BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-01-26 7:15 AM
in reply to: #4011661

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed
iron_penguin - 2012-01-26 7:47 AM

Quivering Quads trail half  marathon - passed a couple guys on this single track muddy course.  Said "Good job guys" as  went by (kinda proud of myself at that moment). Took off running, tripped over a tree root and slid like a penguin down the hill. Popped up with a Mary Lou Retton kinda dismount, yelled "I'm Okay!"  and heard them laughing as I hobbled along.  I made it a mission to not let them pass me.  My hubby asked What Happened To You?  and I said, Oh, same old same old - just a clutz. I usually trip over roots and imaginary debris. I've mastered the tuck and roll quite nicely.

Ha!  That's a great story.  I'm sure the judges gave you extra credit for a solid dismount.

I'm running a night time trail HM this weekend.  It's been nothing but rain, snow, and sleet the past few weeks so I'm sure the trails will be a mess.  I told my husband I'm going to wear glow in the dark braclets/necklaces so it will be easier for people to see me when I'm lying on my face in the mud on the side of trail!

2012-01-26 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3955221

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Clutz or Graceful??

I'm with Emily; I'm terribly graceful as I'm tumbling down the hill.  My mantra is "It's not a mtn bike ride unless some blood is spilled".  I HAVE to remember that my 18 yr old mind is writing checks my (almost) 50 yr old body can't cash anymore. 

Finally got back to the gym yesterday.  30 min treadmill and 1000 meters in the pool.  Rollers in the man-cave tonight (after wrestling and soccer practice).  Hope everyone is well!

2012-01-26 12:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
I'm having an exceptional day so far. Elliptical this morning and swim at lunch. If only I could get a run or ride in tonight but I have a feeling I'm going to end up cross training with the vacuum instead

I'm with Jeff on the MTB mantra, it's never a good ride unless blood is spilled, however I've found that this doesn't pertain to road biking so much... My most graceful moment, I was on single-track with my bike, nice flat piece after bombing hills and jumping logs and such, I must have hit a root though I never did figure out what it really was, next thing I know I'm sailing through the air landing face first in a patch of poison ivy! my bike mate laughed all the way home. Running, I was with my friend who was pushing his kid, he asks me to run ahead and look in to see what the DS is doing, I do, as I turn my head to look I bounce off a road sign stuck into the pavement, other than my running mate I'm not sure how many other people saw me, I'm just glad I didn't hit my head because I hit hard enough my HRM left a mark.

I just ordered a new seat and clip ons from the classifieds here at BT, can't wait to try them out...
2012-01-26 12:10 PM

St. Louis

Haven't checked in in a while but I still follow the Goonies!

Treadmill at work today. First exercise I've done in four days. It was sick boy number one, then sick boy number two, then sick daddy. And Drama at work with a captial D. Only did 26 minutes of running but mind and body needed every one. Going to Y tonight for some moderate weights and an hour on the ex. bike....I better make it! 

2012-01-26 6:09 PM
in reply to: #4012452

User image

great job fitting it in with sick kids and D-rama!  26 minutes to yourself was probably priceless

2012-01-26 6:29 PM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Progress not perfection - I was going super strong this week and then bam, off track.  So I got to SLC on Tuesday worked out first thing in the AM, pack my lunch and then even got in a easy spin at the gym near my hotel that night.  Day 1 while traveling in the bag and was got work out in and ate what i planned.  Couldn't sleep - frequent problem for me in a hotel.  Next day packed some food in a soft cooler so I could have some quick meals while I was out seeing dealers (work in the auto industry) and had my gym packed to swim then hit a 6PM spin class that night.  Well before I knew it I was going to just barely make the spin class alone and skip the swim.  I then took the wrong turn to the gym and didn't realize it until it was too late and I was going to miss the class all together. I said heck with it and I'm hungry.  So, no workout and went to CPK had had a pizza, man what the heck!!!  Well chalk it up to not executing the plan and giving in to yummy pizza  Oh yeah and I had a beer too >,< 

Today was fairly good in terms of nutrition and just got home.  I going to jump on the spin bike shortly for a good hour and a half.  Back on track and making progress.  Going to hit the gym in the morning for a swim and run.

Sorry for the long rambling post!  It's good to be back home.   

2012-01-26 6:41 PM
in reply to: #4012147

User image

[QUOTE "It's not a mtn bike ride unless some blood is spilled".

now this rocks. I'm just learning to mtb, but has a friend who is die hard and we're going to a women's mtb camp in indiana this June - I'm gonna keep this mantra in my arsenal :Cool

2012-01-26 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4011411

Fairfax, VA
iron_penguin - 2012-01-25 10:36 PM

No Mayo - 2012-01-25 9:17 PM Thanks to whoever posted about ruthkazez.com! Lots of great info here as I'm trying to figure out how to go longer. I think the pool is my biggest challenge, yet my best friend right now. I'm getting impatient with getting back up to my old running speed. But since I'm nursing an injured hip, I can't really push myself without immediate consequences. The pool, however, is a totally different story! Really excited to have a game plan to follow.

I posted it - I swear it works.  hubby started in December with a few lengths here and thereand finally got up to about 20 minutes in the pool , and started the official 0TO1650 plan last week with 700 yards each session.  Yesterday he did the first 900 yard session, the first segment was 200 yards - the longest he had done without taking a break. He was way nervous, but after our swim session he said, 'you know, that wasn't too bad.  because the way it's set up (you do a long set to start out your workout) I have more and more confidence.'   I can teach him all the drills, etc., but he has to get confidence all on his own.

Yeah, I was super excited when I saw the 0TO1650... I thought, is this for real? I can do this?? Hearing the progress your husband has made is inspiring too - I can't wait 'til my swim tomorrow.
2012-01-26 8:36 PM

Fairfax, VA
Clutz or Graceful?

I've got a 0 mph accident story too. New pedals... too excited to really try them out a few times before hitting the bike trail. A few miles out, we get to a stop sign where several other cyclists and runners were already waiting to cross. Yes, my pedals were dialed way too tight. I was trying to clip out all the way down, which translated to me wiggling over the bike all the way to the ground while everybody watched.

Everyone was nice enough and asked if I was ok while my boyfriend pretended he wasn't with me.

About a week later, I noticed that the had put some huge "sale! $29.99" price tag on the front of my helmet.

2012-01-26 9:28 PM

User image

Regular
NWA

Doubt I'd ever call myself graceful...pretty sure no one else would either.  I've got the scars to prove it too.  I've always been lucky and never had any serious injury from a fall.  My worst fall was while training for the St. Jude HM in Memphis.  Doing a bit of hill training (and there aren't too many hills in Memphis) by running up and down a bridge that links downtown Memphis to "mud island".  Its a nice bridge to run - the only traffic is those who live on the island - plenty of room to run on the sidewalk.  Anyway - I was just about to crest the 'hill' when some starts honking repeatedly - and I thought, well if they're honking like that they must know me (and let's just be clear, I had about 15 friends living on the island at that time), so in the .5 seconds it took to look up, attempt to figure out who was driving the white honda accord and wave back - I tripped over some uneven concrete just as I took that first major stride downhill...well I went flying face first-ipod jolted from the 'secured pocket' - skidding across the pavement and breaking apart, ripping my running tights which led to the embedding of gravelly pebbles in the knee cap, slicing my left palm on road side debris...and it hurt - but I was so embarrassed that I quickly ran to gather the pieces of my ipod and ran home as quickly as I could.  To this day, I have no idea who was in the car...but I know they must have had a helluva laugh.  I still have the running tights and when I wear them it reminds me to pay attention to the road in front of me!

I, too had a zero bike "dismount"...during my first Tri last October.  You can go to slowly up a hill...when you do...you fall over into the ditch...but not before getting road rash on our back and gravel down your tri shorts.

Been a good training week for me...but taking showers, washing and drying my hair 3x's a day is really starting to take its toll.  I feel so wasteful.  Can someone please tell me at what point will I own enough exercise socks?  I am going through two/three pair a day!  I can't keep up on the laundry!  Cry

I just finished the swim program I started Dec. 15th.  I will check out the ruthkazez page...sounds like thats where I need to head!

Happy Friday Eve!

Tambo

2012-01-26 10:27 PM

Middle Tennessee

I am very accident prone.  And I am covered in the mystery bruises to prove it.  I may have the best 0 mph fall.  I managed to fall off my bike trainer.  I was trying to climb on and I somehow got a cleat stuck in the peddle, but not clipped in.  I lost my balance and fell over- onto the ceramic floor, and my laptop.  Luckily only broke the + key on the the laptop, and I can still use it, there is just no key there.  My children thought this was very funny.  

A cold has been making it's way around our house.  The 5 year old got it, then gave it to my husband.  I was trying to ward it off by thinking positive thoughts, and downing air borne and zicam every 3 hours.  It didn't work. Frown  I was supposed to bike after my run, but I was feeling really run down.  Wasn't sure if it was evil germs or just the after effects of a really hard workout.  I skipped the bike, and took a nap.  I woke up with my lungs burning.  So it's not even a head cold that I can train easy through.   I am going to keep up with the zicam and air borne, and hopefully I won't be out too long.  I really dislike skipping workouts because it kills my motivation.  Instead of "I haven't worked out in 3 days, let's get to this" , I become " meh, what's one more day"

2012-01-27 7:47 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Well, I have to say - I've never fallen out of my trainer. That's a good one (and sorry for your laptop!).

Hope everyone has a good weekend! It's supposed to be reasonable here, which will make for a much nicer long run on Sunday. (Today is in the 60s but rainy - I only need 3 today, so I may go out in the rain for something different.)
2012-01-27 3:40 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

*BUMP*  

GOONIES, RISE UP!!

Slooowww day at work.  Tonight, I'm going back to the HIIT class that almost killed me last week. 

EPIC mtn bike ride planned for Sunday. Sat. is still a mystery but weather is suppossed to be good. 

Is it HAPPY HOUR yet???

2012-01-27 4:02 PM
in reply to: #4015035

Middle Tennessee
jeffnboise - 2012-01-27 3:40 PM

Is it HAPPY HOUR yet???

I'm ready for a drink - I now have a fever.  Germs are evil.

2012-01-27 4:18 PM
in reply to: #4015075

User image

KatNWater - 2012-01-27 4:02 PM
jeffnboise - 2012-01-27 3:40 PM

Is it HAPPY HOUR yet???

I'm ready for a drink - I now have a fever.  Germs are evil.

no fever in illinois - one bad inflamed sinus and a gazillion sneezes.  I'm not a patient patient!!!!!!  this bites!

2012-01-27 6:40 PM

Middle Tennessee

ok, since I can't train, let's talk gear. I have none, and that is almost literal.  Please give suggestions for the bare bones needed for a HIM. 

Swimming:

I have:

Good goggles

pool suit

Need?

Wet suit - maybe? looking for sales or possibly rent one.  Water temp is predicted to be between 75- 78

Bike:

Have an off brand, drop shipped from China, carbon road bike with clip on aero bars.

Clipless pedals & shoes

1 pair of tri shorts with light padding

1 cage

a really old helmet

new saddle!!

Need:

new helmet - my is 10 years old, and if they are anything like car seats, it is expired.

gear bag, extra tube, co2 cartridge (I have nothing to repair the bike with. If something happens on a ride, I call for a pickup)

more hydration storage

nutrition storage?

probably lots of other things I don't even know about

Run:

Good pair of shoes

compression socks ( required for runs over 10 miles due to Achilles issues per my Sports Dr.)

wal mart sunglasses

mish mash of clearanced running clothing.

need:

I think I am good??

So, I am going to have to sell my first born?  I would rather sell my second born - he is more much more difficult, hmmm, but he is the one more likely to start running with me.  Let's try to get tri gear without selling anyone Wink

2012-01-27 7:29 PM
in reply to: #4015245

User image

KatNWater - 2012-01-27 6:40 PM

ok, since I can't train, let's talk gear. I have none, and that is almost literal.  Please give suggestions for the bare bones needed for a HIM. 

Swimming:

I have:

Good goggles

pool suit

Need?

Wet suit - maybe? looking for sales or possibly rent one.  Water temp is predicted to be between 75- 78

Bike:

Have an off brand, drop shipped from China, carbon road bike with clip on aero bars.

Clipless pedals & shoes

1 pair of tri shorts with light padding

1 cage

a really old helmet

new saddle!!

Need:

new helmet - my is 10 years old, and if they are anything like car seats, it is expired.

gear bag, extra tube, co2 cartridge (I have nothing to repair the bike with. If something happens on a ride, I call for a pickup)

more hydration storage

nutrition storage?

probably lots of other things I don't even know about

Run:

Good pair of shoes

compression socks ( required for runs over 10 miles due to Achilles issues per my Sports Dr.)

wal mart sunglasses

mish mash of clearanced running clothing.

need:

I think I am good??

So, I am going to have to sell my first born?  I would rather sell my second born - he is more much more difficult, hmmm, but he is the one more likely to start running with me.  Let's try to get tri gear without selling anyone Wink

This is so totally me last year

goggles - if you really love the goggles you have - get a second pair.  nothing worse than losing your goggles and having to use a pair you're not familar with.  I have a pair of clear and the same model in smoke lens for bright sunshine.

pool suits - anything works!

shampoo to get the chlorine out, lots of conditioner, lots of skin lotion

Wet suit - I raced in Lake Michigan and Lake Carlyle last year - both temps were mid 60's - a long sleeve wetsuit was in order.  I looked for deals and bought a low end one. sometimes you can rent them from the event vendors or borrow one, but it is really important to try an open water swim wearing one to see hwo it feels (I'm a strong swimmer and this really makes you swim faster!).  You do swim differently in one. I just bought my husband's full suit for $79 from one of those daily deals Gear Buzz kinda things.  if I ever see deals, I'll post.  I don't think you have to spend a lot of money on a wetsuit.  warmer water temps you can wear a wetsuit to give you more confidence and buoyancy in the water - it's completely up to you.  Last September I did a sprint in chilly water, but decided to brave without a wetsuit.  I didn't have to struggle out of my wetsuit in transition.

Bike - as long as you are comfortable putting in the miles, brand of bike, etc. doesn't matter.  Your LBS can recommend a good helmet.  Gloves for sure while training, but I don't wear them to race.  I have two gear bags.  One on the back of the seat with basics for changing a tube (co2 cartridge pump combo thing, tire levers, a tube, a multipurpose tool (has allen wrench kinda things in it).  I have one on my top tube that I use to put my phone and clif bars and a hankie it.  I would see if your LBS does a basic bike maintenance class so you learn to change your tubes - it's a non intimidating way to learn what to do if something happens in a race.  You will feel much more prepared and sure of yourself if you can change your own tube.  Highly recommend it.   I ordered both my bags from bikenashbar or something - they aren't expensive.

Because I hate reaching down for my water bottle and I have a small bike so I only have one bottle cage, I splurged on an aeromount water bottle system.  Profile design - nothing fancy, but it makes me drink more. 

I  have a complete mismatch of clearance biking and running apparel and socks, bought my bike shoes at a great discount. but my first year, I didn't have clips, so used tennis shoes.  Body glide is a must for me, I wear walmart sunglasses, too, but found a pair of polarized photochromatic sunglasses at bikenashbar for $30.   I don't have compression socks, but I do get leg cramps, might need to investigate.

I usually wear a bondi band under my helmet to help with sweat, then pull on my running hat for the run.

I bought my first trisuit last summer. It's a preference one piece or two because of the whole how do I go to the bathroom thing.

I think overall, you accumulate a bunch of different things -you just gotta decide what you want for comfort vs. looks You're out there for a long time and it's hot!  It's expensive, but now this year, I find I don't have a lot I have to buy and I'm kinda excited about that. 

Flip flops for after the race and a great little athletic skirt to pull on over the bike shorts.

So what race?  where?  you gotta be stoked.  Nothing like the finish line of the HIM.  I cried

2012-01-27 7:57 PM
in reply to: #4015301

Middle Tennessee
iron_penguin - 2012-01-27 7:29 PM

So what race?  where?  you gotta be stoked.  Nothing like the finish line of the HIM.  I cried

Gulf Coast Tri - Panama City Beach.  All of the course is part of IMFL, which for some reason has me even more excited.  PLUS it is at the beach, and I will have 1 1/2 days of unscheduled beach time after the race.  PLUS the kidlettes are staying with my mother, and hubby is coming with me - we haven't had a night without our kids in 4 years.  

It's pretty much all I think about these days... hehehe.

I have a 1 piece trisuit, but it is too big (YAY!)  After an Oly in it, I want a 2 piece. 

I am torn on the wetsuit.  I am a confident, comfortable, fast swimmer, who grew up swimming in a lake all summer, so even open water is a non-issue for me.  And 75 is warm, but I know that it will make my swim even easier with a suit.  I think that if I find one for under $100 then I will get it.

I am just over my head bike related.  The more I read, the less I feel like I know.  There are 2 LBS in my town.  One is very popular, and everyone seems to love them.  Every time I have been in there, I have left saying "I will never come back"  They are just really elitist, and not very beginner friendly.  The other LBS, which I love,  is closed from Jan - March.  So I am torn on what to do. Maybe if I keep reading, I will start to understand lingo, bike parts, things I need, things I want.  My husband laughs at me when I say that I don't know how to ride my bike.  But I feel like there is so much I don't know.

Love running skirts, I have my eye on this one http://www.skirtsports.com/shop/product.cfm/id/3013-Race-Belt-Skirt

I know that if I am patient, it will come up on 6pm or another sale of the day type place.

Comfort>fashion, but I am a penny pincher so it will have to be on sale too!

2012-01-27 8:50 PM
in reply to: #4015340

Middle Tennessee

Love running skirts, I have my eye on this one http://www.skirtsports.com/shop/product.cfm/id/3013-Race-Belt-Skirt

I know that if I am patient, it will come up on 6pm or another sale of the day type place.

And SCORE!!  6pm did have it for $14.99 - it's on it's way!

And it's pink.  Now that I am a size 6 instead of a size 16, I am getting girlier everyday.  So I have a new found love for pink and ruffles and looking cute.  This is a whole new world for me.  And I am really embracing it.

2012-01-27 9:02 PM
in reply to: #4013455

Middle Tennessee
Tambo1221 - 2012-01-26 9:28 PM

Can someone please tell me at what point will I own enough exercise socks?  I am going through two/three pair a day!  I can't keep up on the laundry!  

Never - because even if you owned 30 pair of sock, without fail, the dryer will eat 15 of them...

2012-01-27 9:51 PM
in reply to: #4015301

Middle Tennessee

I usually wear a bondi band under my helmet to help with sweat, then pull on my running hat for the run.

ya'll are going to get so tired of sick me stuck on the couch with nothing to do but web browse.

As I mentioned before, I am a penny pincher.  I had a ton of too large workout clothes and swim suits, so I made my own bondi bands.  I am NOT an accomplished seamstress, but I do have a simple sewing machine, and I found these really easy to make.  

Just in case you are curious, here is the how to:  http://runaroundaroo.wordpress.com/2011/03/13/wannabe-bondi-bands/

2012-01-28 5:52 AM
in reply to: #4015467

User image

Congrats on skirt! I have a project um doing tomorrow, but top secret I will share when done. I have Bime Maintenance for Dummies book and it has good info. Performancebike .com has videos on bike stuff too. You'll get it. Bike was my big fear, now it's a lot better. What is 6pm??? I am running this am. Runners World says anything (symptomwise) above the neck, go run. Here goes nothing!
2012-01-28 8:05 AM
in reply to: #4013225

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
iron_penguin - 2012-01-26 7:41 PM

now this rocks. I'm just learning to mtb, but has a friend who is die hard and we're going to a women's mtb camp in indiana this June - I'm gonna keep this mantra in my arsenal :Cool

Women's MTB camp?  I wanna know more!  When and where and who's running it?

I'm making the foray into Xterra this year.  I don't have a bike yet.  I'm hoping to learn to ride one at least a little bit before my first race.  My husband is already concerned for my wellbeing. :P

2012-01-28 8:07 AM
in reply to: #4013405

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

No Mayo - 2012-01-26 9:36 PM Everyone was nice enough and asked if I was ok while my boyfriend pretended he wasn't with me. About a week later, I noticed that the had put some huge "sale! $29.99" price tag on the front of my helmet.

I love it!  You know it's true love when they mock you first and then ask if you're OK second.

2012-01-28 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4013455

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Tambo1221 - 2012-01-26 10:28 PM

Been a good training week for me...but taking showers, washing and drying my hair 3x's a day is really starting to take its toll.  I feel so wasteful.  Can someone please tell me at what point will I own enough exercise socks?  I am going through two/three pair a day!  I can't keep up on the laundry!  Cry

Tip for keeping the hair healthy when taking multiple showers - baby shampoo.  It's not as chemically harsh as other shampoos.  You can also just skip the shampoo altogether.  Water will take care of most of the sweat and grime all by itself.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  

of 23