BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 80

2012-05-21 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4212573

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod

Race Goal Met!!  And more, even :-).  Will wait for official results prior to posting race report but for now:  Was able to swim free for the entire 740m.  Not comfortably, my SO thought I was going to vomit when I got out of the pool (so did I!), but I did it.  Bike was tough, it was 4 laps, the out was mostly uphill and headwind, back was obviously the opposite, but I am not at a point where I can make up the time.  Run was good, a bunch of uphill as well, but last 1.5km was downhill which was nice!  Unfortunately, it POURED rain on us.  But even that was good for experience--I was never uncomfortable on my bike, despite my fears of wet roads.  I LOVE THIS SPORT!!

PS to Salty, thanks for the recommendations.  I'll see how I feel for the race on Saturday, but I suspect I will be racing :-)

2012-05-21 4:35 PM
in reply to: #4221434

User image

Seattle
bcraht - 2012-05-21 4:29 PM

Race Goal Met!!  And more, even :-).  Will wait for official results prior to posting race report but for now:  Was able to swim free for the entire 740m.  Not comfortably, my SO thought I was going to vomit when I got out of the pool (so did I!), but I did it.  Bike was tough, it was 4 laps, the out was mostly uphill and headwind, back was obviously the opposite, but I am not at a point where I can make up the time.  Run was good, a bunch of uphill as well, but last 1.5km was downhill which was nice!  Unfortunately, it POURED rain on us.  But even that was good for experience--I was never uncomfortable on my bike, despite my fears of wet roads.  I LOVE THIS SPORT!!

PS to Salty, thanks for the recommendations.  I'll see how I feel for the race on Saturday, but I suspect I will be racing :-)

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay nice work! 

See, you said you were a competitive person so...yeah good luck not racing next Saturday! Wink 

When in June was your half-mary again? I don't take back anything I said in terms of  tri race substituting for some running but I do think you should make up a game plan to get enough run volume in to meet your expectations in for the HM. Make sense?

Edited by Asalzwed 2012-05-21 4:35 PM
2012-05-21 4:45 PM
in reply to: #4221443

User image

Master
Asalzwed - 2012-05-21 2:35 PM

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay nice work! 

See, you said you were a competitive person so...yeah good luck not racing next Saturday! Wink 

When in June was your half-mary again? I don't take back anything I said in terms of  tri race substituting for some running but I do think you should make up a game plan to get enough run volume in to meet your expectations in for the HM. Make sense?

You bet.  The race is June 17th.  I actually started ramping up my run a few weeks back, and was up to 14km for my long run last Sunday (30km for the week).  I will likely NOT be racing the half--I'll give it a good go, but not all out.  It will be more about raising money for the charity.

2012-05-21 5:52 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
bcraht - 2012-05-21 5:29 PM

Great news!  Excellent job!  Laughing

2012-05-21 6:44 PM

User image

Elite

Woohoo!  I should set race goals for my HIM - (to finish is the obvious one!)  Well done - I find riding on race day not such an issue, no cars no red lights etc.

2012-05-21 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4221147

User image

Master
jobaxas - 2012-05-21 12:55 PM

I caught a cold Frown but better this week than next I believe - still dragged myself to the pool figured I could wash the sinuses out better - swim squad report below...(sorry Yanti he's loving this hypoxic stuff!)

FINS
200M FREE
200M BACK
200M BREAST

16X25M FISTS (couldn't have done that a year ago!)

NO FINS
100M FREE
100M PULL BUOY BREATHE EVERY 4
100M FREE
100M PULL BUOY BREATHE EVERY 5
100M FREE
100M PULL BUOY BREATHE EVERY 6
100M FREE
100M PULL BUOY BREATHE EVERY 7
100M FREE
100M PULL BUOY BREATHE EVERY 8 (VERY TOUGH)

8X75M (25M KICKBOARD, 50M FREE)

100M LEFT ARM
100M RIGHT ARM

200M COOLDOWN

PHEW THAT'S 3KM MY MANATEE FRIENDS - wonder if in my HIM I can break it down into drill sets makes the time pass very quickly and keeps it interesting!

Oh sorry about the cold, Jo.  Vitamin C and eat well.  Kick it's butt out ASAP!!

2012-05-21 8:20 PM

User image

Master
Soooooo, just realized the race on Saturday is 500m swim, 10km bike, 4 km run.  Looks like I'll be racing...heh heh.
2012-05-21 9:39 PM
in reply to: #4221781

User image

Elite
bcraht - 2012-05-21 8:19 PM
jobaxas - 2012-05-21 12:55 PM

I caught a cold Frown but better this week than next I believe - still dragged myself to the pool figured I could wash the sinuses out better - swim squad report below...(sorry Yanti he's loving this hypoxic stuff!)

FINS
200M FREE
200M BACK
200M BREAST

16X25M FISTS (couldn't have done that a year ago!)

NO FINS
100M FREE
100M PULL BUOY BREATHE EVERY 4
100M FREE
100M PULL BUOY BREATHE EVERY 5
100M FREE
100M PULL BUOY BREATHE EVERY 6
100M FREE
100M PULL BUOY BREATHE EVERY 7
100M FREE
100M PULL BUOY BREATHE EVERY 8 (VERY TOUGH)

8X75M (25M KICKBOARD, 50M FREE)

100M LEFT ARM
100M RIGHT ARM

200M COOLDOWN

PHEW THAT'S 3KM MY MANATEE FRIENDS - wonder if in my HIM I can break it down into drill sets makes the time pass very quickly and keeps it interesting!

Oh sorry about the cold, Jo.  Vitamin C and eat well.  Kick it's butt out ASAP!!

Going the echinacea, the vit c and the drugs, hit the alcohol tonight kills everything!  And eating lots and plenty!

2012-05-21 11:47 PM
in reply to: #4221783

User image

Master
Central Kansas

bcraht - 2012-05-21 8:20 PM Soooooo, just realized the race on Saturday is 500m swim, 10km bike, 4 km run.  Looks like I'll be racing...heh heh.

Hooray! Sounds fun.

Looking forward to your report from your most recent race.

2012-05-22 2:26 AM
in reply to: #4219895

User image

England
amd723 - 2012-05-21 12:39 PM
ukweeble - 2012-05-21 2:17 AM

Serious question for y'aalll. I have found a rather tempting olympic distance Tri that is run on 12th Aug.

My original goal was to do a tri at this distance as i didn't even know that sprints existed. It still remains a goal.

So do you think that i can prepare for it in only 11 weeks, especially considering my current base fitness is not too good. My typical training is just run 5 km, bike 16km and swim 500m (not all necessarily in the same week!!!). I would have to jump to 10km run, 42 km bike and 1500m OWS, all in the same day. Yikes.

My only concern for you is the swim as it doesn't look like you've actually been doing any!  If you want to do this race, I think you need to make sure you are comfortable with the swim distance.  So get in the pool   And then log it in the May challenge   https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An7ZkKfHG1L1dDlZSkhxOWxWbHBjRTFtYjI0U0lNMmc#gid=0

I thought i had got away with no one noticing

Edited by ukweeble 2012-05-22 2:28 AM
2012-05-22 3:06 AM
in reply to: #4220713

User image

England
melbo55 - 2012-05-21 6:17 PM

Yikes, not checking in over the weekend makes for lots of catching up and missed action!

First off: Jo, I wish all the best for you and your family's safety.  How scary, and I will never understand how people can treat each other, especially ones they 'love' so very badly.

All weekend racing manatees: Big congrats to all the PRs and strong finishes!!

Allen: sorry about the Herman's Hermits association.  It was more the song than the group.  From now on I will only associate you with some of the groups you mentioned like Nirvana or Foo Fighters!

Kirsten: you are definitely able to pull off the shaved look, wow!  And for such a great cause.

Yanti: hope your mom, you and your sister are all doing OK.

My race Sat. was full of mixed emotions.  Overall I did set a new PR by 4 minutes for this course (3rd year doing same race) but I didn't make my swim or bike goals.  Or running, for that matter.  Race day (without any actual numerical reasons, just feelings) I thought I made my swim and bike time goals and was really happy and stoked.  I knew the run wasn't going to be anything special since I haven't been running since March because of healing my Achilles plus I really suck at running even when I am not injured.  But when I looked at the results today I saw the truth, that I didn't make my goals and didn't improve as much as I thought.  Very disappointing.  I did improve my transition times...  But the cool thing is my fast friends all won some sort of award or awards, in some cases. 

All in all it was a good day because the weather was beautiful, the people were great, money was raised for an awesome, worthy cause, and I had the physical ability to participate and have fun.  I don't take my health for granted, ever.  Every day I am thankful that I can do what I can do, every race I am thankful to be able to participate.  I may not be as fast as my friends, or even as fast as I want to be, but I can do it.

You shouldn't beat yourself up about improving your PR by four minutes!!! Not every race can be run how we see it in our minds eye due to loads of different things. Keep the feelings about the beautiful weather, great people and the money that was raised and will help change someone's life, throw out the dissapointment and know that next year, you'll rip it up for sure.

2012-05-22 5:09 AM

User image

Elite

Okay had this cold for a good 24 hours, surely that's enough.  Hope this is the worst of it and that by Thursday I'll be right!

So no training today some days I listen to my silly body.  Maybe tomorrow night i'll do a little trainer set.  Then by Thursday I want to be ready for a swim!  I hate missing squad, hate hate hate it!

Still my race is 12 days away, long enough to be heaps better and well rested - gotta love an enforced taper!

2012-05-22 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4222081

User image

Coastal Carolina
ukweeble - 2012-05-22 4:06 AM
melbo55 - 2012-05-21 6:17 PM

Yikes, not checking in over the weekend makes for lots of catching up and missed action!

First off: Jo, I wish all the best for you and your family's safety.  How scary, and I will never understand how people can treat each other, especially ones they 'love' so very badly.

All weekend racing manatees: Big congrats to all the PRs and strong finishes!!

Allen: sorry about the Herman's Hermits association.  It was more the song than the group.  From now on I will only associate you with some of the groups you mentioned like Nirvana or Foo Fighters!

Kirsten: you are definitely able to pull off the shaved look, wow!  And for such a great cause.

Yanti: hope your mom, you and your sister are all doing OK.

My race Sat. was full of mixed emotions.  Overall I did set a new PR by 4 minutes for this course (3rd year doing same race) but I didn't make my swim or bike goals.  Or running, for that matter.  Race day (without any actual numerical reasons, just feelings) I thought I made my swim and bike time goals and was really happy and stoked.  I knew the run wasn't going to be anything special since I haven't been running since March because of healing my Achilles plus I really suck at running even when I am not injured.  But when I looked at the results today I saw the truth, that I didn't make my goals and didn't improve as much as I thought.  Very disappointing.  I did improve my transition times...  But the cool thing is my fast friends all won some sort of award or awards, in some cases. 

All in all it was a good day because the weather was beautiful, the people were great, money was raised for an awesome, worthy cause, and I had the physical ability to participate and have fun.  I don't take my health for granted, ever.  Every day I am thankful that I can do what I can do, every race I am thankful to be able to participate.  I may not be as fast as my friends, or even as fast as I want to be, but I can do it.

You shouldn't beat yourself up about improving your PR by four minutes!!! Not every race can be run how we see it in our minds eye due to loads of different things. Keep the feelings about the beautiful weather, great people and the money that was raised and will help change someone's life, throw out the dissapointment and know that next year, you'll rip it up for sure.

Oh Boy I agree with Allen...  A PR is still a great race think about it this way though, you still have a goal to reach for!

Great Race and congrats on the PR!!

2012-05-22 9:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have any injury question for my Pod:  I've been experiencing weird twinging pain in my left butt cheek that radiates down my left leg, sometimes in my hamstring and my quad.  I can also feel some twinging in my left hip area.  I noticed it went away when I didn't ride my bike for 2 weeks, and when I rode Saturday for an hour it flared up again.  It was so bad that it woke me up Saturday night numerous times; not so much strong PAIN, but it was VERY uncomfortable, just lying flat. It feels ok today.  It also bothered me after my ride during the triathlon, and it carried over into the run, just discomfort in my left butt/side of left leg.  I've done some research, and it does sound like sciatica or piriformis syndrome.  Any thoughts on what about biking could be causing this?  Perhaps my saddle is too rigid?  I didn't have any problems when I was riding a loaner bike (with a hefty gel pad) for computraining over the winter; it only started once I got my own bike with the stock saddle.  My bike has been fit for me, but could it be the saddle? It is the angle/poisition of riding that may be causing something to irritate my sciatic nerve and/or piriformis? Any other thoughts? Thanks!!
2012-05-22 10:00 AM

User image

England
bcraht - 2012-05-21 10:29 PM

yeah for Kirsten. Sounds a tough one but you cracked it.Smile

2012-05-22 10:56 AM

User image

Melon Presser
bcraht - 2012-05-22 4:29 AM

Wow, crazy weather, tough conditions, but you ROCKED it ... especially swimming the whole free through!

CONGRATULATIONS KIRSTEN!

2012-05-22 11:07 AM
in reply to: #4222512

User image

Master
Central Kansas

ArielLIlB - 2012-05-22 9:37 AM I have any injury question for my Pod:  I've been experiencing weird twinging pain in my left butt cheek that radiates down my left leg, sometimes in my hamstring and my quad.  I can also feel some twinging in my left hip area.  I noticed it went away when I didn't ride my bike for 2 weeks, and when I rode Saturday for an hour it flared up again.  It was so bad that it woke me up Saturday night numerous times; not so much strong PAIN, but it was VERY uncomfortable, just lying flat. It feels ok today.  It also bothered me after my ride during the triathlon, and it carried over into the run, just discomfort in my left butt/side of left leg.  I've done some research, and it does sound like sciatica or piriformis syndrome.  Any thoughts on what about biking could be causing this?  Perhaps my saddle is too rigid?  I didn't have any problems when I was riding a loaner bike (with a hefty gel pad) for computraining over the winter; it only started once I got my own bike with the stock saddle.  My bike has been fit for me, but could it be the saddle? It is the angle/poisition of riding that may be causing something to irritate my sciatic nerve and/or piriformis? Any other thoughts? Thanks!!

In my totally non-medical opinion, I agree with your diagnosis. I had sciatica a little when I was pregnant, and I'm fairly certain it was a pinched nerve.

Maybe you could play with the position of the saddle a little (up, down, back, forward, etc), or make sure your sit bones are where they are supposed to be on the saddle. I notice that I slide around a little sometimes, especially when I'm getting tired, and I have to remember to reposition myself on the saddle so that my sit bones are where they should be.

2012-05-22 11:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Back to it today! First a hike out at the Beautiful Cache Creek preserve (or so I've been told--never been there!), then later on its a 1700m swim. Time to start working on my speed...

But first, off to look at birds, frogs, and whatever else I can find...hopefully I'll get some good pics!

2012-05-22 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4222109

User image

Master
Central Kansas
jobaxas - 2012-05-22 5:09 AM

Okay had this cold for a good 24 hours, surely that's enough.  Hope this is the worst of it and that by Thursday I'll be right!

So no training today some days I listen to my silly body.  Maybe tomorrow night i'll do a little trainer set.  Then by Thursday I want to be ready for a swim!  I hate missing squad, hate hate hate it!

Still my race is 12 days away, long enough to be heaps better and well rested - gotta love an enforced taper!

Rest day/taper -- good. Cold -- bad. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

2012-05-22 12:12 PM
in reply to: #4222512

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

ArielLIlB - 2012-05-22 10:37 AM I have any injury question for my Pod:  I've been experiencing weird twinging pain in my left butt cheek that radiates down my left leg, sometimes in my hamstring and my quad.  I can also feel some twinging in my left hip area.  I noticed it went away when I didn't ride my bike for 2 weeks, and when I rode Saturday for an hour it flared up again.  It was so bad that it woke me up Saturday night numerous times; not so much strong PAIN, but it was VERY uncomfortable, just lying flat. It feels ok today.  It also bothered me after my ride during the triathlon, and it carried over into the run, just discomfort in my left butt/side of left leg.  I've done some research, and it does sound like sciatica or piriformis syndrome.  Any thoughts on what about biking could be causing this? 

Yes to all of these thoughts.  I have had sciatica caused by piriformis syndrome and at the time I was a single sport athlete so it was definitely cycling causing the problem.  Physical therapy, including lots of core work, resolved the problem.  I do not believe that it was a bike fit issue in my case since the problem did not return for a long time and the bike was the same.   More than likely it was a Janyne over did it problem since it was about a week after my first Bike MS.  Perhaps I did not prepare as well as I should have?  Also, in my case it pulled S1/L5 out of whack in my back so I may be a bit predisposed?

2012-05-22 1:24 PM
in reply to: #4222942

User image

Melon Presser
jmkizer - 2012-05-23 12:12 AM

ArielLIlB - 2012-05-22 10:37 AM I have any injury question for my Pod:  I've been experiencing weird twinging pain in my left butt cheek that radiates down my left leg, sometimes in my hamstring and my quad.  I can also feel some twinging in my left hip area.  I noticed it went away when I didn't ride my bike for 2 weeks, and when I rode Saturday for an hour it flared up again.  It was so bad that it woke me up Saturday night numerous times; not so much strong PAIN, but it was VERY uncomfortable, just lying flat. It feels ok today.  It also bothered me after my ride during the triathlon, and it carried over into the run, just discomfort in my left butt/side of left leg.  I've done some research, and it does sound like sciatica or piriformis syndrome.  Any thoughts on what about biking could be causing this? 

Yes to all of these thoughts.  I have had sciatica caused by piriformis syndrome and at the time I was a single sport athlete so it was definitely cycling causing the problem.  Physical therapy, including lots of core work, resolved the problem.  I do not believe that it was a bike fit issue in my case since the problem did not return for a long time and the bike was the same.   More than likely it was a Janyne over did it problem since it was about a week after my first Bike MS.  Perhaps I did not prepare as well as I should have?  Also, in my case it pulled S1/L5 out of whack in my back so I may be a bit predisposed?

Yup yup yup.

You can look up piriformis stretches on Google or Youtube, as well as getting a hard foam roller and looking up how to roll out back/hip/butt/hamstrings. I'd try that first, and take it very easy with getting back into the cycling and with running for the moment. Frankly, not cycling for two weeks, and then riding for an hour could be it right there.

Also, when and with whom (where) was your bike fit done?

2012-05-22 2:22 PM

User image

Melon Presser

I really am turning into a real Manatee ...

Today while my mom was getting her IV meds and infusion at the ER, I had the uncontrollable urge to munch on lots of seaweed ... so I went out and got some and started munching away.

(04.seaweed (Small).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
04.seaweed (Small).jpg (56KB - 12 downloads)
2012-05-22 2:26 PM

User image

Master
2012-05-22 2:29 PM

User image

Seattle
The only thing yumm about that photo is the manatee. Seaweed yuuuck!
2012-05-22 2:33 PM
in reply to: #4223354

User image

Melon Presser

Asalzwed - 2012-05-23 2:29 AM The only thing yumm about that photo is the manatee. Seaweed yuuuck!

It is DELICIOUS and much healthier for you than potato crisps.

Indonesians are crazy about seaweed ... there's a kind that we put into sweet dessert-y drinks that looks like green tentacles reaching up out of your glass.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  

of 80