BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-01-08 4:32 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - OPEN
Originally posted by b2b14

Can I have a mulligan for the last 24 hrs? got off late (2200) last night with no chance to eat since a late breakfast. Planned to swim but had to be there at 0530 so that I could pick up a co worker on the way to work, but didn't fall asleep till after 0130, so that didn't happen. Once at the gym (I am fortunate enough to get an hr to work out at work) I'm told our shower has no hot water. had to run on the treadmill and got 2 miles in prior to my 33 degree shower.

OK now the good news I have a fridge full of Foothills IPA at home to go with the tacos I plan to make.....

Mulligan granted! Taking a shower that cold should count as a workout IMO

2014-01-08 5:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by MOlsen

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Shelia T.=Shelia Taormina (4x Olympian and triathlon world champion) I got her Swim Speed Workouts "book" for Christmas and today is the first day I've made it to the pool since then to give it a shot. I heard lots of good things about her workouts on TT and the Challenge Me: Work your Weakness thread, so I thought I'd give it a try. Drinks tonight: Hmmm...don't know yet. I know my wife picked up 3-4 new beers last week, but for the life of me I can't remember any of their names. It is still cold and dreary here, so it may be a great day for a chocolate stout (one of my favorites!)

I was thinking about picking up that book, what are your thoughts on it? How well are the techniques described, etc?

Keep in mind I've only made it through day 1, but I really like it! The "front matter" is well written and explains some theory behind the practice and then it has sections for drills and 60 individual workouts. She explains everything really well--each drill has its own card with a full written description and photos, for example. The timing was a little disorienting at first because there are multiple times written for each set to accommodate different skill levels, but that wouldn't be a big deal if I knew my speeds better or if I had carefully reviewed the set before getting wet. The coolest thing is that this isn't a book at all, but a deck of 5X7”ish waterproof cards in a plastic holder. I pulled out the workout and drill instruction cards and took them right to the pool with me--no more soggy pieces of paper stuck to the pool edge!! I'd say well worth the $20.

Tonight's beer--a Paadebloem (a fruit beer!) from Red Rock Brewery and Samuel Smith's Chocolate Stout (don't worry, the wife and I split them!). Kinda opposite ends of the spectrum, but both were really good.

Edited by drfoodlove 2014-01-08 5:27 PM

2014-01-08 5:31 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by MOlsen

Shelia T.=Shelia Taormina (4x Olympian and triathlon world champion) I got her Swim Speed Workouts "book" for Christmas and today is the first day I've made it to the pool since then to give it a shot. I heard lots of good things about her workouts on TT and the Challenge Me: Work your Weakness thread, so I thought I'd give it a try. Drinks tonight: Hmmm...don't know yet. I know my wife picked up 3-4 new beers last week, but for the life of me I can't remember any of their names. It is still cold and dreary here, so it may be a great day for a chocolate stout (one of my favorites!)

I was thinking about picking up that book, what are your thoughts on it? How well are the techniques described, etc?

Keep in mind I've only made it through day 1, but I really like it! The "front matter" is well written and explains some theory behind the practice and then it has sections for drills and 60 individual workouts. She explains everything really well--each drill has its own card with a full written description and photos, for example. The timing was a little disorienting at first because there are multiple times written for each set to accommodate different skill levels, but that wouldn't be a big deal if I knew my speeds better or if I had carefully reviewed the set before getting wet. The coolest thing is that this isn't a book at all, but a deck of 5X7”ish waterproof cards in a plastic holder. I pulled out the workout and drill instruction cards and took them right to the pool with me--no more soggy pieces of paper stuck to the pool edge!! I'd say well worth the $20.

Aaah, so it's just the workouts. I was thinking about getting her book on technique as well as the workouts, as I'm trying to decided between book learning and some private lessons to improve my form. Good to hear that the workout cards are poolside friendly!

2014-01-08 6:21 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Veteran
The Ocean State
Well done! Isn't it funny how it can be hard to motivate yourself to get a workout done and every time you say I'm glad I did that. We humans are a funny bunch.
2014-01-08 7:19 PM
in reply to: sma777

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Well, the accountability side of this group came in today. I had to stay late from work a couple of hours for an interview, then the wife (teacher) was off work and wanted to go to breakfast, so I didn't get in bed until noon and was back up around 3:45... I felt like a train hit me, but I didn't want to post that I've missed two days in a row, so I got on the trainer for 30 minutes. I would have passed on it had it not been for this group!

After I got out of the shower I felt like a brand new man, so I registered for Ironman 70.3 Silverman in Las Vegas! Now I've got some work to do and a solid goal to work toward!
2014-01-08 7:22 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY

4/31--Shelia T's workout 1-1, which nearly killed me. It was only 2150yds, but it felt like miles (okay, it was 1.33mi, but you get the point!). I'm going to feel this one tomorrow for sure (which I love)!!

That's a great swim! I can't wait to get back in the water! Also, I too love a chocolate stout in the winter. That's a great reward!

2014-01-08 8:17 PM
in reply to: #4915725

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed
Can I look up the Shelia T book/workouts on amazon? I'd be interested in getting them. I'm working on my swim and run mostly, and the laminated cards would be great.
2014-01-08 8:26 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Can I look up the Shelia T book/workouts on amazon? I'd be interested in getting them. I'm working on my swim and run mostly, and the laminated cards would be great.

Yup...
http://www.amazon.com/Swim-Speed-Workouts-Swimmers-Triathletes/dp/1...
2014-01-08 9:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by b2b14 Can I look up the Shelia T book/workouts on amazon? I'd be interested in getting them. I'm working on my swim and run mostly, and the laminated cards would be great.
Yup... http://www.amazon.com/Swim-Speed-Workouts-Swimmers-Triathletes/dp/1...

Here is a great free sight for swimming...

http://mastersswimworkoutsbysaramclarty.blogspot.ca

2014-01-08 10:46 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by Qua17
Originally posted by jeffnboise

Hello, "Beer Drinkers",  I'm Jeff/from Boise.  Am I too late to join the group?  Bio to follow.

We'd love to have you. Congrats - you are the last person to join. Looking forward to reading your bio

Hello, Beer Drinkers. Thanks for having me.

BIO:  Jeff/Boise, ID by way of US Air Force.  51 yrs young, divorced, 3 kids (20, 19, 11) oldest son in Air Force, middle son plans to join Navy, youngest idaughter is the best athlete of the three.

Occupation:  Law Enforcement.  Currently a Federal Police Officer for Dept. of Veteran's Affairs

Sports Background:  Running is in my blood, but I got hooked on cycling while stationed in Europe during the 80s.  Swimming is my weakest and I'm OK with that.  I 'could' take a lesson or two, but money is tight and I figure I 'could' train more to make up any time lost in the water.  I'm fairly confident my Olympic dreams are NOT going to happen, so I'm content to stay fit and not embarrass myself on race days. 

Past Accomplishments:  I've run/ridden almost every distance.  EXCEPT Ultra-distance running, cuz, those people are nuts. lol  Oly distance tris are my favorite, but 70.3s seem doable because the swim is something I can handle.  My calves have been a recent source of problems the past two years.  Tears in the Soleus created scar tissue that have hobbled me.  PT, Active release, Deep tissue massage and better post-workout habits have got me healthy right now, so my training is starting to gain some distance AND intensity.

Goals:  I'm doing a bit of everything this year.  1/2 Marys, RAGNAR, Century Rides, Seattle-To-Portland, 3-4 Olys and maybe a 70.3 in the fall.  I've got a shift change coming up at work, so that will dictate my goals.  Kids, family, GF ALL come first.  My recreational sports are NOT allowed to negatively impact the lives of those close to me. 

Beer Choices:  I drink, and enjoy PBR.....there I said it.  I like Pabst Blue Ribbon.  I don't like most micro-brews because I think they're simply trying to be different from the next guy.  I do enjoy a good Porter, Bock, Stout.  I'm a pilsner, lager guy.   Whiskeys-I could go on and on about Bourbon, scotch, Irish, Canadian...me like a finger or two of a dark, warm whiskey.

I work PT in a LBS (local bike shop), I've done some wrenching in my day, so perhaps I can offer some tech/mechanical assistance. 

I'm looking forward to the support and guidance of a mentor group.  And I'll do my best to contribute in any way.   Let's get going. 

2014-01-08 11:12 PM

User image

New user
Seattle
Couldn't find the exact yoga program, but tried one called "Daily Yoga" which was quite enjoyable. Also made it to the pool for a 20 minute swim. It felt great to be back in the water, but I definitely am lacking some form. I might have to check out that book. I am going to try to find some form drills on websites/You Tube first.

2014-01-08 11:18 PM

User image

New user
Seattle

Yup...

I know I already posted this, I am just re-posting to confirm to myself that I finally figured out how to truly respond to a previous post, and not just leave mine dangling out there unattached. I think I deserve a beer for this.

Couldn't find the exact yoga program, but tried one called "Daily Yoga" which was quite enjoyable. Also made it to the pool for a 20 minute swim. It felt great to be back in the water, but I definitely am lacking some form. I might have to check out that book. I am going to try to find some form drills on websites/You Tube first.
2014-01-08 11:30 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I had to dig deep for a workout today. Saw some old friends after work and grabbed a beer at BIG CHOICE Brewery (2/50
Complete now!).

The fact that the dog ate my peanut butter off the counter fueled my angry 24x45 sec max boxing intervals w/ 10sec rest. A good trainer ride coming up tomorrow. Maybe more intervals!

2014-01-08 11:32 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I had to dig deep for a workout today. Saw some old friends after work and grabbed a beer at BIG CHOICE Brewery (2/50
Complete now!).

The fact that the dog ate my peanut butter off the counter fueled my angry 24x45 sec max boxing intervals w/ 10sec rest. A good trainer ride coming up tomorrow. Maybe more intervals!

2014-01-08 11:37 PM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Brian W

Complete now!).

Pulling a double tomorrow morning. Up at 4:30 to make it to gym by 5 to make it in to work at 7. It's worth it. Swim for 5/21, and spin bike for 6/21. Another double on Friday so I can meet the weekly goals.
2014-01-08 11:42 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by jeffnboise

EXCEPT Ultra-distance running, cuz, those people are nuts. lol  Oly distance tris are my favorite, but 70.3s seem doable because the swim is something I can handle.  My calves have been a recent source of problems the past two years.  Tears in the Soleus created scar tissue that have hobbled me.  PT, Active release, Deep tissue massage and better post-workout habits have got me healthy right now, so my training is starting to gain some distance AND intensity
Jeff- welcome aboard. I have currently been hobbled in my right calf by something that sounds like what your coming through. I went out for a training run one day and got what I thought was a calf cramp, only to find out it wasn't. Six months later, I'm still on the shelf for running. Would love to pick your brain on your experience and how you treated.

2014-01-09 5:29 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Welcome Jeff. bourbon is defiantly one of my favorites. Have you tried a bourbon barrel aged stout?

up early for a swim then a run, and hoping the hot water at work is fixed. But tomorrow is a rest day and a day off work
2014-01-09 5:31 AM

User image

Yup...

thx
2014-01-09 7:32 AM

User image

Expert

Can I have a mulligan for the last 24 hrs? got off late (2200) last night with no chance to eat since a late breakfast. Planned to swim but had to be there at 0530 so that I could pick up a co worker on the way to work, but didn't fall asleep till after 0130, so that didn't happen. Once at the gym (I am fortunate enough to get an hr to work out at work) I'm told our shower has no hot water. had to run on the treadmill and got 2 miles in prior to my 33 degree shower.

OK now the good news I have a fridge full of Foothills IPA at home to go with the tacos I plan to make.....

I wish there were such a thing as a mulligan for life... sounds like you earned it. Loved the fact you did what you had to in order to get in those two miles! Bet those Foothill IPAs tasted good!
2014-01-09 7:40 AM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Brian W

Complete now!).

Man's best friend.... I have my doubts. My mutt found her way into an entire batch of blondies yesterday. Didn't even leave one for me. Thank god she hasn't figured out how to use a bottle opener

Great job on finding a way to get that workout in! Keep up the great work!
2014-01-09 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
It's Thursday and we are midway through the week. Time to check in and recommit to your goals for the week. You're mission is simple. There are two things I would like for you to do. First - take a moment to bring us up to speed by posting how your goals are going this week. In your post - let us know what your plans are for accomplishing your goals by the end of the week. Second, and most importantly, make it happen.

I am loving what I am seeing in this group so far. Many of you are using this forum to hold yourself accountable. I find that when I tell the group I'm going to do something, it helps me to make it happen because while I might be 20 pounds over weight, I'm a man of my word. Plus, f I fall short - I know I have a warm coors light waiting for me!

Good luck everyone and keep up the great work!

2014-01-09 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
DQ Upate

Ten 20 minute PT sessions - So far, I've done 6 and I plan on squeezing in two more today. I should end up with 12 for the week so all good.
Finalize monthly workout plans with coach - that still hasn't happened because she is still working on the plan. I will write a note to remind her.
Complete 2 swim workouts minimum - Done 2400 yards! Hoping to get in a bonus 1200 either tomorrow or Saturday.
Sign up for swimsmooth.com - Change in plan... swimsmooth doesn't work on my computer. A friend recommended http://goswim.tv/and so I signed for that that instead. If you are new to the pool - YOU NEED to check out this site. Its got videos to show you how to improve your stroke and God knows I need to improve my stroke.

If I reach all my goals - I'll reward myself with a few beers during the playoff games on Sat. and Sun.
2014-01-09 9:30 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Lookin good on those goals David!! Keep up the strong work!

5/31 this morning with a 30 minute trainer ride plus a little core work and week1, day 2 of the 100 pushup challenge. Got most of my trainer issues worked out, but I'm having trouble with my HRM in that it won't record or display my heart rate. It is new (another Christmas present--Santa was very tri friendly to me this year!), so I probably don't have it set up right, but it is frustrating! Anyone have any hints on getting 910x to register HR with the supplied HRM? I tried tightening the strap (to the point I could barely breathe) and warming up for 10 minutes, but no go. That is all the trouble shooting Garmin's manual had to offer. I'm planning a run and weight session this afternoon if I can finish up my work early enough. Thursday is "date afternoon" so I have to be finished with work, workout, and showered by 3pm.

Goals:
1.) "Friend" all BDAAS members--done! Post at least once a day--done so far!
2.) 2x in each discipline, remember this is week 1 back after a month off--bike 2x, swim 2x, run 1x--with another scheduled for this afternoon. Haven't done so smashing at remembering this is the first week back though
3.) Yoga 2x--have one session in so far, will try for other session tomorrow after my long swim
4.) Pushup challenge 3x; core work 2x, strength training 2x--pushups 2x (with Friday as next scheduled), core 2x, strength 1x with another scheduled for this afternoon

Looks like I'm on track to accomplish all of my goals for this week!!
2014-01-09 9:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Weekly update:

1)drink more beer...failing miserably.

2)3b/3s/3r-at 2b/2s/1r. It will be tight.

3)eat better/portions--meh not top notch but better than last week.

2014-01-09 9:58 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

How is everyone doing on the 20/31 challenge? We are coming up on 1/3 of the way through the week....stay consistent, especially at the beginning so it can become habit forming. Next month we will be ramping it up a couple of notches so lay the groundwork this month!

cheers!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.