BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2013 (Year 3!) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2013-04-22 5:36 PM
in reply to: #4710591

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2013 (Year 3!) - CLOSED
everlong - 2013-04-22 6:30 PM

kidtri33 - 2013-04-22 4:50 PM That last spike into 190 was up the last steep short hill, I felt that pretty good and had to collect myself. I felt really comfortable for most of the race actually. I was surprised to see how well I slowly rose through the whole race. You may be right, I don't remember the last time I was at that HR for that long of a time. However if I didn't have the HR monitor and was going off of RPE then I would have felt good and continued at that pace anyway. So from your take, I am assuming it was too much too soon? What is the harm or even possible benefit from this?

No you ran a great race. I was more lamenting pushing that hard for that long when you haven't in a bit. My last HM was 14 months ago and I think my average HR was 175. Doing HIMs you're pushing for a longer period but never at that all out level or maybe just the last few miles if you have it in you.

Thanks. Whew you had me worried there for a moment Ok I understand, I know I can't hold that for HIM haha!

2013-04-22 5:40 PM
in reply to: #4710580

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
ccmpsyd - 2013-04-22 6:20 PMI defer to the pros but I would think that if you can sustain effort at a high heart rate, great. You didn't have anything after, so floor it. I would guess the downside is not being able to sustain the effort and crashing and burning later in the run or bike etc.

Or one's heart could explode. But, again, I'm not an expert.
No heart exploding please. Actually that is one of the reasons I do this. My Grandfather died from heart disease, my Dad has had quadruple bypass, and my Uncle has had a stint put in and he is pretty healthy. I want to do everything I can to make sure I don't end up like that. I have had two times above 210 and I know those times have probably been my biggest failures but I get check ups every year with extra heart test and blood work to keep an eye on things. So yea I am hoping my heart doesn't explode
2013-04-22 5:52 PM
in reply to: #4710580

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

ccmpsyd - 2013-04-22 6:20 PM I defer to the pros but I would think that if you can sustain effort at a high heart rate, great. You didn't have anything after, so floor it. I would guess the downside is not being able to sustain the effort and crashing and burning later in the run or bike etc.

Or one's heart could explode. But, again, I'm not an expert.

If you are rested and recovered, you should be able to sustain a HR just at or a bit above LT for the duration of a half marathon.  You don't need extensive above LT training in order to do this. 

Once again, we're talking about best sustainable effort.  What constitutes best sustainable effort is different depending on the race distance.  This is why pacing is so important. 

For a 10 mile race, Larkin did a really good job of racing at "best sustainable effort." 

2013-04-23 6:55 AM
in reply to: #4542521

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut

Okay, so I've been using the local bike shop group rides on Monday and Wednesday nights for the past 3 years as part of my training, and needless to say; old habbits are hard to break.  The structure of the group rides are: A Group (+20mph average pace for 30 to 40 miles), B Group (16 to 18mph for 20 to 30), C Group (12 to 14), D Group (well scenery is just as important), and E Group (yes, there's a E for first timers, mountain bikes, hybrids, etc). 

So last week the 65 riders in C group were all sharks, because before long a huge pack broke off and we were doing an average of 18 to 19mph - I totally blew my heart rate zone for that training ride and really heard about it from the coach - "Bad Todd".  Now, last night those riders that broke away in the C Group were forced by GUILT into the B Group - and of course I went along with it.  This time it was 3,000 feet of climbing in 25 miles - mostly in 3 BIG hills called the "Three Amigos", and one medium size hill (Thier Little Friend) - once again, my Z2 ride turned out to be a Z3.

I felt great, even at the end, I had plety of power and energy left even though it was only 25 miles - I think I understand what I am sacraficing by not staying in the proper HR zone: I'm not training my body to run effeciently for the long haul at a steady pace.  Last night I did learn to stay in a low gear, stay seated, and "spin" up the hills with a higher cadance - so it wasn't all bad right?

How accurate are these HR Zones to start with?  I did a test back in January with the coach, that ended up being a huge failure, which yielded nothing - so through some "black magic' behind the curtains, I received my HR Zones - which I think are too low - is there a tried and true method of accurately figuring out your HR Zones?

2013-04-23 7:35 AM
in reply to: #4711089

User image

Pro
CyFair
cobratodd - 2013-04-23 6:55 AM

Okay, so I've been using the local bike shop group rides on Monday and Wednesday nights for the past 3 years as part of my training, and needless to say; old habbits are hard to break.  The structure of the group rides are: A Group (+20mph average pace for 30 to 40 miles), B Group (16 to 18mph for 20 to 30), C Group (12 to 14), D Group (well scenery is just as important), and E Group (yes, there's a E for first timers, mountain bikes, hybrids, etc). 

So last week the 65 riders in C group were all sharks, because before long a huge pack broke off and we were doing an average of 18 to 19mph - I totally blew my heart rate zone for that training ride and really heard about it from the coach - "Bad Todd".  Now, last night those riders that broke away in the C Group were forced by GUILT into the B Group - and of course I went along with it.  This time it was 3,000 feet of climbing in 25 miles - mostly in 3 BIG hills called the "Three Amigos", and one medium size hill (Thier Little Friend) - once again, my Z2 ride turned out to be a Z3.

I felt great, even at the end, I had plety of power and energy left even though it was only 25 miles - I think I understand what I am sacraficing by not staying in the proper HR zone: I'm not training my body to run effeciently for the long haul at a steady pace.  Last night I did learn to stay in a low gear, stay seated, and "spin" up the hills with a higher cadance - so it wasn't all bad right?

How accurate are these HR Zones to start with?  I did a test back in January with the coach, that ended up being a huge failure, which yielded nothing - so through some "black magic' behind the curtains, I received my HR Zones - which I think are too low - is there a tried and true method of accurately figuring out your HR Zones?

It depends.  If the test truly was a fail then your coach should retest 4-6 weeks later to verify/fine tune.  There are methods that are more accurate than others, but in reality your fitness level is going to change in 6 weeks and there is a margin for error so a good field test every so often to verify and fine tune is a good idea.

2013-04-23 7:53 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

3300 in the pool this morning. 

Wide awake at 3:45 this morning.  Boo.  Abby woke up with a nightmare, then Quinn had to eat and Cindy turns on the lamp in the room to do that (normally not a problem but I was already borderline lucid), then Quinn wouldn't go back to sleep.  Today is Cindy's first day back at the office so I grabbed the munchkin.  I need a nap.

2013-04-23 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4711179

User image

Expert
uhcoog - 2013-04-23 8:53 AM

Wide awake at 3:45 this morning.  Boo.  Abby woke up with a nightmare, then Quinn had to eat and Cindy turns on the lamp in the room to do that (normally not a problem but I was already borderline lucid), then Quinn wouldn't go back to sleep.  Today is Cindy's first day back at the office so I grabbed the munchkin.  I need a nap.

Major empathy. Between Blake (baby) and Avery (toddler) we've had three bad nights in a row and it's taking it's toll. I hope you get your nap.

Half hour recovery ride on the trainer, 2800 in the pool and a 2 mile recovery run.

I'm psyched with my swim. I broke my 400 yard record at 5:50 by a full ten seconds and the best part was I wasn't trying to. I knew my pace was brisk but I was really just focused in on my form and didn't try to fly until the last 50 when I thought in the back of my head hey this has been a really good interval. I hit the wall and did a double take not expecting that at all. I could have kept going and didn't have that hypoxic gasping feeling after a speed interval that you can get. 5:50 in the swimming world is nothing great but for me it's a major barrier to get below 6-flat.

2013-04-23 8:55 AM
in reply to: #4711151

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
uhcoog - 2013-04-23 8:35 AM
cobratodd - 2013-04-23 6:55 AM

It depends.  If the test truly was a fail then your coach should retest 4-6 weeks later to verify/fine tune.  There are methods that are more accurate than others, but in reality your fitness level is going to change in 6 weeks and there is a margin for error so a good field test every so often to verify and fine tune is a good idea.

Once you are "in shape" your HR zones shouldn't change very much over time.  Generally you loose about 1 bpm per year.  The purpose of zones is two fold -- first it allows you to train the correct energy system and address your limiters and second it ensures that you are able to recover (if you go all out all the time youre never going to be able to recover and gain any fitness). 

There are lots of ways to test for HR zones (by using field tests, using race data and just using general training data) and there is always a certan margin of error (even in a blood lactate test). 

2013-04-23 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4711238

User image

Extreme Veteran
everlong - 2013-04-23 9:27 AM

Major empathy. Between Blake (baby) and Avery (toddler) we've had three bad nights in a row and it's taking it's toll. I hope you get your nap.

Half hour recovery ride on the trainer, 2800 in the pool and a 2 mile recovery run.

I'm psyched with my swim. I broke my 400 yard record at 5:50 by a full ten seconds and the best part was I wasn't trying to. I knew my pace was brisk but I was really just focused in on my form and didn't try to fly until the last 50 when I thought in the back of my head hey this has been a really good interval. I hit the wall and did a double take not expecting that at all. I could have kept going and didn't have that hypoxic gasping feeling after a speed interval that you can get. 5:50 in the swimming world is nothing great but for me it's a major barrier to get below 6-flat.

Major empathy from me, too.  We were on concussion patrol with Fred last night so we had to wake him every 2 hours.  Kevin and I took turns with that.  Gordon came into our room 3 times (Yes, I said 3) as well.  Sleep deprivation because of night wakings can be the most painful thing EVER.  The entire next day your eyes burn and your head throbs.  Early bedtime for me tonight.    

**edited to add:  Yay for progress in the pool, Scott!  Keep it up.  

Edited by jarvy01 2013-04-23 11:34 AM
2013-04-23 11:46 AM

User image

Veteran
I think I would seriously consider selling (at this point) a less used appendage to do a 5 something 400.
2013-04-23 12:13 PM
in reply to: #4711618

User image

Expert
jarvy01 - 2013-04-23 12:33 PM

Major empathy from me, too.  We were on concussion patrol with Fred last night so we had to wake him every 2 hours.  Kevin and I took turns with that.  Gordon came into our room 3 times (Yes, I said 3) as well.  Sleep deprivation because of night wakings can be the most painful thing EVER.  The entire next day your eyes burn and your head throbs.  Early bedtime for me tonight.    

Sorry to hear about the concussion. I hope he's doing better.

2013-04-23 12:17 PM
in reply to: #4711647

User image

Expert

ccmpsyd - 2013-04-23 12:46 PM I think I would seriously consider selling (at this point) a less used appendage to do a 5 something 400.

LOL, I'm not in the appendage market.

I think for me it's been a combination of all the core work, fist drills and fin drills. If you can figure out your weakness and work it to death the form will come and the speed with it.

2013-04-23 12:19 PM
in reply to: #4711618

User image

Extreme Veteran
jarvy01 - 2013-04-23 12:33 PM

What happen to Fred that he was on concussion watch?

There must have been something in the universe last night - our 4 year old was up from 2-3am last night. She never wakes up.

Good job Scott - I will never get to under 6 for 400y.

2013-04-23 1:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Wow, it sounds like most of the parents in this group are sleep deprived.  LOL  

Gordon was chasing Fred around the house, and Fred's head hit the wall.  When I went to comfort him, he passed out.  He couldn't stand up and wanted to go to sleep.  Spent a few hours in the ER but all is good now.  He has to see the pediatrician tomorrow morning to get cleared for any sort of activity.  This wasn't the first time I spent the day in the ER (and won't be the last time, because I have 3 wild boys).      

2013-04-23 4:53 PM
in reply to: #4711894

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
jarvy01 - 2013-04-23 2:16 PM

Gordon was chasing Fred around the house, and Fred's head hit the wall.  When I went to comfort him, he passed out.  He couldn't stand up and wanted to go to sleep.  Spent a few hours in the ER but all is good now.  He has to see the pediatrician tomorrow morning to get cleared for any sort of activity.  This wasn't the first time I spent the day in the ER (and won't be the last time, because I have 3 wild boys).      

He's in good company.  My brother got hit with a line drive today (there was a whole in the net when playing soft toss).  This is now his second concussion in 4 months. 

2013-04-23 6:36 PM
in reply to: #4712376

User image

kaburns1214 - 2013-04-23 4:53 PM

He's in good company.  My brother got hit with a line drive today (there was a whole in the net when playing soft toss).  This is now his second concussion in 4 months. 

Oh jeez sorry you guys.  It is scary when that happens.  glad they are ok!

2013-04-23 9:25 PM
in reply to: #4712497

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I got bit by a dog on my bike ride Sunday. Luckily it was my neighbors digg and it had it's rabies shoot.

(2013-04-21 19.29.33-1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
2013-04-21 19.29.33-1.jpg (9KB - 1 downloads)
2013-04-24 6:43 AM
in reply to: #4712690

User image

Extreme Veteran

luv2bhealthy - 2013-04-23 10:25 PM I got bit by a dog on my bike ride Sunday. Luckily it was my neighbors digg and it had it's rabies shoot.

Ouch!!!!  I'm glad it had its shots and you were able to shake it off.  I'm sorry you had to deal with that.  You can report the dog if you want, but it would probably be the end of your relationship with your neighbor.    

Dogs scare me to death when I'm out running and riding.  You never know when they might attack.  Yes, I blame the owners and not the dogs.  Why are there unsupervised dogs running around?  I don't get it.  A couple weeks ago a runner was mauled and almost died on the running path in my hometown.  I won't be running on that path again.    

2013-04-24 8:35 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Ouch! Never been bit by a dog.  I've seen it happen, both a rottie and a pit.  Scary stuff.

Tempo intervals for me today.  My hunger is off the charts today.  I need to schedule a massage too.

2013-04-24 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran

Jen - glad to hear that your son is doing better.

Norma - x2 on the ouch. I have read a bunch of posts from people who bring anti-dog devices with them on rides and runs, such as air horns, mace etc. Not sure if anyone has thought of using those - or if anyone uses such devices.

Concussions are not to be trifled with. It is always prudent to monitor for soft signs of postconcussion syndrome and to perhaps have the person to be evaluated by a neuropsychologist for a screen and/or if symptoms persist.

2013-04-24 9:04 AM
in reply to: #4713079

User image

Pro
CyFair
ccmpsyd - 2013-04-24 8:55 AM

Jen - glad to hear that your son is doing better.

Norma - x2 on the ouch. I have read a bunch of posts from people who bring anti-dog devices with them on rides and runs, such as air horns, mace etc. Not sure if anyone has thought of using those - or if anyone uses such devices.

Concussions are not to be trifled with. It is always prudent to monitor for soft signs of postconcussion syndrome and to perhaps have the person to be evaluated by a neuropsychologist for a screen and/or if symptoms persist.

In Texas we take guns with us. 

2013-04-24 9:06 AM
in reply to: #4712497

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
kr140.6 - 2013-04-23 7:36 PM

My poor brother bit down so hard when he was hit that he chipped his teeth and now needs to have them capped.  They're hoping the chip isn't so big that he'll need root canals as well.

2013-04-24 9:07 AM
in reply to: #4712879

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
jarvy01 - 2013-04-24 7:43 AM

luv2bhealthy - 2013-04-23 10:25 PM I got bit by a dog on my bike ride Sunday. Luckily it was my neighbors digg and it had it's rabies shoot.

Ouch!!!!  I'm glad it had its shots and you were able to shake it off.  I'm sorry you had to deal with that.  You can report the dog if you want, but it would probably be the end of your relationship with your neighbor.    

Dogs scare me to death when I'm out running and riding.  You never know when they might attack.  Yes, I blame the owners and not the dogs.  Why are there unsupervised dogs running around?  I don't get it.  A couple weeks ago a runner was mauled and almost died on the running path in my hometown.  I won't be running on that path again.    

Serious ouch.

Usually a good squirt to the face by a water bottle works.  I just don't understand people who let their dogs run loose. 

2013-04-24 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4712690

User image

Extreme Veteran
luv2bhealthy - 2013-04-23 10:25 PMI got bit by a dog on my bike ride Sunday. Luckily it was my neighbors digg and it had it's rabies shoot.
That's really scary. I hope it's not too serious. On my long run last week I has a big intact pit bull start running after me. I stopped and confronted him/yelled/stomped and he stopped and turned. I was ready to throw rocks at him. I was thinking about the storyline: Vet mauled on run.
2013-04-24 9:12 AM
in reply to: #4713098

User image

Extreme Veteran
kaburns1214 - 2013-04-24 10:06 AM
kr140.6 - 2013-04-23 7:36 PM

My poor brother bit down so hard when he was hit that he chipped his teeth and now needs to have them capped.  They're hoping the chip isn't so big that he'll need root canals as well.

That sounds terrible. Your poor brother.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2013 (Year 3!) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 122