Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 116

2024-06-19 8:28 AM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by robertChiefsFan

I got 2:15:30

Regardless - you got this!

I'm gonna say 2:16:30...mostly just to screwup Mike's chances of winning! :P I'm cr@p at race time predictions.

Good luck, Andrew!

2024-06-19 8:32 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
90' Tempo run for me today. It was like soup out there today. I saw a chicken and my thought was all I need now is noodles.

Nothing says summer in the Midwest like having to drain the sweat out of your running shoes before you put them on the boot dryer and having them drip. Oh...and I got followed by a biting insect for about 2 miles...until I mushed it. Nicole, my care for animals does not extend to insect that bite!
2024-06-19 10:14 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

I'm glad I'm not alone with stinging insects and Midwest humidity.

Today was a 14 mile bike on some paved bike paths heading into the hills. I am not good on hills yet. Hit the turnaround and found a strong headwind. Oh well. Ok ride. On to the gym for strength training.
2024-06-19 12:09 PM
in reply to: #5289033

User image

Strength training session in the books. Nothing else for the rest of the day. Federal holiday for Juneteenth, so no plans.
2024-06-19 3:59 PM

User image

Complete and random tangent - I was cycling through my Spotify, making a couple new running playlists, and I just have to say, the song "The Sound of Silence" as covered by Disturbed is still so incredible (to me, anyway). It's absolutely going on my new "easy run" play list. Carry on!
2024-06-19 4:11 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan Complete and random tangent - I was cycling through my Spotify, making a couple new running playlists, and I just have to say, the song "The Sound of Silence" as covered by Disturbed is still so incredible (to me, anyway). It's absolutely going on my new "easy run" play list. Carry on!

I really like that version as well.

2024-06-19 4:14 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Solid day in the books, 2K in the pool at 6 AM and a 50-minute ride focusing on Z4 at lunch (3 x 8' @ 95%, which should be my super-sprint bike race pace in a couple of weeks).  No strength work today - ran out of time, though swimming is a core workout depending on the drills you incorporate.  Tempo run in the early AM before it gets hot - it's hot but not humid yet so not stifling. 

2024-06-19 4:15 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove
Originally posted by robertChiefsFan I got 2:15:30 Regardless - you got this!
I'm gonna say 2:16:30...mostly just to screwup Mike's chances of winning! :P I'm cr@p at race time predictions. Good luck, Andrew!

That's just wrong. 

2024-06-20 7:45 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan I got 2:15:30 Regardless - you got this!
I'm gonna say 2:16:30...mostly just to screwup Mike's chances of winning! :P I'm cr@p at race time predictions. Good luck, Andrew!

That's just wrong. 

and?
2024-06-20 7:47 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice 1950 yds in the pool this morning. I know...not a round number!, but that is what the plan said to do. Actually, it said 1914 yds, but I couldn't figure out how to get out of the pool from the middle.

Later this afternoon, I have a cycling ramp test scheduled. I think I have devised a way to get both power meter data and smart trainer data to test whether they read the same, or if I need to have different zones for indoor versus outdoor riding.
2024-06-20 7:47 AM

User image

Nice work yesterday, Mike!

Z2 5 mile run for me this morning. It was humid and thick out, foggy when I took off. Found the stinging insect and a couple of his friends at the 1/2 mile mark so I turned around and went the other way on the trail. Found *another* one at the mile mark going that way, decided to just push through. I think they're actually bumblebees or some such. Seemed more curious of me than anything, but I have a weird phobia of aggressive stinging insects, so I didn't stick around to find out. It wasn't there on my return trip, thankfully.

Lunch break swim coming up later. Probably in the 500-600m range.

2024-06-20 8:26 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen:  you should be able to record different PMs on different devices...you might have to force them to do ANT+ and Bluetooth separately (though in theory you can do multiple channels on both depending on your PM).  Good luck on the setup (and the test ).

@Robert:  also not a big fan of stinging insects but generally around here they stay away from humans, except notably the wasps that like to hang out around my patio whom I'm at war with; we have some lavender growing around one of our window-wells and the good bees (bumble and honey) LOVE it.  There might be like 30-50 of them in there on a sunny afternoon, and you'd have to literally attack them for them to care about you as they're focused on the nectar.  Supposedly the lavender also keeps the wasps/hornets/yellowjackets AND mosquitoes away, but we've had mixed luck on that

Awesome 6 AM, 4+ mile tempo run this morning as cruise intervals, 2 x 3/4 mile @ T pace (~8:30 +/- a couple of seconds) with a 1' walk break in between.  That actually felt pretty easy, like zone 3 so I'm not sure where I should be pacing at this point, and I'm really bad still at pacing by feel.  I'm going to do a 5K next week as a test as long as the weather isn't pouring or 98 degrees out.  Also did 45 minutes of lower body and core work with The Wife, who is dealing with a major flare-up of an old knee injury so we did a bunch of PT stuff as well (and frankly, it can't hurt for me to do that stuff too with all of my injury history).  Going to get a quick swim in across the street at noon, assuming 1,000 kids don't show up right then.

Have a good Thursday (or night).

2024-06-20 12:15 PM

User image

Nice work this morning, everyone.

Got my 600m in the pool. Feeling comfortable. I can tell I did shoulder work at the gym yesterday - my shoulders were sore the first 300m or so. Finally settled in and felt really good. Goggles fogging up at about 450m the last couple times. Shouldn't be an issue for the tri in September, but definitely something I'll need to keep an eye on.
2024-06-20 3:20 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Good work everyone, nice to see some activity on here about being active.

Good week so far for me, training with the triathlon group on Monday (we do a sprint distance with a shorter swim), hills repeats with the running club yesterday and bike commute to work today. Usually make a workout of it but today it was just a nice ride.
And of course, at least 5 minutes strength a day every day.
2024-06-21 6:39 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Woo!! I just registered for the KC Garmin Half Marathon! I haven't done any races since 2017. I'm excited!!
2024-06-21 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan Woo!! I just registered for the KC Garmin Half Marathon! I haven't done any races since 2017. I'm excited!!

Nothing like signing up for a race to motivate you!  HM used to be my favorite run distance until I just couldn't put in the volume running to make it enjoyable. 

Of course Gretchen and Nathalie race like 10 times a year so they're perpetually motivated. 

2024-06-21 8:28 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan Woo!! I just registered for the KC Garmin Half Marathon! I haven't done any races since 2017. I'm excited!!

Nothing like signing up for a race to motivate you!  HM used to be my favorite run distance until I just couldn't put in the volume running to make it enjoyable. 

Of course Gretchen and Nathalie race like 10 times a year so they're perpetually motivated. 

That's great, Robert! When is the race? How are you training? Are you doing a plan, hiring a coach, or winging it?

I wish I raced 10 times a year!! But...I'd be a sad, broken triathlete on the side of the road trying to do 10 long course events a year.
2024-06-21 8:33 AM

User image

That's great, Robert! When is the race? How are you training? Are you doing a plan, hiring a coach, or winging it?

I wish I raced 10 times a year!! But...I'd be a sad, broken triathlete on the side of the road trying to do 10 long course events a year.

The race is Saturday, October 19. I've been following a half marathon plan through my Garmin, that adjusts based on daily training loads, sleep quality, stress, etc. It's very dynamic and seems to be working really well so far. This isn't my first HIM either. It will be my 6th, actually. Mentally, I know what to expect. It's getting my now over-40 body ready for it. My last HIM was nearly 10 years ago. LOL!
2024-06-21 8:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice 2050yd swim today (had to make up that extra 50 from yesterday!). Also known as 3060 corgis. :D

Yesterday's ramp test went well...after I figured out the tech. I hooked my new pedal power meter to my old Garmin 910...but I couldn't remember how to work that watch, so it took me a lot of googling just to figure out how to pair the power meter and run a simple unguided workout. My Garmin 935 was attached to the kicker core and I controlled the whole thing using the Kicker app. A bit cumbersome, and I'm entirely sure there is an easier way to do it, but it worked. FTP went up about 6% over the last test, which is the good news. The bad news is that the pedals and the kicker read entirely differently after the first 5' warmup interval. At first there was only a 1 watt difference, but then slowly as I got into the test more and more, the difference between the two devices got larger and larger, until it was up to about 18w. That's a pretty substantial difference!(6-7%). The weird thing is that the difference in max output was only 1w between the two. I did a bit of googling and there are a lot of reports on different forums about the kicker reading high wattage outputs. It doesn't really matter, as long as I know what numbers to use for training. I adjusted my FTP in TP so it will change the zones for workouts, since I do most of my workouts indoors, at least through the week. I also noted what I'm calling my outdoor FTP and will use that to guide outdoor workouts and pace races until I try another ramp test, which will likely be in my next rest week.

Tomorrow I finish out this rest week with a century ride...Tour de Corn in East Prairie, MO. It is flat af and a fun ride on rural isolated highways in southeast Missouri. The aid stations are well stocked, including hot, buttered corn at the first one (not that I've ever eaten hot buttered corn in 100F heat at 8:30am...the idea makes me want to barf!, but it is nice that they do it), the roads are usually in pretty good condition, and it is a great test run for gear prior to long 140.6 races. I love this ride...it is not a race...I have to keep telling myself it is not a race. :D Nevertheless...I have pacing goals! Two years ago I did this ride and ended up with a 16.4mph overall pace (and felt like poop at the end). I'd like to hit 17.0mph for the whole ride this year. Online calculators tell me that if I ride at the top end of outdoor Z2 I should be able to average 18.4mph, which would really excite me. Riding fast is fun!! Main goal, however, is to not feel like poop at the end. The forecast for tomorrow is a high of 94F with heat index of 102F (39C) and sunny, and there is NO shade on this course.

Edited by drfoodlove 2024-06-21 8:53 AM
2024-06-21 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Gretchen, your power meter discrepancy makes some sense as you should get higher power numbers on the pedals than the kicker because of drivetrain losses, not 18 watts' worth, but probably half that. 

2024-06-21 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, all.  Decent easy Friday workout for me after I blew off swimming this morning (I'll just add some tomorrow morning).  30 min bike in aero, 2 mile run on the treadmill (WAY too hot out) and some strength and core work.

@Robert - my daughter used the Garmin plans and they seem pretty good - I like how they adjust based on feedback but that would drive me crazy not knowing what I'm doing a week or two out.

Have a good weekend, all.  Good luck this weekend, Andrew!

2024-06-21 12:57 PM

User image

Friday check in. Had an early morning meeting, so no cycling this morning. Strength day at the gym.

3x8 pullups
3x12 cable cross-overs (35lbs)
4x12 deadlifts (75/85/95/95)
3x12 DB rows (35/40/40)
3x12 DB lat raises (30lbs)
3x12 triceps cable pushdown (70lbs)
3x15 cable side bend (50lbs)
Plank 2:00

8 mile run on deck tomorrow with a friend.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Friday!!
2024-06-21 4:23 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Yip, although not quite 10 times, but 8 times this year, from May 1st to september 6th

That’s great that you’ve signed up Robert!

Today was Midsummer day , which is a Swedish holiday when we drink schnapps, eat herring and meatballs and drink too much. Managed 20 minutes swim before I overindulged in the above.

Have a great weekend all!

2024-06-22 2:43 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

90' Tempo run for me today. It was like soup out there today. I saw a chicken and my thought was all I need now is noodles.

Nothing says summer in the Midwest like having to drain the sweat out of your running shoes before you put them on the boot dryer and having them drip. Oh...and I got followed by a biting insect for about 2 miles...until I mushed it. Nicole, my care for animals does not extend to insect that bite!

I don't blame you!
2024-06-22 2:47 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

@Gretchen:  you should be able to record different PMs on different devices...you might have to force them to do ANT+ and Bluetooth separately (though in theory you can do multiple channels on both depending on your PM).  Good luck on the setup (and the test ).

@Robert:  also not a big fan of stinging insects but generally around here they stay away from humans, except notably the wasps that like to hang out around my patio whom I'm at war with; we have some lavender growing around one of our window-wells and the good bees (bumble and honey) LOVE it.  There might be like 30-50 of them in there on a sunny afternoon, and you'd have to literally attack them for them to care about you as they're focused on the nectar.  Supposedly the lavender also keeps the wasps/hornets/yellowjackets AND mosquitoes away, but we've had mixed luck on that

Awesome 6 AM, 4+ mile tempo run this morning as cruise intervals, 2 x 3/4 mile @ T pace (~8:30 +/- a couple of seconds) with a 1' walk break in between.  That actually felt pretty easy, like zone 3 so I'm not sure where I should be pacing at this point, and I'm really bad still at pacing by feel.  I'm going to do a 5K next week as a test as long as the weather isn't pouring or 98 degrees out.  Also did 45 minutes of lower body and core work with The Wife, who is dealing with a major flare-up of an old knee injury so we did a bunch of PT stuff as well (and frankly, it can't hurt for me to do that stuff too with all of my injury history).  Going to get a quick swim in across the street at noon, assuming 1,000 kids don't show up right then.

Have a good Thursday (or night).

Disagree on biting bugs staying away from humans here! In the summer, we get some nasty horseflies, especially where I play volleyball! I think when they bite you, they insert a homing beacon into your ankle. Doesn't matter how many times you shoo them away, it will somehow come right back!
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 116

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 964 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland