Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2023-02-26 6:49 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Well Miss 2 was pretty much over her bug by friday afternoon. Unfortunately I got home from my Saturday morning run to a sick Mrs Bullfrog, joined on Sunday by Mr 5. So looking at their timeframe I'm expecting to go down in a heap Tuesday...

Otherwise not a great week. 3 zwift rides and 2 runs. 4 hours total for the week.

This week is Ironman NZ. So my social media will be full of pre race/race day coverage. Got to use that as motivation for a good week, rather than sulking I'm not there. Only 53 training weeks till the next one

2023-02-26 11:08 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by bulfrog

Originally posted by drfoodlove
It dawned on me this morning that I can just slap a tube in my tire and call it good! Simple fix, with materials I already have available and I don't have to try to negotiate my way into buying anything at a shop I don't really know exists in a place far away from my current apartment. That I only have one tube is a problem for future Gretchen. :D

Sorry about the mechanicals. That sounds like the easiest fix, and least disruptive to your training. It might be worth getting your wife to send you a care package, tubes/sealant/floor pump etc. rather than hoping for the best with the non existing bike shops over there?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I'd have better luck trying to manufacture sealants and tubes here than trying to have them imported from abroad (outside of people smuggling stuff in their luggage when they visit). Customs here is such a nightmare that even if something was sent overnight via a reputable company (FedEx,DHL,etc.) there is little chance I would ever get the delivery.
2023-02-26 11:10 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Well Miss 2 was pretty much over her bug by friday afternoon. Unfortunately I got home from my Saturday morning run to a sick Mrs Bullfrog, joined on Sunday by Mr 5. So looking at their timeframe I'm expecting to go down in a heap Tuesday...

Otherwise not a great week. 3 zwift rides and 2 runs. 4 hours total for the week.

This week is Ironman NZ. So my social media will be full of pre race/race day coverage. Got to use that as motivation for a good week, rather than sulking I'm not there. Only 53 training weeks till the next one

Andrew! Fingers crossed that you being out of town saves you from this round of "family bonding"!! You all have been through the ringer this year!

Hopefully your social media coverage is motivating, not depressing. For what it is worth, it seems like you made the right decision with all you've been through this year.
2023-02-26 11:14 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I toughed it out through a whopping 1250yds in the pool this morning after a strength training session. I forgot my goggles, so that 1250 was kinda rough--probably more like 1350 by the time I count all the tacking across the pool I did! The pool has a bunch of curves and alcoves created by permanent potted plants extended into the pool, so swimming the length is already pretty focused on a narrow lane down the middle of the pool. Take away my goggles and rely on me to swim in a straight line...well, there was a lot of bouncing off stuff until I realized I could sight as if in an OWS and at least not run into things. My eyes are burning though. I have a dinner meeting with a colleague tonight. I hope they aren't still red and burning then!
2023-02-27 4:31 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Hope you don't join the family here.

Yes, better to use it as motivation but the brain doesn't always do what you want it to do
2023-02-27 5:04 AM
in reply to: #5284506

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
The adventures of Gretchen, Volume 451
I have to see this pool, as I am struggling to picture it. I really admire your commitment though. If I ran into all the barriers you do I would just take it as a sign (aka use it as an excuse not to do it).

Andrew, good luck staying healthy! Hopefully you avoid it and can have a good training week.

Nathalie, great work going dry for almost 2 full months! I've been doing pretty well with my cutting back for the most part. This weekend I had a few mimosas at a brunch, but otherwise was dry and super productive.

2023-02-27 5:08 AM
in reply to: #5284541

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went to masters practice Saturday and got in about 2500. I'm already feeling a lot stronger after just a few practices. I have a break from vball for a few weeks so am going to add in Monday night practice also to get up to speed a bit faster.

My friend organized a hill challenge yesterday morning at a place called Oregon Ridge. The hill was about a half mile up, and we all did it for 90 minutes to see how many times we could make it up/down. I got 6 1/2 in, coming out to 6.2 miles, 1716 ft of elevation. It was rough, but also made me feel more excited about training, because if I could get through that, I can definitely run around my local park haha
2023-02-27 5:15 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

My friend organized a hill challenge yesterday morning at a place called Oregon Ridge. The hill was about a half mile up, and we all did it for 90 minutes to see how many times we could make it up/down. I got 6 1/2 in, coming out to 6.2 miles, 1716 ft of elevation. It was rough, but also made me feel more excited about training, because if I could get through that, I can definitely run around my local park haha

If a "friend" did this to me, I'd be finding new friends!! :D
2023-02-27 5:25 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hit me with your best chamois cream alternatives. I'm desperately low and there is none to be found in all of Egypt! Even Amazon.eg returns nothing when you search for it. I've read about Noxema (concerned about menthol giving it an interesting sensation) and petroleum jelly (might be a pain to wash out of bibs). Also lanolin oil and coconut butter, but I've never tried any of these and am not sure I can even get them locally. This was a serious mispack!!

On a brighter note...I took my wheel to the bike shop I originally bought my trainer at and was able to get a tube installed. I couldn't do it myself because I couldn't get the nut holding the tubeless stem on the wheel off without any tools (of which, I have none!). Annoying to have to go to the bike shop and negotiate it all in Arabic just because I don't have a pair of pliers, but it is done now and I can do my ride tomorrow.
2023-02-27 6:39 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove It dawned on me this morning that I can just slap a tube in my tire and call it good! Simple fix, with materials I already have available and I don't have to try to negotiate my way into buying anything at a shop I don't really know exists in a place far away from my current apartment. That I only have one tube is a problem for future Gretchen. :D
Sorry about the mechanicals. That sounds like the easiest fix, and least disruptive to your training. It might be worth getting your wife to send you a care package, tubes/sealant/floor pump etc. rather than hoping for the best with the non existing bike shops over there?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I'd have better luck trying to manufacture sealants and tubes here than trying to have them imported from abroad (outside of people smuggling stuff in their luggage when they visit). Customs here is such a nightmare that even if something was sent overnight via a reputable company (FedEx,DHL,etc.) there is little chance I would ever get the delivery.

I was thinking the same thing...I'd imagine customs without a signficant "gratuity" would result in your package going home with a customs agent.

Countries are super wary of stuff coming from the U.S. - fun fact:  did you know you cannot import Kraft Macaroni & Cheese into Ireland because the powdered cheese stuff is not allowed?  

2023-02-27 6:47 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Hit me with your best chamois cream alternatives. I'm desperately low and there is none to be found in all of Egypt! Even Amazon.eg returns nothing when you search for it. I've read about Noxema (concerned about menthol giving it an interesting sensation) and petroleum jelly (might be a pain to wash out of bibs). Also lanolin oil and coconut butter, but I've never tried any of these and am not sure I can even get them locally. This was a serious mispack!! On a brighter note...I took my wheel to the bike shop I originally bought my trainer at and was able to get a tube installed. I couldn't do it myself because I couldn't get the nut holding the tubeless stem on the wheel off without any tools (of which, I have none!). Annoying to have to go to the bike shop and negotiate it all in Arabic just because I don't have a pair of pliers, but it is done now and I can do my ride tomorrow.

You can mix up yourself a concoction.  Find a basic skin lotion (if there's cocoa butter in it so much the better) mix in some aloe vera...voila!  I wouldn't use the Noxema because of the menthol, and I'd be concerned about it messing up your chamios or the lycra in the shorts.  Ditto for the petrolem jelly.  

2023-02-27 8:09 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, all.  We made it down to Hilton Head on Saturday...pretty much drove straight through with gas/BR and McDonald's stops.  It's in the low 80s here this week (typically maybe 70) so going to get an outdoor ride in this week and lots of outdoor running including some on the sand here (it's hardpack so great to run on).  I found a local pool I can join for a week and they even have a Masters team if I want to pay another $10.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

2023-02-27 10:49 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

If a "friend" did this to me, I'd be finding new friends!! :D

Lol, we were all cursing him, but it ended up being really good. A bunch of people are doing Ragnar Tahoe this summer so they will be doing LOTS of hill workouts. I'm on the fence about this Ragnar. I just really hate running at night. But if I can get the benefits of training with them without having to run 4000+ ft of elevation that's included, I will take it!
2023-02-27 10:52 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen, glad you were able to deal with the tire! I don't yet own a pair of chamois (I know, I'm a weirdo), so can provide no recommendations unfortunately.

Mike, glad you made it safe! That weather is certainly more amenable to February/March training!
2023-02-27 7:50 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Hit me with your best chamois cream alternatives. I'm desperately low and there is none to be found in all of Egypt! Even Amazon.eg returns nothing when you search for it. I've read about Noxema (concerned about menthol giving it an interesting sensation) and petroleum jelly (might be a pain to wash out of bibs). Also lanolin oil and coconut butter, but I've never tried any of these and am not sure I can even get them locally. This was a serious mispack!!

My first choice would be petroleum jelly, and just deal with the mess. Failing that try some babies nappy cream, it might be more suited for dealing with the post ride chafe than prevention but could be worth a shot? At least it'll be available. I may or may not have first hand experience that it'll help with post ironman chafe...

It's a glamourous sport isn't it
2023-02-28 12:31 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Glamorous...that's exactly the word I would use...hahaha.

Thanks for the suggestions for chamois cream!

Hour run this morning with 4x2.5' Z4 intervals, which hurt a lot this morning. Partly my own fault, in that I was up way too late last night having dinner with friends, but partly the air quality. When you can see the air, but not the other side of the river, you should certainly rethink an outdoor run. There is a quantifiable metric for air quality used commonly here...PM2.5 (particulate matter less than 2.5micrograms in diameter)--right now, the level is 51, and "safe" is 26. I should have looked before I went out.

2023-02-28 1:09 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Nathalie, great work going dry for almost 2 full months! I've been doing pretty well with my cutting back for the most part. This weekend I had a few mimosas at a brunch, but otherwise was dry and super productive.

Thanks, feels great, I think I will keep going like that, a beer now and then and wine if we go out for a nice meal for example. And definitely not before a race.

Good for you, it’s not about giving it up completely (unless we really have a problem) but to be able to enjoy a couple now and then and then go back to dry is a nice balance.
2023-02-28 4:47 AM
in reply to: #5284542

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
@Nat totally agree! My 25 year old self would think I'm old but really I'm just getting wiser ??

Did some strength and stretching yesterday morning (10 min arms, 10 minute core, 5 minute stretching), and went to masters practice last night. I was asked about my MRS degree again. It truly is amazing how thick some people can be. Other than that it was fine. He had us mimic a meet, so we'd warm up, then do some fast stuff, then "race" off blocks, then don't again. We "raced" a 50 free, 100 free and 200 free. Overall only did about 1500 yds I think
2023-03-01 12:26 AM
in reply to: #5284561

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nicole—I continue to be infuriated by your swim coach. Such questions were never okay, but ffs! It is 2023 and you are a successful, accomplished, amazing woman! Mrs. degree is such an insult.

2023-03-01 12:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2000yds in the pool today, followed immediately by a 60’ Z2 spin. It isn’t an idea brick, but I have no time this afternoon to get in my bike due to obligations and the smog is so bad I wanted to get everything out of the way before it gets any worse. This morning, I can barely see the building across the Nile from my apartment.

February Totals--not bad for a short month
Swim: 4h 16m 43s - 10350 Yd
Bike: 16h 24m 49s
Run: 10h 49m 53s - 47.58 Mi
Strength: 5h 50m

Edited by drfoodlove 2023-03-01 2:45 AM
2023-03-01 6:21 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Nicole—I continue to be infuriated by your swim coach. Such questions were never okay, but ffs! It is 2023 and you are a successful, accomplished, amazing woman! Mrs. degree is such an insult.

Ditto.  I would respond with, "Wow...I'm SHOCKED you're divorced." LOL

2023-03-01 6:27 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Andrew:  diaper cream is a great idea for a Butt'r substitute.

@Gretchen:  that air quality seems gross; here you can see the pollen in the air (so far hasn't bothered me too much) but that's not pollen you're breathing 

2023-03-01 6:59 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove Nicole—I continue to be infuriated by your swim coach. Such questions were never okay, but ffs! It is 2023 and you are a successful, accomplished, amazing woman! Mrs. degree is such an insult.

Ditto.  I would respond with, "Wow...I'm SHOCKED you're divorced." LOL

Yeah, I almost came back with "how's your new Mr. degree?" b/c I heard he and his g/f broke up a few months ago...if only I were able.

I reached out to our other coach to get some advice on how to approach it. I'm thinking of sending him a direct message that just says, I've asked you to stop asking me that question. It is offensive and it is not at all my goal in life to be someone's wife. Please don't ask me again.

I really appreciate yall's support <3 If I didn't love the people on the team so much I definitely wouldn't go back, but they keep me motivated. Maybe I'll try out a new team anyway, see if I get as much out of it.
2023-03-01 9:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I would have left that team long ago. Not just because of questions like that but also because his style of coaching (shouting at folk if I got the right picture) is a big turn off.

Alright, February numbers

Swims: 0, nada zilch, total 0 meters/miles/yards/km/inches/cm

I have to look up the rest.

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-03-01 9:38 AM
2023-03-01 10:11 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

, Kronobergs lan
run: 12h54 101km
bike: 13h58-- all on zwift- don't know how many virtual km
Strength: about 3 hours
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 122

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland