BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-02-12 9:57 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open
3k yards in the pool this morning. I almost didn't go because I thought the roads might be icy. They are just wet. It's been rainy and dreary here, but bright side is I got a delay this morning so had some time to relax in the morning!

2019-02-12 5:18 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
40' run outside(!) followed by 3000yds in the pool. I don't know if I'll ever get faster in the pool, but at least I do know I'll make the IM distance! Run is using the Mafatone method, which sucks. Try running and keeping your HR <140. That is S.L.O.W. Yes, I know, the whole point is to run slow now so I can run faster later, but I WANT TO RUN FAST NOW!!!!!

*whine over*
2019-02-12 6:31 PM
in reply to: #5255234

User image

, Vermont
Andrew, really nice time on your half! Well done!

Nicole, you were smokin’ in the pool, holy cow! I would be ecstatic to have you 100 IM time as my 100 free time! ??

Gretchen, I’m thinking with the work you and your dad have in your house over the last few years, we’re going to need to see pictures soon! What great skills/knowledge to have!
Nice swim and congrats on the run outside (hoping soon I’ll get to do the same).

Less than a week until I head out for the remainder of my training. (6 more weeks). My bike and trainer are still in Louisville sitting in my car at the airport (hope it’s still there!). I plan to get a 2 month membership at the gym 2 doors down from my hotel. They have 2 GORGEOUS pools, one has 8 or 10 lanes and the other must have almost 20 lanes and if they swap the lines it’s a 50 yard pool. <3 they have monthly indoor tris and depending on work, maybe I can do one in March or April. That will be humbling!
Today: spin class
Yesterday: 1600 yds. (All I could get before kids had to go to school).
Sunday: 3 miles on the indoor track
2019-02-13 6:54 AM
in reply to: #5255360

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hour on the trainer this morning. I’ve decided to change my saddle out and see what happens...just as soon as I can find my wrenches. Can’t be worse than what I have now! This morning I accidentally put on a pair of shorts a size too big. So, saddle was doubly uncomfortable!

I think this might be a rest week—coach only has eight workouts scheduled and none are more than 90 minutes. He just didn’t label it as such.
2019-02-13 9:10 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Great job at your swim meet Nicole!!!

2019-02-13 9:14 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Andrew, really nice time on your half! Well done!

Nicole, you were smokin’ in the pool, holy cow! I would be ecstatic to have you 100 IM time as my 100 free time! ??

Gretchen, I’m thinking with the work you and your dad have in your house over the last few years, we’re going to need to see pictures soon! What great skills/knowledge to have!
Nice swim and congrats on the run outside (hoping soon I’ll get to do the same).

Less than a week until I head out for the remainder of my training. (6 more weeks). My bike and trainer are still in Louisville sitting in my car at the airport (hope it’s still there!). I plan to get a 2 month membership at the gym 2 doors down from my hotel. They have 2 GORGEOUS pools, one has 8 or 10 lanes and the other must have almost 20 lanes and if they swap the lines it’s a 50 yard pool. <3 they have monthly indoor tris and depending on work, maybe I can do one in March or April. That will be humbling!
Today: spin class
Yesterday: 1600 yds. (All I could get before kids had to go to school).
Sunday: 3 miles on the indoor track

Wow, those pools sound like a dream!

2019-02-13 9:17 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went to boot camp this morning. My arms are DEAD. We did this at the end https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6pkTkunq9s&feature=shareand I just couldn't hang. Got another swim on deck for tomorrow so that will fun.
2019-02-13 9:18 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Gretchen - that run method sounds like my worst nightmare.  Below 140 I'd spend the second half of each workout walking...  I know running is more stressful on the body than biking but for me it's crazy how much higher my HR is on the run...

2019-02-13 9:24 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida

Slow start to the week for me...Monday I was set to run after work, but my dearest daughter asked me to go to her school book fair with her and how could I say no to that?  By the time we got home it was dark so I figured it would just be a rest day.  Went to run yesterday after work but a nasty T-storm just rolled in.  Getting wet is fine, getting struck by lightning not so much...  Should have just ridden the trainer but reeeeaaaalllly didn't want to...  

Goals:  1. Get a workout in today no matter what.  2. Make a plan for a long outdoor bike ride this weekend (looking at you Riles ) .  3. Find some strength training I can do at home with small hand weights.  

2019-02-13 10:22 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by firebert

Gretchen - that run method sounds like my worst nightmare.  Below 140 I'd spend the second half of each workout walking...  I know running is more stressful on the body than biking but for me it's crazy how much higher my HR is on the run...

walking is def involved! If I am indoors on the track at the gym, I can run the entire thing...slowly. If I'm outside, where the terrain changes, I'm walking up even the slightest hill. Apparently, I can't hang on the hills!!

Mark Allen won his 6 Kona titles using the MAF method. Mark Allen won his 6 Kona titles using the MAF method.Mark Allen won his 6 Kona titles using the MAF method. Mark Allen won his 6 Kona titles using the MAF method. Mark Allen won his 6 Kona titles using the MAF method. Mark Allen won his 6 Kona titles using the MAF method. Mark Allen won his 6 Kona titles using the MAF method. Mark Allen won his 6 Kona titles using the MAF method. ^^me, every time I have to stop to walk^^

It is a practice in patience--the gains are supposed to be substantial, but it takes a couple of months for them to show up.
2019-02-13 10:25 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

I haven't gone that far (haven't been able to keep things under 140!) but I am approaching my offseason training with this so far - just go.  Go slow, but go.  No intervals, no speed work, no tempo work.  At first it was really hard but now I'm starting to embrace the slow.  It's a lot more refreshing (though often less rewarding.... ) to have a slow run and finish at the same speed I started.

2019-02-13 10:41 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Was just reading this article on lack of motivation for training in the winter

https://www.cycleops.com/post/blog-to-ride-or-not-to-ride-handling-lack-of-motivation

I think most of us here seem to be rocking along but I thought this was great 

"I’ve almost never regretting getting a ride done, but I’ve almost always regretted skipping a ride. 

Nobody is always excited to train all the time; that’s not a natural human state. We all struggle to get motivated at different points, and winter is one of the most common. Don’t let yourself give into demotivation. The couch will still be waiting for you when the ride is done. "

2019-02-13 11:18 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by nicole14e 100 IM: 1:11.65 - I felt awesome. Got 1st in my age group (of just me, lol), 2nd out of the women, and 5th if you count the men. We've been doing a lot of stroke/IM work at swim squad, and it definitely paid off. This was a ~4 second PR for me

Wow you are quick!

I am back after the stupor of the Superbowl and a heavy cold No riding as been too poorly or just not in work. Going to stick to public transport for the rest of the week then back on my bike next week: I've even cleaned my crankset ready to relube it for my first ride back! 

Congrats on all the workouts/races everybody! 

2019-02-13 2:44 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Thanks for the positiveity about my HM everyone. I know 3 hours is super slow, but I really think I'm seeing some improvements in my fitness. Its a long road back, but I'm excited to see what I can do in my goal races in April/June... only an hour to knock off my time haha.

The legs are now fully recovered and I'm back into normality. So far this week, a 15 minute lunchtime swim Monday (first swim of the year), commute home on the bike Wednesday, 35ish minute tempo run (10 min w/u, 15 min @ temp, 10 min c/d) Wednesday night, and a commute back to work on the bike this morning.

Should be 2 - 3 easy runs, and a long run for the rest of the week.
And maybe another return commute on the bike, depending on how the weather looks this afternoon

This is the first week I've done a swim, a bike and a run since my ironman in March 2017. Almost 2 years ago. So that's a little victory for me.
2019-02-13 2:50 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Nicole, that's some great times at your swim meet. well done.

Gretchen, I've never used the MAF method myself, but I have had success in the past with lots of slow, low heart rate running. (I used a LT field test to find my zones not 180-age) So keep it up, after a few months you will notice how much progress you have made. Currently I'm using a plan from 80:20 running, which is at least 80% of weekly volume in Z2, so I'm still doing similar to you. Although I'm using pace to manage my zones at the moment rather than heart rate.

Keep up the good work everyone.
2019-02-14 8:05 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Had a late meeting for a school project last night so didn't make it to swim this morning. Probably for the best b/c my arms are dead. It's supposed to be nice here the next 2 days so I think I'm going to do some after work runs. Then swim Saturday morning before heading up to PA.

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

2019-02-14 8:15 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by bulfrog This is the first week I've done a swim, a bike and a run since my ironman in March 2017. Almost 2 years ago. So that's a little victory for me.

That's a big milestone!!!  I'm at around 1.5 years myself, not sure yet when that will change.  Life does get in the way doesn't it :|  

2019-02-14 8:19 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Goals:  1. Get a workout in today no matter what.  2. Make a plan for a long outdoor bike ride this weekend (looking at you Riles ) .  3. Find some strength training I can do at home with small hand weights.  

Goal 1 - MET.  Got a 4 mile run in yesterday.  Gretchen I managed to keep my HR close to being under 140 the whole time!  Had a couple 'hills' (we don't really have hills in Central FL just little gradual bumps) that pushed it up to 150 so I took an extra walk break or two.  Felt great!  The temp was also right around 50F so that helps big time with feeling good for a run.

2019-02-14 12:43 PM
in reply to: #5255374

User image

, Vermont
Got up early to swim this morning, got to the pool... pool was closed due to the windows being completely covered by the snow that slid off the roof from the storm yesterday. Bugger, I hadn’t brought my sneakers to run so I headed home. Hubby wanted to run at noon so I went with him and got 3 miles in on the indoor track so all was not lost! Yay!
Beautiful day here today with the sun shining and snow glistening. I should go skiing... hmmmm.
2019-02-14 7:49 PM
in reply to: #5255437

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice outdoor run this afternoon then 90’ on the trainer ride tonight. The trainer ride was rough, but I think that might be because my diet today consisted of pizza and cookies.

I did change out my saddle today and with a few adjustments, it was much better. Not the “disappear under you” type of ride, but so much better than the other one.
2019-02-14 8:33 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Originally posted by bulfrog This is the first week I've done a swim, a bike and a run since my ironman in March 2017. Almost 2 years ago. So that's a little victory for me.

That's a big milestone!!!  I'm at around 1.5 years myself, not sure yet when that will change.  Life does get in the way doesn't it :|  

Not so much life getting in the way, as an agreement with Mrs Bullfrog to step away from multisport and just run for at least the first year of parenthood. Trying to train for 3 different sports is just too time consuming. But definitely a big milestone, as I take baby steps back towards the idea of triathlon again.

2019-02-15 9:05 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
30' run this morning. It's beautiful here today so I had to get out there. I did not make it out last night. Evening workouts are really difficult for me b/c by the time I get home from work I am starving.

Heading to PA either tonight or tomorrow. Gonna try to get a swim in if I can get into my mom's gym.
2019-02-15 9:27 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Got up early to swim this morning, got to the pool... pool was closed due to the windows being completely covered by the snow that slid off the roof from the storm yesterday. Bugger, I hadn’t brought my sneakers to run so I headed home. Hubby wanted to run at noon so I went with him and got 3 miles in on the indoor track so all was not lost! Yay!
Beautiful day here today with the sun shining and snow glistening. I should go skiing... hmmmm.

Frustrating that your pool wasn't open!! I hate it when you make your plan, get all ready, and actually drive to the gym and then something goes wrong. I'm a little confused why the windows being covered with snow would make it so you couldn't swim, but I long ago gave up trying to figure out "pool opening rules" reasoning.

Great job getting motivated later in the day though!!
2019-02-15 9:29 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

30' run this morning. It's beautiful here today so I had to get out there. I did not make it out last night. Evening workouts are really difficult for me b/c by the time I get home from work I am starving.

Heading to PA either tonight or tomorrow. Gonna try to get a swim in if I can get into my mom's gym.

After work sessions for me are hard too. When I finally get home, I don't want to go out again...not even for a workout! And...if I eat dinner first (because I'm hungry when I get home too), forget about it!! No way am I doing anything on a full stomach!
2019-02-15 9:33 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove  I did change out my saddle today and with a few adjustments, it was much better. Not the “disappear under you” type of ride, but so much better than the other one.

That's great news!!  It should be even better when you're out actually riding on the road, as the bike is not completely rigid and stationary under you. 

I hope to report the same after tomorrow, I'm in the process of cooking up a new bike trail ride.  We have so many bike trails in Central FL it's awesome.  I mean, there is the part where so many of them are only like 6 miles long...but county and state gvt continues to invest and they lengthen and connect trails.  Anyway going to try and get out for longer than 20 miles tomorrow morning.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 8103 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 975 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa