Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 117

2024-06-30 6:03 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Here in the future, it's now the first of July. So, my totals for June:

Swim: 0
Bike: x 1, 30min
Run: x 21, 20hr 11min, 154km.
S&M: x 23 sessions. 2hr 32min total

Back into Ironman mode now, so Swim and Bike numbers will be greatly improved next month.
And Nat, I am officially restarting my bodyweight workout streak on July 1. Aiming for the whole month.

2024-07-01 6:04 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Monthly totals, including 2 races (sprint or shorter)

S 2h22 5279m
B 7h33 176km
R 7h25 66km
S&M: about 90-100 minutes @5 to 10 minutes per day for 18 days.

Not exactly a busy month.

Hope you chose the 2nd option Andrew and took another day off.

Played golf in the pouring rain yesterday, husband gave up after 6 holes and I pushed through on my own for another 3 (I am not a quitter and we had decided to play only 9 when we saw the weather). I suck anyway, rain or not (although I do benefit from a dry course, my ball rolls much further, I need that). I stayed dry though, as I wear good rain gear.

Strength streak ended after 5 days this time. I am wity you Andrew, let’s make the next one last the whole month.

Have a nice week everyone
2024-07-01 6:56 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Nice job on June training everyone! And hello from beautiful South Dakota! We went Mt Rushmore last night. I hadn't been in 30 years , and the kids have never been. We drove through the badlands to get here, and it's remarkably beautiful down in there! This morning we are headed down to Estes Park Colorado for the remainder of our trip, staying through Friday.

No training today, unless 5.5 hours in the minivan somehow counts for something. My Achilles is feeling better today, thankfully.
No running until at least Tuesday, but we shall see. I want to give it as much rest as possible. Planning on some extra swimming this week, as we will be very near a lap pool where we are staying.

2024-07-01 11:47 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hey, all.  Picking up the pieces of our embarrassment of a "presidential" debate here in the U.S. last night.    Got any room for us in New Zealand or Sweden??

Not going to get too into politics, but on behalf of the rest of the world we find it staggering that in a country of 350 million people those 2 are your only options to choose from.

Trust me...those of us who are thinking individuals find it staggering as well.
2024-07-01 12:03 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
A little swim this morning (1950yds) followed by some weight training (1:20). I did my normal set backwards, starting with core and working to the big squats and upper body lifts. I usually see a dip in how many reps I can do the later in the workout I get, which held out today too.

June Totals--apparently I just finished a run focused month (I didn't know!)
Swim: 34386.82 Yd; 14:18:29 (-15.4% distance; -18.6% time)
Bike: 460.79 Mi; 31:24:53 (-4.0% distance; -0.09% time)
Run: 81.42 Mi; 18:34:58 (+26.7% distance; + 22.5% time)
Strength: 2:33 (-66.7% time)
Device Upload: 23m Transitions--that 0.55mi T1 at GR Tri killed me!

Total: 67:14:20
2024-07-02 3:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Solid month Gretchen (what’s new?)

Started the new month with a 15 minutes S&M session and a 60 minutes run: 5 painfully slow km, 1 fast one and 3 even slower ones.

Swim on the menu today.

Race report is up https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-07-02 5:29 AM

2024-07-02 8:56 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Greetings from Baltimore!

Whewwwwww what an adventure that was! Last message was from day 3 of being in country, so I had another full week. The course went great. It was very well received and people are definitely looking forward to more. We had lots of requests, for both "back to the basics" as well as more advanced and specialized courses. One big request was Antimicrobial Stewardship. It's kind of crazy, in India you can buy antibiotics OTC and it's actually a huge cause of antimicrobial resistance, which honestly is a pandemic that isn't talked about. Hoping we can try to enact some change in India in this realm.

We had 3 in-country flights while I was there, so Sunday afternoon we flew to Pune, Monday afternoon/evening we flew to Chennai, and then Wednesday afternoon we flew back to Delhi. That's a lot of time in planes. We visited a few hospitals in Pune, one which was private and treated us like royalty. It was quite odd, and none of us were prepared for it.
In Chennai we were there for a dedication to opening a new hospital for which one of our faculty is on the board and his mother is the founder. She was an amazing woman and it was really great being there to hear all the wonderful stories that were shared about her. I can't remember if I told you guys about her, but she diagnosed the first case of HIV in India, and eventually went on to become a matchmaker for people with HIV (marriage is really important in India as I'm sure you all know, so she helped them find love/companionship with people that they would not risk infecting). There's a documentary about it called Lovesick. Check it out if you have time!

I made it to the gym 6 times, doing combinations of PT exercises, walking, core and yoga. Not as much as I had hoped, but we didn't have a ton of free time and I was plagued by jet-lag for most of the trip.

Overall it was a truly amazing experience and I'm so happy I went! I enjoyed a TON of Indian food. Was actually kind of sick of it by the end...I hate to say it, because I absolutely love Indian food, and it is definitely phenomenal there, but it can be rather heavy and I was ready for a salad!
I somehow managed to not really gain weight! I'm hovering right around where I was when I left, and I'm back on track already, as I went grocery shopping yesterday afternoon. I got home Saturday morning and was going to try to get my life together over the weekend, but after I went to the pool for an hour Saturday, I came home to find my cat had defecated on the steps leading to her litter box. This is not something she ever does unless the litter box is broken, so I noted her displeasure with my leaving her again so soon and spent the rest of the weekend snuggling her <3
2024-07-02 9:01 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Welcome back Nicole, glad you had good trip, enjoyed the food, found some time for the gym and did not put on weight.

Cats, LOL, they know how to let you know when you misbehave!

2024-07-02 9:09 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Sounds like everyone has been pretty solid! I did a brief catch up, didn't have time for too much more, but happy to see all the progress!

Robert, I hope your achilles is nothing serious! Enjoy your travels!

Nat, FY23 Nat was pretty on the ball, but FY24 Nat is just ramping up. You've got her on the next one!

Gretchen, the Disney Princess. I love this mental image!
My 2 cents, I love all Disney movies, but have also never been forced to watch them over and over again

Andrew, 4 minute improvement is great! And 20 minutes from this same race is amazing! Nutrition is always tough on those longer races. I stick to shorter stuff mostly, but the Olys I've done, that has been my biggest challenge.

Mike, solid training in the rough heat!
I didn't have the energy to watch the debate...I heard it was pretty horrible though. I'm definitely down to emigrate.

I forgot to add in my last message, I played volleyball last night! First time since my hammie injury. Overall felt pretty good, and still feels good today! Woohooo!
2024-07-02 9:41 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Legit question here: is it possible for altitude to also affect your ability to swim well?!
We are currently at 8000 ft, (home is 750 ft) in altitude. My swim was rough this morning!! Still got the 1000 yards, but I felt like I was sucking wind more than I had been
2024-07-02 9:48 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

Greetings from Baltimore!

Whewwwwww what an adventure that was! Last message was from day 3 of being in country, so I had another full week. The course went great. It was very well received and people are definitely looking forward to more. We had lots of requests, for both "back to the basics" as well as more advanced and specialized courses. One big request was Antimicrobial Stewardship. It's kind of crazy, in India you can buy antibiotics OTC and it's actually a huge cause of antimicrobial resistance, which honestly is a pandemic that isn't talked about. Hoping we can try to enact some change in India in this realm.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Pikers!! In Egypt, you can buy antibiotics OTC by the pill. Yep...one pill at a time. Everyone takes them like they are candy--at the first sign of any type of illness they will start taking an antibiotic and then stop immediately after they feel better. I once heard one of our workers asking for antibiotics for the pain in his toe (he had kicked a stake).

There is also the problem of the foreigners who come and take prophylactic antibiotics while in country to avoid traveler's sickness.

2024-07-02 9:54 AM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by robertChiefsFan

Legit question here: is it possible for altitude to also affect your ability to swim well?!
We are currently at 8000 ft, (home is 750 ft) in altitude. My swim was rough this morning!! Still got the 1000 yards, but I felt like I was sucking wind more than I had been

Absolutely! Anything at altitude is going to be tougher until you adapt (6-8 weeks) because the air contains less** oxygen there.

**in an absolute sense, not a percentage of volume sense.
2024-07-02 9:56 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1500m swim this morning for me. In a bit, I'll be heading out on a 64' tempo run and then later this afternoon/evening I will have a 90' Z2 ride that I might do outside. We shall see. The weather is nice, but it depends when I can get to it, because if it gets too late in the afternoon I'll be in the "rush hour" traffic, which around here is not heavy, but is full of people doing dumb things.
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 117

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 967 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland