Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2009-02-13 9:11 AM
in reply to: #1857242

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Ian- have a great race!

Ian,

I like this nutrition plan. I used it in the past and like you said, it is simple and works. One thing I might add that you are probably doing is taking the gels with water only. I found that sports drinks do not digest them as well. IE...take a few sips of water, gel, water. Then, your next drinks several minutes later can be the sports drink. You might find that you need one gel and water on the run but if you feel you don't, you probably don't. Just remember race rule #1....nothing new on race day!

HAVE A GREAT RACE and we look forward to the race report!

TEAM- let's cheer him on!!

Tony

2009-02-13 9:14 AM
in reply to: #1958676

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: tribesman's group - FULL
swise - 2009-02-12 11:04 AM

afrutoz - 2009-02-11 4:52 PM

Question about a Garmin 305

I am thinking about buying one.  I want to be able to use it both for the bike and the run.  I wanted to know if any of you use one and what exactly I need to buy so I can use it both as a running monitor and as a bike monitor with cadence.  Thanks

I have one and love it. I use mine for bike and run - but to get cadence on the bike you have to purchase an additional piece that goes on your bike. I have had it for a year and still learning how to utilize all the functions. I don't swim with mine for fear of damaging it (have heard that you can swim up to 30 min w/it but I'm not wealthy enough to take that chance). With the 405 out now you should be able to get a pretty good deal on a used one. Good luck shopping!

I've personally never used it but I have training partners who love it. I agree it should probably NOT be worn in the water (for too long at least). One thing to consider is this...if you plan to race with it, what's your plan from swim to bike to run re the device? Yes, you can of course have it on your bike and take it with you on the run, but it's just something to think about. Just wanted to toss that out there...

Thanks,
Tony
2009-02-14 4:32 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: weekend
Team,

Have a great long weekend of training and racing and we look forward to chatting soon!

Tony
2009-02-15 10:43 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: race prep
Team,

Unfortunately with my business travel and illness we did not get to cover our topic, race prep, as well as I wanted. Let's move it to the end of our mentor program or sometime next month.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

===========================

- What goals did we meet?
- Any set-backs?
- Lessons learned?

Tony
2009-02-16 8:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville

I had a good weekend with some interesting issues.  Went to Silver Comet trail to ride and to watch the Time Trials.  I got to see lots of folks I knew so it was really cool.  I then did a 30 mile ride in 1:45.  Both my hubby and I experienced something odd for us.  Neither of us ate before we rode, we got a let start and I don't think I drank enough water.  I felt real tired at the end of my ride.   Then when we got home we both really hit the wall fatigue wise.  I just felt beyond drained. I have never felt so wiped out like this feeling was.  The kids wanted to go out to eat so we literally dragged ourselves to a restaurant.  Then, once we ate, we were both amazed at how much better we felt.  I mean it really was a noticable difference.  Before this experience we both thought that A) we did not really train enough that food would make such a difference and B) that were were frankly fat enough that not eating before a workout wouldn't bother us..So I really learned a valuable lesson this weekend that even if you are fat, you need to eat before doing a training session and immediatly afterwards.

I think a lingering effect from saturday was that I felt crappy when I started my trail run yesturday and it showed in my mileage (6.4 in an hour and a half)  I think this was a combination of poor nutrition and still recovering from the cold.   

I still am struggling with terrible eating habits  but each day I will keep trying to get back on the horse so to speak...Can you say addict? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results...

2009-02-16 11:45 AM
in reply to: #1964107

Expert
Atlanta, GA
afrutoz - 2009-02-16 9:25 AM

I had a good weekend with some interesting issues.  Went to Silver Comet trail to ride and to watch the Time Trials.  I got to see lots of folks I knew so it was really cool.  I then did a 30 mile ride in 1:45.  Both my hubby and I experienced something odd for us.  Neither of us ate before we rode, we got a let start and I don't think I drank enough water.  I felt real tired at the end of my ride.   Then when we got home we both really hit the wall fatigue wise.  I just felt beyond drained. I have never felt so wiped out like this feeling was.  The kids wanted to go out to eat so we literally dragged ourselves to a restaurant.  Then, once we ate, we were both amazed at how much better we felt.  I mean it really was a noticable difference.  Before this experience we both thought that A) we did not really train enough that food would make such a difference and B) that were were frankly fat enough that not eating before a workout wouldn't bother us..So I really learned a valuable lesson this weekend that even if you are fat, you need to eat before doing a training session and immediatly afterwards.

I think a lingering effect from saturday was that I felt crappy when I started my trail run yesturday and it showed in my mileage (6.4 in an hour and a half)  I think this was a combination of poor nutrition and still recovering from the cold.   

I still am struggling with terrible eating habits  but each day I will keep trying to get back on the horse so to speak...Can you say addict? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results...

Alison,

It sounds like you and hubby experienced something that is more common than you think. Endurance athletes refer to this is as "bonking". It occurs when you do not have enough fuel/calories to sustain your current activity levels. Your blood sugar was likely thrown way off in the process.

Here are some things that might help you next time. If I am riding after a medium sized meal, I will wait 1-2 hours maybe take a gel with water 20 mins before I start. If I am eating only something light, I will wait maybe 30 minutes to one hour as I can digest things pretty quickly. During activity, I usually consume 1 gel every 20 mins with water and supplement with a sports drink for the electrolytes. Keep in mind that if you are training for more than one hour (like your 1:45 hour ride), you will need electrolyes from a sports drink (Gatoraid, Poweraid, etc...). I target about 275 calories per hour on the bike but that number varies from athlete to athlete. Some need a little less, others need more. (I have been recently training with Infinit nutrition on longer rides/runs and like it. It is all liquid vs. gels)

*Maybe give 300 calories per hour a shot and see how that works. That equates to about 3 gels per hour (one every 20 minutes with WATER) PLUS a sports drink.

**Keep in mind you still will likely need electrolyes in the form of sports drink, not just gels and water. (especially as it starts to warm up)

***You mention you were suprised your body did not pull on the stored energy. Keep in mind that our bodies can only use so much energy from stored fuel in the forms of carbs, protein and fats. You were feeling the effects of what happens after your body used up those stored sources.

Lastly, you said you were still not happy with your current nutritional plan. Have you removed all of the "bad stuff" from the fridge and cubbard? That is a good start as if it is not there, you cannot eat it
-Are you eating your three main meals and supplimenting with a mid-morning snack and mid-afternoon one too? I like the KING, PRINCE, PAUPER methodology for eating. That is, eat breakfast like a KING (a larger meal), lunch like a PRINCE (medium sized), and a smaller, nutritious, sensible dinner. Snacks are in between.

Let us know how this works!

Tony

2009-02-16 2:40 PM

User image

Georgia Tech
Hey everybody! The race was awesome! I'll write up the race report after the results are posted online for you guys. I got a lot to do for school today, but I'll be back tomorrow! Train hard!
2009-02-16 8:49 PM
in reply to: #1964884

Expert
Atlanta, GA
theiframe - 2009-02-16 3:40 PM

Hey everybody! The race was awesome! I'll write up the race report after the results are posted online for you guys. I got a lot to do for school today, but I'll be back tomorrow! Train hard!

Ian,

Glad to hear it was awesome and can't wait to see the RR!

Tony
2009-02-17 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran

Glad you had a good race look forward to the Race Report.

I on the other hand ...had a crapy weekend..was not moivated to do anything...so I didnt. Did some work around the house (painting bathroom) Friday and Saturday, watched the race on Sunday. Did not swim, bike or run or workout, just didnt feel like it. The 40 minute ride on Monday (holiday here in Ontario) was a crap unmotivated ride.

I will be going for  a swim and run today though. After talking with you guys about the swim coach idea, I have contacted a coach ( she has done INKY ) and I will meet with her next Monday for some swimming help. If I like her coaching skills and mind set I might get her to coach me through 09 (depending on$$)

2009-02-17 3:12 PM
in reply to: #1966302

Expert
Atlanta, GA
natebs - 2009-02-17 12:20 PM

I on the other hand ...had a crapy weekend..was not moivated to do anything...so I didnt. Did some work around the house (painting bathroom) Friday and Saturday, watched the race on Sunday. Did not swim, bike or run or workout, just didnt feel like it. The 40 minute ride on Monday (holiday here in Ontario) was a crap unmotivated ride.

I will be going for  a swim and run today though. After talking with you guys about the swim coach idea, I have contacted a coach ( she has done INKY ) and I will meet with her next Monday for some swimming help. If I like her coaching skills and mind set I might get her to coach me through 09 (depending on$$)

Nate,

Don't let this weekend get to you my friend. It happens to all of us (me especially during the winter). I bet it was your body and mind telling you to take a couple of days off.

Spring is just around the corner and the season is young...

Tony
2009-02-17 3:31 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: injuries and prevention
Team,

We have touched on this topic but let's expand a little further with it. Let's discuss injuries related to tri and ways to prevent them, as well as things we are doing/can do to help them.

When I first started training for tris, I had nagging knee pains. Long story short, I developed patella tendonitis and had to eventually go through two rounds of physical therapy (PT)! I could not train or race and it upset me. However, I was a good athlete and went to PT twice a week and did my exerices at home too. This eventually became once a week at PT and twice a week at home re exercises. Today, I still do my exercises to maintain my strength.

So...specific exercises and a lot of core work helped me. I think a key to preventing injuries is staying strong through weight training, nutrition, and knowing when to say "when". Lastly, recovery is HUGE when it comes to helping us stay healthy.

Let's hear your thoughts!

Tony

Edited by tribesman 2009-02-17 3:31 PM

2009-02-17 6:09 PM

User image

Georgia Tech
Race report is up! I'll try and get my pictures uploaded soon. 
2009-02-17 6:14 PM
in reply to: #1966913

User image

Georgia Tech
Subject: RE: injuries and prevention

tribesman - 2009-02-17 4:31 PM Team, We have touched on this topic but let's expand a little further with it. Let's discuss injuries related to tri and ways to prevent them, as well as things we are doing/can do to help them. When I first started training for tris, I had nagging knee pains. Long story short, I developed patella tendonitis and had to eventually go through two rounds of physical therapy (PT)! I could not train or race and it upset me. However, I was a good athlete and went to PT twice a week and did my exerices at home too. This eventually became once a week at PT and twice a week at home re exercises. Today, I still do my exercises to maintain my strength. So...specific exercises and a lot of core work helped me. I think a key to preventing injuries is staying strong through weight training, nutrition, and knowing when to say "when". Lastly, recovery is HUGE when it comes to helping us stay healthy. Let's hear your thoughts! Tony

I struggled with shin splints when I first started training and started getting into running. I did a lot of research on it and found that icing immediately afterwards helps a lot. I also found stretches and exercises that help strengthen the shins. After about two weeks I was able to fun 5k without any shin splints. Now I'm completely free of that problem. Only every once in a while do I get a little bit of tightness while running downhill for a long period of time on concrete. 

As for recovery, I drink chocolate milk and try to get a little bit of protein in after my workouts. Usually a peanut butter sandwich, yogurt with fresh fruit and organic granola, or something like that. When doing 2 a days I will usually take a recovery drink like Recoverite. Those are also great when I'm in a rush and don't have a whole lot of time. 

2009-02-17 6:16 PM
in reply to: #1966302

User image

Georgia Tech
natebs - 2009-02-17 12:20 PM

Yeah Nate, sometimes the motivation is just not there. Especially dealing with the cold weather you're in. I hate having to go out when it's below 60. Usually after weekends like this though, you may be refreshed and more motivated to go out this week. Keep up the hard work!  

2009-02-18 1:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville

This reply is for Nate:

Nate I too have times when I just get burned out and sick of training.  One way I find that helps me get re-motivated is to go to places where I can be around athletes.  For example, if there is any kind of race (running or biking) in your area, go be a spectator.  If no races, then just go to your local bike shop or tri shop and hang around.  Sometimes just seeing the other people gets me back into wanting to train.  I am also a show off at heart and I like going to my local gym and either riding on their bike or taking a spin class.  Knowing other people are looking at me gets my competative nature going so I find I ride faster/harder just to show off...It sounds pretty lame but it really does work to get me back into training when I get the winter blues.....

I also like getting the magazines and having them around my house...They are a solid constant reminder that on this rainy cold day some other guy IS going to go out and train, that guy may be in my next race so I better get off my butt and go train too...

Hope these suggestions help...You have it tough being stuck indoors but then again it will make you spring training all the stronger!

2009-02-18 2:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville

This reply is about injury:

Being a 40 year old woman I have to be realistic about injury.  I have to say the main reason I hired a coach was so that I did things right and did not overtrain.  The one problem I have had so far is a nagging problem with the top of my hamstring.  Its hasn't been much of a problem except that it was causing me problems with my left foot.  I have added some arch supports and they seem to have helped a lot with the foot pain.  I also researched like crazy about foot problems and got some excercises and suggestions.  I also do not go barefoot anymore, ever, even when i first get out of bed in the morning. I have arch supports in my work shoes.  On days I have to be in heels, I added support in my shoes and I get them off the minute I am out of the courtroom.  I have added a bit of yoga and pilates to help core strength but I think my swimming has helped a lot with core as well.  I have noticed that I hear a scraping sound when I run and it sounds like my left heel may be striking.  I know that as I go more distance in the next few weeks this will likely add to foot problems.  I am trying to find out an excercise to help me correct this.  The weird part is I did not do it before so I think it may be due to some overall weakness caused by the hamstring.  

I find that I can get tons of help and info about preventing injury and dealing with it from the internet and other athletes.  I think common sense, research, lots of warming up and streaching after and not over training is the best RX to avoid injury.  Then again, being relatively new (I have only be seriously training for about 9 months) I probably haven't gotten into the "overuse" injury portion...

My only overuse injury is carpel tunnel syndrome from being on this website too muchKiss

2009-02-18 6:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
we all feel burned out sometimes - just be mindful that sometimes you need a break and other times if you just push through and do the workout you may actually feel better after. That is most common for me in the morning. I HATE getting up at 4:30 to go to the pool. Leaving a warm bed is torture -- but, 9 times out of 10 I am so glad I did b/c of how I feel after a good swim. Same for an evening run after a long day -- I may dread it, but usually I will be glad I went once out there. Don't get me wrong - if your body truly needs a break - take one.

to me the best prevention for injuries has been stretching. The few times I have had problems (insertional achilles tendanitous (SP?) / tight hamstring) it has been attributable to lack of proper stretching. As someone who seems to always be in a rush b/c of the next obligation scheduled for the day I have to force myself to stretch - sometimes I'm successful and sometimes not.

I have aquired one of the foam rollers that Tony and Dan were talking about several weeks back and I LOVE IT!! I would encourage anyone who doens't have one yet to go pick it up. I use it just about every night and it feels great!

the only other injury prevention experience I have had goes to having the proper size equipment - be that shoes, bike... I didn't realize it but part of my achilles issue related to not wearing the right size shoe. I have worn a 7.5 for YEARS!! That is just my size. But, when I went to get a shoe fitting just after pulling my achilles I learned that for running I actually need an 8. What a difference a half a size made in my comfort running. I think the same would go for a bike fit / purchasing the correct size bike also - by not having things adjusted to your size you put improper strain on muscles that can lead to discomfort / injury.
2009-02-19 6:48 AM

User image

Veteran

Thanks everyone for your uplefting words, this week is already beter.Laughing

I also started listing to a positive thinking CD. I listen to it on my to and from work (about 40 minute drive each way). I noticed a big difference yesturday after some light meditation with the CD. I will let you know how that progresses. Have a great day everyone and thanks again.

2009-02-19 6:50 AM

User image

Veteran

Oh ya, some upsetting news at work yesturday, They laid off some staff and are reducing our pay by 10% and reducing the work week by one day in every ten.

Good news is that it gives me an extra full training day.

Good news is that I`m still working.

2009-02-19 9:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville

Nate:  I know all about the stress of the current economy.  My hubby gets his entire income from the stock market so its been pretty scary at our house too.  Each month they lay off more and more people from his job and each time its miserable.  This is a once in a lifetime economy and we all will feel affects of it.  Your attitude is perfect..you have to stay positive and I have found NOT watching the news makes me a lot happier...We all have to try to look at the positives..One thing is that life will be simple again and another is that maybe our kids will grow up with a better focus and better values.  For the past decade I think our whole culture was that everyone owned a nice house, owned a fancy car and took expensive vacations.  Our kids were getting the constant message that to be somebody you had to have 'bling', roll in a benz and dress like a stripper...maybe now our kids will be forced to accept that most of us don't and will never live like that... 

Tne thing about doing tri's is that it can get expensive and even if you are frugal, it costs money that a lot of people in this economy just plain don't have.  So my challenge queston to the group is to put out suggestions on how to same money on races, equipment and travel expenses...

2009-02-19 9:17 PM
in reply to: #1967150

Expert
Atlanta, GA
theiframe - 2009-02-17 7:09 PM

Race report is up! I'll try and get my pictures uploaded soon. 

Team, here is Ian's RR in case you couldn't find it under Race Reports.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Ian, now that you had a little more time to reflect on the race, I have questions.

- What are 3 things you were most proud of or like the most?

- What are 3 things you would like to improve on for the next race?

I have some overall thoughts but want to hear from you first. GREAT race! I am impressed and would have been running scared if we went head to head!

Tony

2009-02-19 9:21 PM
in reply to: #1967158

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: injuries and prevention
theiframe - 2009-02-17 7:14 PM

tribesman - 2009-02-17 4:31 PM Team, We have touched on this topic but let's expand a little further with it. Let's discuss injuries related to tri and ways to prevent them, as well as things we are doing/can do to help them. When I first started training for tris, I had nagging knee pains. Long story short, I developed patella tendonitis and had to eventually go through two rounds of physical therapy (PT)! I could not train or race and it upset me. However, I was a good athlete and went to PT twice a week and did my exerices at home too. This eventually became once a week at PT and twice a week at home re exercises. Today, I still do my exercises to maintain my strength. So...specific exercises and a lot of core work helped me. I think a key to preventing injuries is staying strong through weight training, nutrition, and knowing when to say "when". Lastly, recovery is HUGE when it comes to helping us stay healthy. Let's hear your thoughts! Tony

I struggled with shin splints when I first started training and started getting into running. I did a lot of research on it and found that icing immediately afterwards helps a lot. I also found stretches and exercises that help strengthen the shins. After about two weeks I was able to fun 5k without any shin splints. Now I'm completely free of that problem. Only every once in a while do I get a little bit of tightness while running downhill for a long period of time on concrete. 

As for recovery, I drink chocolate milk and try to get a little bit of protein in after my workouts. Usually a peanut butter sandwich, yogurt with fresh fruit and organic granola, or something like that. When doing 2 a days I will usually take a recovery drink like Recoverite. Those are also great when I'm in a rush and don't have a whole lot of time. 

Great points re icing and stretching. I am a HUGE believer in both. I agree that running on concrete for extended periods is bad (and probably the worst surface for running).

Re recovery, I have also tested mine with Boost and Ensure as a "just in case" measure...ie, forgetting my Endurox. It seemed to work pretty well in a pinch.
2009-02-19 9:25 PM
in reply to: #1968884

Expert
Atlanta, GA
afrutoz - 2009-02-18 2:24 PM

This reply is for Nate:

Nate I too have times when I just get burned out and sick of training.  One way I find that helps me get re-motivated is to go to places where I can be around athletes.  For example, if there is any kind of race (running or biking) in your area, go be a spectator.  If no races, then just go to your local bike shop or tri shop and hang around.  Sometimes just seeing the other people gets me back into wanting to train.  I am also a show off at heart and I like going to my local gym and either riding on their bike or taking a spin class.  Knowing other people are looking at me gets my competative nature going so I find I ride faster/harder just to show off...It sounds pretty lame but it really does work to get me back into training when I get the winter blues.....

I also like getting the magazines and having them around my house...They are a solid constant reminder that on this rainy cold day some other guy IS going to go out and train, that guy may be in my next race so I better get off my butt and go train too...

Hope these suggestions help...You have it tough being stuck indoors but then again it will make you spring training all the stronger!

Great points, Alison! I agree that getting around other athletes can help boost motivation. I find that (most) triathletes especially have a way of being positive and motivating others. Magazines and books related to multisport helps me too. I am looking a several next to my bed right now!
2009-02-19 9:30 PM
in reply to: #1969058

Expert
Atlanta, GA
afrutoz - 2009-02-18 3:18 PM

This reply is about injury:

Being a 40 year old woman I have to be realistic about injury.  I have to say the main reason I hired a coach was so that I did things right and did not overtrain.  The one problem I have had so far is a nagging problem with the top of my hamstring.  Its hasn't been much of a problem except that it was causing me problems with my left foot.  I have added some arch supports and they seem to have helped a lot with the foot pain.  I also researched like crazy about foot problems and got some excercises and suggestions.  I also do not go barefoot anymore, ever, even when i first get out of bed in the morning. I have arch supports in my work shoes.  On days I have to be in heels, I added support in my shoes and I get them off the minute I am out of the courtroom.  I have added a bit of yoga and pilates to help core strength but I think my swimming has helped a lot with core as well.  I have noticed that I hear a scraping sound when I run and it sounds like my left heel may be striking.  I know that as I go more distance in the next few weeks this will likely add to foot problems.  I am trying to find out an excercise to help me correct this.  The weird part is I did not do it before so I think it may be due to some overall weakness caused by the hamstring.  

I find that I can get tons of help and info about preventing injury and dealing with it from the internet and other athletes.  I think common sense, research, lots of warming up and streaching after and not over training is the best RX to avoid injury.  Then again, being relatively new (I have only be seriously training for about 9 months) I probably haven't gotten into the "overuse" injury portion...

My only overuse injury is carpel tunnel syndrome from being on this website too muchKiss

Alison, can you describe the foot pain a little more? Re hamstring exercises, my PT has me lay on my back with my heals dug into a Swiss, or exercise ball. Lift your back and pull the ball towards you with your heals only. Do this semi-fast at first 2x20 times and let us know how it feels. I do them every week

Also, if you are looking for other core or PT type exercises, ask...and we will do what we can to assist

Edited by tribesman 2009-02-19 9:31 PM
2009-02-19 9:40 PM
in reply to: #1969530

Expert
Atlanta, GA
swise - 2009-02-18 7:23 PM

we all feel burned out sometimes - just be mindful that sometimes you need a break and other times if you just push through and do the workout you may actually feel better after. That is most common for me in the morning. I HATE getting up at 4:30 to go to the pool. Leaving a warm bed is torture -- but, 9 times out of 10 I am so glad I did b/c of how I feel after a good swim. Same for an evening run after a long day -- I may dread it, but usually I will be glad I went once out there. Don't get me wrong - if your body truly needs a break - take one.

to me the best prevention for injuries has been stretching. The few times I have had problems (insertional achilles tendanitous (SP?) / tight hamstring) it has been attributable to lack of proper stretching. As someone who seems to always be in a rush b/c of the next obligation scheduled for the day I have to force myself to stretch - sometimes I'm successful and sometimes not.

I have aquired one of the foam rollers that Tony and Dan were talking about several weeks back and I LOVE IT!! I would encourage anyone who doens't have one yet to go pick it up. I use it just about every night and it feels great!

the only other injury prevention experience I have had goes to having the proper size equipment - be that shoes, bike... I didn't realize it but part of my achilles issue related to not wearing the right size shoe. I have worn a 7.5 for YEARS!! That is just my size. But, when I went to get a shoe fitting just after pulling my achilles I learned that for running I actually need an 8. What a difference a half a size made in my comfort running. I think the same would go for a bike fit / purchasing the correct size bike also - by not having things adjusted to your size you put improper strain on muscles that can lead to discomfort / injury.

Great advice, Sandy. I do not always like the 5am workouts but find once I get moving, I am good to go. I was given some good advice years ago re training. A well known coach said that if you are completely unmotivated, go do the first 10 minutes of the session. If you still don't want to do it, stop. Simple as that...Let's just say I have never quit just to quit (ie last week it was due to illness).

Funny how propery equipment can make a huge difference, huh! I had a similar issue once.

Sandy, I have an achilles stretch my PT gave me that you might of heard about. Put the inside edge of your foot on a yoga mat or folded towel so it is raised about 1 to 1.5 inches. Your outside edge should still be on the ground. Now bend at the knee at about 90 degrees and lean forward like a normal calf stretch. If this doesn't make sense I can show you. It really helps.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tribesman's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 17