BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2009-01-06 2:03 PM
in reply to: #1856184

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED

Welcome Back Nate! I'm glad you had a good vacation. I love the city, but rarely go.

Kellie and Roni- Does the "Paleo Diet for athletes" talk about how pescetarians can make the diet work? I can't get the book through my library, and the local bookstores don't have it in stock, so I haven't been able to browse through it. I think I need to make some changes to my diet, because already I am having difficulty getting thru workouts that near an hour.

I finally got my computer hooked up to my bike today, so I'm looking forward to Jorge's tomorrow.

2009-01-06 4:36 PM
in reply to: #1889472

User image

Master
zee744 - 2009-01-06 11:46 AM

Check out this video on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVbwngNoHm0

If your spins don't look like that, you need to work harder!!! LOL Laughing

That is CRAZY. It looks like cartoon legs sped up. How fast do you think their cadence is?
2009-01-06 4:42 PM
in reply to: #1889960

User image

Master
slow turtle - 2009-01-06 2:03 PM

I finally got my computer hooked up to my bike today, so I'm looking forward to Jorge's tomorrow.

Awesome!! Will it track speed? Cadence? Both? Let us know how your workout is! I may try to hook up my Garmin cadence sensor this afternoon so I can use it for tomorrow's workout.

And you might ask your library to order the Paleo book, Heidi. Many libraries will order books if they have a few requests. I checked it out from mine last summer but never really read it (honestly).

I'm in a place, nutrition-wise, where I feel like I've figured out most things for me and am trying not to sweat it too much. I love fruits and veggies and tend to eat healthy naturally. However, I definitley have a sweet tooth and have late afternoon sugar cravings. I satisfy them with cookies. ;-) I know, I know, bad!! I have "heard" that sugar cravings can be a result of insufficient something-or-other (protein? calories? water?)... Sometimes I feel like I should break my cookie habit. Sometimes I feel that life's too short and I am healthy and fit and have a great BMI and I work hard enough to eat a cookie if I want one. But maybe that's just the addiction talking??!!

Anyone else crave sweets at certain times of the day? If so, do you give in or have you found a work-around?

ETA: My cookies are made with whole wheat flours, natural sugars, and no HFCS. Oftentimes they are homemade (and if so also contain wheat germ and flax seed!), but if store-bought they are from whole foods and not nearly as bad as some things you can be eating!!

Edited by kkcbelle 2009-01-06 4:44 PM
2009-01-06 7:10 PM
in reply to: #1889960

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Welcome Back Nate! I'm glad you had a good vacation. I love the city, but rarely go.

Kellie and Roni- Does the "Paleo Diet for athletes" talk about how pescetarians can make the diet work? I can't get the book through my library, and the local bookstores don't have it in stock, so I haven't been able to browse through it. I think I need to make some changes to my diet, because already I am having difficulty getting thru workouts that near an hour.

Ok, I think, and correct me if Im wrong...  a pescetarian basically eats veggies, fruit, nuts, and fish?   Is this correct?    

As for workouts nearing a hour, do you use anything to supplement during your workouts, or will you not put anything in your mouth off the pescetarian diet?   Sorry for the questions, just trying to gather the info before I answer your question! 

2009-01-06 9:13 PM
in reply to: #1890821

User image

Expert
kellc09 - 2009-01-06 8:10 PM

Ok, I think, and correct me if Im wrong...  a pescetarian basically eats veggies, fruit, nuts, and fish?   Is this correct?    

As for workouts nearing a hour, do you use anything to supplement during your workouts, or will you not put anything in your mouth off the pescetarian diet?   Sorry for the questions, just trying to gather the info before I answer your question! 

I am essentially vegetarian, but eat fish (mostly salmon or shrimp) once or twice a week. I do eat eggs and dairy.

I generally do not have great luck with eating while I'm exercising. Last summer, during long workouts I found Newman's Low-fat Fig newtons worked well. The Gels and sports drinks that I've tried, make me feel ill.

2009-01-06 9:50 PM

User image

Montana

Hi everybody. I'm back for real this time after a stint of being MIA. Started training again this week and realized how freaking hard it is!! 

I'm interested in the Paleo diet also and suitability for pescaterians. Sounds like it has a big fruit and veggie focus, which sounds like it might work, right Heidi?

On a different note, has anyone ever experienced elbow pain related to training (cycling)? I develped a noticeable elbow problem over the summer which still bothers me alot and am not sure if it's attibutable to cycling or using forearm forklifts to help my parents move a few months ago. I noticed that it was especially painful today while running.

2009-01-06 11:03 PM
in reply to: #1888803

User image

Master
OK, having a ball sitting down with a calculator and Jorge's workouts with my new LTHR number. I've learned the easies are much easier than I've been going. Yeah!!

Question for Greg or anyone else doing these workouts... after we have the LTHR number, do we use that to plug into the LTHR chart? Is the FTP chart just for power meter users? I'm assuming using the LTHR chart I use my LTHR as 100% and calculate from there, yes?

Interestingly using RPE I think I have been in just the right zones for the intense stuff, so that's good. And I can relax a bit more on WU/WD and recoveries.

I'm kinda anxious now to try a test for running now that I "get" how it's done and have a HRM that will do averages brainlessly. I think I run too slowly too often... or too easy too often!
2009-01-06 11:14 PM
in reply to: #1891269

User image

Elgin, Ok
kkcbelle - 2009-01-06 11:03 PM

OK, having a ball sitting down with a calculator and Jorge's workouts with my new LTHR number. I've learned the easies are much easier than I've been going. Yeah!!

Question for Greg or anyone else doing these workouts... after we have the LTHR number, do we use that to plug into the LTHR chart? Is the FTP chart just for power meter users? I'm assuming using the LTHR chart I use my LTHR as 100% and calculate from there, yes?

Interestingly using RPE I think I have been in just the right zones for the intense stuff, so that's good. And I can relax a bit more on WU/WD and recoveries.

I'm kinda anxious now to try a test for running now that I "get" how it's done and have a HRM that will do averages brainlessly. I think I run too slowly too often... or too easy too often!

Isn't technology cool. Gone are the days of stopping during a workout to check your pulse.

It sounds like you are doing great at pushing yourself. Most people are not really going as hard as they think they are going. Good for you.
2009-01-07 7:00 AM
in reply to: #1891099

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
slow turtle - 2009-01-06 9:13 PM
kellc09 - 2009-01-06 8:10 PM

I am essentially vegetarian, but eat fish (mostly salmon or shrimp) once or twice a week. I do eat eggs and dairy.

I generally do not have great luck with eating while I'm exercising. Last summer, during long workouts I found Newman's Low-fat Fig newtons worked well. The Gels and sports drinks that I've tried, make me feel ill.

Ok, thats what I thought.   Hmmm... I do think that it could fit your life.  I think that all the focus on lean meats and not as much on your beans and rice could pose a little problem if your not willing to eat fish all the time.  But, like Ive said before, sometimes you have to alter a little bit.    It sounds like you probably mostly eat like a paleo diet if you really stick to your pescetarianism (if thats a word, haha).   

Where your difference will be.....  If your starting to workout more than a hour, to hour and a half, your going to  need to start supplementing.   Fig newtons are ok, though I know when Im running fast workouts, eating something isnt happening.    I dislike most gels and sports drinks out there, but after trying different things,    I have two brands that I stick to pretty exclusively.  Hammer products and Infinit Nutrition products.   I use Hammer gels as my gels.  I'll also use their Heed and Sustained Energy for drink products.   Heed I have lemon lime (its not as tart as most lemon lime with most products), and Sustained Energy is no flavor (this I use for longer rides over 2 hours since it has protein in it)

Infinit you can create your own mix and you can put in the type of carb you want (fast acting of slower release for longer slower racing).  You can make the flavor as strong of as mild as you would like, and add in any protein or caffeine should you choose.   I used Infinit as my drink all through Ironman training and the Ironman.   And apple cinnamon gels from Hammer if I needed a gel.     

Hammer products are considered more diabetic friendly.  They have a slower releasing long chain type sugar.  So you dont necessarily get the quick spike.  I find it easier to tolerate and I have very low blood sugar and  as quickly as I'll spike, I'll just as quickly drop.   

So, I dont know if that helps at all, but a couple things to consider!    

Edited by kellc09 2009-01-07 7:04 AM
2009-01-07 10:20 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Heidi and Holly- The Paleo diet does not include legumes or dairy, so you would essentially need to eat seafood/fish, protein powder, nuts and eggs(if you eat them) for your protein. The fruits and vegetables wouldn't pose a problem of course, and you would only eat potato/grains/sport supplements during your "training window"(the training window is described in great detail in the book). So, having once been a pescatarian I think the biggest change would be to rely less on grains/legumes and increase your seafood/fish consumption. Of course, you could also alter the diet in other ways to suit your needs. It is geared more towards meat eaters, but you could definitely make it work  

Edited by roni_runnw 2009-01-07 10:44 AM
2009-01-07 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

To anyone thinking of getting the book, make sure to get "The Paleo Diet for Athletes" not just "The Paleo Diet". "The Paleo Diet" is not geared towards endurance athletes and doesn't address the needs of people doing alot of cardio activity. "The Paleo Diet for Athletes" was co-written with Joe Friel (a well known endurance sports coach), especially for endurance athletes.

2009-01-07 10:55 AM

User image

Expert

Kellie and Roni-Thanks for the info about the Paleo book. I think I'll check one more bookstore to see if they have it, and if not I'll consider ordering it.

When I stopped eating meat about a year and a half ago, it  was sort of accidental. I never imagined that I'd still be doing this today. I did see a nutritionist a few months into the "no-meat" thing, but wasn't doing hardcore workouts at that time. I'm going to see if there is a sports nutritionist in the area that my insurance will cover. I'm not big on legumes or grains, so the diet is probably fairly do-able for me.

Holly- Could your elbow pain be swim related? What, if anything helps alleviate it?

2009-01-07 10:59 AM

User image

Expert

I have a bike trainer question. Now that I have the cateye set up, I can actually track distance and MPH. So, during my mainset, my MPH is beween 13.5 and 14.5. But during the WU and CD, it drops to about 10 or 11. This obviously effects the average MPH for the workout.

Do you include the WU and CD in the average MPH, or just calculate the mainset?

Thanks.

2009-01-07 11:36 AM
in reply to: #1892177

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Unless I am doing a LT test, I just log my overall average for the whole ride.
2009-01-07 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
slow turtle - 2009-01-07 11:59 AM

I have a bike trainer question. Now that I have the cateye set up, I can actually track distance and MPH. So, during my mainset, my MPH is beween 13.5 and 14.5. But during the WU and CD, it drops to about 10 or 11. This obviously effects the average MPH for the workout.

Thanks.

I typically include everything in my run and bike workouts. I wouldn't worry so much about average MPH right now. As long as you're getting in the workouts of Jorge's program, which seem to be pretty difficult, the ave mph will come, but getting in the time is more important.

2009-01-07 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
slow turtle - 2009-01-07 10:59 AM

Thanks.

I include the whole workout in my calculations on here.  So some workouts will look slow, but I may have had a lot of recovery in there, and a long warm up and cool down.  YOu can log your whole workout, but yeah, the overall average can look slower when you do a proper warm up and cool down and log it in there.    Ive seen some people log two seperate workouts, one for a warm up, one for main set, but I dont think thats necessary if you are noting what you are doing within the workout.  

2009-01-07 3:52 PM

User image

Master
slow turtle - 2009-01-07 10:59 AM

Thanks.

Ditto what other said. I'll always make notes about speeds or whatever if I want to make sure that later, at a glance, I want to call something out (something fast or slow or whatever).

Glad you are able to start tracking some data! I find having more numbers more motivating!
2009-01-07 4:49 PM

User image

Elgin, Ok
I have a question about timing of gel and water intake. I ran 13.1 miles today for my workout and never really became out of breath. It just felt like I couldn't make my legs go in the later part of the run. I think it was based on lack of fuel. What are some of your recomendations on milage and time tables for gel and water intake?
2009-01-07 5:20 PM
in reply to: #1893253

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

hughes411 - 2009-01-07 4:49 PM I have a question about timing of gel and water intake. I ran 13.1 miles today for my workout and never really became out of breath. It just felt like I couldn't make my legs go in the later part of the run. I think it was based on lack of fuel. What are some of your recomendations on milage and time tables for gel and water intake?

That can get complex fairly quickly so I will defer to our mentor.  Last year I hired a nutritionist to evaluate my sweat rate to come up with my fluid intake timing as well as carbs, and salt.  I weighed myself before and after each workout for several weeks, then did some high math(at least it is for meSmile), then calculated my salt loss, water loss, and carbohydrate loss.  If no one has more info for you, I could send you my spreadsheets so you can see what I did. 

Oh, and there is a LOT of controversy on fueling for athletic events out there, so beware!  I read an article in a magazine stating that no one needs supplemental salt during events and on the very next page was an article extolling the benefits of salt supplementation during athletic events!  Oops!, the editor should have caught that one!

2009-01-07 5:47 PM

User image

Master
hughes411 - 2009-01-07 4:49 PM

I have a question about timing of gel and water intake. I ran 13.1 miles today for my workout and never really became out of breath. It just felt like I couldn't make my legs go in the later part of the run. I think it was based on lack of fuel. What are some of your recomendations on milage and time tables for gel and water intake?

I, too, will defer to Kellie, but will throw in my experience based on lotsa long runs and a few (6) marathons and tons of halves. For anything under about 1:30, I am fine w/o any fuel or water, depending on the weather (summer I would carry water for anything over an hour). For a run of 1:30, I, personally, need at least one gel to give me the umph to get home again. Once I start in on gels I need one about every 30-45 min. But I am still experimenting on that. I have also tried running with CarboPro (powdered maltodexterin added to water), which I liked as it didn't give me the spikes of gels -- it was fewer calories more frequently and therefore more evenly. I drink to thirst during exercise always. I have never sat down to figure caloric intake or outtake, but do play around on long runs and rides. My stomach can handle just about anything on a bike ride, but not so much for running.

Looking at your run (great job, btw, you just went out and did a half marathon!!)... there may also have been an element of taking it out too fast. With proper fuel and a slower start, you may have been able to hold more even splits the entire way.
2009-01-07 6:09 PM
in reply to: #1893299

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
Gregkl - 2009-01-07 6:20 PM

hughes411 - 2009-01-07 4:49 PM I have a question about timing of gel and water intake. I ran 13.1 miles today for my workout and never really became out of breath. It just felt like I couldn't make my legs go in the later part of the run. I think it was based on lack of fuel. What are some of your recomendations on milage and time tables for gel and water intake?

That can get complex fairly quickly so I will defer to our mentor.  Last year I hired a nutritionist to evaluate my sweat rate to come up with my fluid intake timing as well as carbs, and salt.  I weighed myself before and after each workout for several weeks, then did some high math(at least it is for meSmile), then calculated my salt loss, water loss, and carbohydrate loss.  If no one has more info for you, I could send you my spreadsheets so you can see what I did. 

Oh, and there is a LOT of controversy on fueling for athletic events out there, so beware!  I read an article in a magazine stating that no one needs supplemental salt during events and on the very next page was an article extolling the benefits of salt supplementation during athletic events!  Oops!, the editor should have caught that one!

I'd be real interested in the spreadsheets if you don't mind sending them to me. Always trying to take in more info.

2009-01-07 7:29 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Uh oh.. another loaded question   Again, unfortunately one of those trial and error things.  For me, if I know that if I am going on a run over 1.5 hours for a endurance pace run, or over 45minute - 1 hour of very intense interval training, Im going to supplement.  45m - 1 hour of intense, it might be just one gel or about 100 cals of a sports drink.   If its a long run over 1.5 hours, I will start taking at 40 - 45 minutes, and then every about 45 minutes after that, or, if 2 hours, about 200 cals of a sports drink.   (about the same as 2 gels).     Im also 5'4, and hover between 123-137 lbs.  So, its different for guys obviously.

I did some trial and error to come to this, but last year when I was trying to be more precise during the IM training, I used some formulas on Infinit Nutritions website to help out a bit.  I found it to be pretty helpful, and pretty true to what I had been coming up with through trial and error.   here it is:

http://www.infinitnutrition.us/information/

Specifically look for the document for calculating bike caloric need, and run caloric needs since you can take in more on the bike than you can the run.

Let me know if that helps at all!  

2009-01-08 9:14 AM

User image

Expert

Another nutrition question (or more clarification):

Last summer when I was training for the sprint, I experimented with a few beans and gels. The beans are way to sugary and sweet for me. I have a weird "texture thing" that makes gels difficult for me to swallow. Which is why I settled on the fig Newtons. Keep in mind, I was only training for a sprint, so not doing huge distances.

It seems like what I need to do is start experimenting with some of the suggestions you've all given.  But, I'm not doing any bike/run bricks now, and my runs are very short still. So it seems silly to fuel on a super short run. Or is that the best time to experiment?

So here are the questions (finally): For a swim/run workout, when should I fuel? I'm usually pretty shaky when I get out of the pool.

If I'm doing an hour of Jorge's program, is that a good time to experiment with gels? Or will it not give me a true sense of what to expect?

2009-01-08 9:30 AM
in reply to: #1894556

User image

Master
slow turtle - 2009-01-08 9:14 AM

Last summer when I was training for the sprint, I experimented with a few beans and gels. The beans are way to sugary and sweet for me. I have a weird "texture thing" that makes gels difficult for me to swallow. Which is why I settled on the fig Newtons. Keep in mind, I was only training for a sprint, so not doing huge distances.

It seems like what I need to do is start experimenting with some of the suggestions you've all given.  But, I'm not doing any bike/run bricks now, and my runs are very short still. So it seems silly to fuel on a super short run. Or is that the best time to experiment?

So here are the questions (finally): For a swim/run workout, when should I fuel? I'm usually pretty shaky when I get out of the pool.

If I'm doing an hour of Jorge's program, is that a good time to experiment with gels? Or will it not give me a true sense of what to expect?

It's hard to do lots of trial and error because sometimes the trials don't work and you end up feeling ick!!

Here is my thinking on fuel/short workouts (for ME): If I am working out 1st thing in the a.m. I just need something in the tank to get me going. My morning fave is small bowl of granola w/soy milk. I look at what I plan to do -- if it's high intensity (a la Jorge) or longer distance (maybe more than 5-mile run), I make my bowl of granola bigger. Just more calories to keep me going. I can eat this meal and be out the door or on the bike 5 minutes later and be fine. Yes, I am not getting that benefit of fueling 2 hours in advance or whatever, but I'm not getting up at 3 or 4am to do that!!!

Sometimes I work out later in the morning, like around 9:30am. This is when I normally eat breakfast (if not working out I just drink coffee in the morning when I'm getting the kiddos out the door), but my usual breakfast (smoothie made w/yogurt + fruit + other goodies) won't work. So I go back to my bowl of granola, only now I need to make it bigger because my body is used to getting a meal at this time so I am delaying that meal AND need the fuel for my workout. You with me so far??!!

I try to look at how the workout corresponds to meal times and plan accordingly, no matter how long/short the workout. If I meet a friend to run at 11 or 11:30 or something, I know it'll delay my lunch so I better eat a snack before that workout to sustain me until I eat again.

If you are doing a swim/run, how long is your total workout? If you are shaky when you get out of the pool, I would definitely take in some nutrition before your run. What about part of a cliff bar or something like that? Or half of a pb sando (w/honey or banana or jelly or whatever)? Or a baggie of cereal? Or a banana?

I, personally, probably couldn't stomach a gel during a Jorge workout -- I am breathing way too hard and would probably heave up a gel (which would be even grosser than eating the gel in the first place!). I *might* be able to stomach a sports drink, but I really can't stand much sweet so if I did it would have to be diluted (or try something like Infiniti or CarboPro w/o flavor).

I dunno if that helps! Good luck!
2009-01-08 9:39 AM
in reply to: #1894556

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
slow turtle - 2009-01-08 9:14 AM

Well, it may be ok to test some things out in the sense of finding something you are ok with the texture and flavor of.  But what your body handles at short distances isnt always a good predictor of what will work/taste good after 2-3 hours or further beyond.  So, until you hit those longer workouts, Id say experiment with taste/texture.  And when youare doing Jorges program, drink some during the warm ups, and the recovery periods, never during the high intensity part.  Then you will have a better chance and heaving    Plus, your body is already working hard enough, best to take it in at the moments of low intensity in a workout

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 30