BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-02-15 5:03 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open
Hey John, I just sent you a private message with my contact info.

It's been a long, tiring week with way too much stress eating & not enough exercise. As in none. Hopefully I can meet up with John tomorrow. And I'm should be able to meet up with my tri club Sunday for a swim & run session.

2019-02-15 7:02 PM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

DeLand, Florida

5 mile run in the books today.  Completely failed at keeping things under 140 - my average was 147...  But I felt good beginning to end so that's a good sign.  Definitely felt like I could have gone faster.

Riles - got your PM and replied.

2019-02-16 6:45 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by drfoodlove Nice outdoor run this afternoon then 90’ on the trainer ride tonight. The trainer ride was rough, but I think that might be because my diet today consisted of pizza and cookies. I did change out my saddle today and with a few adjustments, it was much better. Not the “disappear under you” type of ride, but so much better than the other one.

Chuffed the saddle is better! 

2019-02-16 6:51 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by nicole14e 30' run this morning. It's beautiful here today so I had to get out there. I did not make it out last night. Evening workouts are really difficult for me b/c by the time I get home from work I am starving. Heading to PA either tonight or tomorrow. Gonna try to get a swim in if I can get into my mom's gym.

Have you thought about a end of work, pre-workout snack to tide you over? Banana, gel, bit of protein bar maybe? I usually have a banana or nak'd bar about 30 minutes before my commute as I am starving. 

2019-02-16 6:53 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Master
brummie land

My exercise last night consisted of drinking this:

Image for Staropramen Premium Czech Lager 660ml from Sainsbury's very tasty Czech lager

Back on bike Tuesday and hoping for a 10 or so mile ride on Saturday. 

2019-02-16 7:02 AM
in reply to: #5255455

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Icy/snowy 42’ shuffle in the pre-dawn this morning. We got 6” of snow last night and the roads have been plowed, but no time for the sun to warm them. I’d normally have waited some to let them warm up and clear, but dad is here again, so it had to be done early if it was getting done.

Anyone have big Saturday training plans? John and Riles—you guys meeting up for a ride?

2019-02-16 2:22 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Czech/Eastern European Pilseners are delicious!  They get a bit of a bad rap in the US because for whatever foolish reason, they tend to be shipped in green bottles which lets the light in and skunks them pretty fast.

2019-02-16 2:24 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Reasons why this board is great...  Met up with riles this morning.  Along with his 5yo son on the ride-along (he was a trooper!) we got 28 miles in.  And I got well acquainted with a small portion of the many miles of bike trails we have around here.  Awesome day!

2019-02-17 9:17 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by sappho96

My exercise last night consisted of drinking this:

Image for Staropramen Premium Czech Lager 660ml from Sainsbury's very tasty Czech lager

Back on bike Tuesday and hoping for a 10 or so mile ride on Saturday. 

I studied in Prague, and this is definitely one of the beers I drank while I was there. Super tasty!
2019-02-17 9:19 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by sappho96

Originally posted by nicole14e 30' run this morning. It's beautiful here today so I had to get out there. I did not make it out last night. Evening workouts are really difficult for me b/c by the time I get home from work I am starving. Heading to PA either tonight or tomorrow. Gonna try to get a swim in if I can get into my mom's gym.

Have you thought about a end of work, pre-workout snack to tide you over? Banana, gel, bit of protein bar maybe? I usually have a banana or nak'd bar about 30 minutes before my commute as I am starving. 

I need to find something that will work for me. I don't like gels and don't eat many protein bars, but think a Kind bar or something like that would be enough. The other trick is going to be bringing my gym stuff with me to work so I don't go home first. If I go home, game over! I drove my friend home the other day but asked him to stop with me by my house so I could change and then take him home, which is on the way to the gym. If I sit down on my couch I am done, but that definitely worked.
2019-02-17 9:22 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Was able to swim at the LA Fitness my mom goes to yesterday. It was an interesting experience that made me appreciate my gym pool so much. There were no flags, so backstroke was interesting...I had to use beams in the ceiling to count my strokes. I ended up replacing fly for back in most of my intervals to avoid banging my head. The pool was also SUPER shallow. On my knees the water only came up to just below my chest. I had to be crisp on my turns to again avoid banging my head. It was also really warm, but that doesn't bother me.

I got away unscathed, and got about 1600 yds in, but I probably won't be using that pool again...

2019-02-17 12:18 PM
in reply to: #5255521

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
A brutal 1:12 on the trainer this morning. I ended up cutting the planned ride a little short after three rounds of cramping in my right hip and hamstring. Yesterday was a brutal day of carrying rock, concrete, and dirt into and out of my basement. My dad and I finished installing the sump pump and it works like a charm! Basement is dry as a bone for the first time in three years, but my legs are just jetted.
2019-02-17 12:21 PM

User image

It was good meeting up with you John! I was worried the ride would be a little slow for you, but with all the people on the trail I don't know if we could have gone much faster. Maybe we can meet up in Apopka some time & do the West Orange Trail it has some longer open sections with less traffic.

Did a .25 mi swim & 5k run with my tri club this morning. Felt pretty good, though I started a bit fast on the run.

They did a kids Biathlon (.5 mi run, 2 mi bike, .5 mi run) that was too cute. One little girl could have only been 3-4 yo. but she ran & biked the whole thing!

Then I jumped back in the water for about another .8 mi OWS.

I start my 8 week plan for my race in April, so my goal for this week is to hit all my workouts.
2019-02-18 1:13 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Rest day here. I slept for 15 hours straight (after taking a 3 hour nap and sleeping for 12 hours straight the night before). I'm so tired of being sick. So damn tired of being sick.

Headed out of town for a conference tomorrow. I wish I didn't have to go! I just want to stay home and sleep.
2019-02-19 8:51 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hope you're feeling better, Gretchen!

Missed swim squad this morning b/c I was out a bit late last night after volleyball. I did have a few tasty beverages though.

Sunday I had the BC Brewery Cookie Puss (Oatmeal Stout).
Last night went to the Guinness brewery here in Baltimore and tried their Milk Stout, which was quite tasty. Apparently they aren't allowed to make "Guinness" as we all know it, so this is the Baltimore version of it. Then I had a Terrapin Moo Hoo Stout, which was SO tasty. Basically tasted like chocolate milk, and smelled delicious too.

So if I'm not working out, at least I'm able to share something with you all
2019-02-19 8:52 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by riles32807 It was good meeting up with you John! I was worried the ride would be a little slow for you, but with all the people on the trail I don't know if we could have gone much faster. Maybe we can meet up in Apopka some time & do the West Orange Trail it has some longer open sections with less traffic. Did a .25 mi swim & 5k run with my tri club this morning. Felt pretty good, though I started a bit fast on the run. They did a kids Biathlon (.5 mi run, 2 mi bike, .5 mi run) that was too cute. One little girl could have only been 3-4 yo. but she ran & biked the whole thing! Then I jumped back in the water for about another .8 mi OWS. I start my 8 week plan for my race in April, so my goal for this week is to hit all my workouts.

Not too slow at all - that was exactly what I was looking to do.  Had I been by myself I would have been pushing the speed the whole time and wouldn't have completed the distance.  

Where is your tri in April?  I might have to come out and spectate.  Need to have BDAS represented!

2019-02-19 8:59 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Gretchen - can't believe you're sick again!  What a miserable start to 2019 for you - get better soon!!

Nicole - those beers sound awesome!  And you're absolutely correct, we need to share more beer related stuff around here!

Weekend was great - got my 28 mile bike in with Riles on Saturday as mentioned which was awesome.  Can't wait to hit the bike trails again!  Sunday I spent the whole day at Epcot for the International Arts Festival.  Great times and of course got 12 miles in walking according to my tracker.  Monday (presidents' day) is my usual day off.  Was going to ride instead of taking the day but all the walking seems to have wrecked my calves.  Thought the normal rest day would be good. 

Today I'm going to run 4 miles.  AND hopefully retape my handlebars!

Beer - had a beer and bacon pairing at my BILs house on Saturday.  Got to try a couple new beers including Desthil's raspberry Berliner Weisse Lynnbrook (really good - not too tart or too fruity) and my boy Eric's latest DIPA - Dabble from Sixpoint (the Chief Production Officer is an old friend).  We don't get many of their beers in FL but I'm stoked to have this one on the shelves!!

2019-02-19 2:21 PM

User image

April 14th Cocoa Beach Triathlon it's a nice flat sprint, last year there were some issues with the water quality, but we still swam. We usually make it a beach weekend with the family.

Gretchen, usually sleep is my secret weapon when I get sick, sounds like you've already done that. I hope you get better.

I don't normally drink often, I drank enough in my 20s to carry me over. Now trying to loose weight, I've been drinking even less. I do have a bottle of cabernet sauvignon at home that I've been eyeing.
2019-02-21 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, everyone.  Been off the grid (again) for a bit.  My father-in-law passed away on the 9th so we've been dealing with the arrangements and untying the financials/legal stuff.  Also jacked up my back - woke up really stiff and then went through my usual training session and I've been a mess since.  Feeling a little better today.  I've been on the trainer a few times so I'm not going completely crazy.  Traveling to TX next week and my boss and I are going to drop-in at a masters practice, you know, the kind I haven't been to in almost four years.  LOL

States for my daughter is tomorrow - two hours of driving and 90 minutes of sitting around for just over a minute of swimming.  She just bought a really nice tech suit so she's hoping to come in around 1:02ish. 

2019-02-21 9:24 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

DeLand, Florida

Welcome back Mike!

Sorry for your family's loss, and for the back aggravation.  I hope everything settles back to normal soon.  And good luck to your daughter tomorrow!

2019-02-21 9:32 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

I missed my workout yesterday.  Part of life struggling with back/neck/shoulder issues, when stuff gets bad it can be incapacitating.  Had to take a muscle relaxer last night and am still feeling it now.  I like the alleviation of pain and stiffness part, but not so much feeling like Wesley after Miracle Max's pill in Princess Bride...

Image result for princess bride westley incapacitated

Today I'm going to run and then tomorrow will be my shorter trainer ride.  This weekend I will be doing a long outdoor ride and a 6 mile run, not sure which on which day just yet.  Trying to close out my January/February building of base miles.  

I did manage to retape my handlebars yesterday.  First time ever.  It went almost great.  All of it looks really good except the end part at the middle of the handlebar tops.  I need to work on that...  

2019-02-21 2:43 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by firebert

Welcome back Mike!

Sorry for your family's loss, and for the back aggravation.  I hope everything settles back to normal soon.  And good luck to your daughter tomorrow!

I second everything John said. So sorry for your loss.

Definitely let us know how your daughter does!
2019-02-21 2:46 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I have not done well this week. I started seeing someone and it has me very distracted/staying up late on dates. I need to get back into a groove, which I will hopefully be able to start tomorrow.
2019-02-21 3:41 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hey, everyone.  Been off the grid (again) for a bit.  My father-in-law passed away on the 9th so we've been dealing with the arrangements and untying the financials/legal stuff.  Also jacked up my back - woke up really stiff and then went through my usual training session and I've been a mess since.  Feeling a little better today.  I've been on the trainer a few times so I'm not going completely crazy.  Traveling to TX next week and my boss and I are going to drop-in at a masters practice, you know, the kind I haven't been to in almost four years.  LOL

States for my daughter is tomorrow - two hours of driving and 90 minutes of sitting around for just over a minute of swimming.  She just bought a really nice tech suit so she's hoping to come in around 1:02ish. 

So sorry to hear about your father in law

2019-02-21 3:42 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

And may daughter channel her inner-nicole tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 8014 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 961 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa