BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun mentor group 6 years running closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 191

2012-04-07 4:27 PM
in reply to: #4135741

User image

Subject: RE: swbkrun mentor group 6 years running OPEN
TrevorC - 2012-04-07 5:01 PM
Terps421 - 2012-04-07 12:49 PM
GrapeJuice - 2012-04-07 12:50 PM

Just finished the Scotland 10k in 44:14 so I didnt make my goal of 43:39 I set from Mcmillians calculator based of a 20:58 5k I did on the 1st. That 5k was on a flat course while this was in Central park which has a bunch of rolling hills and a congested course(approx 11k runners). Splits were 7:03,7:02,6:59,7:23,6:59,7:02, 1:47(.26 miles).

I did however set a new PR from my last 10k race in 2010 which was a 48:27.

Excellent splits!Smile Nice run Andre!

this is a double-terps

great job Andre! Super fast dude.

TRIPLE TERPS!

Awesome running, Andre!

2012-04-07 4:37 PM
in reply to: #4135695

User image

fattyfatfat - 2012-04-07 4:24 PM
kkcbelle - 2012-04-07 1:08 PM

Speaking of Macmillan, I have a physiological/philosophical question. Most things one reads about run training talk about doing most of one's miles easy, with a certain percentage at tempo, race pace, threshold, etc. I get it. The question is, if you're out running and feel good and just run faster for whatever amount of time, without necessarily hitting a tempo pace or threhold or anything "scientific," is there a benefit?? What is it?

My gut says yeah, of course there's a benefit (not to mention the fun factor of just feelin' good and going with it). I'm just curious what would be happening physilogically or if there is a reason not to do that (injury risk). I'm not running scientifically these days by any means -- I do what I want, when I want, how it fits into my schedule, with my friends, wherever. I do try to run faster sometimes. I run on hills sometimes. I go easy much of the time. Mostly I listen to my body, but if I have a "goal" workout in mind (tempo, track, whatever) then I pay attention to pace/RPE/HR whatever.

So am I making sense? What is happening in that "sweet spot" (or sour spot??) between EASY and TEMPO/insert pace word here when you just do it for a random amount of time (no percentage of run time/miles) because it's fun??

no doubt about it, there's a big benefit .  the proof is in the pudding.... look at the progress i've made over the past few years.

also, i get why you asked the question, because all of us train to some "scientific" program in one form or another.  suzy probably following the strictest regime. maybe me on the other end up until 10 weeks ago and even still, i've been slacking lately because of the move.  but i suspect that once you leave our community the majority of people just run for some random amount of time with nothing "scientific" behind it and make some sort of improvement.  (i'm throwing in things like hal higdon, bt beginner programs, fink and so on all the way through an elite coach into the "scientific" program.  i think all provide great value if used properly.)

and don't forget other benefits not necessarily linked to physical improvement.  take, for example when you have a rough day.  a 30 minute whatever pace run smooths things out a bit. 

I'm totally unscientific about my training. Almost all of my runs are at whatever pace feels right that day. For me, it takes the pressure off and makes running more enjoyable, which makes me want to run more. That's the benefit. I love the days when my legs feel extra springy and I can run fast just for the fun of it. And you never know when one of those days is going to come along!

2012-04-07 6:38 PM
in reply to: #4135751

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
gotta run - 2012-04-07 4:27 PM

Just finished the Scotland 10k in 44:14 so I didnt make my goal of 43:39 I set from Mcmillians calculator based of a 20:58 5k I did on the 1st. That 5k was on a flat course while this was in Central park which has a bunch of rolling hills and a congested course(approx 11k runners). Splits were 7:03,7:02,6:59,7:23,6:59,7:02, 1:47(.26 miles).

this is a double-terps

TRIPLE TERPS!

Awesome running, Andre!

Yes Andre, SOLID run indeed!!! Great job!

2012-04-07 6:44 PM
in reply to: #4135760

User image

gotta run - 2012-04-07 4:37 PM
fattyfatfat - 2012-04-07 4:24 PM

Speaking of Macmillan, I have a physiological/philosophical question. Most things one reads about run training talk about doing most of one's miles easy, with a certain percentage at tempo, race pace, threshold, etc. I get it. The question is, if you're out running and feel good and just run faster for whatever amount of time, without necessarily hitting a tempo pace or threhold or anything "scientific," is there a benefit?? What is it?

My gut says yeah, of course there's a benefit (not to mention the fun factor of just feelin' good and going with it). I'm just curious what would be happening physilogically or if there is a reason not to do that (injury risk). I'm not running scientifically these days by any means -- I do what I want, when I want, how it fits into my schedule, with my friends, wherever. I do try to run faster sometimes. I run on hills sometimes. I go easy much of the time. Mostly I listen to my body, but if I have a "goal" workout in mind (tempo, track, whatever) then I pay attention to pace/RPE/HR whatever.

So am I making sense? What is happening in that "sweet spot" (or sour spot??) between EASY and TEMPO/insert pace word here when you just do it for a random amount of time (no percentage of run time/miles) because it's fun??

no doubt about it, there's a big benefit .  the proof is in the pudding.... look at the progress i've made over the past few years.

also, i get why you asked the question, because all of us train to some "scientific" program in one form or another.  suzy probably following the strictest regime. maybe me on the other end up until 10 weeks ago and even still, i've been slacking lately because of the move.  but i suspect that once you leave our community the majority of people just run for some random amount of time with nothing "scientific" behind it and make some sort of improvement.  (i'm throwing in things like hal higdon, bt beginner programs, fink and so on all the way through an elite coach into the "scientific" program.  i think all provide great value if used properly.)

and don't forget other benefits not necessarily linked to physical improvement.  take, for example when you have a rough day.  a 30 minute whatever pace run smooths things out a bit. 

I'm totally unscientific about my training. Almost all of my runs are at whatever pace feels right that day. For me, it takes the pressure off and makes running more enjoyable, which makes me want to run more. That's the benefit. I love the days when my legs feel extra springy and I can run fast just for the fun of it. And you never know when one of those days is going to come along!

I am on again off again with 'plans' and I even had a 'coach' lay out workouts based on power, speed, HR, etc... I make improvements when I simply increase my training...When I am riding, running and swimming on a 2-3 a week consistency, I see the best results.  Problem is, I am on and off with that consistency.  Fatty has definitely made huge improvements, while I have stayed the same or even fell off in some areas.  But that's why I am back on BT, in an MG and will actually start following a tri plan again after next Saturday's 50K.

I do like the approach of just having fun with it...especially with running.  That is where I am right now.  I have really learned to not focus ona pace and just relax and let it go. If I can only muster a 9:00 pace, so be it...other days I am in the 6's and feeling great.  But I am having fun with it!

2012-04-07 6:50 PM
in reply to: #4134988

User image

swbkrun - 2012-04-06 9:58 PM
STut - 2012-04-06 6:49 PM

Alright so it was OWS night, I love these longer days.  I'm training for the Wildflower Oly, my first,  so I am spending more time in the ocean than the pool these days.

Tonights swim was 1600 yards in 28:48, I'm trying to be closer to 25 minutes in the race so I have a little ways to go but hoping adrenaline will help out.

Tomorrow will be a Brick.

That is great!  And WILDFLOWER.... That is a bucket list race for me.  I don't think i have ever heard 1 bad thing about that race (except that it can hurt !)

Solid swimming... you are clearly on your way!

Same here for Wildflower long course!  that, and Alcatraz.

2012-04-07 7:00 PM
in reply to: #4135695

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
fattyfatfat - 2012-04-07 3:24 PM

Warning: Totally my opinion based on what i've read and experienced as a coached athlete. I am sure there is some benefit to doing random runs with fartleks/sprints just because you want to, but I think there is less benefit than if you ran a perscribed run.  You want to improve LT efficiently, you need to run at a certain level and duration to do it.  Same for VO2 improvement.  If you don't care how you get that improvement or how long it takes to get it no biggie. Life's too short not to enjoy it which you and Julia have embraced and done well with.  Me, I'm old, I want it now!

I am not sure I am the strictest with both Kim and Doug having coaches, but I do follow the plan to the T or have a darn good reason not to.  I can say under Brett's guidance I have remained injury free for over a year while improving my run, bike and even swim times considerably. I believe it is because he knows way more than me and tailors workouts to my shortcomings.   I don't do one second more than what's in the plan though. Before I became so planned focused I had a tendency to add volume which didn't result in much of any improvement and set me up for injury.

2012-04-07 7:36 PM
in reply to: #4135902

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
SSMinnow - 2012-04-07 5:00 PM

Warning: Totally my opinion based on what i've read and experienced as a coached athlete. I am sure there is some benefit to doing random runs with fartleks/sprints just because you want to, but I think there is less benefit than if you ran a perscribed run.  You want to improve LT efficiently, you need to run at a certain level and duration to do it.  Same for VO2 improvement.  If you don't care how you get that improvement or how long it takes to get it no biggie. Life's too short not to enjoy it which you and Julia have embraced and done well with.  Me, I'm old, I want it now!

I am not sure I am the strictest with both Kim and Doug having coaches, but I do follow the plan to the T or have a darn good reason not to.  I can say under Brett's guidance I have remained injury free for over a year while improving my run, bike and even swim times considerably. I believe it is because he knows way more than me and tailors workouts to my shortcomings.   I don't do one second more than what's in the plan though. Before I became so planned focused I had a tendency to add volume which didn't result in much of any improvement and set me up for injury.

I agree with both sides.  I am a follow the plan guy but I HATE the numbers.  It takes all the fun out of it for me.  I only follow pace on Tempo runs and have given up on HR.  RPE plans are the only ones I can follow.  I really enjoy running when I am running on feel, not so much when it is about hitting paces.  I love the runs you are describing. They are even better when you are not wearing a watch!

The other side is that it is usually the next workout that will suffer the most.  You can derail a plan by not running slow OR fast enough.  I see the risk.... but SCREW the risk.  If legs say go then go  

Oh, 80 miles today on the bike.  Longest since 09.

Edited by cbarnes1 2012-04-07 7:38 PM
2012-04-07 7:39 PM
in reply to: #4123816

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Nice job on the bike, Chet!   I miss my bike.......
2012-04-07 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4135944

User image

Veteran
cbarnes1 - 2012-04-07 7:36 PM

I agree with both sides.  I am a follow the plan guy but I HATE the numbers.  It takes all the fun out of it for me.  I only follow pace on Tempo runs and have given up on HR.  RPE plans are the only ones I can follow.  I really enjoy running when I am running on feel, not so much when it is about hitting paces.  I love the runs you are describing. They are even better when you are not wearing a watch!

The other side is that it is usually the next workout that will suffer the most.  You can derail a plan by not running slow OR fast enough.  I see the risk.... but SCREW the risk.  If legs say go then go  

I have so given up on HR as well! I use RPE and pace. I just feel my zones are to slow, so I dont follow them. Maybe I need a better way to evaluate them? May do a VO2/LT test at the end of this season and find my "correct" zones for next year

And THANKS guys/gals!!!!!Laughing

2012-04-07 8:33 PM
in reply to: #4135741

User image

Master
Maryland

this is a double-terps

Ha, yeah me: )

2012-04-07 8:42 PM

User image

Master
Maryland

Chet, wow, 80 miles, great long ride! How are you feeling now, are you sore?

I love following a plan for running. Like Chet, I don't want to be too focused on mile splits. I just want to enjoy. But following a plan allows me to progress, adapt, and nail the key workouts for improvement.

2012-04-07 8:57 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Jelly. Belly. Says the Easter Bunny
2012-04-07 9:11 PM
in reply to: #4136057

User image

Champion

fattyfatfat - 2012-04-07 8:57 PM Jelly. Belly. Says the Easter Bunny

DRUNK!

2012-04-07 9:13 PM

User image

Champion
cbarnes1 - 2012-04-07 7:36 PM

Nice job on the ride Chet!

I agree with the first part of your statement, but totally disagree with the second part.  That's what sends me to the sidelines every time.

2012-04-07 9:27 PM
in reply to: #4136086

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2012-04-07 10:11 PM

fattyfatfat - 2012-04-07 8:57 PM Jelly. Belly. Says the Easter Bunny

DRUNK!

choose wisely.  

2012-04-07 9:28 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
cbarnes1 - 2012-04-07 8:36 PM

lazy.                   :-)   

2012-04-07 9:38 PM
in reply to: #4134911

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Beach, CA
velcromom - 2012-04-06 7:00 PM

Alright so it was OWS night, I love these longer days.  I'm training for the Wildflower Oly, my first,  so I am spending more time in the ocean than the pool these days.

Tonights swim was 1600 yards in 28:48, I'm trying to be closer to 25 minutes in the race so I have a little ways to go but hoping adrenaline will help out.

Yeah!   WF long course was my first, back in 2009.  It's an amazing experience, you'll love AND hate it. 

Glad you saw my plane Weds!  Signed papers to purchase a condo in Huntington Beach.  Spent more time at SNA than in town, though!

I have heard this same thing from many others as well.  Congrats on the condo, there are some great deal in HB right now.  I lived there for about 8 years in the 90's.  Are you moving there or just buying a second home?

2012-04-07 9:41 PM
in reply to: #4135888

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Beach, CA
JustWood - 2012-04-07 4:50 PM
swbkrun - 2012-04-06 9:58 PM

That is great!  And WILDFLOWER.... That is a bucket list race for me.  I don't think i have ever heard 1 bad thing about that race (except that it can hurt !)

Solid swimming... you are clearly on your way!

Same here for Wildflower long course!  that, and Alcatraz.

Thanks Wood, I hear from everyone that the best way to approach WF is to keep telling yourself "you can hurt more"

2012-04-07 10:29 PM
in reply to: #4136132

User image

Master
STut - 2012-04-07 7:38 PM
velcromom - 2012-04-06 7:00 PM

Yeah!   WF long course was my first, back in 2009.  It's an amazing experience, you'll love AND hate it. 

Glad you saw my plane Weds!  Signed papers to purchase a condo in Huntington Beach.  Spent more time at SNA than in town, though!

I have heard this same thing from many others as well.  Congrats on the condo, there are some great deal in HB right now.  I lived there for about 8 years in the 90's.  Are you moving there or just buying a second home?

Our daughter is in grad school down there.  She'll live there with a roomie, pay rent, and then it'll become a rental property when she moves on....hoping it's a good call!  LOVE the area.  Have had some good runs down there!!!

2012-04-07 10:34 PM
in reply to: #4136138

User image

Master

Thanks for the feedback, folks!! I sort-of bat both ways (no surprise there, right, Fatty?). I loves me a training plan and I follow one like Suzy, to a T (and, sometimes, to a fault). But IMs in back-to-back years made me yearn for no structure -- I was so sick of turning down invites from friends for rides or runs, and then hearing them talk about it later, because I was a slave to the plan. I've done much more running with friends (hi Steve!) this fall and have loved it! 

So I guess Suzy got to the meat of my question -- yes, there is improvement benefit, but "scientifically" it's not the most efficient way to get there. I sort-of split the difference -- I've done some run tests, look at recent race results, have ideas of paces based on the VDOT calculators, and try to do a run that incorporates tempo or something once/week, schedule and body willing. But if Steve wants to crush hills on Cougar and I wanted to do a tempo run, I'll take Cougar hills in a heartbeat!! 

So Justin, this is gonna sound so pathetic, but I thrive on the darn graphs and peach-colored boxes in those training logs. I really do. When I'm finishing up a swim, I try to think of how much purple I just added. When one week surpasses another I feel all smug. At the same time, if I see a dip week I justify it by reminding myself that my aging bod needs rest, and my family comes first so if a workout didn't happen, that's cool. So while they motivate me, I try not to be a slave to them. I do find the psychology of my feeling about those graphs fascinating and borderline pathetic. LOL!!!

Glad to see Fatty is drinking Real Beer. Can't say the same for another member of the MG...

2012-04-07 10:47 PM
in reply to: #4136199

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
kkcbelle - 2012-04-07 8:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback, folks!! I sort-of bat both ways (no surprise there, right, Fatty?). I loves me a training plan and I follow one like Suzy, to a T (and, sometimes, to a fault). But IMs in back-to-back years made me yearn for no structure -- I was so sick of turning down invites from friends for rides or runs, and then hearing them talk about it later, because I was a slave to the plan. I've done much more running with friends (hi Steve!) this fall and have loved it! 

So I guess Suzy got to the meat of my question -- yes, there is improvement benefit, but "scientifically" it's not the most efficient way to get there. I sort-of split the difference -- I've done some run tests, look at recent race results, have ideas of paces based on the VDOT calculators, and try to do a run that incorporates tempo or something once/week, schedule and body willing. But if Steve wants to crush hills on Cougar and I wanted to do a tempo run, I'll take Cougar hills in a heartbeat!! 

So Justin, this is gonna sound so pathetic, but I thrive on the darn graphs and peach-colored boxes in those training logs. I really do. When I'm finishing up a swim, I try to think of how much purple I just added. When one week surpasses another I feel all smug. At the same time, if I see a dip week I justify it by reminding myself that my aging bod needs rest, and my family comes first so if a workout didn't happen, that's cool. So while they motivate me, I try not to be a slave to them. I do find the psychology of my feeling about those graphs fascinating and borderline pathetic. LOL!!!

Glad to see Fatty is drinking Real Beer. Can't say the same for another member of the MG...

Amen sister... Drop your plans and go crush some hills with me. It'll make you faster on the flats and stronger off the bike.

2012-04-07 10:48 PM
in reply to: #4136199

User image

Master
kkcbelle - 2012-04-07 8:34 PM

My right leg HURTS.  ITB, I think, calf cramp, and Idontknowwhatelse.  I know that I can way cut back on my 'taper-runs' but I am still counting miles in my head, and getting all happy/sad based on the numbers.  Not borderline pathetic - truly PATHETIC.  Too late to change now.

2012-04-07 10:50 PM

User image

Master
AND I'm drinking real wine.  Should probably scale back during taper time.
2012-04-07 10:50 PM

User image

Master
Time to go help the bunny hide eggs.   Happy Easter to all those who are celebrating!!!
2012-04-07 10:56 PM
in reply to: #4136215

User image

Master

velcromom - 2012-04-07 8:50 PM Time to go help the bunny hide eggs.   Happy Easter to all those who are celebrating!!!

Two little minions outsourced Easter Bunny duties this year! They decided last week they want to hide each other's eggs! And today I gave 'em each some cash to buy whatever they want to put in said eggs. So awesome! I sat in the car and read my book while they took turns shopping at two separate stores. Call me Scrooge (wrong holiday), but I am not a fan of Easter Bunny duties. I am thrilled to retire this year and just sit back with a cuppa coffee and a camera...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun mentor group 6 years running closed Rss Feed  

of 191