BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-01-22 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2628938

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED
My hip is not snapful in this video because I'm swimming at 40% effort.  As I begin to increase my effort to go faster, my hip has more snappiness to it in order to increase my stroke rate and power.  I haven't been filmed swimming fast but if I get someone to videotape me, perhaps I can post it here later.

The whole idea is to keep everything smooth, but THINK about the snap as it generates power in your pull.  Many swimming think of pulling HARD, when in fact they should rather be thinking of snapping their hips instead...but in actuality, if done correctly, everything looks smooth and effortless even at high speeds.

And please ladies, do not make your Mentor Group leader blush anymore.  I don't look very good in red.

SSMinnow - 2010-01-22 11:22 AM

Tracy--I was thinking the same thing! 

Steve--it doesn't really look like you exagerate the hip snap, rather it is more gradual.  That is not the way I had been approaching it the last couple of weeks.  Is there a cue you know when you have got just enough?

Edited by Steve- 2010-01-22 11:30 AM

2010-01-22 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2628952

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Seeing you swim faster would be helpful.  I can definitely see that you are NOT using your arms to pull you through the water.  That is why I think it looks so good and so effortless.....something to build upon in the coming weeks, months and years.  I know you always tell me you have been working at your stroke for quite a while.

I am offically done with all workouts before heading on vacation....will be gone for the next five days, but will have an occasional opportunity to check in on the gang so keep it interesting.

Steve- - 2010-01-22 11:28 AM My hip is not snapful in this video because I'm swimming at 40% effort.  As I begin to increase my effort to go faster, my hip has more snappiness to it in order to increase my stroke rate and power.  I haven't been filmed swimming fast but if I get someone to videotape me, perhaps I can post it here later.

The whole idea is to keep everything smooth, but THINK about the snap as it generates power in your pull.  Many swimming think of pulling HARD, when in fact they should rather be thinking of snapping their hips instead...but in actuality, if done correctly, everything looks smooth and effortless even at high speeds.

And please ladies, do not make your Mentor Group leader blush anymore.  I don't look very good in red.

SSMinnow - 2010-01-22 11:22 AM

Tracy--I was thinking the same thing! 

Steve--it doesn't really look like you exagerate the hip snap, rather it is more gradual.  That is not the way I had been approaching it the last couple of weeks.  Is there a cue you know when you have got just enough?

2010-01-22 7:59 PM
in reply to: #2559007

Regular
Soutwest Florida
Damn I would be embarassed to see my stroke after watching those videos. I watch people swim and think what the hell are they doing fighting the water. Watching Steve swims is why he is the mentor of the group. Giving you props doesnt happen often from me. I will in the coming weeks try to video mine and get it on here, but for now I will work on the arm and breathing thing. My breathing seems fine but Scott is barely moving his head. Very nice guys.
2010-01-23 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
...that was Steve swimming?  Man I thought it was Michael Phelps

Seriously, though, you can really see Steve glide through the water.  I know if you have a hard time thinkig of the hips, I use the image of a pig on a skewer (I think I read it in a tri-mag), but without getting too stiff, just concentrate on rotating from side to side.   If you think of perfect posture when you are standing up, that is how you should be in the pool (including how your head is positioned - therefore looking down at the bottom of the pool).  This leads into the breathing...the more you pick up your head, the more your legs will go down, causing more drag..back to the pig on the skewer.  Anyway, just some things that have helped me, and hopefully can do the same for you.

As far as flats go, I am with Steve.  I carry a bike tube for training rides(and CO2 if I am in a hurry), and use C02 when racing.  I will say I did a 7 hour ride with Steve a couple of summers ago, and there were 3 of us.  We went through some pretty rough areas and two of us got flats.  Steve did not (gatorskins)....Anyway, I have been riding on gatorskins ever since!!!  One tip on the CO2:  I go to Wal Mart and get the CO2 cartridges they use for BB guns.  Much, much cheaper.  They will NOT work on the threaded cartridge pumps, though.
2010-01-24 9:41 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN

Thanks for the swim tips. 
Today I tried to think about keeping my elbows high in the water, turning my hips, and leaving one eye in the water and chin towards my chest while breathing.  Three things seem like an achievable amount to concentrate on.  Also seemed like it's enough to make a difference.

Dustin

2010-01-24 5:54 PM

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI
I have found the only way to make corrections to my stroke is to work on one thing at a time.

I am not very good at rotation. Part of my problem has been that I was not reaching far enough with my stroke. It is hard to rotate when you are scrunched up in your stroke. So, I began by getting my distance per stroke down. I am now at 16-18 strokes per length.

Now, I am working on rotation or becoming the pig on skewer. I think in my mind tick toc tick toc as I rotate through the water. It works for me. I also try to pretend like I am swimming through a tunnel. Staying narrow and long. I try to forget about my legs if I can. I used to be an over kicker, right Steve!!

I have had 3 years of pretty steady lessons. When my stroke feels off for more than 1 week, I call in a swim coach. I have one locally I work with and Steve. I try to swim with Steve every 3 to 4 months. He knows my stroke well.

2010-01-24 7:06 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Hey Steve, thanks for the very helpful insights.  I've noticed at the end of my workouts what I feel to be 'twisting' in my lower back.  So to see it, makes perfect sense, and I'll try to keep that plank-like thought process.  I've definitely got some work to do, but I recently did a 1:34 100yd - only once, but it gives me hope for improvement over the next 6 months.

I'm listening to the Science of Triathlon - I ripped the DVD to audio so that I could listen to it during my commute to work (it's a grand total of 9 hours). But I've managed to get a few of the sessions in.  In the start of the swim session Joel Friel says that he often tells swimmers to try to reach 2 inches farther in front of themselves than they currently are doing... this usually results in less than a half of an inch in improvement, but that in itself is a good improvement.  He said that some aspects of his coaching take years to reach full affect... yikes.

Well, I've got a long swim planned for tomorrow.  We'll see how things go. 

Thanks again for looking at my videos and for the advice.  I've got an email coming to you tonight or tomorrow, Steve.
2010-01-24 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2629925

User image

Elite
Chicago
fireman70 - 2010-01-22 7:59 PM Damn I would be embarassed to see my stroke after watching those videos. I watch people swim and think what the hell are they doing fighting the water. Watching Steve swims is why he is the mentor of the group. Giving you props doesnt happen often from me. I will in the coming weeks try to video mine and get it on here, but for now I will work on the arm and breathing thing. My breathing seems fine but Scott is barely moving his head. Very nice guys.

We coach because we love to help.  While we get paid for our services just like anyone else offering a service, it's really the improvement and "ah ha" moments that we guide athletes to that makes us smile from ear to ear.  I am happy that you might glean some helpful tips from time to time.
2010-01-24 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2631466

User image

Elite
Chicago
DTraitor - 2010-01-24 9:41 AM

Thanks for the swim tips. 
Today I tried to think about keeping my elbows high in the water, turning my hips, and leaving one eye in the water and chin towards my chest while breathing.  Three things seem like an achievable amount to concentrate on.  Also seemed like it's enough to make a difference.

Dustin

Order of priority (most efficiency gain to least efficiency gain) would be:

1) chin to chest (don't life head when breathing)
2) focus on turning hips fast rather than pulling hard
3) high elbows

Best to focus on one thing for a 4x50 then do a 100 easy swim, then the next thing for a 4x50 then easy swim for 100....repeat.
2010-01-24 7:30 PM
in reply to: #2632193

User image

Elite
Chicago
JHagerman - 2010-01-24 7:06 PM Hey Steve, thanks for the very helpful insights.  I've noticed at the end of my workouts what I feel to be 'twisting' in my lower back.  So to see it, makes perfect sense, and I'll try to keep that plank-like thought process.  I've definitely got some work to do, but I recently did a 1:34 100yd - only once, but it gives me hope for improvement over the next 6 months.

I'm listening to the Science of Triathlon - I ripped the DVD to audio so that I could listen to it during my commute to work (it's a grand total of 9 hours). But I've managed to get a few of the sessions in.  In the start of the swim session Joel Friel says that he often tells swimmers to try to reach 2 inches farther in front of themselves than they currently are doing... this usually results in less than a half of an inch in improvement, but that in itself is a good improvement.  He said that some aspects of his coaching take years to reach full affect... yikes.

Thanks again for looking at my videos and for the advice.  I've got an email coming to you tonight or tomorrow, Steve.

2 inches is good, but what seems to resonate with athletes I give swim lessons to is to get them to feel like they are locking their elbows BEFORE their hand enters the water....this usually gets them to where they need to be quickly....like over a few weeks.

the key for you is to hammer your technique like it's nobody's business for 2 months straight.  don't do any volume or intensity at all...just technique.  5-6x/wk for 20-30min each.

I'll look for your email.

Edited by Steve- 2010-01-24 7:31 PM
2010-01-24 7:33 PM
in reply to: #2632241

User image

Master
Small Town
I'll give the locking elbow thing a try tomorrow to see how that helps. 

Steve- - 2010-01-24 8:30 PM
JHagerman - 2010-01-24 7:06 PM Hey Steve, thanks for the very helpful insights.  I've noticed at the end of my workouts what I feel to be 'twisting' in my lower back.  So to see it, makes perfect sense, and I'll try to keep that plank-like thought process.  I've definitely got some work to do, but I recently did a 1:34 100yd - only once, but it gives me hope for improvement over the next 6 months.

2 inches is good, but what seems to resonate with athletes I give swim lessons to is to get them to feel like they are locking their elbows BEFORE their hand enters the water....this usually gets them to where they need to be quickly....like over a few weeks.

2010-01-24 7:40 PM
in reply to: #2632247

User image

Elite
Chicago
JHagerman - 2010-01-24 7:33 PM I'll give the locking elbow thing a try tomorrow to see how that helps. 

Steve- - 2010-01-24 8:30 PM

another drill that is good is to hold a kickboard in your left arm fully extended and swim on your left side, stroking with only your right arm.  if your right arm does not hit the kickboard first before your right arm enters the water, you did not reach out far enough.  do this for 25m, then switch arms.
2010-01-25 2:03 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
The swimming tips have been awesome.  Lots to think about before hitting the pool next week (joining a new club).

One question on the hips.  Does the hip snap involve any drive forward with the hip or is it just strictly within the rotation?

The videos were both very helpful! 

2010-01-25 2:08 PM
in reply to: #2633725

User image

Elite
Chicago
It's difficult to drive your hips forward since they primarily move side to side; however, you should feel like the hip snap is "throwing" your shoulder and arm forward...if that makes any sense.

retiretotri - 2010-01-25 2:03 PM The swimming tips have been awesome.  Lots to think about before hitting the pool next week (joining a new club).

One question on the hips.  Does the hip snap involve any drive forward with the hip or is it just strictly within the rotation?

The videos were both very helpful! 

2010-01-25 7:38 PM

User image

New user

Boston, MA
I did my first bike workout yesterday since getting my tattoo. It feels great. It was so nice to not be sitting around the house anymore. I can't wait to start swimming again. I'm taking at least another week off of swimming.
2010-01-27 10:55 AM
in reply to: #2634275

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
deathbyzamboni87 - 2010-01-25 7:38 PM I did my first bike workout yesterday since getting my tattoo. It feels great. It was so nice to not be sitting around the house anymore. I can't wait to start swimming again. I'm taking at least another week off of swimming.

So, the Tat is pretty healed?  Well, when are we going to see photos?

2010-01-27 5:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida
Ok, I'm over my weekend cold/flu, and I finally headed to the treadmill for a measley 30 minute run with my new SOLE inserts. 

Yes! no more pain. 

I'm going to progress slowly on the run but hopefully I'll be ready to go by the time the summer hits if not sooner
2010-01-27 5:16 PM

User image

Champion
Hi All

We had a great time in Cabo, but it is time to come home. Weather was an awesome 78F and sunny everyday.  The pool here turned out to be 90 yards long (shaped like a curved L) so I got to swim outdoors everyday and practice some of the stuff Steve has been drilling in my head.  Did a little rehab running and a whole lot of elliptical to compensate for not being able to do anything else.....talk to you soon!

Suzy
2010-01-27 5:55 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
ok, this is a real newbie question; but what do you wear during your triathlon? I'm looking at probably doing my first tri in early March and am trying to figure out those little things like what I should wear! I understand that people with have their own ideas on the subject, but right now I don't have any of my own, so any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks,Ann-Marie
2010-01-27 6:31 PM
in reply to: #2638576

User image

Champion
My avatar is the type of outfit I always wear from start to finish, a tri top with a built in bra (brand Zoot), a pair of tri shorts (SUGOI is my favorite, but I also wear Zoot) and my HRM (wetsuit goes over all of this stuff).  I add socks, a headband during T1 along with my sunglasses and SIDI bike shoes.  When getting ready for the run in T2, I throw on my Brooks Adrenaline running shoes and am good to go.  Other necessities a race belt (I put it on in T1) and any monitoring devices (Garmin or Polar). 

amd723 - 2010-01-27 5:55 PM ok, this is a real newbie question; but what do you wear during your triathlon? I'm looking at probably doing my first tri in early March and am trying to figure out those little things like what I should wear! I understand that people with have their own ideas on the subject, but right now I don't have any of my own, so any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks,Ann-Marie
2010-01-27 6:40 PM
in reply to: #2638617

User image

Master
Orlando
Looks like I have some shopping to do- other than the shoes and garmin, I have none of that stuff! Thanks for the advise.

2010-01-27 6:42 PM

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI
I wear Danskin tri shorts. Love them. I get my tops from Target. I really like the champion yoga tops. They are cheap and come in funky, fun colors. They breath nicely and wash great. I have several zoot/craft tri tops, but they all ride up. Probably because I have curves. I wear Aetrex running shoes.
2010-01-27 6:48 PM
in reply to: #2638633

User image

Master
Orlando
i'll defintely check out the yoga tops - cheap and funky sounds real good. thx
2010-01-27 6:53 PM

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI
They don't have them in yet, but I bought 5 or 6 there last year. .

Edited by TracyV 2010-01-27 6:59 PM
2010-01-27 6:57 PM
in reply to: #2638646

User image

Master
Orlando
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21