BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-01-13 11:06 AM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
I've been bad at my posting I have been reading everything though and it looks like everyone is moving right along. I've been putting off getting in the water for no other reason than I'm lazy. Last week I did get 2 in but I was supposed to swim yesterday and failed. I still rode though. I need to get motivated again since I have a 70.3 coming up in April.

On the bright side I am back on the run. Got in 30 minutes today and felt real good. Since I'm so injury prone I am going to cap my long runs at 6 miles for the half. When I get closer to the full in November I will look at my mileage and decide what to do then. I will probably cap that at 12+/- miles. I already told myself I am walking a good portion of it so I won't be let down when that happens. It's worth walking part of it knowing I will go into the race injury free.

2015-01-13 11:51 AM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Mid-week check-in. Unfortunately I have not had time to follow up on the rest of the messages, work is keeping me too busy!

Did some runs and a little biking over the weekend and during the start of the week. The end of this week will be running the Disneyland Star Wars "Rebel Challenge"  10k and half marathon plus walking the 5k with my wife. Three days of events and four days in the parks, my feet will be sore by the end of it! On Sunday I plan on riding the Disneyland railroad a couple of times around the park while wearing a bunch of finishers medals

2015-01-13 2:13 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Katy, TX
Hey I hope it's not too late to hop on here. I really would like to be involved in this group if you would have me. Really enjoy beer, and triathlon. Getting back into the swing of things after a two year hiatus for business school and two kids. Raced for two years prior and was really active while in the US Army, now trying to get back into fighting shape.

More than happy to post bio and contribute.

Thanks - Ryan

2015-01-13 2:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Originally posted by shackdogei

Hey I hope it's not too late to hop on here. I really would like to be involved in this group if you would have me. Really enjoy beer, and triathlon. Getting back into the swing of things after a two year hiatus for business school and two kids. Raced for two years prior and was really active while in the US Army, now trying to get back into fighting shape.

Thanks - Ryan

If I had been in the Army, we'd have similar lives the last few years! :D Since I was not, I will just thank you for your service!!!!

Thor & Jeff,
Thanks for the food links! I will do my best to start planning out my food for the day, every day.

I swam this morning!!! Felt great to get back in the water! I have a lot of work to do, but it'll come around fast.. My brother-in-law went with me, and does NOT swim well. I tried to get him a little more comfortable in the water, and he is optimistic about it. I ordered the Total Immersion DVD so that I can improve my TI swimming, and get him on the right path.
Anyone else use Total Immersion? I love it!

Edited by fifthcircle 2015-01-13 2:43 PM
2015-01-13 2:43 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Just a public service announcement for those who want to try something a little different....

Here’s a whale of a story: An Icelandic brewery has created a beer made with smoked, salted and cured whale testicles as the perfect gift idea for men.

After the successful launch of a beer made with milled whale bones and whale meat, Brewery Steðji said it’s currently concocting a sequel called Hvalur 2, this time made with whale testicles.

Each batch of beer is infused with the flavors of one whole whale testicle, cured according to an old Icelandic tradition, lightly salted, then smoked, reported Icelandic news site Visir.

The suds are also made with malted barley, hops and Icelandic water.

Bottles of whale testicle beer will hit store shelves across the country January 23, the start of Thorri season, an Icelandic holiday season in which families tuck into traditional foods and delicacies that include rotten shark’s meat, boiled sheep’s head, ram’s testicles and pickled whale blubber.

January 23 also marks Husband’s Day, when WAGS (wives and girlfriends) pamper the men in their lives with gifts.

Amazingly, it’s not the first time beer has been made with gonads.

In 2012, Colorado brewery Wynkoop Brewing Company launched a beer made with roasted bull testicles. Each brew of Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout was made with 3 BPB --- balls per barrel.

2015-01-13 6:35 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Veteran
Illinois
First real workout of the year, sadly - an easy half hour run plus about an hour worth of strength training. Just getting back in the swing of things.

Oh, and it is nice to workout in the middle of the day, especially when I finally quit my job. I had a major disagreement with my boss - he wanted me to work for free, and I though that four weeks without a paycheck and nothing but empty promises was more than enough "good cause."

Can't say that I'm happy, but I'm not doing too badly - just taking it bit by bit - one step at a time.

2015-01-13 8:34 PM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Smiley9188

DQ, I haven't done a bio like the others but have given you my scoop, at least I think I have. Do you want more from me? I need to figure out how to also make a signature so you know who i am. Do you want anything specific listed in the signature to keep track of us?

The thing that makes this page work is beer and relationships/frienndships. Posting a bio lets people get to know you better and the better they know you, the better able they will be to support you. As for the signature - it would be great if you put your first name or what you want people to call you. I also put sayings that motivate me. It's your page and your journey - basically its up to you.

DQ
2015-01-13 8:36 PM
in reply to: shackdogei

User image

Expert
Originally posted by shackdogei

Thanks - Ryan

Ryan - The door is always open. Thank you for your service and let us know how we can help you get back at it!
2015-01-13 8:40 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Burd

I've been bad at my posting I have been reading everything though and it looks like everyone is moving right along. I've been putting off getting in the water for no other reason than I'm lazy. Last week I did get 2 in but I was supposed to swim yesterday and failed. I still rode though. I need to get motivated again since I have a 70.3 coming up in April.

On the bright side I am back on the run. Got in 30 minutes today and felt real good. Since I'm so injury prone I am going to cap my long runs at 6 miles for the half. When I get closer to the full in November I will look at my mileage and decide what to do then. I will probably cap that at 12+/- miles. I already told myself I am walking a good portion of it so I won't be let down when that happens. It's worth walking part of it knowing I will go into the race injury free.

Alex - Just a quick note to say I think this is a good call... With all you have gone through - all that matters Nancy Boy - is to get your to the starting line healthy. As for the IM - my advice is for you to ride ride ride ride. My coach had me do that and he got my fitness and stamina up to the point that I was able to train for IMMT without injury. You will do it!

In the coming weeks - send me a message and I'll give you some of the info I have from my own training. If I can do it - so can you.
2015-01-13 8:43 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

First real workout of the year, sadly - an easy half hour run plus about an hour worth of strength training. Just getting back in the swing of things.

Oh, and it is nice to workout in the middle of the day, especially when I finally quit my job. I had a major disagreement with my boss - he wanted me to work for free, and I though that four weeks without a paycheck and nothing but empty promises was more than enough "good cause."

Can't say that I'm happy, but I'm not doing too badly - just taking it bit by bit - one step at a time.

Congrats on making it happen. Nothing said about getting in your first workout of the year. I know it's a stressful time - but take the time to work on you. Send me a pic of a healthy breakfast tomorrow like we did back in the day. If we did it then - we can do it again! Onward my friend!
2015-01-13 8:47 PM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jenstewey

Can I jump in on this late?

NAME: Jen

STORY:  I've been doing triathlons for awhile, but took a 3 year hiatus and just started back up in 2014.  I joined a triathlon team (with coach) and had a goal to do (attempt) Ironman before I turn 40, so this is my last chance....

FAMILY STATUS: 38 years old, live in Fairfax, VA, single, no children (except animals).

CURRENT TRAINING:  Ramping up again after a slightly lazy off-season, swimming twice a week, biking twice a week (even tried my first winter outdoor ride!) and run/walking 3-4 times per week.

2014 RACES:  A bunch, 3 triathlons (though swim was canceled in one), open water swims - all my race reports are on my blog:  http://jengottatri.blogspot.com

2015 RACES:
- Charlottesville Half Marathon
- Kinetic Half Aqua-Bike
- Eagleman 70.3
- Swim for Life 2.4mi
- Challenge/Rev3 Poconos Half
- Ironman Maryland

BEER PREFERENCE: I hate beer, but have been loving cider lately... and wine!

WEIGHT LOSS:  I'm working with a nutritionist and hoping to get down at least 30 more over the next 6 months.

Jen - There is always a stool at the bar! Welcome! I'm a huge fan of Cider. My in-laws live in Fredericksburg - I'll make you an offer you can't refuse. If you stick in this group and support your fellow BDASers, I'll bring you a six pack of Downeast Cider from Boston the next time I head south. It's the best cider I've ever tasted! Deal?

2015-01-13 8:51 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Kate and Justin - 8 for 8 in the 21 one day challenge and 2 of 4 for our weekly challenge.

I just got back from an hour long ride. Temp was 8. Windchill was close to 0.

If I can do it - so can you!
2015-01-13 9:21 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Extreme Veteran
DQ! Your ride sounds way harder than mine. First bike of the season so I did a fairly easy 20 minute spin. I felt a lot better than I have in the past. Perhaps all of my mtn biking over the summer/ fall paid off a little. (My husband is trying to convince me we need fat bikes so we can ride in the snow.)

So, I'm 2/4 as well.

I also did a yoga class earlier- which truth be told was harder than the bike. But, I'm really trying to restrain to avoid an injury from early over exuberance.

Alex, I'm sorry about your work situation! I hope you find something much better for you.

As I was grocery shopping last night I was thinking it would be a funny challenge to post pictures of your grocery cart before check out - pushing for more veggies and less Doritos.
2015-01-13 9:24 PM
in reply to: #5083194

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mmm Cider! Welcome Jen. When I lived in Dublin I loved Bulmers. Perhaps I need to be on the lookout for cider. What are your favorites?
2015-01-13 11:30 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Just had my first fruit experience. A Lambic raspberry something or other mixed with a can of hard cider. not bad.
2015-01-13 11:44 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by thor67

Just a public service announcement for those who want to try something a little different....

Here’s a whale of a story: An Icelandic brewery has created a beer made with smoked, salted and cured whale testicles as the perfect gift idea for men.

After the successful launch of a beer made with milled whale bones and whale meat, Brewery Steðji said it’s currently concocting a sequel called Hvalur 2, this time made with whale testicles.

Each batch of beer is infused with the flavors of one whole whale testicle, cured according to an old Icelandic tradition, lightly salted, then smoked, reported Icelandic news site Visir.

The suds are also made with malted barley, hops and Icelandic water.

Bottles of whale testicle beer will hit store shelves across the country January 23, the start of Thorri season, an Icelandic holiday season in which families tuck into traditional foods and delicacies that include rotten shark’s meat, boiled sheep’s head, ram’s testicles and pickled whale blubber.

January 23 also marks Husband’s Day, when WAGS (wives and girlfriends) pamper the men in their lives with gifts.

In 2012, Colorado brewery Wynkoop Brewing Company launched a beer made with roasted bull testicles. Each brew of Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout was made with 3 BPB --- balls per barrel.

Just tried my first fruit beer. May be a few more years before I try whale's testy beer or any other animal part beer for that matter!

2015-01-14 7:05 AM
in reply to: #5083195

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
First, no whale testicle beer...ever.

Second, two more workouts in the can for me. Nice run during meeting lunch break yesterday and another turn in the stationary bike this morning. Those out me at 15/400 on the year. Off to another day of meetings.

2015-01-14 9:01 AM

User image

back on the wagon with 6 miles today. treadmill due to ice, but it would have been really easy to blow it off since I was called in 2 hours early to deal with icy roads. Once we realized there weren't going to be many issues we were allowed to get our workouts in. I was really not wanting to run, but did anyway and I'm glad I did. First run with my now replaced 920 and so far so good.

2015-01-14 9:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by thor67

I would like to point out that our Governor owns Wynkoop. Not sure if there is a point here. Just was unaware of this particular claim to fame of his.
2015-01-14 2:36 PM

User image

, Connecticut
NAME: Colleen

STORY: I joined a running group last April the month I stopped nursing my baby. This running group managed to inspire me to run all the way through December (amazing!). One of the women did a sprint triathlon last summer and I thought I could do it too! So after thinking about it, considering the costs, talking endlessly with the wonderful workers at the local bike store, considering the impact on (time away from) my family and the rewards of completing this journey I decided I'm IN! So I'm giving it a go. I expect to do 5 this year, minimum. I swam through high school and have been running for 9 months or so regularly. I've been to exactly 3 spin classes and haven't been on a real bike except for a morning vacation ride with my family in years. I don't own a bike (yet) and have lots of weird wonders about triathlons- like do I wear a sports bra to swim, what about sun screen?

FAMILY STATUS: I've been married for 7 years, and I'm a stay at home mom to a 4.5 and 1.5 year old. I'm 37 years old.

CURRENT TRAINING: At this point I'm just gently easing into the three sports. I'm hoping to stay injury free (I have nagging sports injuries) and am trying to build endurance and keep myself motivated. I suspect in February or March I'll start to do drills/exercises and officially start my training.

2014 RACES: I ran two 5k races last summer

RACES PLANNED FOR 15: I'm doing an indoor triathlon THIS Saturday (10 minutes/30 minutes/ 20 minutes). It's my first ever triathlon, but for me it will feel like a mini-sprint since I will be slower than this in an outdoor race. I plan on competing in at least two Lake Terramuggus sprint triathlons, I plan on doing the women's only triathlon in Winding Trails in Farmington CT in September and I'll find another Sprint tri sometime this summer to complete my 5.

BEER PREFERENCE: I used to drink wine and beer. A lot of it. Though I haven't been able to really handle drinking these days. Between losing weight and having/living with two young kids I'm just not loving drinking right now, though this summer I discovered vodka which I enjoyed on a hot summer sundays often. You can find me having a Long Trail occasionally though!
2015-01-14 3:53 PM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

Katy, TX
NAME: Ryan

STORY: I played college baseball, was active as a member of the military for 7 years, ran several half-marathons, a full marathon, and did number of sprint tris before having kids and going back to school part-time. I officially claim the title of being able to make an excuse for getting out of any workout which is what I am trying to get over. Want to get back into shape to be a better role model for my girls, as well as being able to enjoy the competition again.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 3.5 and 2 year old girls (aka Princesses!)

CURRENT TRAINING: Started a 13 week sprint tri training program. Swim is by far my best event. Had foot surgery in December 14 so easing into the running. Have tri bike and trainer set up at home. Do some spin classes at local gym to mix it up.

2014 RACES: Race to Gain 20 Pounds - 1st Place
Race to least number of Workouts in 2014 - 1st Place, 12
Race across back yard with 3 year old daughter - 2nd Place, I let her win

RACES PLANNED FOR 15: Already signed up for Kemah Sprint Tri in April, Tejas Sprint in June, then probably one sprint a month the rest of the season in and around the Houston area.

BEER PREFERENCE: Been really into double IPAs lately. Enjoy seasonals throughout the year from the local breweries. Try to stick to the craft beer in smaller quantities vs. mainstream lite beers in mass quantities.

2015-01-14 6:30 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kevinbe

Just had my first fruit experience. A Lambic raspberry something or other mixed with a can of hard cider. not bad.

Baby steps! Baby steps!

I never thought this day would come. Congrats on breaking the seal! There are a lot of good fruit beers out there... enjoy!
2015-01-14 6:32 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

First, no whale testicle beer...ever.

Second, two more workouts in the can for me. Nice run during meeting lunch break yesterday and another turn in the stationary bike this morning. Those out me at 15/400 on the year. Off to another day of meetings.

Congrats on getting the workouts in! You've set a challenging goal for yourself and you're off to a great start!
2015-01-14 6:34 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

back on the wagon with 6 miles today. treadmill due to ice, but it would have been really easy to blow it off since I was called in 2 hours early to deal with icy roads. Once we realized there weren't going to be many issues we were allowed to get our workouts in. I was really not wanting to run, but did anyway and I'm glad I did. First run with my now replaced 920 and so far so good.

Outstanding! Glad to hear Garmin did you right!
2015-01-14 6:43 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
This morning - I got in a swim (300 - baby steps - just like Kevin and his fruit beers) and some aqua jogging to reach 9 days in my 21 days challenge. I'm still tired from the national championship game and getting out of beer was a the hardest part of the workout. It must have built up some good Karma because my buddy who works in a brewery dropped off a case of beers that were just handing around the brewery. I live a charmed life...

I'm hoping to get to bed by 8:30 tonight to get back on track. I'll get a bike ride tomorrow - it's gonna be in the mid 20's - balmy.

This weekend, I will make a list of our names and user names to help us get to know each other. You can help by ending our posts with your name so people can get to know you better. We are off to a great start and I am loving all the support I'm seeing. Keep it up people!

Speaking of keeping it up - you better be putting in the workouts Justin. If I have to drink coors light there aren't enough mounties to keep you safe
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 57537 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.