BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2010-12-31 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3269637

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
Subject: RE: MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED!
kalico123 - 2010-12-31 9:56 AM I wanted to share an inspiring video that was sent to me a little while ago with all of you.  It was sent to a freind of mine, by someone who said it reminded him of his story.  This friend has now done two ironmans (along with many other races)  and is training for his third, has helped train me (and has helped me lose almost 100lbs) and keeps me inspired and motivated to keep wanting more!  When I start to question myself .... I play this....

http://www.wimp.com/beinspired/

HAPPY NEW YEAR  everyone!  May it be the best one ever!!

Oh, my goodness. Thank you for sharing this video! I love mushy stuff like this - totally works on/for me. Happy new Year!

2010-12-31 6:52 PM
in reply to: #3269637

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
kalico123 - 2010-12-31 9:56 AM I wanted to share an inspiring video that was sent to me a little while ago with all of you.  It was sent to a freind of mine, by someone who said it reminded him of his story.  This friend has now done two ironmans (along with many other races)  and is training for his third, has helped train me (and has helped me lose almost 100lbs) and keeps me inspired and motivated to keep wanting more!  When I start to question myself .... I play this....

Oh, my goodness. Thank you for sharing this video! I love mushy stuff like this - totally works on/for me. Happy new Year!
2010-12-31 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3270215

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
lmscozz - 2010-12-31 4:13 PM

burnettbunch - 2010-12-31 8:14 AM
kalico123 - 2010-12-31 8:56 AM I wanted to share an inspiring video that was sent to me a little while ago with all of you.  It was sent to a freind of mine, by someone who said it reminded him of his story.  This friend has now done two ironmans (along with many other races)  and is training for his third, has helped train me (and has helped me lose almost 100lbs) and keeps me inspired and motivated to keep wanting more!  When I start to question myself .... I play this....

Thank you for sharing this video!! So inspirational!!  Hope you are staying warm in SK.

As for New Years, we are recovering from the Christmas that never wanted to end and our daughters 1st birthday party yesterday!  My husband would like to stay up and watch movies all night but I'm more inclined to be in bed by 9!! Boo!  Enjoy all your swims/bikes/runs!  Happy 2011!! 

Okay, I just took the time to watch that video. OMG! Teared up for sure. Is this someone we at BT know? Any idea which IM it was?

Thanks for sharing it!

Lynn

I've seen his inspirational video on BT a few months ago.  He is a BT member.  His avatar name is BenDoesLife.  He did Ironman Louisville.  His race report is inspirational as well.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=224645&posts=42&start=1 

Edited by cggale 2010-12-31 9:09 PM
2011-01-01 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3270540

User image

Veteran
Austin
cggale - 2010-12-31 9:07 PM
lmscozz - 2010-12-31 4:13 PM

burnettbunch - 2010-12-31 8:14 AM
kalico123 - 2010-12-31 8:56 AM I wanted to share an inspiring video that was sent to me a little while ago with all of you.  It was sent to a freind of mine, by someone who said it reminded him of his story.  This friend has now done two ironmans (along with many other races)  and is training for his third, has helped train me (and has helped me lose almost 100lbs) and keeps me inspired and motivated to keep wanting more!  When I start to question myself .... I play this....

Thank you for sharing this video!! So inspirational!!  Hope you are staying warm in SK.

As for New Years, we are recovering from the Christmas that never wanted to end and our daughters 1st birthday party yesterday!  My husband would like to stay up and watch movies all night but I'm more inclined to be in bed by 9!! Boo!  Enjoy all your swims/bikes/runs!  Happy 2011!! 

Okay, I just took the time to watch that video. OMG! Teared up for sure. Is this someone we at BT know? Any idea which IM it was?

Thanks for sharing it!

Lynn

I've seen his inspirational video on BT a few months ago.  He is a BT member.  His avatar name is BenDoesLife.  He did Ironman Louisville.  His race report is inspirational as well.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=224645&posts=42&start=1 

Thanks for the video and the race report - just what you need to start of the new year! 
2011-01-01 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3256055

User image

Regular
Dubln, Ohio

Highlights from the new article today.  Always good advice to remember

So here are some tips for success:

1 - Find a training plan that works for you, and stick with it.

2 - Don’t sweat the technical stuff

3 - The 10 percent rule

4 - Rest, recovery and sleep

5 - Realistic goals

One final note:

If you have truly resolved to become a triathlete, you should sign up for a race now! There’s no better way to ensure you will stick with your goal than putting money on the table.

2011-01-01 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Let's give a big Manatee flipper five to our newest MAD Manatee Melyssa from down under! She was a manatee last season and "once a manatee, always a manatee." It's a little like the Hotel California, you can check out any time you like but you can never leave."

Maybe Yanti can add her name to the listing.j Melyssa, feel free to introduce yourself.

2011-01-01 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3269801

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Galwegian - 2010-12-31 9:31 AM
lmscozz - 2010-12-31 4:59 PM

Galwegian - 2010-12-31 6:02 AM Hello again all,

Just just back from a trip to Ireland. It was soooo cold - the phone and internet were down but at least we had running water, unlike some neighbours. Worse than that though, I've been stricken with man-flu so I may not survive into 2011 - it's touch and go right now.

I do know the Tatton Tri SteveyD! It's where I lost my triathlon virginity this year. A bit pricey for a repeat next year though methinks.  I'm going to do the Trafford Triathlon in April (if it ever opens for entry) and then hopefully a few around the northwest later in the summer. All dependent on surviving this man-flu of course.

Niall

Is the man flu too many pints? Just wondering?

Oh no no. I'm afraid you'll never understand :P This link may help though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EElqrgk4N0

Ohhhh! The MAN-flu! Yeah, I've seen that in action once or twice, been married for 20 some years.

2011-01-01 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3270912

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Lagnar - 2011-01-01 10:15 AM

3 - The 10 percent rule

5 - Realistic goals

One final note:

If you have truly resolved to become a triathlete, you should sign up for a race now! There’s no better way to ensure you will stick with your goal than putting money on the table.

Thanks DJ for the tips.  Now that it's the new year, I should start signing up for Racine 70.3.  Money was a factor, but I set some aside for this particular event.  I told myself that once the new year began, me, my sister, and my brother-in-law were going to sign up.

Heck, what am I waiting for........ Surprised
2011-01-01 7:11 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
I played golf instead of training to start off the New Year.  Day off, you know.  Needed one.
2011-01-01 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3271261

User image

Abilene
lmscozz - 2011-01-01 1:28 PM

Let's give a big Manatee flipper five to our newest MAD Manatee Melyssa from down under! She was a manatee last season and "once a manatee, always a manatee." It's a little like the Hotel California, you can check out any time you like but you can never leave."

Maybe Yanti can add her name to the listing.j Melyssa, feel free to introduce yourself.

Hi Melissa!  Looking forward to hearing a little about yourself!
2011-01-02 12:13 AM

User image

Regular
New Zealand
Thanks Lynn & Jenn :-)

Very grateful you let me butt in late, but as you say, once a manatee...

Quick intro about me
Hailing from New Zealand, where it is midsummer (and summer school holidays arrgh).  I'm a single mum of 3 kids aged 2, 9, 11 years.  I'm a doctor, was working in general practice last year which severely impacted on time for training, so have returned, for many reasons, into working for the medical school here - where I teach little doctors (and have a lot more flexible time!)
Never been athletic really, although grew up swimming in open water.  Decided to do my first tri last season, mostly to help shift baby weight and to do something that wasn't kid wrangling or paying the mortgage. Loved it! Did two women's triathlons last season, training pretty much stopped when I went back into practice.
My short term goal this year is to compete in the next local women's tri here - a 300m OWS (harbour is really cold, just bought my first wetsuit), 15k bike, 4 k run.  And I guess my mid term goal is to complete a 'normal' sprint length triathlon comfortably, and maybe work up to an Oly.
I have scheduled this year's work to fit in 9 hours a week free (single mum, it's hard to train outside work/school/daycare hours) so hopefully, this year is my year
Looking forward to reading back and catching up with all your stories!
Thanks again for letting me in

Melyssa

2011-01-02 3:28 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Drive by Hello and Happy New year!
Working today, but have only 3 days of work in the next 10, so maybe some training time for once :D 
2011-01-02 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3268897

User image

Melon Presser
kickitinok - 2010-12-31 7:35 AM
TriAya - 2010-12-29 2:56 PM
kickitinok - 2010-12-31 2:38 AM Hey Manatees -

How is everyone starting their New Year? I'm thinking about a 5K race New Years Day @ 9am if it isn't too cold. Hope it isn't! Other than that, I'm a participant with TRI-OKC in our training contest. Prizes for different levels of training attained over the next three months. Having a lot of fun with it.

Went swimming today and let me tell you - salt water is so much easier to swim in! I felt as though I were swimming through Jello at the Y today. Wish I lived close to the ocean.

I'm thinking I need a foam roller for my sore muscles after running. I don't run that far, but boy does it hurt my legs, back and bum afterwards. Anyone have suggestions for what size to get? 

Run slower. I know you'll want to scream at me and say I CAN'T, but it's amazing how far a little laziness can go ... literally ... ultimately, you will be able to run farther and faster

at this stage of the game your legs, back and bum shouldn't be hurting like that, and rarely at other stages, either.

really important, esp. with running, especially as you're building up running [very carefully, as you are, kudos], to run at a 'conversational' pace, and with an exertion level where both in terms of energy and muscle wear you'd be able to go out the next day and do the same run, no problem. [not that you would, but that you could]

that said, foamies are great, and by all means get one for working out tight spots now and then. but it shouldn't be a tool that you have to consistently depend on for recovery, or something isn't right.

new year's--a bt'er has entrusted me with his (um 20-something-year-old, i think) daughter, who on earth knows why, ha ha, but we are going to rip it up at the michael franti concert, and i will be logging my dancing, thankyouverymuch. maybe a nice easy swim the next day if it's not storming.

If I run any slower, it will technically be walking. Seriously. I run 5.1 mph then walk 3.6mph, alternating between the two. That's pretty darn slow. I'm open to suggestions on how everyone else got over the running "hump." I have found that losing 35lbs has helped a lot, but I'm still significantly overweight, and don't want to injure myself.....it's hard carrying any extra weight in triathlon, esp the running part. 

Regarding my extra weight: I'm treating it as an important component of my triathlon training. I log onto WW at least three times a day to log my food. Then I log my training. I've also added weight training to my training plan in an attempt at building some muscle and speeding-up my metabolism. Seems to be working? 

Ha ha ha ha ... see how I anticipated your response? I'm psychic ... no actually, I do read the manatees' training logs.

as the others also said ... if you slow down, that means you're walking / walking more. Great!

also, any overweight adds to the wear on your musculature and joints exponentially, not linearly or even multiply. makes it even more important to build up slowly, slowly, slowly.

weight training is a fine idea, imo, for shaping, metabolism--weight reduction is more likely as well, but even if not, the weigh training is accomplishing exactly what's desirable in this scenario.
2011-01-02 9:18 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Welcome back, Melyssa! so happy to see you and i've missed you!

will be adding your name to the new manatee table

As for the rest of you rabble rousers

Great seeing you put your races up. I will start the Google doc forthwith. It will have a few more columns than just 'goal races.'

A race isn't exactly a goal ... what ARE your goals? think about this and be as specific as possible.

- just crawl over the finish line alive and be able to work the next day? if you couldn't do this tomorrow, what specifically do you need to do to get there?

- do you feel you need improvements in bike/run/swim? what kind? whatcha gonna do to make it happen?

- do you have goal times in those races?

see what I'm getting at here?
2011-01-02 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3272231

User image

Regular
Dubln, Ohio

Don't ever feel bad or worry about being a slow runner.  I'm slower than slow myself and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.  Forget about being self conscious, it is about your own sense of accomplishment and you are the one that will get across the finishline.  To get over the hump consider this:

PATIENTS AND CONSISTENCY = BUILDING DURABILITY

2011-01-02 3:50 PM

User image

Regular
Dubln, Ohio

Finished inputting and inported the first part of my training plan.  Easy week then I'm off.  I will be registering for an event(s) in the next week. 

2011-01-02 5:24 PM
in reply to: #3272728

User image

Veteran
Lagnar - 2011-01-02 2:47 PM

Don't ever feel bad or worry about being a slow runner.  I'm slower than slow myself and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.  Forget about being self conscious, it is about your own sense of accomplishment and you are the one that will get across the finishline.  To get over the hump consider this:

PATIENTS AND CONSISTENCY = BUILDING DURABILITY

Thank you for this... I must and will work on this in order to build my run.
2011-01-02 5:27 PM
in reply to: #3270912

User image

Veteran
Lagnar - 2011-01-01 9:15 AM

3 - The 10 percent rule

5 - Realistic goals

One final note:

ok... I did it! I registered for my first 1/2 mary yesterday. The RPS 1/2 on April 17.   Now... I start running again. SLOWLY!
2011-01-02 5:49 PM

User image

Abilene
Anyone else re-starting their training after a long break? Or starting for the first time ever?  I'm anxious and excited all at the same time. First session is in the pool tomorrow.  According to plan it is roughly a 45m session with a 10 min warm up, 30 minutes of continuous swimming and 5 minute cool down. Wish me luck!!
2011-01-02 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3272911

User image

Veteran
burnettbunch - 2011-01-02 4:49 PM Anyone else re-starting their training after a long break? Or starting for the first time ever?  I'm anxious and excited all at the same time. First session is in the pool tomorrow.  According to plan it is roughly a 45m session with a 10 min warm up, 30 minutes of continuous swimming and 5 minute cool down. Wish me luck!!

I will be starting a tri-training program with a group for the first time next week.  I'm excited and anxious too!! Good Luck tomorrow in the pool!  Is it a coached session?
2011-01-02 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3272981

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Tomorrow the kids will be back in school.   Back in the pool for me.  I'm going to focus on a lot of drills.  From what I've heard, drills really does help you be a better swimmer.  Last year swimming for me was about surviving the distance.  This year, I want to focus on technique and drill work.  I'm hoping that this will improve my overall distance and confidence in the water...not necessarily time.  Though an improved time would be nice.    Confidence is what I lack in the water.  My goal for my next OWS is to not panic and not to swim kayak to kayak.

Happy training everone!!! 

2011-01-02 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3272981

User image

Abilene
kalico123 - 2011-01-02 5:37 PM
burnettbunch - 2011-01-02 4:49 PM Anyone else re-starting their training after a long break? Or starting for the first time ever?  I'm anxious and excited all at the same time. First session is in the pool tomorrow.  According to plan it is roughly a 45m session with a 10 min warm up, 30 minutes of continuous swimming and 5 minute cool down. Wish me luck!!

I will be starting a tri-training program with a group for the first time next week.  I'm excited and anxious too!! Good Luck tomorrow in the pool!  Is it a coached session?

No, it's not coached. There isn't much of a tri community in Abilene that I know of.  Haven't even looked into a Masters club yet. I've been watching the Total Immersion swim videos. They make it look SO easy!! Grrrr.  I'll get there too!

I agree. Lots of drills to build your muscle memory on proper technique. Speed will come later.  I need to find a decent lake around here that isn't muddy brown (you gotta love TX for that!).  The nearest one I know of is about an hour away.

That will be a new goal for this year.  To get in at least 5 non-race open water swims.  
2011-01-02 8:04 PM
in reply to: #3272911

User image

Master
Vista, CA

burnettbunch - 2011-01-02 3:49 PM Anyone else re-starting their training after a long break? Or starting for the first time ever?  I'm anxious and excited all at the same time. First session is in the pool tomorrow.  According to plan it is roughly a 45m session with a 10 min warm up, 30 minutes of continuous swimming and 5 minute cool down. Wish me luck!!

LUCK! But, it's not really luck, you know, it's just persistence. The journey begins...

2011-01-02 8:06 PM
in reply to: #3272878

User image

Master
Vista, CA

kalico123 - 2011-01-02 3:27 PM
Lagnar - 2011-01-01 9:15 AM

3 - The 10 percent rule

5 - Realistic goals

One final note:

ok... I did it! I registered for my first 1/2 mary yesterday. The RPS 1/2 on April 17.   Now... I start running again. SLOWLY!

Way to take the plunge, so to speak. I do think having those races as goals make it much easier to get out and train.  I always envision that each workout brings me one step closer to my goal, makes me just a bit stronger, gives me just a little bit more confidence.

2011-01-02 8:43 PM

User image

Happy New Year everyone!! Thank you for all inspires. I'm inspired!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 38