Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 121

2024-07-05 1:39 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan

10 hour drive home today.

That's a good Midwestern boy!!!

LOL!! I-70 out of Denver through Kansas, back to home just east of KC, MO. Boring.

2024-07-05 1:59 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I know we're like a week into July, which has started well here in on vacation with a couple of good hilly runs and lots of core work.  And golf twice, which is always interesting.  There are a couple of resort pools here so I've been getting in a little bit of work in the water, too, and just a Lifecycle bike so limited there. 

June totals - really good month all-around, though I'd love the swim to be about 50% higher.

Swim: 4h 09m 04s - 10515.38 Yd
Bike: 13h 09m 13s - 238.15 Mi
Run: 9h 37m 23s - 54.37 Mi  <<  I think this is my highest run month in almost ten years
Strength: 8h 24m
Incline Treadmill Walking: 20m
Transitions: 03m

It's boiling hot here, like 110 heat index yesterday, today, and tomorrow so we've gotten in our work (and golf) early.

Solid month Mike! Enjoy the golf!

Playing myself on Sunday so squeezed in my slow run today before my swim (last day of my vacation, part one, I had time for a double).

The slowest 12k in history but it is done.

Have a nice weekend!
2024-07-06 8:52 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl

I know we're like a week into July, which has started well here in on vacation with a couple of good hilly runs and lots of core work.  And golf twice, which is always interesting.  There are a couple of resort pools here so I've been getting in a little bit of work in the water, too, and just a Lifecycle bike so limited there. 

June totals - really good month all-around, though I'd love the swim to be about 50% higher.

Swim: 4h 09m 04s - 10515.38 Yd
Bike: 13h 09m 13s - 238.15 Mi
Run: 9h 37m 23s - 54.37 Mi  <<  I think this is my highest run month in almost ten years
Strength: 8h 24m
Incline Treadmill Walking: 20m
Transitions: 03m

It's boiling hot here, like 110 heat index yesterday, today, and tomorrow so we've gotten in our work (and golf) early.

Solid month Mike! Enjoy the golf! Playing myself on Sunday so squeezed in my slow run today before my swim (last day of my vacation, part one, I had time for a double). The slowest 12k in history but it is done. Have a nice weekend!

Ouch - a little sore today.  I still swing pretty hard.  LOL  Wife, daughter and I played a mini-scramble over 9 holes and shot a 45.  My daughter had never played on a real course so we'll take it. 

Another 4.5 miles in the soupy weather at 7 AM...already 85 degrees.  Feels like Cancun here without the ocean breeze.  We had to bail on sitting by the pool yesterday - too hot. 

Have fun out on the links tomorrow!

2024-07-06 11:01 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Back from vacation. Easy 4 mile run this morning, testing out the Achilles. A little tight right now, but I also mowed the lawn after my run. Glad to be home.
2024-07-06 3:13 PM
in reply to: #5289195

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
An absolute dumpster fire of a long ride today (5:45), followed by a pretty decent hour run as a brick. I changed my mind about driving up to the trail to ride and I regretted it. The roads were terrible. I get like I was getting beaten up because of the potholes and such. Thank goodness for tubeless setups. I would have flatted at least twice. I ended up coming home at the 4:10 mark and just finishing it on the trainer.
2024-07-07 4:56 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
SBR week in the books, golf this afternoon.
S 1h22 2696m
B 2h57 9k and a number of zwift miles
R 3h51 32k
S 1h07 around 7-15 minutes every day. Happy with that

2024-07-07 6:57 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
My slightly longer than planned 'mid year off season' is officially over. Today, I'm officially back into long course mode. First up is the Marathon in November, followed by the No. 1 goal, Ironman NZ in March, only 34 training weeks to go. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into things.

Monday is a light/rest day in my plan, so starting with an easy treadmill run and bodyweight/stretchy session this evening.

Finally recovered from my head cold and got back into the swing of things on the weekend with a treadmill run Friday night, a 14km easy long run Saturday and a 5k easy run, followed by another 5k walk with Mrs Bullfrog on Sunday.

For the week:

Swim/Bike: 0
Run: x3, 2hr 45, 22km
Bodyweight Strength: x7, 42 minutes.
2024-07-07 7:08 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Mike. Nice work on your biggest run volume in a decade. Great to be back.

@Nat. Nice solid week. And excellent work on the bodyweight challenge. Onto week 2. 14/14 will be a personal best streak for me, lets make it happen

@Gretchen, Tough rides are part of the journey. You may have cut it short but over 4 hours is still a very good effort.

@Robert, after a weeks vacation/rest the achilles being tight isn't great news. Are you planning to try and get a physio to look at it?
2024-07-07 9:02 PM
in reply to: #5289196

User image

@Andrew - it's feeling much better today. I did some foam rolling and stretching last night, and there is no sign of the tightness today. While we might have been on vacation, I still managed to walk over 20k steps every day, so I'm not sure how much "rest" I actually got.
More foam rolling tonight, cycling and weights tomorrow. We'll see how this week goes and how it holds up.
2024-07-08 4:30 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

@Nat. Nice solid week. And excellent work on the bodyweight challenge. Onto week 2. 14/14 will be a personal best streak for me, lets make it happen

same here!
2024-07-08 4:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan

My slightly longer than planned 'mid year off season' is officially over. Today, I'm officially back into long course mode. First up is the Marathon in November, followed by the No. 1 goal, Ironman NZ in March, only 34 training weeks to go. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into things.

Monday is a light/rest day in my plan, so starting with an easy treadmill run and bodyweight/stretchy session this evening.

Finally recovered from my head cold and got back into the swing of things on the weekend with a treadmill run Friday night, a 14km easy long run Saturday and a 5k easy run, followed by another 5k walk with Mrs Bullfrog on Sunday.

For the week:

Swim/Bike: 0
Run: x3, 2hr 45, 22km
Bodyweight Strength: x7, 42 minutes.

Glad your cold is over. Nice weekend! Onwards and upwards

Talking of marathon, I am thinking of signing up for one in October and DNF it. As you may remember, I had a terrible half marathon back in May and I need to get my revenge against that distance. Can't wait until next year so I was looking to see if there were any half near me later in the year. Found one not too far from here but also a full marathon much nearer so I am thinking about entering it and run half. Or I find one or 2 others to run the other half (as you can enter as a team of 4, I could run 2 legs)

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-07-08 6:25 AM

2024-07-08 6:25 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, all.  Back from vacation with a couple of hard workout days, a short taper, then a sprint this weekend.

@Gretchen:  that ride sounds awful - I don't even know where I would start to consider riding 5+ hours around here...it would likely be a LOT of loops on the safe areas near one of a couple state parks around here

@Andrew:  welcome back to the land of the training - glad your cold didn't become something worse; my manager just got over pneumonia (actually is still recovering); 34 weeks of training - that's even high for me

@Robert:  hope your Achilles continues to improve - I'd definitely err on the side of caution as you have been; I've had tendonosis in the past and it took months to fully resolve (though I was able to train after a few weeks)

@Nathalie:  loving the HM goal - I'd probably drive a little farther rather than half a race so I'd have a "real" time, but I don't think you mentioned how far the difference was

@Nicole:  you all settled back in the States? 

Have a great week everyone - time to catch up on the work that didn't get done while I was gone last week. 

2024-07-08 7:38 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
>@Nathalie:  loving the HM goal - I'd probably drive a little farther rather than half a race so I'd have a "real" time, but I don't think you mentioned how far the difference was

the half is more than 3 hours drive away, the marathon 20 minutes...
2024-07-08 8:16 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jmhpsu93 >@Nathalie:  loving the HM goal - I'd probably drive a little farther rather than half a race so I'd have a "real" time, but I don't think you mentioned how far the difference was

Ahhhh...that makes sense then. 

2024-07-08 10:15 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by jmhpsu93 >@Nathalie:  loving the HM goal - I'd probably drive a little farther rather than half a race so I'd have a "real" time, but I don't think you mentioned how far the difference was

Makes sense to me too!! I have a "rule" that I won't drive further than the race will take me to do, although now that I'm getting marginally faster, that rule is getting put to the test some...and lets not talk about flying to Australia for a race. That doesn't count, because it is flying, not driving. Yeah...that's it.
2024-07-08 10:21 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
After a very restful Saturday afternoon and Sunday (seriously, I think slugs moved more than I did), I was back at the gym this morning for 2150yds in the pool, followed by a strength training session. Later this afternoon I'll do a 75' tempo interval ride.

I got a new triathlon toy this weekend!! Form goggles...which put your pace in the eye piece so you can see how fast you are going in the poo (and a bunch of other things, but this is what I figured out how to do today)l. But...the real reason I bought them is because they include an onboard compass and it *may* help with my terrible sighting in OWS. I know I tend to pull to the right, but I am frequently off near the kayakers, so it can get quite bad. I can't help it--my left arm goes numb after 1000-1500yds, so it is hard to have an even stroke! I haven't tried it at the lake yet, but this morning in the pool was fun. It has a head position metric where you have to try to keep the dot between two lines--gamified swimming completely. Will post more as I figure out how to use them!

We are having a weather week too. Thursday we had a tornado touch down right near the house--only minor limb damage at our place, thankfully. Tomorrow and Wednesday we will be getting the remainder of Beryl, including 2-4 inches of rain tomorrow. That pretty much means any outside training is put on hold until Thursday--and only if nothing that needs repaired right away gets damaged. Ahhhh...summer in the Midwest is always a barrel of fun!

2024-07-08 12:29 PM

User image

After a very restful Saturday afternoon and Sunday (seriously, I think slugs moved more than I did), I was back at the gym this morning for 2150yds in the pool, followed by a strength training session. Later this afternoon I'll do a 75' tempo interval ride.

I got a new triathlon toy this weekend!! Form goggles...which put your pace in the eye piece so you can see how fast you are going in the poo (and a bunch of other things, but this is what I figured out how to do today)l. But...the real reason I bought them is because they include an onboard compass and it *may* help with my terrible sighting in OWS. I know I tend to pull to the right, but I am frequently off near the kayakers, so it can get quite bad. I can't help it--my left arm goes numb after 1000-1500yds, so it is hard to have an even stroke! I haven't tried it at the lake yet, but this morning in the pool was fun. It has a head position metric where you have to try to keep the dot between two lines--gamified swimming completely. Will post more as I figure out how to use them!

We are having a weather week too. Thursday we had a tornado touch down right near the house--only minor limb damage at our place, thankfully. Tomorrow and Wednesday we will be getting the remainder of Beryl, including 2-4 inches of rain tomorrow. That pretty much means any outside training is put on hold until Thursday--and only if nothing that needs repaired right away gets damaged. Ahhhh...summer in the Midwest is always a barrel of fun!

Good luck with the lovely midwest weather. Great that we get hurricane weather effects, isn't it?!

Also, keep us posted on the new goggles. I've been curious about them, to see if they're legit or annoying. And how long they hold up in the water.
2024-07-08 1:17 PM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

Cycling and lifting today.

12 mile out and back bike on the packed gravel trails. Lots of wash-outs due to the large amounts of rain last week. Got into my big ring (3) on the way back for a bit here and there.

Lifting during lunch today. Felt great to get back in the gym. I love deadlifts, btw!! 3x8 at 105 lbs today!
2024-07-08 3:04 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Makes sense to me too!! I have a "rule" that I won't drive further than the race will take me to do, although now that I'm getting marginally faster, that rule is getting put to the test some...and lets not talk about flying to Australia for a race. That doesn't count, because it is flying, not driving. Yeah...that's it.

That’s a good rule, and one I am already following without knowing it. Usually drive no more than 90 minutes and all my races take less than that.

Australia doesn’t count, it’s not just “a race “, it’s the effing WORLDS!
2024-07-08 3:06 PM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by robertChiefsFan

Lifting during lunch today. Felt great to get back in the gym. I love deadlifts, btw!! 3x8 at 105 lbs today!

Oh yeah! Sounds like a lot of fun! (not)
2024-07-08 3:09 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Ooh! New toy alert! Never knew these existed! I,like the compass. Let us know how that works in the lake. (I love your typo on the word pool )

Had some storms and torrential rain on and off all day so tonight’s triathlon training was cancelled. Went home and did the bike on the trainer and the run outside (beautiful weather by then).

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-07-08 3:26 PM

2024-07-08 3:27 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen, definitely let us know how you like the goggles! That sounds awesome!

I am settled back in, Mike, thanks for asking! I did not have a very active week, but I think that was good for my hip. I got in a solid 2500 yds at a really fun practice Saturday, which included this relay where we have 2 lanes going, and try to match everyone up, but the goal is to finish at or close to the same time, so people are constantly switching back and forth to try to balance the lanes. We also got to go down the slides at the end, which I always love

This is my week! I'm playing volleyball tonight, but might go for a swim in the park pool before. Might try to do that every day honestly. And I'm starting my strength challenge tomorrow! Aiming to get 15 of the next 22 days minimum (rest of the month). Then would love to do the whole month of August and aim for every day if you guys are still doing it!

I'm also thinking about trying running. Going to see how my hip feels after volleyball today, and if good, I'm going to give running a try tomorrow or Wednesday morning. Just short stuff, 2 min run, 1 min walk, 3-5 times I think to start (after a really good warmup).
2024-07-08 9:13 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Well I just flew to another city to run a half Marathon so....

FWIW, I wouldn't enter a full with the intention of only running half, in my mind half a marathon is different to a half marathon. So either if you can rope someone into sharing the Marathon relay with you that could work, but I'd probably do the drive and run the real half.

Take the hubby, book yourself into a nice hotel and make a weekend out of it
2024-07-09 4:13 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Well I just flew to another city to run a half Marathon so....

FWIW, I wouldn't enter a full with the intention of only running half, in my mind half a marathon is different to a half marathon. So either if you can rope someone into sharing the Marathon relay with you that could work, but I'd probably do the drive and run the real half.

Take the hubby, book yourself into a nice hotel and make a weekend out of it

I'll probably find others to do the relay with me, it's much better than DNF. I won't drive 3 hours for a just over 2 hours (hopefully) race, I don't make the rules.

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-07-09 4:14 AM
2024-07-09 4:19 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
NAT!! I’ve solved you delimma!!

Just run the whole marathon! :D
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 121

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 987 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland