Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 121

2024-07-09 5:53 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by drfoodlove

NAT!! I’ve solved you delimma!!

Just run the whole marathon! :D

short answer : no

Long answer: although I won't say I'll never run a marathon, I can safely say it's not going to happen in the foreseable future.
Also, I need to prove to myself that I can run a half this year after the debacle earlier this year.

2024-07-09 7:41 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by Rollergirl

NAT!! I’ve solved you delimma!!

short answer : no

Long answer: although I won't say I'll never run a marathon, I can safely say it's not going to happen in the foreseable future.
Also, I need to prove to myself that I can run a half this year after the debacle earlier this year.

Well...if you are going to be all sensible...!
2024-07-09 7:46 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Early morning here trying to beat the hurricane. Up at 4 to be running by 4:30. I managed to just squeak my run in before it started raining. Finished up run at 5:34 went inside and grabbed my swim stuff and made a bottle of gatorade. By the time I got back outside at 5:37, it was raining pretty hard. TheI run was fine--one of those absolute sweatfests the Midwest is so proud of though; humidity was 97% when I left the house. Swim was 1500m of meh...nothing special, not fast, nor slow. Just meh.

Later today I have a 90' foundation ride on the schedule. Garmin is already telling me I may need more rest today and it is only Tuesday!! It is not wrong--week three of the build and I'm tired. Looking forward to rest week next week, and if I remember the training notes from a couple weeks ago correctly, this is the biggest training volume week of the entire plan, so I just have to hold on until Saturday morning.
2024-07-09 9:20 AM

User image

Easy 4-mile run this morning. Getting towards the end of the base building phase of my half marathon training plan.
Lunch break swim coming up.

Good luck Gretchen with the weather. That hurricane is dumping a TON of water.
2024-07-09 10:52 AM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Nathalie:  like you, I have zero interest in a marathon, and never have even before I was a broken-down old man; I'd still drive the three hours so I'd get an official time if I went through the effort of running 13+ miles

@Robert:  great you were able to run - Achillies still good? 

@Gretchen:  4 AM...oof though I know that's kinda normal for you and it seems worth it to get the run done before the downpour; my workouts this morning were also kinda meh - just didn't have any snap in anything (run or swim, though my strength session went OK but it was kinda toned down anyway with a race this weekend)

@Nicole:  sounds like a plan - be super careful with the running even if it feels good - great swim

@Gretchen again:  give us some feedback on that new toy of yours, I also swim in circle in open water

2024-07-09 10:53 AM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I think traveling far to a race only makes sense if you're also going to explore that area. I flew to ATL for example to visit a friend and did a triathlon while there. That definitely makes it worth it.

Nat, hope you find someone to join you!

I played a lot of vball last night. It was pretty gross out, and I'm feeling fat and slow, but overall it was good. I tweaked my groin a little bit at the end, but it feels fine this morning, so don't think it was anything major, so I think that's a good sign!
It's gonna be pretty gross for at least the next week, so I might need to find a treadmill to start getting my runs in. I walked outside early today and it was already hot and the air was THICK.

2024-07-09 11:25 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e I think traveling far to a race only makes sense if you're also going to explore that area. I flew to ATL for example to visit a friend and did a triathlon while there. That definitely makes it worth it. Nat, hope you find someone to join you! I played a lot of vball last night. It was pretty gross out, and I'm feeling fat and slow, but overall it was good. I tweaked my groin a little bit at the end, but it feels fine this morning, so don't think it was anything major, so I think that's a good sign! It's gonna be pretty gross for at least the next week, so I might need to find a treadmill to start getting my runs in. I walked outside early today and it was already hot and the air was THICK.

I was driving to the gym this morning at 5:30 and it was 81 degrees out already...I can't imagine what it's like down in the city.

2024-07-09 12:39 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14e I think traveling far to a race only makes sense if you're also going to explore that area. I flew to ATL for example to visit a friend and did a triathlon while there. That definitely makes it worth it. Nat, hope you find someone to join you! I played a lot of vball last night. It was pretty gross out, and I'm feeling fat and slow, but overall it was good. I tweaked my groin a little bit at the end, but it feels fine this morning, so don't think it was anything major, so I think that's a good sign! It's gonna be pretty gross for at least the next week, so I might need to find a treadmill to start getting my runs in. I walked outside early today and it was already hot and the air was THICK.

I was driving to the gym this morning at 5:30 and it was 81 degrees out already...I can't imagine what it's like down in the city.

Summing it up in one word...Swampy
2024-07-09 2:00 PM
in reply to: #5289222

User image

@mike the Achilles is doing well this week. Lots of stretching and foam rolling!!
2024-07-09 4:24 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

#WhatWouldGretchenDo
2024-07-09 4:29 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by nicole14e

Summing it up in one word...Swampy

If it makes anyone feel better, it's getting pretty cold for morning runs here. About 40 freedom eagles (5C for the civilized world) this morning.

2024-07-09 4:41 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Gretchen, Awesome work getting up at 4am to get the work in. That definitely sounds like a peak Ironman week sort of schedule. Terrible planning to be doing your biggest week when there is a hurricane hitting you though. I'm sure you'll get it in somehow, you always find a way.

@Nicole, Awesome that you got a night of volleyball in with no ill effects. When you think it was only a couple of months ago you were expecting surgery thats a great turn around. Running in humidity is the worst. Hope you can find a treadmill.

@Mike, 81F at 5:30am sounds disgusting. Than god for air conditioning

@Nat, How's the strength training streak going? Are you still batting 100? I'm 9 for 9 so far. Almost 1/3 the way through.

Me, 3 runs so far this week. Very easy Z1/2 treadmill Monday evening, 40ish minute fast finish treadmill Tuesday evening and 40ish minute Z2 foundation outside with the hound this morning. Plan to be on the bike for a spin this evening. Not too worried about any specific bike workouts yet, just need to spend a couple of weeks getting back into the multi sport/double workout days habit.
2024-07-09 7:08 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog  If it makes anyone feel better, it's getting pretty cold for morning runs here. About 40 freedom eagles (5C for the civilized world) this morning.

I would love a couple of runs in that weather right now. 

It's supposed to be (according to the local news) "That's it - I'm moving" level of humidity here for Saturday's race, and it's supposed to rain all day the day before so the whole place will be a swamp.  I HATE wet feet. 

2024-07-10 12:05 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
9/9 on the July strength streak although yesterday’s 5 minutes were done 30 seconds here and seconds there throughout the day but I did the usual set in the end

Not sure it really counts as strenght training but it keeps the streak alive. Will do better today
2024-07-10 8:30 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by bulfrog  If it makes anyone feel better, it's getting pretty cold for morning runs here. About 40 freedom eagles (5C for the civilized world) this morning.

It's supposed to be (according to the local news) "That's it - I'm moving" level of humidity here for Saturday's race, and it's supposed to rain all day the day before so the whole place will be a swamp.  I HATE wet feet. 

I'm with ya Mike! Wet feet are awful on the run!! I'm okay with them on the swim though. ;P
2024-07-10 8:31 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

9/9 on the July strength streak although yesterday’s 5 minutes were done 30 seconds here and seconds there throughout the day but I did the usual set in the end

Not sure it really counts as strenght training but it keeps the streak alive. Will do better today

It absolutely counts!! Last year when I was in Egypt I did this all the time. One exercise (3 sets, 8-10 reps per set) every hour while I was working. It not only helped my strength, but it helped keep me from going stiff and sore while sitting all day and working at a desk (something I rarely do!).

2024-07-10 8:35 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
4250yds in the pool today and I'm TIRED. It was a long swim with lots of fast 25s-100s incorporated into longer intervals of 100-500.

Later I have a 2.5hr Z1 trainer ride scheduled. I must find some energy for that though, because right now I'm flagging. Tomorrow is lighter, with just a swim and strength training. Then big brick (7 hours total) on Friday and long run on Saturday. I can see the light at the end of the training block tunnel.
2024-07-10 10:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove 4250yds in the pool today and I'm TIRED. It was a long swim with lots of fast 25s-100s incorporated into longer intervals of 100-500. Later I have a 2.5hr Z1 trainer ride scheduled. I must find some energy for that though, because right now I'm flagging. Tomorrow is lighter, with just a swim and strength training. Then big brick (7 hours total) on Friday and long run on Saturday. I can see the light at the end of the training block tunnel.

I'm exhausted just thinking about what you're doing. 

Only 2K for me this morning with some light strength training - kinda sorta tapering but let it rip a little in the pool as I need the work.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2024-07-10 10:16 AM
2024-07-10 5:27 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

It absolutely counts!! Last year when I was in Egypt I did this all the time. One exercise (3 sets, 8-10 reps per set) every hour while I was working. It not only helped my strength, but it helped keep me from going stiff and sore while sitting all day and working at a desk (something I rarely do!).

It absolutely counts. And like Gretchen says, it's a really clever way to sneak some strength and mobility stuff into the day when we can't find time for a stand alone workout. Way to keep the streak going.
2024-07-10 5:30 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

To be fair, I would choose cold enough for a thermal top, over humid enough to want to move 100% of the time Hopefully the weather for Saturday isn't as bad as predicted for you.
2024-07-10 5:47 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

4250yds in the pool today and I'm TIRED. It was a long swim with lots of fast 25s-100s incorporated into longer intervals of 100-500.

Later I have a 2.5hr Z1 trainer ride scheduled. I must find some energy for that though, because right now I'm flagging. Tomorrow is lighter, with just a swim and strength training. Then big brick (7 hours total) on Friday and long run on Saturday. I can see the light at the end of the training block tunnel.

That is a massive swim. I don't think I've ever been over about 3,000m in a lap pool. Awesome work. Huge few days coming up for you, but that's the joys of long distance tri training. Try and enjoy it, remember you're paying to do this

2024-07-10 6:02 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well my last days training pales in comparison to Gretchen, but I'm officially back into triathlon mode.

Wednesday morning, 40 minute easy run. + stretch/foam roll
Wednesday evening, 30 minute easy trainer ride + 9 minute bodyweight routine
Thursday morning, Back in the pool for the first time since February. Only 500m (2 x 5x50m sets) But good to see I can still swim.
Plan for tonight is another trainer ride and bodyweight routine.

Keep up the good work team.
2024-07-10 6:58 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by drfoodlove 4250yds in the pool today and I'm TIRED. It was a long swim with lots of fast 25s-100s incorporated into longer intervals of 100-500. Later I have a 2.5hr Z1 trainer ride scheduled. I must find some energy for that though, because right now I'm flagging. Tomorrow is lighter, with just a swim and strength training. Then big brick (7 hours total) on Friday and long run on Saturday. I can see the light at the end of the training block tunnel.
That is a massive swim. I don't think I've ever been over about 3,000m in a lap pool. Awesome work. Huge few days coming up for you, but that's the joys of long distance tri training. Try and enjoy it, remember you're paying to do this

Yeah it is.  And solo is even harder.

I've only gone past that three times, which was with my wacko Masters open-water marathon swimmers who would do 100 x 100 SCM every spring - I once made it to half of it (and my daughter did 7500 at age 12, which was pretty impressive).  One guy did the final 10 x 100 fly on 1:45. 

I really need to get back to swimming with swimmers as I'm SO lazy in the pool by myself.

Great work, Gretchen.

2024-07-10 7:00 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Well my last days training pales in comparison to Gretchen, but I'm officially back into triathlon mode. Wednesday morning, 40 minute easy run. + stretch/foam roll Wednesday evening, 30 minute easy trainer ride + 9 minute bodyweight routine Thursday morning, Back in the pool for the first time since February. Only 500m (2 x 5x50m sets) But good to see I can still swim. Plan for tonight is another trainer ride and bodyweight routine. Keep up the good work team.

Hey, three sports sighting...welcome back to triathlon.  "Good to see I can still swim" is always a fun workout. 

2024-07-10 8:13 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Originally posted by bulfrog Well my last days training pales in comparison to Gretchen, but I'm officially back into triathlon mode. Wednesday morning, 40 minute easy run. + stretch/foam roll Wednesday evening, 30 minute easy trainer ride + 9 minute bodyweight routine Thursday morning, Back in the pool for the first time since February. Only 500m (2 x 5x50m sets) But good to see I can still swim. Plan for tonight is another trainer ride and bodyweight routine. Keep up the good work team.

Hey, three sports sighting...welcome back to triathlon.  "Good to see I can still swim" is always a fun workout. 

I know right. It's been a minute.

I enjoyed the big run focus for the first half of the year, and I think it was good for me. But is sure is fun to mix things up again.
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 121

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland