Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 142

2024-06-18 7:20 AM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Great job, Nat.  You'll be throwing around kettlebells any day now. 

Tuesday Pain Cave session this morning - 25 min bike warmup, 35 min on the treadmill with 2 x 4' @ I pace (just under 8:00/mile) as the main set, the rest Z2 or walking recovery.  Legs really had the "snap" this morning - felt great.  Then we did 40+ minutes of strength and planks.  Main plank set was 1:15 on / :30 off around the world (prone, left, back bridge, right, front).  That hurt.  Also kinda ran out of gas on the last couple of arm sets, probably because I did some heavier strength stuff on Saturday and haven't fully recovered yet. 

Morning swim, lunch bike tomorrow.

@Robert - good job on the tempo run outdoors in the humidity - you're probably losing :30/mile right now with the weather.

2024-06-18 7:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Nice work Mike!

I briefly hit 8:30 pace when I was being chased by a mean stinging insect a half mile into the tempo run. Not a fan of stinging insects that chase me down for a 1/4 mile.

Edited by robertChiefsFan 2024-06-18 7:23 AM
2024-06-18 9:19 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by robertChiefsFan

Nice work Mike!

I briefly hit 8:30 pace when I was being chased by a mean stinging insect a half mile into the tempo run. Not a fan of stinging insects that chase me down for a 1/4 mile.

whatever motivates you ! LOL
2024-06-18 9:23 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I don't think I'll be throwing kettlebells around soon (or ever) but I will put the kettle on and have cup of tea.

Well done guys, crushing it!

2024-06-18 9:41 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Originally posted by Rollergirl

I don't think I'll be throwing kettlebells around soon (or ever) but I will put the kettle on and have cup of tea.

ooooh, I love a cup of tea! I just brewed some roasted dandelion root, actually. What are you having?
2024-06-18 9:47 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Nice work Mike!

HAHAHAHA this totally sounds like something that would happen to me!!

Today, a turtle growled at me as I was moving him across the road. Being totally unaware that turtles made noises, let alone growled (the internet describes it as a purr), I was quite surprised and nearly dropped the turtle.

2024-06-18 9:51 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Brick today for me, after a leisurely lie in until all of 6:30am. I told my wife I was going to sleep until I couldn't sleep anymore...sigh. I'm just not designed to sleep in. It kills her.

30' Z2 bike followed by 60' anaerobic interval run (6x2.5 Z5 with 5' RI). The run was tough, but mostly because the humidity is back here and is angry it waited so long to arrive, so has arrived with a vengeance. I think I would be better off wearing my swim suit for these runs, because it is more like swimming than running. Yay for summer in the Midwest!!
2024-06-18 9:56 AM

User image

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Nice work Mike!

Today, a turtle growled at me as I was moving him across the road. Being totally unaware that turtles made noises, let alone growled (the internet describes it as a purr), I was quite surprised and nearly dropped the turtle.

I'm pretty sure the stinging insect was growling at me, now that I think about it. I had no clue that turtles made any sort of noise, either! Glad you didn't drop the turtle!
2024-06-18 10:03 AM

User image

Brick today for me, after a leisurely lie in until all of 6:30am. I told my wife I was going to sleep until I couldn't sleep anymore...sigh. I'm just not designed to sleep in. It kills her.

30' Z2 bike followed by 60' anaerobic interval run (6x2.5 Z5 with 5' RI). The run was tough, but mostly because the humidity is back here and is angry it waited so long to arrive, so has arrived with a vengeance. I think I would be better off wearing my swim suit for these runs, because it is more like swimming than running. Yay for summer in the Midwest!!

I feel you on the humidity in the Midwest! We love it, though, don't we? Right?! Nice job trying to sleep in, and great training today!
2024-06-18 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan Nice work Mike! I briefly hit 8:30 pace when I was being chased by a mean stinging insect a half mile into the tempo run. Not a fan of stinging insects that chase me down for a 1/4 mile.
HAHAHAHA this totally sounds like something that would happen to me!! Today, a turtle growled at me as I was moving him across the road. Being totally unaware that turtles made noises, let alone growled (the internet describes it as a purr), I was quite surprised and nearly dropped the turtle.
I'm pretty sure the stinging insect was growling at me, now that I think about it. I had no clue that turtles made any sort of noise, either! Glad you didn't drop the turtle!

You have to be careful about which turtles you mess with around here - we have snapping turtles that'll take your finger off and they're nasty little buggers. 

2024-06-18 11:00 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e

I've been failing on my strength challenge. I did PT this morning though and it was pretty tough! Made sure to get a list of all the ones I should do on my trip, so going to start my habit there Bringing some bands and I know the hotel we will be at for most of the trip has a gym, so will scope that out when I get there. Just need to figure out what is/is not appropriate to wear while working out, since usually I show things that I typically can't there (knees/legs and shoulders!).

I haven't been to India, but I've spent a *fair* bit of time in Muslim (i.e. SUPER conservative) countries and generally, what I've found is that the gym is an "exception" place for local men and westerners of both sexes. As long as you are pretty conservative in your dress to get to the gym, you can probably wear your normal stuff there (fully acknowledging that I have no idea what you normally wear!). I generally toss on a t-shirt and long pants for the trip to the gym, then strip off the pants in the locker room (don't do it in the gym itself unless you can't help it!). Of course, things may be different in India!!

This is excellent advice, thank you! I think India is probably pretty similar. I usually wear shorts and tank tops, but am bringing some capris and tshirts for when I choose to go to the gym rather than just do exercises in my room.

2024-06-18 11:03 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Nice work Mike!

Agree, stinging insects chasing is very much a Gretchen-like story. Maybe it's where you live...except it happens to you in Egypt too...hmmmm the mystery continues

And cute story about the turtle! I love turtles, and love how conscientious you are of animals while running!

Also, your wife kicking you out of the office twice make me LOL
2024-06-18 11:14 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got a solid swim in at masters last night, a sneaky 2400 yds, and got to show off a little butterfly for a little girl who was there for lessons.

Woke up early this morning and was super productive. Have pretty much everything I need in the staging area (aka my spare room bed) and ready to be packed. I decided not to spray permethrin all over everything, so that made it easier. I can't believe I leave tomorrow! Ahhh!

Per usual, I have a million things I want to get done before I leave, but I'm planning on staying up late tonight (or wake up SUPER early tomorrow) so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm always most organized when I have a lot going on.

One thing I'm most concerned about is that I've been REALLY good about what I'm eating lately. I have been on Noom about 3 weeks and have been tracking consistently. This is easily the longest I've ever gone with tracking every day. I've been holding steady at 167 for a few days, so only down about 3 lbs since I started, but it's the lowest I've been in a couple years, and it's about 13 lbs from my heaviest weight ever in January.
I think what worries me is the unknown. It's going to be tough to keep tracking when it's allll foreign. I can't eat fruit I don't peel myself. I can't eat salad. Only hot food really, and packaged stuff. I'm going to try to grab some healthy snacks to pack tonight so I at least have something consistent for when I'm hungry and trying to stay on track. Let me know if you have any go-to healthy snacks that would be easy to throw in a suitcase!
2024-06-18 2:25 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nicole—my egypt snack list includes beef jerky (although cultural sensitivity might suggest beef would be a less than ideal choice), hulled nuts (pistachios, almonds, and cashews), protein bars (get the dense ones without chocolate…chocolate melts), Lara bars (not great for protein, but they don’t melt!), and protein powders that mix well with water (still prefer milk, but not always available from an animal I recognize as producing drinkable milk). The biggest suggestion is to get single serve or small bags/containers. This allows you to distribute through your bags in case something gets lost, not have to carry large bags of something around, AND (and maybe most importantly) will limit the damage of the sharing expectation. I don’t know about India, but in Egypt if you pulled out food, you’d be expected to share it with everyone around (and a lot of people are magically around when you pull out food). Using single serve packages limits the damage to your supply (and often everyone will decline if they see it is a small package).
2024-06-18 9:32 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Day 9(?) of the 5 minutes a day strength challenge.
Was up early so had time to do a little more (11 minutes). Still same routine, just twice. It's starting to feel good

Great job Nat. Here in the future I'm up to day 10/10. Although still in the 5 minute range. Today was pushups, squats, calf raise and bulgarian split squat... need to work on my balance for that one.

Unfortunately I've got a bit of a bursitis in one of my elbows. It came and went about a month ago, but has reemerged the last couple of days. I have no evidence, but deeply suspicious pushups may be a contributing factor. So I'll be cutting back/eliminating pushups for the next couple of days and see what happens.
2024-06-18 10:17 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Robert, Nice job on the double workout.

@Mike, That plank set hurts just reading it. Awesome job.

@Gretchen, stop picking fights with turtles. And, I've also learnt something today, who knew turtles could growl.

@Nicole, Before you travel double check the rules for bringing in food to india, and any transit points you might have. In this part of the world, NZ & Australia they are very very strict. Big fines if you show up with an apple. I've got no idea what the rules in India are, but you should definitely find out before packing your supplies

Me, After a rest day Monday (other than the bodyweight challenge) Tuesday was Bodyweight before breakfast, 40 minute evening treadmill run and a post run stretchy session. Started this morning with more bodyweight stuff and will be back on the treadmill for a fartlek interval run this evening. Last bit of quality before race day.

2024-06-18 10:47 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
It's a little bit early in the week, but I've got a busy end to the working week so not sure if I'll have time to sit down and write something out.

Sunday is Race 2 of my 2024 running season. I'll be doing the Wellington Half Marathon. I've done this race twice before in 2010 and 2019, best time on the course was 2:30:xx. Which should definitely be going down.

The course is flat, out and back along the waterfront. The forecast this far out is good about 40-50F and not too windy. But Wellington is notoriously changeable and hard to predict so who knows. My 2 previous runs have had 1 miserable, and 1 perfect, obviously hoping for another perfect.

Goal for the race: 2:15-2:20. Mr Garmin says my HM race pace is 2:17:30. and when I look at what I did in my last key workouts and compare that to what I ran in the equivalent workouts for Aprils HM, I should be looking at 2:20.

Backup goal : Go under 2:28. Which would be a PB for the course, and beat the 2:28:39 I ran in April.

Looking forward to the race, and looking forward to getting back into some more balanced Tri training after the run.
2024-06-19 3:57 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

ooooh, I love a cup of tea! I just brewed some roasted dandelion root, actually. What are you having?

I don't really drink tea, I just saw the word kettle and thought it was better than throwing weights around. But when I do it's Earl grey usually (when I'm sick, with honey)

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-06-19 3:58 AM
2024-06-19 4:00 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

Got a solid swim in at masters last night, a sneaky 2400 yds, and got to show off a little butterfly for a little girl who was there for lessons.

Woke up early this morning and was super productive. Have pretty much everything I need in the staging area (aka my spare room bed) and ready to be packed. I decided not to spray permethrin all over everything, so that made it easier. I can't believe I leave tomorrow! Ahhh!

Per usual, I have a million things I want to get done before I leave, but I'm planning on staying up late tonight (or wake up SUPER early tomorrow) so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm always most organized when I have a lot going on.

One thing I'm most concerned about is that I've been REALLY good about what I'm eating lately. I have been on Noom about 3 weeks and have been tracking consistently. This is easily the longest I've ever gone with tracking every day. I've been holding steady at 167 for a few days, so only down about 3 lbs since I started, but it's the lowest I've been in a couple years, and it's about 13 lbs from my heaviest weight ever in January.
I think what worries me is the unknown. It's going to be tough to keep tracking when it's allll foreign. I can't eat fruit I don't peel myself. I can't eat salad. Only hot food really, and packaged stuff. I'm going to try to grab some healthy snacks to pack tonight so I at least have something consistent for when I'm hungry and trying to stay on track. Let me know if you have any go-to healthy snacks that would be easy to throw in a suitcase!

Not easy to break your routine with a trip when you're on a roll, just make sure you do some damage control and don't put the weight back on while you are away so you can pick up where you left off when you're back
2024-06-19 4:02 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I'm just not designed to sleep in.

well, if you're going to bed a 7pm...
2024-06-19 4:05 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

Day 9(?) of the 5 minutes a day strength challenge.
Was up early so had time to do a little more (11 minutes). Still same routine, just twice. It's starting to feel good

Great job Nat. Here in the future I'm up to day 10/10. Although still in the 5 minute range. Today was pushups, squats, calf raise and bulgarian split squat... need to work on my balance for that one.

Unfortunately I've got a bit of a bursitis in one of my elbows. It came and went about a month ago, but has reemerged the last couple of days. I have no evidence, but deeply suspicious pushups may be a contributing factor. So I'll be cutting back/eliminating pushups for the next couple of days and see what happens.

10/10 here too (in the past for you but still in the future for the rest of the team). 7 minutes. This time I added a couple of 1kg weights for my squats and lunges.

Hope your elbow heals soon
race

2024-06-19 4:05 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

It's a little bit early in the week, but I've got a busy end to the working week so not sure if I'll have time to sit down and write something out.

Sunday is Race 2 of my 2024 running season. I'll be doing the Wellington Half Marathon. I've done this race twice before in 2010 and 2019, best time on the course was 2:30:xx. Which should definitely be going down.

The course is flat, out and back along the waterfront. The forecast this far out is good about 40-50F and not too windy. But Wellington is notoriously changeable and hard to predict so who knows. My 2 previous runs have had 1 miserable, and 1 perfect, obviously hoping for another perfect.

Goal for the race: 2:15-2:20. Mr Garmin says my HM race pace is 2:17:30. and when I look at what I did in my last key workouts and compare that to what I ran in the equivalent workouts for Aprils HM, I should be looking at 2:20.

Backup goal : Go under 2:28. Which would be a PB for the course, and beat the 2:28:39 I ran in April.

Looking forward to the race, and looking forward to getting back into some more balanced Tri training after the run.

My money is on 2:14:59
2024-06-19 6:41 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog It's a little bit early in the week, but I've got a busy end to the working week so not sure if I'll have time to sit down and write something out. Sunday is Race 2 of my 2024 running season. I'll be doing the Wellington Half Marathon. I've done this race twice before in 2010 and 2019, best time on the course was 2:30:xx. Which should definitely be going down. The course is flat, out and back along the waterfront. The forecast this far out is good about 40-50F and not too windy. But Wellington is notoriously changeable and hard to predict so who knows. My 2 previous runs have had 1 miserable, and 1 perfect, obviously hoping for another perfect. Goal for the race: 2:15-2:20. Mr Garmin says my HM race pace is 2:17:30. and when I look at what I did in my last key workouts and compare that to what I ran in the equivalent workouts for Aprils HM, I should be looking at 2:20. Backup goal : Go under 2:28. Which would be a PB for the course, and beat the 2:28:39 I ran in April. Looking forward to the race, and looking forward to getting back into some more balanced Tri training after the run.

I got 2:16:22. 

2024-06-19 6:48 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by bulfrog It's a little bit early in the week, but I've got a busy end to the working week so not sure if I'll have time to sit down and write something out. Sunday is Race 2 of my 2024 running season. I'll be doing the Wellington Half Marathon. I've done this race twice before in 2010 and 2019, best time on the course was 2:30:xx. Which should definitely be going down. The course is flat, out and back along the waterfront. The forecast this far out is good about 40-50F and not too windy. But Wellington is notoriously changeable and hard to predict so who knows. My 2 previous runs have had 1 miserable, and 1 perfect, obviously hoping for another perfect. Goal for the race: 2:15-2:20. Mr Garmin says my HM race pace is 2:17:30. and when I look at what I did in my last key workouts and compare that to what I ran in the equivalent workouts for Aprils HM, I should be looking at 2:20. Backup goal : Go under 2:28. Which would be a PB for the course, and beat the 2:28:39 I ran in April. Looking forward to the race, and looking forward to getting back into some more balanced Tri training after the run.

I got 2:16:22. 

Let's all have a bet

Nat:2:14:59
Mike: 2:16:22
Nicole: ?
Gretchen?
Robert?

May the best man/woman win.
2024-06-19 7:27 AM

User image

I got 2:15:30

Regardless - you got this!

Edited by robertChiefsFan 2024-06-19 7:28 AM
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 142

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1064 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland