BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2012-12-29 5:35 PM
in reply to: #4553142

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed
Wiff - 2012-12-29 1:53 PM

I sit here typing with my celebratory beer because I RAN FOR MORE THAN AN HOUR FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!!!!  I am all sorts of impressed with myself right now.  To think, less than a year ago I couldn't make it through week 1 of the C25K and today, 6 miles!  (I switched the treadmill into miles because I wanted to run less things and 6 miles seemed better than 10 K)  I feel like calling everyone I know to tell them.  I'll settle for Facebook though.  

I actually pulled a lot of motivation from something I read on BigDH's training blog about working out being homework and you didn't have to like it, you just had to do it.

<<<<>>>>

Great job....what kind of beer??

2012-12-29 5:35 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Wiff - 2012-12-29 1:53 PM

I sit here typing with my celebratory beer because I RAN FOR MORE THAN AN HOUR FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!!!!  I am all sorts of impressed with myself right now.  To think, less than a year ago I couldn't make it through week 1 of the C25K and today, 6 miles!  (I switched the treadmill into miles because I wanted to run less things and 6 miles seemed better than 10 K)  I feel like calling everyone I know to tell them.  I'll settle for Facebook though.  

I actually pulled a lot of motivation from something I read on BigDH's training blog about working out being homework and you didn't have to like it, you just had to do it.

<<<<>>>>

hey great work.
2012-12-29 5:42 PM
in reply to: #4553260

User image

Champion
Calgary
Burd - 2012-12-29 4:29 PM

That came out wrong Tongue out ...I don't mind it at all just saying it's time consuming....lol

I wouldn't wish it any other way

kids are brutal. Currently I am up at 6 to get my run in so I can be home for breakfast and when the 18 month old goes down for a nap so does daddy. Then the 3 year old gets some play time and my wife gets her time. The weekdays are a whole other battle.
2012-12-29 5:45 PM
in reply to: #4552911

User image

Champion
Calgary
DBrew99 - 2012-12-29 9:23 AM

Good morning, all -I'm inspired to read all of the success stories and goal setting going on. I am still developing my goals for the year, and being a newbie I want to put a little more thought into it before posting. I've been a casual athlete all my life, and recently started running again, starting with the C25k in August. Since that time I've built up to 6 miles three times weekly, and decided to start training for a tri. I decided to set a goal for the New England Trifest held here in Vermont in June, which offers both Olympic and half distances. I set a goal to do the Olympic, figuring 6 months was enough to train. I entered my data into a gold training plan that has three runs, three bikes, and two swims weekly. When looking at the three runs (S, M, L) I saw that the distances were only a mile or so for the first few months, and that I wouldn't really be challenged until April or even May. With that in mind, I re-entered my training data as if I were doing a HIM, and the training seemed a little more a propos to what I am capable right now. I figure I can set my goals to do a HIM, and decide to back off and do the Olympic distance if that seems wiser. Sort an under-promise and over-deliver deal. So, my long winded question is this: my training now calls for distances of 1, or maybe 2 miles of running and I am capable of much more. As I start into full tri training should I keep trying for distances of, say, 3 miles (short), 4.5 miles (medium), and 6 miles (long) while adding the swimming and biking, or should I play it safe and do the much shorter mileage suggested by the program in the interest of avoiding over-training?Dan

I don't know how those gold programs work. I think if you are comfortable with that running then keep what you have been doing and just add the swimming and biking (is that 3 times a week too?) I doubt you would risk over-training.
2012-12-29 5:57 PM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

My son and I have a good time, when he's not acting like a 7 year old boy haha.

I've been coaching him for the past 6 soccer seasons.  He made the post season all-star team this year and I was asked to coach that team as well.  It has ranged from 4 year olds to 8 year olds over the years that I have coached.  For every minute I wanted to yank out all my hair it has been just as rewarding.   

Yes kids ARE brutal!  The bright side to being a coach is I get to leave all but 1 of the kids with other parents after I run them and get them all wound up.

2012-12-29 8:40 PM
in reply to: #4551282

User image

Expert
thor67 - 2012-12-28 8:09 AM

My goals for this year.

1)get down to 190lbs. I have the mean(surly), now I need the lean.

2)Improve my bike

3)Improve my run

4)Enjoy my family-The best thing about triathlon last year was my 10 yr old son participating in them with me. This year my wife and 5 yr old daughter are going to participate. 

Races this year are going to be tough due to #4. Grandparents or alternating races with my wife will be necessary so there will be some movement in my schedule.

I am going to shoot for 2 Olys and 2 sprints this year with the odd run thrown in.

May-Drayton Valley Sprint

June-

July-Invermere, BC Heart of the Rockies Oly

July-Leduc Sprint Triathlon(1 week after invermere but it is home triathlon)

August-Usuallly do the Alberta Challenge oly but last year weeds were BRUTAL. Every stroke, I was pully weeds in the lake. Looking to find an alternative.

August/September-Either Edmonton-Dip, Ride, Run chocolate, Innisfail, Lacombe.

There may be a couple of more possibilities dependent on holidays. Such as Nelson, BC on the August long weekend and if cheap flights, somewhere warm in the spring!

Thor - Love the focus you are putting on your family.  Getting your kids and wife involved is key.  If your entire house is working out, sitting on the couch really isn't an option.

2 sprints and 2 tris is very doable.  I actually looked up the Dip, Ride, Run, Chocolate tri - by god, it does exist.  Suprised you didn't sign up for Dip, Ride, Run, Molsen...

Good luck this year!

2012-12-29 8:48 PM
in reply to: #4551351

User image

Expert
bobddsmd - 2012-12-28 8:50 AM
Qua17 - 2012-12-28 7:30 AM

Goals:

1. continue to exercise to be healthy and happy (sound familiar)

2. reduce injury risk (keep possible injuries minor and be aggressive at modifying program/streching to minimize downtime)

3. be active with my wife and kids

4. finish my first HIM and be healthy/happy with it

5. continue to strive to eat whole foods to increase my nutrition

6. try not to be overly concerned about weight but if 10lbs fall off along the journey then so be it

Races:

Feb: 5k Will run for Chocolate

March: Dallas Rock and Roll HM

April: Galveston 70.3

October: either Kona (lottery....haha) or Austin 70.3

November: lay in a big cooler filled with ice and beer.

One of my fav beers is Arrogant Bastard Ale. High alcohol, tough beer in a huge bottle. I love to give it as a gift to friends and tell them that I though this beer would be perfect for them.

Bobby - Good luck to you this year and have fun in Kona Wink  I really like the break you are taking after your first HIM... I think it will keep you fresh and help you to avoid injury.  It's also smart because it's got to be hot in TX in June-September.... I also like how you plan to finish off the year.

Arrogant Bastard is too big of a beer for me... The excess malt used to hide the ABV just rubs me the wrong way!

2012-12-29 8:50 PM
in reply to: #4553436

User image

Regular
Bearspaw, Alberta

thor67 - 2012-12-28 8:09 AM

August/September-Either Edmonton-Dip, Ride, Run chocolate, Innisfail, Lacombe.

I thought about doing the chocolate one last year.  Mmmm.....

We did Banff last year in September and it was fantastic!  The water is chilly but everything is so beautiful and the volunteers and random supporters down on Banff Ave make it an excellent event.  I'm thinking of doing it again this year.

2012-12-29 9:01 PM
in reply to: #4552911

User image

Expert

DBrew99 - 2012-12-29 10:23 AM Good morning, all -I'm inspired to read all of the success stories and goal setting going on. I am still developing my goals for the year, and being a newbie I want to put a little more thought into it before posting. I've been a casual athlete all my life, and recently started running again, starting with the C25k in August. Since that time I've built up to 6 miles three times weekly, and decided to start training for a tri. I decided to set a goal for the New England Trifest held here in Vermont in June, which offers both Olympic and half distances. I set a goal to do the Olympic, figuring 6 months was enough to train. I entered my data into a gold training plan that has three runs, three bikes, and two swims weekly. When looking at the three runs (S, M, L) I saw that the distances were only a mile or so for the first few months, and that I wouldn't really be challenged until April or even May. With that in mind, I re-entered my training data as if I were doing a HIM, and the training seemed a little more a propos to what I am capable right now. I figure I can set my goals to do a HIM, and decide to back off and do the Olympic distance if that seems wiser. Sort an under-promise and over-deliver deal. So, my long winded question is this: my training now calls for distances of 1, or maybe 2 miles of running and I am capable of much more. As I start into full tri training should I keep trying for distances of, say, 3 miles (short), 4.5 miles (medium), and 6 miles (long) while adding the swimming and biking, or should I play it safe and do the much shorter mileage suggested by the program in the interest of avoiding over-training?Dan

Dan - Great question... I've never used one of those plans in the gold section but my thought is that they begin with the assumption that you are just starting out.  But from what you mentioned in your post - you are already putting in runs 3-5x as long.  

My suggestion is to honor your ability by starting with longer runs but to take into account the fact that you are adding swim and bike times to your weekly totals.  So I might do runs of 2,3, and 4.5 miles while adding the swimming and biking.  Just be sure that your weekly time doesn't increase by more than 10-15% in terms of total time exercised and you should be fine.

2012-12-29 9:05 PM

User image

Expert
Wiff - 2012-12-29 2:53 PM

<<<<>>>>

I bet that beer tastes damn good... and what makes it even better is that you earned every sip.  Way to go Kim!  Progress is what it's all about and the best part is that you will continue to make progress as long as you keep working out!

DH says a lot of inspirational stuff... but if you really want to be inspired - check out his run totals for the year!

2012-12-29 9:22 PM

User image

Expert

Yesterday, I accomplished my weekly goal and did yoga for the first time.  For the longest time, I'd been resisting people's suggestion to try it thinking it just wasn't for me.  It took all of 30 seconds for me to realize how much I needed it.  Wow - what an amazing workout!  All that sweating made me feel fantastic!

Today, I got in a run during the first major snow storm this year.  I love running in the snow.  I look forward to it all year because It gives me a reason to slow down, relax and just enjoy myself.  So, there I am, running down this trail and loving life when all of a sudden the phone rings.  It's my son - he needs me to come pull his tooth.  No problem. So I run home and yank it then head back out on my run... Then my new head phones started falling out of my ears.  I'd stick them back in only to have them pop out again.  Frustrating... I got 5 in but was so disappointed...

Luckily, I live in New England.  It will snow again!  I'll more than make up for it tomorrow with a trip to my favorite wings place (BW3s)... I'm 3 pounds to the good for my monthly weight loss goal.  Cleveland is playing the Steelers. It doesn't get much better...

2012-12-29 9:23 PM
in reply to: #4553455

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Qua17 - 2012-12-29 9:01 PM

DBrew99 - 2012-12-29 10:23 AM Good morning, all -I'm inspired to read all of the success stories and goal setting going on. I am still developing my goals for the year, and being a newbie I want to put a little more thought into it before posting. I've been a casual athlete all my life, and recently started running again, starting with the C25k in August. Since that time I've built up to 6 miles three times weekly, and decided to start training for a tri. I decided to set a goal for the New England Trifest held here in Vermont in June, which offers both Olympic and half distances. I set a goal to do the Olympic, figuring 6 months was enough to train. I entered my data into a gold training plan that has three runs, three bikes, and two swims weekly. When looking at the three runs (S, M, L) I saw that the distances were only a mile or so for the first few months, and that I wouldn't really be challenged until April or even May. With that in mind, I re-entered my training data as if I were doing a HIM, and the training seemed a little more a propos to what I am capable right now. I figure I can set my goals to do a HIM, and decide to back off and do the Olympic distance if that seems wiser. Sort an under-promise and over-deliver deal. So, my long winded question is this: my training now calls for distances of 1, or maybe 2 miles of running and I am capable of much more. As I start into full tri training should I keep trying for distances of, say, 3 miles (short), 4.5 miles (medium), and 6 miles (long) while adding the swimming and biking, or should I play it safe and do the much shorter mileage suggested by the program in the interest of avoiding over-training?Dan

Dan - Great question... I've never used one of those plans in the gold section but my thought is that they begin with the assumption that you are just starting out.  But from what you mentioned in your post - you are already putting in runs 3-5x as long.  

My suggestion is to honor your ability by starting with longer runs but to take into account the fact that you are adding swim and bike times to your weekly totals.  So I might do runs of 2,3, and 4.5 miles while adding the swimming and biking.  Just be sure that your weekly time doesn't increase by more than 10-15% in terms of total time exercised and you should be fine.

I am using a gold plan right now for the HIM. It was a little bit messy as I was also training for a HM during the first month. The software does not appear to allow one to enter two races (or at least I did not figure it out). The run volume starts low which is likely to try and reduce injury. I have tried to keep my runs at my previous HM elevated level. I have not really reached my peak mpw but it is staying above my training plan. I am not too upset with that because my running base is very limited and I would do well to hold things tight for a while. I just did not want to go backwards.

2012-12-29 10:24 PM
in reply to: #4553471

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Qua17 - 2012-12-29 8:22 PM

Yesterday, I accomplished my weekly goal and did yoga for the first time.  For the longest time, I'd been resisting people's suggestion to try it thinking it just wasn't for me.  It took all of 30 seconds for me to realize how much I needed it.  Wow - what an amazing workout!  All that sweating made me feel fantastic!

Today, I got in a run during the first major snow storm this year.  I love running in the snow.  I look forward to it all year because It gives me a reason to slow down, relax and just enjoy myself.  So, there I am, running down this trail and loving life when all of a sudden the phone rings.  It's my son - he needs me to come pull his tooth.  No problem. So I run home and yank it then head back out on my run... Then my new head phones started falling out of my ears.  I'd stick them back in only to have them pop out again.  Frustrating... I got 5 in but was so disappointed...

Luckily, I live in New England.  It will snow again!  I'll more than make up for it tomorrow with a trip to my favorite wings place (BW3s)... I'm 3 pounds to the good for my monthly weight loss goal.  Cleveland is playing the Steelers. It doesn't get much better...

Nice job on the run!

What kind of headphones? I am in the market for a new pair. Looking at yurbuds....

2012-12-30 1:45 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Love running in the snow!

I have JVC 'gummys' I believe they are called and at 8 bucks a pop they are the best ones I have found to stay put in my sweaty ears. I have three pairs of them, gym bag, running jacket, and an extra pair.

Music quality is alright, nothing spectacular, but I'm not super fussy about that.
2012-12-30 1:45 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Love running in the snow!

I have JVC 'gummys' I believe they are called and at 8 bucks a pop they are the best ones I have found to stay put in my sweaty ears. I have three pairs of them, gym bag, running jacket, and an extra pair.

Music quality is alright, nothing spectacular, but I'm not super fussy about that.
2012-12-30 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Just finished a nice 10k on the treadmill, with my new Saucony Triumph 9's.  My LRS suggested them, based on a true neutral cushioning, compared to my old Asics stability shoes.  Then again, I bought my Asics when I was 45lbs heavier.

The difference is noteworthy, but not night and day.  

I also looked at some minimalist shoes, specifically the Nike Free series, but I decided to go to something more standard while I am still building base.  The feel is very different, and I don't know which is better.

What I really need to do is calibrate my Garmin footpod against a GPS, since it seems every treadmill in my gym gives me different distance readings, and once the mercury gets above 10 degrees, I'll try my first outdoor run in the cold.

A question for the experience runners out there - other than boredom, while doing zone 2 base building, is there anything wrong or questionable about going for longer distances?  Today ranks up there with my longest run at 6.2 miles, but 15min after I was finished, I felt 95%, so I know I have a lot more left in the tank.  I know that's the point of zone 2 training, but should my LSD runs be longer?  I'm not worried about speed right now (though I am getting steadily faster, bit by bit).  

Thanks, 

-Charles

2012-12-30 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4553697

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
mirthfuldragon - 2012-12-30 7:19 AM

Just finished a nice 10k on the treadmill, with my new Saucony Triumph 9's.  My LRS suggested them, based on a true neutral cushioning, compared to my old Asics stability shoes.  Then again, I bought my Asics when I was 45lbs heavier.

I also looked at some minimalist shoes, specifically the Nike Free series, but I decided to go to something more standard while I am still building base.  The feel is very different, and I don't know which is better.

What I really need to do is calibrate my Garmin footpod against a GPS, since it seems every treadmill in my gym gives me different distance readings, and once the mercury gets above 10 degrees, I'll try my first outdoor run in the cold.

A question for the experience runners out there - other than boredom, while doing zone 2 base building, is there anything wrong or questionable about going for longer distances?  Today ranks up there with my longest run at 6.2 miles, but 15min after I was finished, I felt 95%, so I know I have a lot more left in the tank.  I know that's the point of zone 2 training, but should my LSD runs be longer?  I'm not worried about speed right now (though I am getting steadily faster, bit by bit).  

Thanks, 

-Charles

Push it up 10% for your LSD run for 3 weeks.  Then reduce on the 4th week.  repeat cycle, and in a few months you'll be doing half marathon distances on a regular basis.  speed will come with conditioning as you venture down that road.

2012-12-30 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4553516

User image

Expert
thor67 - 2012-12-29 10:24 PM
Qua17 - 2012-12-29 8:22 PM

Nice job on the run!

What kind of headphones? I am in the market for a new pair. Looking at yurbuds....

Thor - Meelectronics... Let me know how the yurbuds go.  Mine are worthless...

2012-12-30 10:37 AM

User image

Expert
mirthfuldragon - 2012-12-30 9:19 AM

Thanks, 

-Charles

Charles - So glad to hear the running is going well for you!  It's awesome that you feel so fresh after finishing a 10K.  My suggestion is to continue to increase your long runs by 10% each week.  So if you ran 6.5 this week, then run 7.5 next week, then 8.5 the following week, then 10, the week after that and finish with a nice rest week.  I would imagine that as you add miliage - the runs will begin to challenge you more.  By not violating the 10% rule, you run (so to speak) less of a chance of injuring yourself.  

I agree with Kevi - by the time valentine's day comes around - you will be running HM distances!  Enjoy your beer - you've earned it!

2012-12-30 12:32 PM
in reply to: #4553062

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
thor67 - 2012-12-28 2:16 PM

justinfss - 2012-12-29 9:54 AMOh right beer! Almost forgot, I had a 1 litre can on Faxe! It says it was a Danish lager. It was something we have had around for a long time and it wasn't the best beer I had ever had, but there sure was enough of it!
I tend to stay away from European can beers. They tend to sit on the shelf a lonnnng time. Well other than Guinness of course. :-)

True enough, it was actually a Christmas present from last year, whichs let's you know how old it really was. Redeeming factor was that it came with a really cool mug that reminds me of the Mugs in the bier gartens of Munich!
2012-12-30 1:12 PM
in reply to: #4553077

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
kevinbe - 2012-12-28 2:37 PM

thor67 - 2012-12-29 7:29 AM
kevinbe - 2012-12-28 10:26 PM

I'm inspire BDAS.

Here's my 2013:

May Bloomsday 12 K 50:00 or bust.

May 19th Windermere Marathon 3:20:00 or bust.

September 15th Grand Columbian HIM distance Tri, 6:00:00 or bust on a difficult hilly course.

2014 goals:

May Troika HIM, 5:00:00 or bust

Couer D'Alene IM, or Challenge Penticton IM distance race.  12:00:00 or bust.

You should throw an oly or sprint in there. How was the fishin'?

Nah, HIM or greater for me.  $$  starts to add up. 

Fishing was worthless, the only thing I caught was a killer buzz and headache, and a little heat for the above buzz and headache when I got home.  I got outfished and outdrank by brother in laws, but the times were great.

Proceed to party.

A Bad day fishing is better than a good day at work!

2012-12-30 1:46 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
GOALS

1) Lose Weight/ Gain Health
2) Complete an 1/2 Iron Distance Race
3) Stay Consistent

OBJECTIVES

to help achieve goals

1) a. 30 Day Paleo kick start (this will not be good for the beer drinking....but it will help me appreciate beer more than ever I think)
b. Crossfit x2/ Week
c. Monthly Naturopath visits

2) a. S/B/R x2 each/week
b. Complete at least, 1 sprint early in the season (May/Jun) 1 Oly Mid Season (Jul/Aug), HIM (Sep/Oct)
c. following a training plan and consistent logging

3) a. Keep a positive mind frame
b. stay healthy with smart training and living
c. Get Serious about it!

CALENDAR

Jan - Train
Feb - Train/ Resume beer drinking
Mar - Train/ Continue beer drinking
Apr - Train/ Get serious about beer drinking
May- Ottawa Half Marathon / Drink beer in Ottawa
June- TBD sprint/ Revel in beer drinking as the summer has returned!
July - Timmins Heart of Gold Sprint/ Drink beer
Aug - Timmins Half Marathon, TBD Oly/ Drink Beer
Sept - TBD HIM / Drink more beer
Oct - Heart of Gold 5K/ Beer of course
Nov - Train/ Drink beer
Dec- Reindeer Run 10K / Holiday special beers!

So it looks like the first part of the year will be run focused, but swimming has to start up again as well. Biking is a no go here until around May due to snowy road conditions but I am going to try and get in some spinning when I can.

Now I have to find and register for some races...to keep me honest!
2012-12-30 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Wiff - 2012-12-28 3:53 PM

<<<<>>>>

That is awesome..congratulations and great job! You should be impressed and dont be reluctant to brag to friends and family, your success could be the motivator they need to start getting healthy!!!

Again Awesome JOB!
2012-12-30 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Wiff - 2012-12-28 3:53 PM

<<<<>>>>

That is awesome..congratulations and great job! You should be impressed and dont be reluctant to brag to friends and family, your success could be the motivator they need to start getting healthy!!!

Again Awesome JOB!
2012-12-30 2:30 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
mirthfuldragon - 2012-12-30 8:19 AM

Thanks, 

-Charles

1. Buy all the shoes and wear them.

2. There is nothing wrong with going longer. If you go slow. You will find that there is a point in your runs were your pace just tanks. Once you got to that point no real point in continueing unless you are training for a slow trek across a desert.

However, I would wonder why you want to increase your long run. You have consistant training over the past 2 months. Your best bet, to increase over all fitness, stregnth and ability to run would be to run more often. So add another day a week of running. If you are limited in the number of days you can run it may make sense to increase all of your runs by a lesser amount rather than your long run by a greater amount.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97