point? 

2013-01-04 8:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Wow Nate, you make me feel like such a slacker with all your double workouts! I was up at 5 this morning for a tough spin class followed by some strength training. This weekend I'll get a run or two in & maybe a Pilates class. My core always needs work, so I'm taking some time these next couple of weeks to do some other types of exercise I don't nomally have time for when in full training mode.

While at the gym, I got in a conversation with a friend about our disdain for musicals. All our talk about TM's made me think, "imagine watching a musical while on the TM", not sure if it can get any worse! At least for me!
2013-01-04 8:16 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

Happy Friday!

Friday's are rest days on my program.  I've got my parents coming over tonight for dinner and wine.  Funny Ice mentioned strength training.  My coach had me start with Kettle bells about a month ago and we are adding more and more time with Kettle bells and adding a full out weight program too.  In conjunction with a diet, my program has shifted to more strength training and less long workouts.  So Saturday we've got a 30min pool run/1hr swim workout/ and a 1hr hill repeat ride on the trainer.  Sunday I've got a 3 hour hill repeat ride on the trainer.  Haven't been doing so well with my sinuses lately though.  So hoping I'm healthy enough to get it all done this weekend!

2013-01-04 8:16 AM

User image

I was excited yesterday. It was only -4C and a beautifully sunny day so I took out the mountain bike and did a 15 mile ride on the local trails. I used my Garmin 610 for the second time and it is an amazing little device. It only lost about 1/4 of its battery life even exposed to the cold for close to 1.5 hours. Living in Manitoba, the elevation change over the 15 miles was 7 feet, haha.

I was up early this morning, 5:10 am, to get to my 1 hour masters swim class. Lots of flipper work today. Curling tonight. Tomorrow is a good 1.5-2:00 hour indoor bike followed by a brick run. Sunday is hockey for an hour then I can relax. Maybe check out a movie and eat some popcorn.

Have a good weekend everyone.

2013-01-04 8:17 AM
in reply to: #4561414

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
bdenehy - 2013-01-04 6:35 AM

Happy Friday all!

Wanted to share my latest training-related gadget. I've never used one before but I just got a bluetooth audio converter for the TV in my garage , set up in front of my trainer. It's supposed to plug into either the TV or directly into the netflix/dvd player and convert the signal so it can be heard on bluetooth headphones. Between bike noises, the fan, and the sometimes bad sound quality of streaming programs/my old TV, i tend to jack up the volume. Since the garage is directly under my 5 year old's bedroom, it sets off a chain of events at 5am that we can do without. I'm really hoping this brings harmony since i NEED entertainment if exercising inside.

Well, we are only a few days into the new year, but so far, so good with consistency.

Bill, this sounds pretty cool. I'll be interested to hear if you like it!
2013-01-04 8:22 AM
in reply to: #4561550

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY

Omahabritt - 2013-01-04 9:14 AM Wow Nate, you make me feel like such a slacker with all your double workouts! I was up at 5 this morning for a tough spin class followed by some strength training. This weekend I'll get a run or two in & maybe a Pilates class. My core always needs work, so I'm taking some time these next couple of weeks to do some other types of exercise I don't nomally have time for when in full training mode. While at the gym, I got in a conversation with a friend about our disdain for musicals. All our talk about TM's made me think, "imagine watching a musical while on the TM", not sure if it can get any worse! At least for me!

Today I'll just do a 30-45min swim followed by a 30min run. Tomorrow's brick will be short, 1.5-2hr bike and a 10-15min run. Then 20min bike follow by about 1.5hr run Sunday. I'll rarely, if ever, do back to back long workouts...besides races of course. 

I think a TM run while watching a musical might just be the worst idea ever! The only time I'd ever be caught watching a musical is if I was pretty much forced to by a lady friend. Wink

2013-01-04 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4561509

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
zee744 - 2013-01-04 7:56 AM

Happy Friday, all!

I'm feeling a good weekend! Took the day off yesterday with some soreness, plus a hot date...so we'll start off the weekend with a swim and run tonight. Longer bike tomorrow with a short run. Short bike and longer run on Sunday. Also, it's the start of the PLAYOFFS!! Luckily my Niners have no game Wink

What does everyone else have in store? What are you long workouts considered at this point? 

Looks like a fun weekend!  Sitting here in Chicago I won't talk about the playoffs!

I consider anything over an hour indoors long.  Maybe 1:30 on the bike trainer.  Outside I consider 2:30+ on the bike long.  Stll an hour running is longer for me.  My coach has different ideas though!   I think he considers anything under 3 hours on the bike trainer short! LOL

2013-01-04 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4561552

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
Meulen - 2013-01-04 9:16 AM

Happy Friday!

Friday's are rest days on my program.  I've got my parents coming over tonight for dinner and wine.  Funny Ice mentioned strength training.  My coach had me start with Kettle bells about a month ago and we are adding more and more time with Kettle bells and adding a full out weight program too.  In conjunction with a diet, my program has shifted to more strength training and less long workouts.  So Saturday we've got a 30min pool run/1hr swim workout/ and a 1hr hill repeat ride on the trainer.  Sunday I've got a 3 hour hill repeat ride on the trainer.  Haven't been doing so well with my sinuses lately though.  So hoping I'm healthy enough to get it all done this weekend!

Everyone is talking about the strength training they're doing and I really wish I had the time. I do mostly hill workouts on the trainer for my strength. Upper body is really whatever I can get in. Before tri's I strictly did weight lifting, so it is kind of depressing seeing the strength I've lost. 

Hope your sinuses decide to chill out for you!

2013-01-04 9:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
zee744 - 2013-01-04 8:56 AM

Happy Friday, all!

Saturday - trainer ride/recovery run

Sunday - long run

Right now a long run is ~15 miles and a long bike is 1hr.  I won't go past 1hr on the bike until I'm outside again.  Have a great weekend!

2013-01-04 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4560916

User image

Veteran
I do the same thing. I wear "house" shoes inside the house all of the time. I have a friend who is an Orthopedic Surgeon and he recommends (regardless of athlete or not) for everyone to minimize any walking on hardwood or tile without shoes.
2013-01-04 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
zee744 - 2013-01-04 8:56 AM

Happy Friday, all!

My weekends does not look good for any training. Still trying to get over this cold, and I am taking the family on a weekend getaway so I am hoping to get back in the training program on Monday. May however try a short run around lunch time today.
2013-01-04 9:58 AM

User image

New user
Definitely feeling like a slacker! Raining and windy this morning, and although I don't mind running in the rain I just couldn't get out the door. Brought my running clothes to work, though, so I think I'll head out for a noon run (which I never do, but I have to start getting mid-day runs in this year in preparation for IM Louisville). Then XFit after work.

This weekend will get in a long run of 10 miles and hopefully a bike of 40 or so, though it is supposed to rain all weekend.

Do any of you use a roller trainer for the bike? It's the only kind I have, and there is no way I could do longer than an hour on it. Usually I only do 30 minutes, though I think my longest is 45. It's tough to get a change in effort, so I try to just change gears and do intervals of harder effort and maybe some high-cadence spinning intervals.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64