Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 140

2024-07-31 10:15 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Looks alike my longest swim ever was last year’s MiTi, which was 4608yds. The buoys blew out of position over night and the sun was blinking everyone on one side of the lake, so sighting was a bit tough. It did not feel as good as this morning did! For the pool, today was my longest day.

Man, that would be depressing to get out of a swim and see your time when you had ended up swimming 800m over distance. I know its the same for everyone, but damn!

My longest swims are Ironman NZ, 3,800m. I've never used my garmin on the swim in an Ironman, so not sure how many extra meters I swam. Longest in the pool is 3,000m. But I'm a lazy swimmer and should do longer than that.

2024-07-31 10:32 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Today is the 1st August. And that means I did it. 31/31 days doing a short bodyweight workout.

Because tri geeks like numbers:

3hr 52 minutes of S/M for the month
2,245 total reps done. including:
400 Deadbugs,
425 Pushups,
420 Squats +180 bulgarian split squats
13 minutes of planking
and various others...

Pretty confident the habit of doing some strength work is officially formed, next step is to increase the duration / #of sets and reps per workout, but do them a bit less frequently. I'm thinking something like a 15 minute routine 4 times a week after a workout, rather than 5-10 minutes every day is a good next step.
2024-07-31 10:51 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Very busy week on here. I've had 2 trips away for work this week, so been a bit hectic.

@Mike and Nicole, Nice photo. And good to confirm that we're not all Gretchens imaginary friends And yes Nicole, that is fair 1/2 horu late but still swimming for 90 minutes is still impressive.

@Robert, Glad that your achilles is behaving itself. Just err on the side of caution for now. Lots of time for your HM training plan.

@Nat. Yup, all past Nats are going down.

Living somewhere were a tornado shelter is something that you expect you're going to need is a silly idea. Sorry Gretchen and Robert, but it's a big country, and there are parts of it that don't have tornados

The Olympic Triathlon, The time zones worked very well for me on this one. The women started at 6pm NZ time, so I got to watch both races. That swim was nuts. Apart from how clean or not the river was, seeing how slow the upstream segments were, well I don't think I would have made it out of the water. Gutsy effort from our kiwi boy Hayden, but you have to give it to Yee, he paced that run perfectly, unbelievable kick at the end. I'm looking forward to the relay in a couple of days. (Assuming all the athletes aren't down with Gastro after the swim) They are crazy races.
2024-08-01 6:39 AM
in reply to: #5289506

User image

@Andrew you preempted my question for today, nicely done. I was going ask how dumb would it be to attempt a short brick tomorrow morning if everything felt good. (10 mile ride and 3 mile run to simulate race day). I know I probably shouldn't, but I also do dumb things now and then.
Also, great job on the 31/31 strength training.

Day off from cycling or running. Going to play some golf with brother and sister in law. Then hit the gym later. (I haven't golfed in 2 years...this outta be interesting.
2024-08-01 6:48 AM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Andrew, great job on the body strength streak! Impressive. My own streak is on day 3. not so impressive.

yes Robert, agree with Andrew, do not do stupid things. Enjoy the golf!
2024-08-01 7:56 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Andrew, great job on the body strength streak! Impressive. My own streak is on day 3. not so impressive.

Since when has that been the rule around here?!?!?!

2024-08-01 9:41 AM
in reply to: #5289510

User image

Well, golf went about as well as expected after 2 years not playing. 55 on 9 holes and only lost 1 ball.
2024-08-01 10:26 AM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
60' Tempo run for me this morning. It is still soupy outside. I can't wait to leave for Michigan, where the temp is currently 20F lower than it is here and the humidity is 20% less. Later today, at some point, I will do a 60' tempo ride. When will be dependent on when my wife says I can ride my bike in her office, because there is 0% chance I am going outside unnecessarily today.

July Totals
Swim 36,333.95yds 15:56:17 (+5.7% distance; +10.2% time)
Bike 590.91mi 35:36:00 (+28.8% distance; +13.3% time--MUST mean I'm getting faster, right?!!?!?)
Run 67.28 mi 15:47:12 (-17.4% distance; -15.1% time--we don't talk about run speeds in this household)
Strength 4:54 (+92.2%)

Total 72.2251 (+8.0%)

Overall I feel really good about the month of July, especially considering it includes 5 unscheduled rest days due to dysfunctional fascia (or, whatever a real doctor would have diagnosed if I had gone to anyone other than Dr. Google).
2024-08-01 10:31 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

Looks alike my longest swim ever was last year’s MiTi, which was 4608yds. The buoys blew out of position over night and the sun was blinking everyone on one side of the lake, so sighting was a bit tough. It did not feel as good as this morning did! For the pool, today was my longest day.

Man, that would be depressing to get out of a swim and see your time when you had ended up swimming 800m over distance. I know its the same for everyone, but damn!

My longest swims are Ironman NZ, 3,800m. I've never used my garmin on the swim in an Ironman, so not sure how many extra meters I swam. Longest in the pool is 3,000m. But I'm a lazy swimmer and should do longer than that.

It was only an extra 400yds (~360m), but yes, it was disappointing to start the race 10' behind my swim goal. I knew something was wrong though from the last turn, when my watch alerted to the 4000yd mark and I was no where near the beach. At the time, I thought it was just terrible sighting on the two legs (two loop course) where we were staring into the sun and couldn't see the turn buoy until you practically ran into it (or a nice kayaker told you you were way off course). Wasn't until later that other athletes compared watched and figured out the buoys were off (and then the RD admitted things has gone awry in the night and they didn't fix them).
2024-08-01 10:53 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Since when has that been the rule around here?!?!?!

Don’t worry Gretchen, there are plenty of other stupid things that are allowed
2024-08-01 12:37 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Mike - I gotcha! I thought you meant post-triathlon but you just mean in general

Nat - that is my kind of workout! I love a good sprint workout.

Robert - re: the long swim...I would die of boredom/insanity long before I got anywhere close to Gretchen's distance! I am a sprinter through and through, so anything over a 200 is already a mental struggle for me. I need lots of short stuff to be able to do a long workout.

Andrew - AMAZING JOB on the strength!!!
Let's do it for August! I'm in for this month and putting it on my calendar so it's a daily reminder to do it!

Robert - re: doing dumb things...don't we all? lol
Non-endurance sport people probably think that's every day we are swimming, biking and running, lol

Gretchen - incredible month! And we'll just call run speed Bruno from now on. We don't talk about Bruno...

2024-08-01 12:41 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I'm having a bit of a weird week, and just realized it today. I feel really off. I've felt like I'm in a fog the last week or so. I cried at the orthodontist yesterday (that might just be a lady thing though...). And just feel like I'm completely out of it this week. I don't know, it's quite strange so wanted to share. I'm sure I'll snap out of it in a day or two.

Anyway, I played pickleball last night for probably about an hour. Hip felt good but I'm still very aware of it.

And I'm committing to strength every day for the month of August with Andrew, for a minimum of 5 minutes! This is the month! Who else is in?! Nat's already 3 days in!
2024-08-01 12:51 PM

User image

Originally posted by nicole14e

Robert - re: doing dumb things...don't we all? lol
Non-endurance sport people probably think that's every day we are swimming, biking and running, lol

True, but inside our own particular brand of dumb, we are, admittedly, capable of even more incredible dumb, due to our more type-A "push ourselves till we keel over and puke"...so inside our dumb, there are additional levels of dumb. (like thinking about a brick while healing from Achilles soreness)
2024-08-01 1:55 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I'm having a bit of a weird week, and just realized it today. I feel really off. I've felt like I'm in a fog the last week or so. I cried at the orthodontist yesterday (that might just be a lady thing though...). And just feel like I'm completely out of it this week. I don't know, it's quite strange so wanted to share. I'm sure I'll snap out of it in a day or two.

Well, who doesn’t cry at the orthodontist? Seriously, I get these episodes too when I’m down and sad for no particular reasons. I just allow myself to be sad, I don’t fight it, it usually goes over in a couple of days.
2024-08-01 3:38 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, all.  Busy week around here with work being nuts as we roll out our strategy refresh AND sales messaging update, plus training and watching the Olympics.  That last second come-from-behind win in women's rugby sevens for the US against the Aussies was nuts.  And as usual those aliens in the pool aren't disappointing at all.

Got in a tempo/interval run this morning on the treadmill, so much easier on the TM to get my pacing right, 4 miles total.  Then a bunch of core work.  It's like 100 degrees again here so no interest in going outside.  Swim and yoga tomorrow before New York this weekend.  Lots to catch up on here!  Great to see our little part of the interwebs so busy.  Good July for me:

Swim: 7h 38m 12s - 17920.33 Yd <<about time I found the pool
Bike: 7h 56m 18s - 141.06 Mi <<this is not good
Run: 9h 02m 33s - 50.54 Mi <<< so happy to be churning out these ~50 mile months
Strength: 9h 37m << solid month

August is going to be super hard at the beginning and the end with a mini-recovery as I have work travel and a trip to London to see Taylor Swift over a 10 day period. 

@Andrew - really nice work on the streak and I'm glad you are feeling the benefits - it's been long enough to be a habit so keep it up!  (and love the geeking out tracking every rep)

@Robert:  55 is nothing to be ashamed about when dusty off the clubs for a while, my wife and I barely beat that playing best ball last month; like the picture but smile next time

@Nicole:  after this week with my invisalign trays, I'd cry too at the ortho - this week was brutal (#40...worst soreness I've had so far); I think I'm naturally a sprinter in the pool, too, but I also don't mind long sessions - I've done like 3500 by myself before but it's WAY more fun in a group setting that's for sure

@Nat:  I like the little fartlek speed workout you were doing...might do something like that during a recovery or taper week

@Gretchen:  we majored in stupid around here, but I think we keep it down to bachelor's degree level

Hope everyone is having a great week!

2024-08-01 4:58 PM

User image

@Mike I will work on a better selfie for you. LOL!

Strength training today at the gym. Going to try an easy 3 mile run tomorrow morning.

2024-08-01 8:45 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Nicole:  after this week with my invisalign trays, I'd cry too at the ortho - this week was brutal (#40...worst soreness I've had so far); I think I'm naturally a sprinter in the pool, too, but I also don't mind long sessions - I've done like 3500 by myself before but it's WAY more fun in a group setting that's for sure

You DO get it! I'm on my 3rd set of trays. Went to pick them up yesterday and was told there were 18 more trays (first set was 46, second was 14, with 6-8 weeks between each set). I was just feeling frustrated and burnt out from it b/c I thought I would be done by now. But yes, the soreness can also be so intense. I think this last set is going to hurt pretty bad for me, lots of movement on my top teeth, but hoping to be done by October (fingers crossed!).
2024-08-01 8:45 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Day 1 of strength DONE!
2024-08-01 8:54 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
And I'm committing to strength every day for the month of August with Andrew, for a minimum of 5 minutes! This is the month! Who else is in?! Nat's already 3 days in!

Best of luck with committing to a workout every day for the month. But, I ended my streak at 31 days, 1st Aug was no strength workout. I think the streak achieved what I wanted it to, i.e. get me used to the idea of doing strength workouts regularly, but long term I'm pretty sure that having some days were I don't do a workout will give better recovery, and long term results. I've picked up a couple of minor injuries the last couple of weeks (elbow last week which has improved, knee this week which has yet to improve) which I blame on the strength stuff... going from 0 to too much too fast isn't great. This month I'll be aiming for 4-5 sessions per week and a total of over 4 hours for the month.

Good luck for your streak though, you can do it. FWIW, more than one occasion I was already in bed, realised 'oh crap, I forgot my bodyweight stuff' got up and back to the lounge to do some pushups and squats. Haha, somehow you can find a way to get it done.
2024-08-01 9:20 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Gretchen. Awesome month, especially with 5 days off, so almost a weeks break. And yes, we do stupid things. But, we advise people to be smarter than ourselves and not do the stupid thing.

@Nicole. Well done on getting day 1 in the books, what exercises are you doing? My advice is to mix things up a bit so you're not doing exactly the same every day. Sorry your having a weird week like that, I reckon you need to jump in the pool or something and hit some high intensity intervals. Get that endorphin hit into your body.

@Robert. Golf sounds like it was the right decision for the day. Good luck on your run tomorrow, knock on wood it's another achilles issue fee one.

@Mike, Solid month for you too. Welcome to the joys of rugby, and on behalf of the rest of the world thank you, when Australia loses a rugby game an angel gets its wings I don't like tempo/interval stuff on the treadmill, my RPE and the TM pace don't line up at all, I'm never sure if I'm in the right zone.

My July:
Swim, x3, 55minutes, 2,000m (Officially back in the pool, so that's a win)
Bike, x7, 5hr 25min, all zwift miles (Same as above, it's a win)
Run, x23, 20hr 16 min, 155km (we also don't talk about run speed)

S&M, x34 separate activities, 3hr 52 minutes.

30hr 28 minutes for the month. Happy with that for the beginning of this next cycle.

My Week,

Pretty quiet so far, 4 easy treadmill runs Monday - Thursday and a swim before work this morning. Big weekend coming up with 2-3 bikes, 1 interval run and my first training run greater than a half marathon length on the plan. So, 3 big days, then a rest week.

2024-08-02 7:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey Andrew, makes total sense re: taking a break (and having regularly scheduled rest days!). And thanks for the advice re: doing different things. Last night was random, I did some core, some squats, a couple pushups before remembering how much I hate them, and I got this mat recently https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07664K1CW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_produc... so did some toe taps and such (it's tricky to stabilize so also does some core work).

I think I'm going to alternate upper and lower body, and then on days where I need a break, just do some core since you can really do that any day. I'll probably do some Peloton classes, though I did this last night while watching incredibly fit volleyball players represent our country (and just after watching gymnastics). They are super inspiring!

Also, awesome month!

Edited by nicole14e 2024-08-02 7:49 AM

2024-08-02 9:26 AM

User image

Nice month of July everyone! Even with various small injuries and stuff going on!

My 3 mile run ended up being a tempo run, as everything felt so good and strong. Very happy with the sub-30 time, even if it is at race pace.

Also, new selfie (with a smile) for everyone, just because. My brother in law has his pilots license and owns his own plane, and took me and the kids flying this morning. First time for the kids in an airplane.

(PXL_20240802_122139996.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
PXL_20240802_122139996.jpg (1642KB - 9 downloads)
2024-08-02 12:15 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
If a triathlete obsesses over her race plan, and there is no one around to listen, did it even happen?

2:45 brick today. Felt ok…but only just ok. The first half of the ride was hilly and the second half was super windy, so there was no just settling in and enjoying smashing it out at 19-20mph. The run was meh…

New saddle top arrived today…while I was riding. Oh well. I’ll get it on and have a few rides with it before the race.
2024-08-03 4:56 PM
in reply to: #5289531

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
45’ run and 1950yd swim. Both were fine. Now watching the men’s road race…and by watching, I mean napping and occasionally opening an eye to see if anything interesting is happening.
2024-08-04 7:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

8 hour Midwest drive home yesterday (glad to be home). Rest day today, then back at it tomorrow.
I'm going to try the customizable half marathon training plan offered through the Runna app for a couple weeks and see what I think. Starts with a long run of 4.5 miles. We'll see. Everything is feeling good this morning.

Edited by robertChiefsFan 2024-08-04 7:52 AM
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 140

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1053 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland