BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-04-10 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3438468

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP
kkcbelle - 2011-04-10 11:38 AM

Welcome!! You are making awesome progress -- great for you!!

And do you ever hear that you look like Pam?? Wink

As a matter of fact, I have heard that before.  But, I'm sure she's younger and makes a lot more money than I do. :-)  But, can she swim, bike, and run????

2011-04-10 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3438613

User image

Master
Sin City
jfought - 2011-04-10 11:59 AM
kkcbelle - 2011-04-10 11:38 AM

Welcome!! You are making awesome progress -- great for you!!

And do you ever hear that you look like Pam?? Wink

As a matter of fact, I have heard that before.  But, I'm sure she's younger and makes a lot more money than I do. :-)  But, can she swim, bike, and run????

LOL! Love it!

2011-04-10 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: lateral collateral ligament pain

I *think* I pushed myself a little too hard or stretched too hard after my recent run. I didn't feel any pain set in until Saturday afternoonish.  

At first it felt like just normal muscular pain, but now I don't think it is because it's in such an odd spot on my knee (usually I have quad muscle pain for a little while - ie a few hours).  After looking online of knee joints and stuff, it looks like I have lateral collateral ligament pain.  It does not hurt at all when I walk or jump up and down etc, but when I go really low (think like a lunge), bend my leg all the way (such on the floor with my feet touching my butt), I can feel a twinge of pain on the lateral side of my knee. 

After I did a lot of walking yesterday on Fremont Street (friend was visiting, and saw Fremont for the first time), it started to get a little worse at the end of the evening. 

Right now it seems alright, just a twinge of pain (probably a 4 on a 10 pain scale, and only when I "activate" the ligament to the furthest point), but I don't know how to TREAT it. 

Foam rolling? The Stick? Ice Therapy? Light stretching? Heat Therapy? Do nothing?

I was planning on doing an easy bike (30 minutes), with 10 min easy run today (easy brick).   Should I bag it or do it and see if it will resolve on its own and put ice pack on it right after the workout. 

So what says you MG?

2011-04-10 2:27 PM
in reply to: #3438580

User image

Master
Maryland
gdale - 2011-04-10 2:15 PM

Hey Gang - back from my HM.  Finished in 1:49:40 (I think that was the official time). 5 minutes slower than last year but I was not going out for or expecting a PR today.  Given my current fitness, I went out too fast which made for a painful end to the race.  I was in the hurt locker but for the wrong reasons - HA!!  Felt good overall and expect to produce a much better showing on May 1st at my next HM.  Race report later or tomorrow.  Pizza now!

Excellent time George! Congrats to you!

Linda

George 

2011-04-10 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3438411

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
jfought - 2011-04-10 10:14 AM
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-08 1:50 PM
everlong - 2011-04-08 1:19 PM

If the weather holds I'll get in an additional 60-90 minute outdoor ride Thursday or Friday late afternoon. All my other training kicks off at 5:30-6AM.

i thought you said you get up insanely early?   5:30?  what's it like to sleep in that late?     ;-)

crazy woman up there in the neon shirt busts out 10-14 milers every day at 4am.  i'm lazy and make it 4:30.  some get at it really late at night. 

Up at 4:30am here.  Open pool hours are from 5-6 am.  Kinda nice to get one workout in before you are awake enough to realize what you're doing :-)

I'm impressed - I'd have better luck staying up until 4:30 than getting up at 4:30 on a regular basis for a workout!

2011-04-10 2:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
gdale - 2011-04-10 2:15 PM

Hey Gang - back from my HM.  Finished in 1:49:40 (I think that was the official time). 5 minutes slower than last year but I was not going out for or expecting a PR today.  Given my current fitness, I went out too fast which made for a painful end to the race.  I was in the hurt locker but for the wrong reasons - HA!!  Felt good overall and expect to produce a much better showing on May 1st at my next HM.  Race report later or tomorrow.  Pizza now!

George 

that's 13 more miles than I've been able to run lately, so it sure looks good to me - congrats on a good race!

2011-04-10 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3438321

User image

Veteran
Austin
SoccerGK - 2011-04-10 7:20 AM
copa2251 - 2011-04-10 4:06 AM

Super helpful, thanks for posting that!  My kick WILL get there someday!  If there's any sport individually I would want a coach for, swimming would be it!

Ryan and I are moving to Fond du Lac (yuck) at the end of next month, and apparently they have Masters swim classes.  I want to sign up, but at the same time, I will likely be laughed out of the pool!  We'll see how much it costs!

This is what has stopped me from joining Masters.  I'm thinking about sucking up my pride and just going for it once I'm done with my first tri and have a little more time to dedicate to swimming only.  Let me know if you end up joining!

2011-04-10 4:34 PM
in reply to: #3438746

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
lounav - 2011-04-10 5:15 PM

Super helpful, thanks for posting that!  My kick WILL get there someday!  If there's any sport individually I would want a coach for, swimming would be it!

Ryan and I are moving to Fond du Lac (yuck) at the end of next month, and apparently they have Masters swim classes.  I want to sign up, but at the same time, I will likely be laughed out of the pool!  We'll see how much it costs!

This is what has stopped me from joining Masters.  I'm thinking about sucking up my pride and just going for it once I'm done with my first tri and have a little more time to dedicate to swimming only.  Let me know if you end up joining!

I wouldn't sweat it, there are always "slow" people at masters.  When you have D1 college swimmers in lane 1, everyone is slower.  I've been to 3-4 different masters groups and some are snotty but there is always someone that swims at your ability somewhere in the pool.

So go to masters and get faster.  It won't be bad at all.

Edited by dalessit 2011-04-10 4:34 PM
2011-04-10 4:40 PM
in reply to: #3438771

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
dalessit - 2011-04-10 5:34 PM
lounav - 2011-04-10 5:15 PM

I wouldn't sweat it, there are always "slow" people at masters.  When you have D1 college swimmers in lane 1, everyone is slower.  I've been to 3-4 different masters groups and some are snotty but there is always someone that swims at your ability somewhere in the pool.

So go to masters and get faster.  It won't be bad at all.

x2

first masters group i swam with was pretty snobby. current group is great - they really want to attract swimmers at all skill levels and make them comfortable while providing good coaching to improve technique. so, sometimes it's just a matter of the coaches' / group's philosophy....

2011-04-10 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3438746

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
lounav - 2011-04-10 4:15 PM

[/QUOTE

SUCK it up and do it.....I felt the same way.....the truth of the matter is in my class I am nearly always the slowest one.  The two fastest lanes do another 500+ each session.  Who cares???? as long as you're benefitting from it that's what counts.   I had one fast guy try to give me some pointers since we arrived early to class.  He was very nice about it.  And if someone is laughing behind your back, you'll never know it.    It's a win-win...they're amused and your learning to swim faster

2011-04-10 4:58 PM
in reply to: #3438783

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Haha!  Excellent point, Suzy!  I'm hoping since it's a smaller town, it won't be as snotty as I've heard some to be.  It will be worth it to get faster!  I still have to look up details.  How much do they usually cost?

George - That is a great half-mary time!  Congrats! 

DJ - I'm not sure what you should do, but careful with self-diagnosis.  Ryan does that all the time, and he's always wrong. Undecided I say take a little while off, since your next workouts are supposed to be light anyway.  Then if it still hurts, doctor time!  Keep us posted.

re: Chrissie Wellington:  She rocks.  Seriously!  8th overall?  She's in a league of her own!

Edited by SoccerGK 2011-04-10 5:03 PM

2011-04-10 5:09 PM

User image

Sacramento, CA

Hi All,

I am new to the Tri...been training for 8 weeks.  Loving most everything about my trainin.  Had a great day yesterday, Swam 1 hour, biked 90 minutes, strength trained and did run drills in gym on bb court. 

Today, i am supposed to do a long run 50 minutes but I am having some sort of blockwith my running and I am dreading it. I hate evey moment of the running.  I suffer every step, it hurts my knees and my legs always feel heavy and Any advice to make running seem more doable, enjoyable, easier?

2011-04-10 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3438811

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
cherifortin - 2011-04-10 6:09 PM

Hi All,

I am new to the Tri...been training for 8 weeks.  Loving most everything about my trainin.  Had a great day yesterday, Swam 1 hour, biked 90 minutes, strength trained and did run drills in gym on bb court. 

Today, i am supposed to do a long run 50 minutes but I am having some sort of blockwith my running and I am dreading it. I hate evey moment of the running.  I suffer every step, it hurts my knees and my legs always feel heavy and Any advice to make running seem more doable, enjoyable, easier?

Hopefully people who really know what they're talking about will give you an intelligent answer, but for me - minimal running experience & I'm trying to convince myself that I don't hate it - social running has been really helpful. There's a large road runner's club in my area, with training programs year-round, and I've ended up in pace groups with a couple dozen runners all running the same pace, and that's offered the perfect distraction for me. That, and regular stretching, strength training, and quality time with my foam roller have all really helped me build my base & minimize pain (in addition to accepting that the 1st mile always sucks and to just get over it).

2011-04-10 6:23 PM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
cherifortin - 2011-04-10 6:09 PM

Hi All,

I was the same way, I used to hate running.  For me it was just doing more of it that made it more enjoyable.  Do you run with music?  If not try that, if you do run with music, maybe try some podcasts, there are some good tri-related ones, running ones, biking ones, etc.  Or also I just started listening to podcast books.

Another thing to try is maybe switching up your route, running in different locations can also make it more enjoyable.

I used to get shin splints, aches & moan and groan about running but now I love it.

2011-04-10 6:27 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

George, Congrats on a great half marathon!  Glad to see that John was able to shame you into doing the run.  Hope you guys had fun!  You are going to rock the next one in 3 weeks!

DJ-hope you decided to just bag the ride and run today...no use further aggravating the ligament.  I would imagine maybe swimming might be good (if you don't kick like a mad woman)...take care!

Chrissie Wellington???  Well, she pretty much rocks and I am in awe of her!  Holy smackdown...she is one of a kind.

Jayne- getting up at 4:30 on a Sunday morning to swim is true dedication.  Tremendous!

Erica- if i can go to Masters and you guys know that I am a really slow swimmer, then you can dooooooo it!   The faster groups absolutely intimidate me, but I for one, know, that I will never be over in those lanes, but I get a lot out of hitting the reps, doing the sets and I feel like I am getting a lot more comfortable in the water.  And I like seeing the peeps that I swim with, they have been very encouraging.

Linda-havinfun, we have missed you!!!!!

Cheri- welcome!  I see that you are in Sacra-tomato.  Sorry, i can't remember reading your bio so I am not sure how much of a running background you have.  I know there are lots of running groups up that way, maybe joining a running club would help with some of the motivational stuff.   When I first started running again back in 2007, the first thing I did was to sign up for a running/walking conditioning class at my local city college (conveniently located a few blocks from my house).  I was determined not to re-injure myself by being overly ambitious.

The teacher was amazing, she had coached track at UCLA and really stressed warming up slowly, running drills like skipping, crossovers, kick-butt, walking on heels, walking on toes, etc...and keeping aware of our posture and our foot cadence.  Then we would do ankle flexibility exercises, toe taps...it seemed like so much preparation just to jog for 30 minutes!!!!   We would run a lap, then walk a lap, repeat.  I came to love every part of the class, the warm up, the actual running and the cool down and stretching that she had us do.  

To this day, I still do the running drills before I do my 10 minute warm up.  And when I warm up, I go really slow, so it doesn't suck as much as it used to.  I used to live by Marla's  "just accept that the first mile will suck".  It doesn't have to, it actually feels good, now!  I did so much run/walk that first year, it wasn't even funny.  I sucked up my pride and just did run/walk, because I didn't want to get injured again.  So if things are hurting, that is not good.  This stuff is supposed to be fun!  Do your legs feel heavy right from the get go?  Or only after 10 minutes or more???  If they are good for the first 10 minutes, maybe do 6 minutes of running and 2 minutes of walking and then repeat (just an example)   

Now, if you are recovering from an injury of some sort, then don't listen to me at all!!!!  I only speak from my experience with how I felt when I first started to run again.  Good luck!  

2011-04-10 6:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
cherifortin - 2011-04-10 5:09 PM

Hi All,

Hi Cheri~

What's your running history/how long have you been running?  I'm really new to running, I started in Oct.  I found following a good training plan helped me.  I was tending to do to much, to fast.  I also needed to slow down some and build up more slowly with  my speed.  Again, you may have already been running way longer than me, but thought I'd throw it out there.  

2011-04-10 7:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB
gdale - 2011-04-10 1:15 PM

George 

Good Run George!

2011-04-10 8:18 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
cherifortin - 2011-04-10 5:09 PM

Hi All,

You're starting this year about when I started last year!  And I despised running at first.  It was miserable, and I was lucky if I got through 2 miles without having to stop and walk.  It got to the point where I would make excuses not to run because I hated it so much.  Then I noticed that it was ALL a big mental game with myself.  I started literally telling myself that I was enjoying my runs, and sometimes I would force myself to smile while running!  I would keep my mind off it as much as possible, too. 

It was awesome then because, in the time I was forcing myself to enjoy my runs, I got better at running.  And when you get better, you actually DO start to enjoy it (or maybe I am THAT good at mind games!).  Now (or before the knee issue), I can run a pretty solid distance without stopping, and I love (and miss) my runs.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to go through this entire process again soon, so I will let you know how it goes!

2011-04-10 8:22 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

whoot here comes a whistle blow.... 1/2 marathon today ...PB prior was 2:02:48

Ran an even 1:56:00 today. Felt incredible. Really starting to learn as per Badger/Suzy et. al about this 'hurt locker.'

About 15k in i was ready to quit/slow down knowing I was well in front of my 2hr goal. But i sucked it up hard, and ran it in.

Will catch up with the posts in the AM.

2011-04-10 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3437060

User image

Veteran
Richmond
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-08 8:43 PM

mdfahy - 2011-04-08 9:39 PM This looks like a pretty energized group and would love to join in!?

answer correctly and you're in.  do the badgers suck? 

It depends who they are playing!

2011-04-10 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3439061

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2011-04-10 8:22 PM

Ran an even 1:56:00 today. Felt incredible. Really starting to learn as per Badger/Suzy et. al about this 'hurt locker.'

About 15k in i was ready to quit/slow down knowing I was well in front of my 2hr goal. But i sucked it up hard, and ran it in.

WOO-HOO!!!

Great MG weekend once again!

2011-04-10 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3439068

User image

Champion
mdfahy - 2011-04-10 8:25 PM

mdfahy - 2011-04-08 9:39 PM This looks like a pretty energized group and would love to join in!?

It depends who they are playing!

Any other Big Ten 10 team, like Ohio State!

Edited by SSMinnow 2011-04-10 8:26 PM
2011-04-10 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3437083

User image

Veteran
Richmond
SSMinnow - 2011-04-08 9:01 PM

Be careful how you answer this question!  There's so much riding on it

I had a feeling this was a loaded question! Glad I waited to answer....lol!  :-)

2011-04-10 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3439061

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2011-04-10 9:22 PM

awesome.  that's a solid pr brother. 

2011-04-10 8:32 PM
in reply to: #3439073

User image

Champion
marietta
mdfahy - 2011-04-10 9:27 PM
SSMinnow - 2011-04-08 9:01 PM

Be careful how you answer this question!  There's so much riding on it

I had a feeling this was a loaded question! Glad I waited to answer....lol!  :-)

no loaded questions around here.   welcome!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298