of 44

2013-05-23 10:19 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN
Originally posted by SSMinnow

A little tip....you can get formatting back in the forums by hovering over your name, selecting settings and then rich editor!!!

If the weather is warmer than the mid 30s, I'll be doing my first outdoor ride since I went Kaboom.  Still not allowed to ride the TT bike, but it's a start!

Yep, it works!!

I like Kyla's posts too!!

2013-05-23 10:55 PM
in reply to: dcon

User image

Master
Originally posted by dcon

A little tip....you can get formatting back in the forums by hovering over your name, selecting settings and then rich editor!!!

If the weather is warmer than the mid 30s, I'll be doing my first outdoor ride since I went Kaboom.  Still not allowed to ride the TT bike, but it's a start!

Yep, it works!!

(blushing)

But yay!!!! Pretty colors!!! THANKS, Suzy!!! Now I can post GIRLY stuff in HOT PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Dan, thanks for the tip about hovering over someone's avatar to get into their training log. I swear, that was a life-saver for me (stalker)!! Still figuring this whole thing out -- finding rich formatting was a bit convoluted but I'm sure I'll sleep better tonight!!

Peace out!!!

2013-05-24 8:55 AM
in reply to: kkcbelle

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Originally posted by kkcbelle

Yep, it works!!

(blushing)

But yay!!!! Pretty colors!!! THANKS, Suzy!!! Now I can post GIRLY stuff in HOT PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Dan, thanks for the tip about hovering over someone's avatar to get into their training log. I swear, that was a life-saver for me (stalker)!! Still figuring this whole thing out -- finding rich formatting was a bit convoluted but I'm sure I'll sleep better tonight!!

Peace out!!!

You can post MANLY stuff in HOT PINK too!

2013-05-24 9:26 AM
in reply to: gdale

User image

Veteran
Naples
No races this weekend, but next weekend (June 2nd) is the Naples Fitness Challenge (Format is flipped Run(5K) , Bike(15K) and Swim(1/4 mile) ). I have done this race off and on since it started over 20 years ago. Lots of fun, held at a great spot, very flat and fast. For the past five years I have been trying to break an hour, I'm always a few minutes too slow, last year was 1:04:32, the year before 1:02:21. So I'm right there, this year I'm going for an hour again.

Don't know how my foot will react (I have Platers Faciticus, or whatever it's called), the run is going to be a mystery. I did run on the treadmill the other day and was able to hold a 7:30 pace for 10 mins. Foot hurt but it was ok. So I am hopeful. My biking is strong, I did 10 miles and averaged 22 mph last Saturday on a very flat course with very little if any wind, my swim I hope to be around 8:15 or 8:30 (they always mark the course different, never exactly right :0) ). The transitions are long, long run to the beach from the transition area, they r killers. They always take two or three minutes to run to the beach.

My favorite race was 2008 Chicago Marathon, my dad (67 at the time) and my twin brother ran it wtih me. It was awesome!!!!! Ironman is a close second if the bike course wasn't so hilly

2013-05-24 9:28 AM
in reply to: gdale

User image

Veteran
Naples
Hot Pink! Just not going to happen..... LOL
2013-05-24 9:39 AM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
Well went back to the doc yesterday. He said I could get back in the pool next weekend and start exercising a week after Monday. I am not sure If I can wait that long. I have not been doing well not being active. I have been going back and forth between bad habits. I think I am going to see how I feel next week and try and ease back into training. I am afraid I have lost the little foundation that I have built.

2013-05-24 10:16 AM
in reply to: mbehr1983

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Originally posted by mbehr1983 Well went back to the doc yesterday. He said I could get back in the pool next weekend and start exercising a week after Monday. I am not sure If I can wait that long. I have not been doing well not being active. I have been going back and forth between bad habits. I think I am going to see how I feel next week and try and ease back into training. I am afraid I have lost the little foundation that I have built.

Depending on what the doc will allow, try to be active without training.  Longer, fast paced walks.  Biking at a leisurely pace instead of a training pace, hiking.  The extra week that doc is telling you to take won't set you back much but messing up the surgery site by starting back too soon could set you back a lot longer.

Plus...considering the surgery site we are talking about, an injury there could impact your ability to bodysurf and that would be devastating!!!!

2013-05-24 11:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Naples
Originally posted by mbehr1983

Well went back to the doc yesterday. He said I could get back in the pool next weekend and start exercising a week after Monday. I am not sure If I can wait that long. I have not been doing well not being active. I have been going back and forth between bad habits. I think I am going to see how I feel next week and try and ease back into training. I am afraid I have lost the little foundation that I have built.

Enjoy the time off

Enjoy a few pints (of Ben and Jerry's)

Enjoy time to reflect

YEAH, DOESN'T WORK FOR ME EITHER

Hang in there

Edited by [email protected] 2013-05-24 12:05 PM
2013-05-24 12:58 PM
in reply to: swbkrun

User image

Hi,

Thought that getting a mentor might be a good thing as I train alone.

Room for one more?
2013-05-24 3:17 PM
in reply to: Milslukern

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by Milslukern Hi, Thought that getting a mentor might be a good thing as I train alone. Room for one more?

you bet!  Post a bio so we can get to know you.  If you check earlier pages you will see most of ours!

2013-05-24 4:35 PM
in reply to: mbehr1983

User image

Expert
Noosa
Originally posted by mbehr1983Well went back to the doc yesterday. He said I could get back in the pool next weekend and start exercising a week after Monday. I am not sure If I can wait that long. I have not been doing well not being active. I have been going back and forth between bad habits. I think I am going to see how I feel next week and try and ease back into training. I am afraid I have lost the little foundation that I have built.
I'd do lots of hiking at a good pace if that feels comfortable, you can gets lots of aerobic fitness that way without the pounding/bouncing in your unmentionables....

2013-05-24 4:51 PM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Expert
Noosa
I'm not sure how much it got reported in the press where you are but I'm still absolutely shocked and disgusted by the murder of the British soldier in London.I remember having to cover my uniform and take different routes when driving to prevent being targeted by the IRA when I was in the navy but this attack was something else! Just vicious and barbaric. I've a strong feeling there's going to be some very unpleasant episodes in the near future in the UK, glad I don't live there anymore.
2013-05-24 4:57 PM

User image

Name: Milslukern / Andreas Haukaas

Story: Based in Norway. Used to be a very active athlete in tennis and golf. Since 2006 gone through 4 herniated disc´s. A lot of suffering and frustration as I could not exercise the way I used to. Went through operation two years ago and have now started training regularly again for the last three months. What a relief when I discovered that my back can tolerate running and cycling again without any significant pain the next day. Knock on wood.

Training: Been following Joe Friel´s training program for Sprint Triathlon. I train every day (some days two sessions) mostly early morning sessions. Have no background from swimming, cycling or running.

Goals: Will do a sprint triathlon in Aug this summer. Then Ironman 70.3 here in Norway in July 2014 and full Ironman Kalmar, Sweden in 2015.
In between, will do some longer bicycle competitions, half marathons as well as sprint triathlons. Ultimate goal is the Norseman, if I´m lucky enough to get into that race.

Anyway, I though it might be a good idea to join this forum as I train alone and being new to this wonderful sport.

I upload my training sessions every day. Would be valuable to get some feedback on my training progress as now I just make notes to myself of how I "feel".

Andreas
2013-05-24 11:50 PM

User image

New user
Welcome Andreas, glad you are able to be back training. I am new here as well. I cant seem to access your training log, says "restricted". Do you have it set as private?

2013-05-25 12:09 AM
in reply to: Nadscats

User image

Sorry. Forgot to change access to my training log.

Should be alright now.

Andreas

2013-05-25 4:26 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Welcome Andreas, sounds like you've got a pretty good idea of where you want to go with this sport. Norseman would be awesome!

2013-05-25 6:04 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Milslukern Name: Milslukern / Andreas Haukaas Story: Based in Norway. Used to be a very active athlete in tennis and golf. Since 2006 gone through 4 herniated disc´s. A lot of suffering and frustration as I could not exercise the way I used to. Went through operation two years ago and have now started training regularly again for the last three months. What a relief when I discovered that my back can tolerate running and cycling again without any significant pain the next day. Knock on wood. Status: Married. Got two girls age 6 & 8. Training: Been following Joe Friel´s training program for Sprint Triathlon. I train every day (some days two sessions) mostly early morning sessions. Have no background from swimming, cycling or running. Goals: Will do a sprint triathlon in Aug this summer. Then Ironman 70.3 here in Norway in July 2014 and full Ironman Kalmar, Sweden in 2015. In between, will do some longer bicycle competitions, half marathons as well as sprint triathlons. Ultimate goal is the Norseman, if I´m lucky enough to get into that race. Anyway, I though it might be a good idea to join this forum as I train alone and being new to this wonderful sport. I upload my training sessions every day. Would be valuable to get some feedback on my training progress as now I just make notes to myself of how I "feel". Andreas

Congratulations on finding your way back to exercise after such a debilitating issue.  Sounds like you have your race goals firmed up nicely!  Look forward to checking out those logs. Wink

2013-05-25 9:53 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Originally posted by Milslukern

Name: Milslukern / Andreas Haukaas

Story: Based in Norway. Used to be a very active athlete in tennis and golf. Since 2006 gone through 4 herniated disc´s. A lot of suffering and frustration as I could not exercise the way I used to. Went through operation two years ago and have now started training regularly again for the last three months. What a relief when I discovered that my back can tolerate running and cycling again without any significant pain the next day. Knock on wood.

Training: Been following Joe Friel´s training program for Sprint Triathlon. I train every day (some days two sessions) mostly early morning sessions. Have no background from swimming, cycling or running.

Goals: Will do a sprint triathlon in Aug this summer. Then Ironman 70.3 here in Norway in July 2014 and full Ironman Kalmar, Sweden in 2015.
In between, will do some longer bicycle competitions, half marathons as well as sprint triathlons. Ultimate goal is the Norseman, if I´m lucky enough to get into that race.

Anyway, I though it might be a good idea to join this forum as I train alone and being new to this wonderful sport.

I upload my training sessions every day. Would be valuable to get some feedback on my training progress as now I just make notes to myself of how I "feel".

Andreas

Welcome and awesome race schedule. All of those races look and and Norseman would be an unreal experience. You will find everything you need here in this group.... And a little more!!
2013-05-26 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
Welcome Andreas!

2013-05-26 11:24 AM

User image

Summer vacation coming up in end of june and will spend 2 weeks in Portugal. I will be in week 8 of my 12 weeks sprint plan and wondering what to do? Running and swimming sessions will be ok I guess. Will suffer on my bike sessions. Initial thought is to go back to week 6 when I get home and pick it up from there. Any suggestions?

2013-05-26 3:04 PM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by Milslukern

Summer vacation coming up in end of june and will spend 2 weeks in Portugal. I will be in week 8 of my 12 weeks sprint plan and wondering what to do? Running and swimming sessions will be ok I guess. Will suffer on my bike sessions. Initial thought is to go back to week 6 when I get home and pick it up from there. Any suggestions?

I spend two weeks in Hawaii every year with no bike and "some"OWS, but not a lot and not at any meaningful intensity.  I let my run workouts carry me and when I return I start right back on the plan.  The first ride or two will be tougher, but that's the carrot!  Just make sure you get those runs in the way the are written and you'll fine!  

2013-05-26 4:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Trying to be patient and learn this new site, but the ADHD is flaring. AAAGGHHHH!!!

Not racing this weekend (HA! Bit late for the response, eh?) Watched my eldest graduate with her Master's Wednesday -super proud, but training this week has suffered a bit. Tried to make it all up yesterday and today. OY. Need to find a training plan, quickly, and stay with it!!

Welcome to the newbies! Mike, take care of the critical bits. Another week off won't kill you - and if I was your wife, I wouldn't want you taking the risk!

LONG TERM!!! Life is an endurance sport!!

And HOW do I add color?!?! GO SHARKS!!!! Needs to be teal and large.

eta:  I got it!  Woot!!

Edited by velcromom 2013-05-26 4:26 PM
2013-05-27 7:13 AM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

I'm curious.   Does anyone use tubulars?   If so, can you provide some insights into how difficult it is to deal with a flat?

2013-05-27 3:14 PM
in reply to: dcon

User image

Champion

I'm curious.   Does anyone use tubulars?   If so, can you provide some insights into how difficult it is to deal with a flat?

Yes and No.  Having ridden the bike only once no experience with the flat,  yet.  I bought pit stop to go along with mine which is not only air, but a sealant which is supposedly able to close the hold assuiming it isn't some enormous gash in the side wall.  I was very reluctant to go this route and only did so because of the limited availability of good 650 wheels.

2013-05-27 10:19 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Yes and No.  Having ridden the bike only once no experience with the flat,  yet.  I bought pit stop to go along with mine which is not only air, but a sealant which is supposedly able to close the hold assuiming it isn't some enormous gash in the side wall.  I was very reluctant to go this route and only did so because of the limited availability of good 650 wheels.

Suzy...I can give you the wheels off one of my kid's bikes if you need some small wheels.  They are clinchers!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44