Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 126

2024-07-24 3:00 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by nicole14e

Like, I can do these things fine in the moment, but afterwards my body is like, WTF though? We haven't done that in a really long time!
I played a little longer than I should've and was REALLY sore last night.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA welcome to middle age!!

Seriously, I started triathlon at 32 and used to listen to people talk about recovery and how important it was, but I never had any issues. Now that I'm 45 I realize recovery is a super important part of this whole puzzle...almost like a sixth (?? swim, bike, run, transitions, nutrition...) discipline.

As for incentives to be consistent, I never feel negative incentives work (like the infamous Coors Light Penalty--nope, I'm just not gonna do that). Can you do a reward system instead? Like, if I do my XXX workout this morning, then this evening I can read my book for YYY minutes/chapters. And yes...I'm a grade A nerd...100% would reward myself with reading.

what are you reading?

2024-07-24 3:04 PM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by robertChiefsFan

Thinking out loud about the Achilles and the half marathon...There is also a 10k race option at the same race. I'm wondering if it would be worth seeing if I could downgrade my entry from the half to the 10k? Granted, the ego part of me says "don't be a quitter", but I think the more sensible part of my brain (and my wife's strong suggestions) would be to consider it.

I'm a +1 for the "considering the 10K isn't a bad idea" camp. This is your first venture back into competitive running in a while, right? No shame in easing back into it to avoid injury. I DNS a marathon in the spring due to injury about 6 weeks out and I was sorry that I hadn't thought to drop down to the HM.
2024-07-24 3:15 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I started checking out the weather forecast for Grand Rapids for race week this morning! Taper is coming!! Of course, it is too far out to get anything decent or accurate, but fun to start looking and obsessing!

Run yesterday afternoon went pretty well. I got new shoes (Brooks Ghost Max) on the advice of the physical therapist who did my gait analysis after my injury in February (they only just came out). They were super nice, but I really noticed the camber of the road and that bothered my hip/back/flank issue a bit. For the rest of my runs until MiTi I will go to the gym and run them on the track there, or will do them on the bike path (as bricks) to avoid the issue for now. Guess I'll have to get around to finding some new running routes. Blah....

This morning was a 3850yd swim with masters. All went well, except we kept doing 6x50 on a descending 5" interval time and by the end I was just swimming continuously at the interval pace to make it. Me tired after that. This afternoon I did a bike with 4x10' Z4 effort outside, which is a bit tricky to be able to do intervals when you can't control the turns/stops/traffic/etc. I had fun. Really pressed the intervals to get in a really good workout. Real confidence booster to see 29mph on a route that has precisely one hill, which is not very big, so at least most of that was all me.

I also bit the bullet and hired a sports dietitian. I am tired of having no idea if what I am doing is right or wrong. We won't start our sessions until the beginning of September, because I don't want to change anything now with my A races so close, but I'm hoping to at least learn how to figure out how many dang calories I need to be eating to fuel this training without 1.) being tired or 2.) gaining weight. I'm up some from last year and I don't like that at all.
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 126

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 993 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland