BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-05-08 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4733195

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed

enders_shadow - 2013-05-08 11:25 AM I posted this in the HIM mentor board too, but it doesn't hurt to get multiple opinions... Multitude of questions that occurred to me during my run this morning..... 1) I know what they will be serving at the aid stations during the run of my HIM. I assume I should practice eating some of the stuff on a long run to see how it works out - (water, HEED, ice, flat Coke, Chex mix, orange quarters, Hammer Gel, and E-Caps). I was planning on carrying my own drink (see next question) - so I figured I'd try out the chex mix and orange quarters - I prefer to go natural over chemical. Any benefit I'm not thinking of with respect to the Hammer Gel and E-caps? 2) I have had cramping issues in the past, so I did my last 2 half-marys with nuun (my electrolyte of choice) in my camelback. I'm planning on doing this during the HIM - I'm not out to set any speed records - any huge negatives for me throwing my camelback on in T2 for the run leg? For the half marys, I was able to use the camelback + the water at aid stations to hydrate fine. 3) KT Tape. I've had ITB issues in the past, but they seem to be in the past. However, when going for a run of > 1 hour, I generally tape up my knees as a precaution. I could a) wean myself off the KT tape or b) plan on wearing it for the race - I assume I put it on before the race...does it stay on in water as well as they claim or will it just be a hassle for me? 4) Calf sleeves - based on my cramping issues before, I usually run my half marys (and runs > 10 miles) with calf sleeves. What do you do about these in races (or is this something else I need to wean myself off of)? 5) Watches & wetsuits. I have a heck of a time getting my wetsuit on and off as it is - how do I deal with that and my watch (Garmin 305)? Sorry if any of these are silly, but I need something other than my lousy swim to occupy my panic zone.

1. I hate Hammer products.  They are poorly formulated, yet have a very religious following.  They are low in sodium and have only one sugar source.  There are a multitude of studies out there showing that you can absorb infinitely more carbs (energy) from dual carb source products.  As far as natural products I'm anti during exercise, and pro for every other aspect of life.  There is no need to add in digestion to the equation on race day when gels and other products are designed to be absorbed through the stomach wall and instantly metabolized into energy.  I am always pro using what's on course.  For IM branded races that's Perform, Gu brand products and Bonk Breakers.

2.  Again there is a formulation issue with NUUN.  It uses sorbitol as it's sweetener of choice which can have a laxative effect.  If you stomach it fine ok, but I don't like running the risk.  I'd look at something like Skratch that is about as natural as it comes and has calories which you're going to need.  Again here I'm anti camelback and would rather live off the course, but that's your call. 

3.  No personal experience with KT tape, but I know Jordan Rapp uses it on his shoulders and I would assume it goes on pre race.

4.  Calf sleeves are a no go in IM branded races unless it's wetsuit legal, or you can put them on after the swim which seems like a pain in the arse given you'll be wet.  Not sure how it will be done in local races.

5.  Yank hard.  IIRC the 305 isn't waterproof though so maybe just put it on in T1?

2013-05-08 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4733263

User image

Expert
uhcoog - 2013-05-08 12:55 PM

enders_shadow - 2013-05-08 11:25 AM I posted this in the HIM mentor board too, but it doesn't hurt to get multiple opinions... Multitude of questions that occurred to me during my run this morning..... 1) I know what they will be serving at the aid stations during the run of my HIM. I assume I should practice eating some of the stuff on a long run to see how it works out - (water, HEED, ice, flat Coke, Chex mix, orange quarters, Hammer Gel, and E-Caps). I was planning on carrying my own drink (see next question) - so I figured I'd try out the chex mix and orange quarters - I prefer to go natural over chemical. Any benefit I'm not thinking of with respect to the Hammer Gel and E-caps? 2) I have had cramping issues in the past, so I did my last 2 half-marys with nuun (my electrolyte of choice) in my camelback. I'm planning on doing this during the HIM - I'm not out to set any speed records - any huge negatives for me throwing my camelback on in T2 for the run leg? For the half marys, I was able to use the camelback + the water at aid stations to hydrate fine. 3) KT Tape. I've had ITB issues in the past, but they seem to be in the past. However, when going for a run of > 1 hour, I generally tape up my knees as a precaution. I could a) wean myself off the KT tape or b) plan on wearing it for the race - I assume I put it on before the race...does it stay on in water as well as they claim or will it just be a hassle for me? 4) Calf sleeves - based on my cramping issues before, I usually run my half marys (and runs > 10 miles) with calf sleeves. What do you do about these in races (or is this something else I need to wean myself off of)? 5) Watches & wetsuits. I have a heck of a time getting my wetsuit on and off as it is - how do I deal with that and my watch (Garmin 305)? Sorry if any of these are silly, but I need something other than my lousy swim to occupy my panic zone.

1. I hate Hammer products.  They are poorly formulated, yet have a very religious following.  They are low in sodium and have only one sugar source.  There are a multitude of studies out there showing that you can absorb infinitely more carbs (energy) from dual carb source products.  As far as natural products I'm anti during exercise, and pro for every other aspect of life.  There is no need to add in digestion to the equation on race day when gels and other products are designed to be absorbed through the stomach wall and instantly metabolized into energy.  I am always pro using what's on course.  For IM branded races that's Perform, Gu brand products and Bonk Breakers.

2.  Again there is a formulation issue with NUUN.  It uses sorbitol as it's sweetener of choice which can have a laxative effect.  If you stomach it fine ok, but I don't like running the risk.  I'd look at something like Skratch that is about as natural as it comes and has calories which you're going to need.  Again here I'm anti camelback and would rather live off the course, but that's your call. 

3.  No personal experience with KT tape, but I know Jordan Rapp uses it on his shoulders and I would assume it goes on pre race.

4.  Calf sleeves are a no go in IM branded races unless it's wetsuit legal, or you can put them on after the swim which seems like a pain in the arse given you'll be wet.  Not sure how it will be done in local races.

5.  Yank hard.  IIRC the 305 isn't waterproof though so maybe just put it on in T1?

1. I hate Hammer too and feel like they give me zero energy or hydration support. Plus they taste like crap. I've carried my own hydration at races with Hammer in a fuel belt with 2 10oz containers and an additional 16 oz water bottle that is disposable that I'll carry and ditch when empty. I additionally hate GU products and feel like they make me sick to my stomach. I prefer Honey Stinger and Ignite naturals which are made with figs. These choices probably aren't for everybody but my body responds to natural sugars much better. I get an energy boost out of these I don't from GU, Hammer, etc.

2. I like Nuun as I don't have stomach issues. I'll usually mix in some juice with it for the calories but I'll give Skratch a go.

3. I was running with ITBS straps for a bit when it was acting up.

http://www.footsmart.com/P-Protec-Iliotibial-Band-20021.aspx?SRCCODE=WMGOOGLE&cm_mmc=goog-_-PLA-_-WMGOOGLE-_-012813&kwid=productads-plaid^42477557167-sku^20021-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^22723458397

You can quickly put them on in T2. Literally 3-5 seconds each vs dealing with tape. I've done a ton of core work and I haven't run with them since last August so I'd recommend doing the preventative maintenance as a first option but if they're still bothering you I do recommend the straps.

4. Interestingly enough the only race I've ever had calf cramping I wore calf sleeves. Everybody is different but I think hydration would be a bigger reason to cramp or not and I wouldn't want to waste the time putting them on.

5. The 305 is not waterproof. I turn mine on in trasition and leave it on my aero-bars but I wear the HR strap under my tri-suit so I don't have to deal with putting that on in transition. Putting on the watch is a couple of seconds at best.

2013-05-08 12:28 PM
in reply to: #4733195

User image

Haymarket, VA

enders_shadow - 2013-05-08 12:25 PM 3) KT Tape. I've had ITB issues in the past, but they seem to be in the past. However, when going for a run of > 1 hour, I generally tape up my knees as a precaution. I could a) wean myself off the KT tape or b) plan on wearing it for the race - I assume I put it on before the race...does it stay on in water as well as they claim or will it just be a hassle for me?

I'm assuming you mean kinesiology tape.  I can tell you from personal experience, if it's put on right, it stays on for quite some time.  I had the same tape on my hand/wrist/forearm for 2 days straight and it was only pealing slightly at the edges by the end of the 2nd day.  The key is to put it on right though.

2013-05-08 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4733318

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

I posted this in the HIM mentor board too, but it doesn't hurt to get multiple opinions... Multitude of questions that occurred to me during my run this morning..... 1) I know what they will be serving at the aid stations during the run of my HIM. I assume I should practice eating some of the stuff on a long run to see how it works out - (water, HEED, ice, flat Coke, Chex mix, orange quarters, Hammer Gel, and E-Caps). I was planning on carrying my own drink (see next question) - so I figured I'd try out the chex mix and orange quarters - I prefer to go natural over chemical. Any benefit I'm not thinking of with respect to the Hammer Gel and E-caps? 2) I have had cramping issues in the past, so I did my last 2 half-marys with nuun (my electrolyte of choice) in my camelback. I'm planning on doing this during the HIM - I'm not out to set any speed records - any huge negatives for me throwing my camelback on in T2 for the run leg? For the half marys, I was able to use the camelback + the water at aid stations to hydrate fine. 3) KT Tape. I've had ITB issues in the past, but they seem to be in the past. However, when going for a run of > 1 hour, I generally tape up my knees as a precaution. I could a) wean myself off the KT tape or b) plan on wearing it for the race - I assume I put it on before the race...does it stay on in water as well as they claim or will it just be a hassle for me? 4) Calf sleeves - based on my cramping issues before, I usually run my half marys (and runs > 10 miles) with calf sleeves. What do you do about these in races (or is this something else I need to wean myself off of)? 5) Watches & wetsuits. I have a heck of a time getting my wetsuit on and off as it is - how do I deal with that and my watch (Garmin 305)? Sorry if any of these are silly, but I need something other than my lousy swim to occupy my panic zone.

Just to add a few things to what the Scotts said (see, now you're a package deal)

1.  I generally reccomend using whatever the race has on course UNLESS its Hammer.  If its Hammer, I advise to people to carry their own nutrition.  To echo the boys points Heed (the Hammer sports drink) has an incredibly low electrolyte profile, uses sorbitol and only one kind of sugar.  When choosing a sports drink what you should look for is: (1) multiple kinds of sugars (short, medium and long chain sugars) because your body digests different types of sugars at different rates and products with multiple types of sugars allow for more constant fueling; (2) a strong electrolyte profile.  Most people loose 500 - 600 mg of sodium per hour.  An endurolyte has 25 mg of sodium, so to use endurolytes to replace sodium loss you're looking at 20-24 endurolytes per hour; and (3) No articifical sweetners / sugar alcohols, both of which have laxative effects.  I like Skratch, Perform, Gatorade Endurance, Infinit and EFS are also good products.

With regard to going "natural" vs. "artificial," Chex Mix isn't exactly natural.  That being said, while fruit can help provide CHO it comes with a price, large quantities of fiber, which can cause GI issues.  While eating whole foods and as naturally as possible is fantastic for 90 - 95% of the time, when training and racing, its important to give your body the fluids, fuel and electrolytes it needs to perform at its absolute best.  While you can fuel naturally it takes a ton of planning.  The easiest way to go is to use good sports nutrition products for training and racing and to use whole foods for everyday eating. 

2.  Nuun.  Your body needs fluids, CHO and electrolytes to perform in long course racing.  Nuun (which uses sorbitol) provides only fluids and electrolytes.  If you are going to use something, give your body all three in the same product.  For training and racing, I would highly reccomend a good quality sports drink.

3.  KT tape will stay on in the water if its applied correctly.  You may need to experiment with this pre-race.

4.  This is interesting.  Cramping issues lead me to believe that there is an underlying fueling issue.  What has your fueling plan been when you've experience calf cramps?

5. X2 to Boston Scott. 

2013-05-08 1:43 PM
in reply to: #4723981

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

This is Skratch (full disclosure they are a sponsor, but I liked the product, which why I asked them to be a sponsor).  When looking at the nutritional information multiple by 3 because a serving is 8oz and a bike bottle holds 24 oz.  In addition for my long course athletes I recommend that they use a double dose per bottle:

Exercise Hydration Mix
2013-05-08 1:49 PM

User image

Veteran

Skratch also makes a seriously funny commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPBggWHaEK4

2013-05-08 2:33 PM

Just got back from a 10.5 mile ride. Not terrible. Memorable events: two dogs materializing out of nowhere on each side of my bike trying to take me out, and passed the Google streetview car. Feeling pretty good. This was my longest since dragging my fat off the couch last week. I like the route (minus the attack dogs...) so I'll probably keep that one up. Seems to be a pretty popular bike ride as I saw a few riders out today.

I might even go try my first mini brick. Either I'm an idiot or just really dedicated.

2013-05-08 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
My name is Carrie and I live in Elgin, IL. I am single with 2 chocolate labs (Bella and Briggs) and a cat named Tag. I and a financial controller. My story: I used to play ice hockey for many, many years until too many injuries/surgeries ended my playing days. I was looking for competition, but couldn't run because I always got she splints. I tried an Olympic aquabike a few years back, then a couple half aquabikes the next year and that wasn't good enough. As much as I hated running, I had to do a tri! So I did. Then The last 2 years I spent running since that is my biggest weakness. Now I am back to tris ... I just finished the Rev3 Knoxville Olympic on Sunday, now on to training for Muncie 70.3! 2013 Races: Rev3 Knoxville Olympic - DONE, LITH Sprint, Pleasant Prairie Olympic, Muncie 70.3, Soldier Field 10 Miler. Weightloss: started at about 210 lbs about 5 years ago, down about 40-45lbs, still need to lose another 30 lbs.
2013-05-08 4:15 PM
in reply to: #4733615

HoLiCao - 2013-05-08 2:33 PM

Just got back from a 10.5 mile ride. Not terrible. Memorable events: two dogs materializing out of nowhere on each side of my bike trying to take me out, and passed the Google streetview car. Feeling pretty good. This was my longest since dragging my fat off the couch last week. I like the route (minus the attack dogs...) so I'll probably keep that one up. Seems to be a pretty popular bike ride as I saw a few riders out today.

I might even go try my first mini brick. Either I'm an idiot or just really dedicated.

OK, found out I'm an idiot. Halfway through, legs decided to boycott the brick. Had to walk home. But, I'll build up to it. I'm thinking inadequate hydration was probably the culprit. Got some bad cramps in my calves that wouldn't walk off. Tomorrow, though. Tomorrow be a different day...

2013-05-08 4:20 PM
in reply to: #4733790

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
HoLiCao - 2013-05-08 5:15 PM

OK, found out I'm an idiot. Halfway through, legs decided to boycott the brick. Had to walk home. But, I'll build up to it. I'm thinking inadequate hydration was probably the culprit. Got some bad cramps in my calves that wouldn't walk off. Tomorrow, though. Tomorrow be a different day...

4 questions:

1.  How much do you drink during a normal day?

2.  How hot was it out?

3. What & how much did you drink on the bike?

4. Did you change run shoes recently?

2013-05-08 7:49 PM
in reply to: #4733790

User image

Regular

Chad, you live in Athens, don't you?  Where do you ride around there?  I grew up just up the road in Habersham County, and can't imagine riding on the road around there...

2013-05-08 9:11 PM

User image

Guys and gals i hate to say it but i think Im going to resign from this group... I think it i jut too big and fast paced to keep up with my phone... I found another group that is more my speed. I don't want to slow you guys down by not participating as quickly and often as the rest of the group. I Will poke my head in here every now and then assuming Im aloud to. Thanks and good luck!!!
2013-05-09 12:34 AM
in reply to: #4733798

kaburns1214 - 2013-05-08 4:20 PM

4 questions:

1.  How much do you drink during a normal day?

2.  How hot was it out?

3. What & how much did you drink on the bike?

4. Did you change run shoes recently?

I know I didn't drink enough. I went out on the bike with a bottle (I usually have water before going out, but didn't this time), and then didn't drink much of it. It wasn't that hot today - very comfortable. The other stupid thing I did was that I didn't put on my running shoes when I went out. When I was nearly back home, I was like, why are my legs hurting so bad, since I got my good running shoes this never happens. I looked down and realized I still had on my cheap cross trainers... Plenty of dipstick mistakes. That I definitely won't make again!

2013-05-09 12:41 AM
in reply to: #4734057

Kuma - 2013-05-08 7:49 PM

Chad, you live in Athens, don't you?  Where do you ride around there?  I grew up just up the road in Habersham County, and can't imagine riding on the road around there...

I've been looking around, and there are quite a few good routes. I can ride all through my neighborhood and the surrounding ones and rarely see a car. I plan to ride the greenways by the Oconee River as well. They look fairly promising, although short rides. I figure with some creative routing I'll be fine. There's quite a bit of bike traffic around Athens, and some bike clubs that have regular rides I can join as well.

2013-05-09 4:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Does anyone use a safety pin in their timing chip?
2013-05-09 6:01 AM

User image

Haymarket, VA
It sounds like quite a few of us work out in the early morning, I'm curious what do y'all do for nutrition prior to morning workouts.  I'm thinking I definitely need something that's quick, but filling enough that I don't feel empty once I get into the routine.  I was fine in my prior program, none of my sessions lasted longer than 30 min.  I would get that empty feeling later on, but could push through.  With my sessions being scheduled for longer I'm finding that it's impacting  my performance.  

2013-05-09 6:39 AM
in reply to: #4734406

User image

Extreme Veteran

mleech77 - 2013-05-09 7:01 AM It sounds like quite a few of us work out in the early morning, I'm curious what do y'all do for nutrition prior to morning workouts.  I'm thinking I definitely need something that's quick, but filling enough that I don't feel empty once I get into the routine.  I was fine in my prior program, none of my sessions lasted longer than 30 min.  I would get that empty feeling later on, but could push through.  With my sessions being scheduled for longer I'm finding that it's impacting  my performance.  

I used to go without fueling before leaving for training sessions but my coach nixed that.  I now eat around 200-250 calories before almost every training session (with the exception of recovery spins or runs that run under 60 minutes).  I usually go for Larabars, Barnanas, or regular banana.  I always have one cup of coffee as well.  I have to say that my workouts have improved dramatically since I started doing this.  Can't believe I was going without before!

I will add that because I am eating prior to my training sessions and during my longer or harder sessions, I am not as ravenous in the second half of the day as I used to be.   

2013-05-09 6:43 AM
in reply to: #4734378

User image

Extreme Veteran

ccmpsyd - 2013-05-09 5:32 AM Does anyone use a safety pin in their timing chip?

I read that on a thread in TT....guessing you saw it there too.  I have never safety pinned a timing chip before.  I did lose one briefly in T1, but I noticed it and recovered the chip before I took off on my bike.  The chip bothers me a little bit so I notice if it's not there.  LOL  

I know many people said it wouldn't bother them if they had a DNF for a final results because of a lost chip.  It would really bother me!!!!  I want official results.  

Curious as to what others have to say about using a pin....

2013-05-09 6:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
My swim workout was the best this morning.  I think it's one of my favorites - ever!!!!  I'm glad I get to do it for the next 2 weeks.  Lots of speed stuff with a little butterfly mixed in.  I'm certainly not a speed demon when it comes to fly, but I feel as if it really works my body.  Everything is fatigued right now - lats, delts, triceps, forearms, biceps, core, etc.  It's a great feeling.  
2013-05-09 6:49 AM
in reply to: #4734432

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
jarvy01 - 2013-05-09 7:43 AM

ccmpsyd - 2013-05-09 5:32 AM Does anyone use a safety pin in their timing chip?

I read that on a thread in TT....guessing you saw it there too.  I have never safety pinned a timing chip before.  I did lose one briefly in T1, but I noticed it and recovered the chip before I took off on my bike.  The chip bothers me a little bit so I notice if it's not there.  LOL  

I know many people said it wouldn't bother them if they had a DNF for a final results because of a lost chip.  It would really bother me!!!!  I want official results.  

Curious as to what others have to say about using a pin....

I think it is one of those things that "you don't need it till you need it" kind of things. It will take one lost chip and you might wish you did use a pin. Now saying that I never used a pin last year but reading this and if it was my A race that I got a DNF because of it I might be a little upset
2013-05-09 7:15 AM
in reply to: #4734430

User image

Pro
CyFair
jarvy01 - 2013-05-09 6:39 AM

mleech77 - 2013-05-09 7:01 AM It sounds like quite a few of us work out in the early morning, I'm curious what do y'all do for nutrition prior to morning workouts.  I'm thinking I definitely need something that's quick, but filling enough that I don't feel empty once I get into the routine.  I was fine in my prior program, none of my sessions lasted longer than 30 min.  I would get that empty feeling later on, but could push through.  With my sessions being scheduled for longer I'm finding that it's impacting  my performance.  

I used to go without fueling before leaving for training sessions but my coach nixed that.  I now eat around 200-250 calories before almost every training session (with the exception of recovery spins or runs that run under 60 minutes).  I usually go for Larabars, Barnanas, or regular banana.  I always have one cup of coffee as well.  I have to say that my workouts have improved dramatically since I started doing this.  Can't believe I was going without before!

I will add that because I am eating prior to my training sessions and during my longer or harder sessions, I am not as ravenous in the second half of the day as I used to be.   

Lara bars, certain cereals, bananas, homemade museli, oatmeal.  The Feed Zone cookbook has a lot of good stuff.

2013-05-09 7:16 AM
in reply to: #4734378

User image

Pro
CyFair

ccmpsyd - 2013-05-09 4:32 AM Does anyone use a safety pin in their timing chip?

I've been in enough rough swims and seen enough chips laying strewn about the area by the wetsuit strippers that I always have a safety pin in. 

2013-05-09 7:20 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Swim TT for me today.  Felt sluggish but my times are good, not great.  This is still the part of the race that worries me.  I know that once I get in and get going the adrenaline will take over and everything will be fine, but an hour twenty seems like such a long time to swim in my head.  Lake Woodlands went up 5 degrees over the past 2 days.  My guess at this point is that the race is wetsuit optional like last year.
2013-05-09 7:27 AM
in reply to: #4734459

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Texas Scott, Don't you have a good oatmeal recipe that soaks overnight? Could you point me to the recipe or post here?
2013-05-09 8:04 AM
in reply to: #4734479

User image

Pro
CyFair

kidtri33 - 2013-05-09 7:27 AM Texas Scott, Don't you have a good oatmeal recipe that soaks overnight? Could you point me to the recipe or post here?

1 cup of old fashioned oats or steel cut oats

1 cup of almond milk

2 oz of greek yogurt

2 oz of toasted almonds

1 apple diced (or fruit of choice, I like frozen berries)

dash of cinnamon

honey, real maple syrup, agave (optional)

Let soak overnight and eat when you wake up.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86