BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kenj - triathletes in training CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 78

2012-04-15 6:42 AM
in reply to: #4151181

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Kenj - triathletes in training CLOSED

Kath2163 - 2012-04-14 11:20 PM Thanks for the advice about the HM tomorrow. The weather report says that it might be snow instead of rain. That would be better. As of now I am preparing to do it but at anytime leading up to or during the race, I might bail.  I agree, that it isn't worth it if it is going to be miserable or unsafe.

Have a great race Kathleen!!

2012-04-15 6:42 AM
in reply to: #4151256

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CarlaLThompson - 2012-04-15 12:41 AM
CyborgQueen - 2012-04-13 4:53 PM

Lynie13 - 2012-04-13 10:50 AM All this talk about chocolate milk, I need to buy some tonight! Are we talking Nestle Quik or something like a GNC chocolate protein powder?

NESQUIK...how can it NOT get any better than that. I don't give a flying fig all the extra stuff in there...it's good, delicious and makes me feel like a kid.

If I get the bottled kind, I tend to put it in the freezer for a while until it's semi frozen, and instant shake..it's SO GOOD! 

I prefer Nesquik over Yoo Hoo because Yoo Hoo is more watered down, and it's gross. 

I feel giddy and "Child-like" just reading this!  Love it! ~C

Hows your training going Carla?  Are you still racing New Orleans next weekend?

2012-04-15 6:43 AM
in reply to: #4151348

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

peterflagg - 2012-04-15 6:09 AM So a year ago I never would of thought I'd be looking up my friends here on BT to see what they are doing AND wishing daylight would come so I can go biking. It feel GREAT!

Have a great ride Peter and welcome to the dark side!  Cool

2012-04-15 7:32 AM
in reply to: #4124117

Rochester
Stopped for a little rest. So far I have 11.3 miles in 54 min. Not the greatest but better then sitting on my butt. Speaking of butts,mine is killing me. Are there better saddles that don't kill it do I need to tape one of my couch cushions to my bike? I don't want to do that because then it will not be too aero. Lol. Also I love going down hills and HATE going up them.
2012-04-15 10:02 AM

New user

I may not be the most active participator in the group, but definitely avid reader.

-Trying to figure out to put my garmin stuff on the workout log here.  I just haven't really done anything to accomplish that goal.  I really dont want several different logs, but I figure this one will get me to be more accountable.  I have the G800 for my bike and and the Garmin 600 for run.  It may be weeks before I get up to speed on this.  Be patient with me.

-Thank you all for encouraging me to not 'can' my group rides to follow a canned BT plan.  Im getting ton of miles in on the bike and I look forward to my long half century ride on sundays (though not with the horrible weather in the midwest this weekend)

-Low fat Chocolate milk. Its my vote.  Not that I drink either, but senior nutritionist and physical therapist really push it for their patients.  And so do I, though studies are quoted--I've never seen them.  

-Ice man, I want to be you when I grow up!

-General quesiton:  I have a tri cervelo P2 and a felt road bike.  When you train, what % of tri vs road type to use.  I only do tri bike if Im doing bricks. . . lol. . I think I've done bricks twice my life.  My 50 milers are usually on the tri cervelo P2

-Thank you all for the overall support and discussions 

2012-04-15 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4151428

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

peterflagg - 2012-04-15 8:32 AM Stopped for a little rest. So far I have 11.3 miles in 54 min. Not the greatest but better then sitting on my butt. Speaking of butts,mine is killing me. Are there better saddles that don't kill it do I need to tape one of my couch cushions to my bike? I don't want to do that because then it will not be too aero. Lol. Also I love going down hills and HATE going up them.

There are different saddles and some fit better than others, but that is a personal choice as we are all shaped different.  I will say though, since you are fairly new to this, that you do need to harden the derriere with some quality saddle time.  Keep at it and if it doesn't improve some, then maybe look for a new saddle.  

Nice riding Peter!

2012-04-15 11:23 AM
in reply to: #4151563

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
rpmfast - 2012-04-15 11:02 AM

I may not be the most active participator in the group, but definitely avid reader.

-Trying to figure out to put my garmin stuff on the workout log here.  I just haven't really done anything to accomplish that goal.  I really dont want several different logs, but I figure this one will get me to be more accountable.  I have the G800 for my bike and and the Garmin 600 for run.  It may be weeks before I get up to speed on this.  Be patient with me.

-Thank you all for encouraging me to not 'can' my group rides to follow a canned BT plan.  Im getting ton of miles in on the bike and I look forward to my long half century ride on sundays (though not with the horrible weather in the midwest this weekend)

-Low fat Chocolate milk. Its my vote.  Not that I drink either, but senior nutritionist and physical therapist really push it for their patients.  And so do I, though studies are quoted--I've never seen them.  

-General quesiton:  I have a tri cervelo P2 and a felt road bike.  When you train, what % of tri vs road type to use.  I only do tri bike if Im doing bricks. . . lol. . I think I've done bricks twice my life.  My 50 milers are usually on the tri cervelo P2

Once you figure it out the Garmin stuff is pretty straight forward.  You just hit upload from the bar above your workout logs and it will ask for manufacturer then particular device, which both of yours should show up.  You may need to download a Garmin software to connect the 2, but I believe you will be prompted on how to do this and a link so it shouldn't be to challenging. If you click on the articles button up above and search garmin uploading or something to that effect you should also find some articles on it.  Let me know if your run into any snags with it!

As far as bikes go, I tend to ride my tri bike all the time in the winter as that is what is in the trainer.  I will put my road bike on the rollers when I am feeling brave enough.  Right now, for the same reason as above the road bike is seeing most of the outside time since it is fairly limited due to daylight and weather.  When both bikes are ready for the road I will have to force myself to ride the road bike once or twice a week as I tend to gravitate towards the tri bike for reasons unknown!

Good to hear from you Ryan!

2012-04-15 11:33 AM

Rochester
Rpm,
I think to not confuse you, you can give me the felt bike or the P2 if you want. I don't want you confused which one to ride so I will take it upon myself to "help" you. Lol

I also second the motion to be like Ice when I grow up.

Low fat chocolate milk is my vote also.
2012-04-15 11:33 AM

Rochester
Rpm,
I think to not confuse you, you can give me the felt bike or the P2 if you want. I don't want you confused which one to ride so I will take it upon myself to "help" you. Lol

I also second the motion to be like Ice when I grow up.

Low fat chocolate milk is my vote also.
2012-04-15 12:18 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Took my first day off in over 2 weeks yesterday - I think I needed it both mentally and physically.  Definately felt weird knowing that I would not be working out.  Cleaned house for a dinner party we had instead.  Our friends ending up taking both kids home with them for a sleep over so I was able to sleep in and now having a quiet morning - pure bliss!

Last week was the first week of training for my 75 mile ride from Kluane N.P. Yukon to Haines, AK - this week long ride is a little over 20 miles - haven't ridden that long since last October and it is only going to go up from here - a little nervous about it!

PF is still slowly improving - no major flare ups in almost 2 weeks! Running is not going as well as I hoped though - the new shoes are definately taking awhile to get used to.  Pulled my calf muscle last week after only 6 mins on the treadmill.  If I can't start increasing the mileage soon my HIM this fall may be a bust. Going to try for 2 x 5 minutes with a short walk in between today.

2012-04-15 12:20 PM
in reply to: #4151390

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
kenj - 2012-04-15 6:42 AM

Kath2163 - 2012-04-14 11:20 PM Thanks for the advice about the HM tomorrow. The weather report says that it might be snow instead of rain. That would be better. As of now I am preparing to do it but at anytime leading up to or during the race, I might bail.  I agree, that it isn't worth it if it is going to be miserable or unsafe.

Have a great race Kathleen!!

I hope the weather stays nice for you and if it does precipitate it will be snow! Have Fun!

2012-04-15 12:23 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Nice job Peter! Keep pedallin man!
Seats are very personal. For me I find a good pair of shorts is where it's at. I stay pretty simple on the seats. As you ride more youll find the heavy padded seats are actually worse than the minimal ones.

Ryan, I have a P3 I train on, a P4 I race on and a fuji road bike. I ride my TT bikes as much as I possibly can. I only use the road bike now for the trainer in te summer. I used the p3 on the trainer all winter. I would say 85% is on the TT bikes all year. I used the road bike more last year and just had trouble staying in aero position during races. This year I'm much more used to it and it's easier for me to stay in aero for long periods of time. I just have to watch it at group rides. I try to lead the group most the time do I can stay out front and in aero. While I'm in the group I don't use the drops at all. It's not safe and some groups really dislike TT bikes on their rides anyhow. Ill even use the road bike if I now I'm going to be with a group of roadies that will sneer at my TT bike. For me it's much easier to go back to the road bike from the tt bike than it is the other way around. So I try to ride in aero position on the tt bike as much as possible.
2012-04-15 12:25 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
What a brutal day! 30mph winds and 45mph gusts. We averaged 200watts for 2 hours and only had a 17.5mph average. Spent a lot of time in a head wind cranking out watts. The wind keeps getting worse today so we cut the ride short at 35 miles
2012-04-15 1:10 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Robin. Congrats on getting back to training after PF!

Oh...and Ryan. A day like today would have been better off having a road bike. I had my P3 out today. The 45mph gusts made it very hard to be in aero much. I could have really used the stability of my road bike out there today.
2012-04-15 7:17 PM
in reply to: #4151563

User image

Master
Sin City
rpmfast - 2012-04-15 8:02 AM

Garmin - I've just about given up on plugging them into the Garmin Connect/ Garmin Training Center. Not that I hate it, but I just don't feel like obsessing over my numbers.  I think it's more valuable for someone who is training by power, HR Zones, LT Zones, etc. I haven't even gotten to that point yet, so I just plug in the numbers on my Garmin screen and put it up on BT. 

I stated a little while ago that I was offered $3000 off a $4500 tri bike. However, if I compared my percentages of riding with a group and riding on my own...it's nearly 100% riding with the group, and I do charity rides (not that you can't use Tri Bikes, but they're frown upon, and frankly more comfortable on a road bike), and the like. If I did drop the money to get the tri bike, it would only be use sparingly. Instead, I got a Mountain bike, and installed Aerobars.  For majority of the triathletes that I know, train alone or train with another triathlete, so it makes sense they they have a tri bike as their main ride. 

I'm surprised that you don't do bricks more often though. 

2012-04-15 7:20 PM
in reply to: #4151428

User image

Master
Sin City

peterflagg - 2012-04-15 5:32 AM Stopped for a little rest. So far I have 11.3 miles in 54 min. Not the greatest but better then sitting on my butt. Speaking of butts,mine is killing me. Are there better saddles that don't kill it do I need to tape one of my couch cushions to my bike? I don't want to do that because then it will not be too aero. Lol. Also I love going down hills and HATE going up them.

Did you use the stock saddle? If so...get rid of it, grind it up. :-)   I would much rather be comfortable than the aeroiness. Saddles are much more individualized.  I have been through 5 or 6 saddles to find something that is comfortable than the rest of them, but not quite perfect, but I can deal with it.   This same saddle may not work for someone else.  Some people like the Adamo, others hate it. So...best bet is to try them out. Some bike shops have demo programs, or just bring your bike to the shop and stick on different saddles and see what your tushies like best. 

2012-04-15 7:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Did my 20 mile run yesterday! All and all it went pretty well. I stuck to my plan and felt pretty good about the run.

Officially my taper doesn't start till the weekend but I'm over the hump for sure........Cool

2012-04-15 9:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Looks like everyone is having a great weekend and some success with their training. Everyone keep up the great work..Two weeks out from my first tri of the year.. I've been so busy with life in general that training has been hard to fit in. This is the first time in two years that I've struggled to get the training end but I will continue to take it stride.. Also been having a lot of pain in my left foot so I'm thinking a trip to the doctor is in order to make sure there are no stress fractures..Hope everyone has a great week.. Sorry it took me so long to chime in but I should be able to keep in touch more.Thanks again for having me this is a great group of guys and gals.. Happy training to all..
2012-04-15 9:18 PM

New user
Walterboro
Not really sure what happened today.  Work has been crazy so it turns out I've had a little break since Wednesday.  First time all year that I've not been some sort of training.  I thought the few days off would have me feeling a little rested.  So today I swam 2100 yds and rode almost 30 miles.  I think it was the worst I've felt all year.  My swim time was about the same and bike was average for me but it was a huge struggle.  My legs felt tired and it was a huge struggle mentally.  Anyone have any thoughts on what caused that?  I guess I just need to not miss anymore workouts.
2012-04-15 10:27 PM
in reply to: #4152504

User image

Master
Sin City

Wesley12 - 2012-04-15 7:18 PM Not really sure what happened today.  Work has been crazy so it turns out I've had a little break since Wednesday.  First time all year that I've not been some sort of training.  I thought the few days off would have me feeling a little rested.  So today I swam 2100 yds and rode almost 30 miles.  I think it was the worst I've felt all year.  My swim time was about the same and bike was average for me but it was a huge struggle.  My legs felt tired and it was a huge struggle mentally.  Anyone have any thoughts on what caused that?  I guess I just need to not miss anymore workouts.

I noticed that this is the first time in quite a while since you had 3 days in a row (Last time was in Feb).  It is possible that your mental fatigue and physical fatigue has caught up with you.    I would suggest to write a little more in your logs on how you felt that day.    See how you feel tomorrow when you do your workout. If you have hard intervals planned, I would at least try, and if you feel like 'screw it', just change it to an easy run/ride.

I've had a few days of those, and normally I have one bad SBR a month. Either it's because of mental exhaustion, physical exhaustion (this is a little less common), severe insomnia, or it's just hormones (I like to blame it on those at times. *winks*). 

I would just chalk it up as a bad day, and continue on for the next day. Give yourself some goodness - chocolate milk, hot chocolate, cake, pizza, or a bag of HoHos. 

2012-04-16 4:44 AM
in reply to: #4152601

User image

Expert
I am back from the great western adventure. Arizona was awesome. We did a lot of driving and saw everything. I did a lot of hiking and eating. I am back and signed up for weight watchers for men on line. My rich cousin has drafted me for his company cycling team for a century in northern Virginia this summer so I need to get in gear! Good to be back.Kirk

2012-04-16 7:56 AM
in reply to: #4152601

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CyborgQueen - 2012-04-15 11:27 PM

Wesley12 - 2012-04-15 7:18 PM Not really sure what happened today.  Work has been crazy so it turns out I've had a little break since Wednesday.  First time all year that I've not been some sort of training.  I thought the few days off would have me feeling a little rested.  So today I swam 2100 yds and rode almost 30 miles.  I think it was the worst I've felt all year.  My swim time was about the same and bike was average for me but it was a huge struggle.  My legs felt tired and it was a huge struggle mentally.  Anyone have any thoughts on what caused that?  I guess I just need to not miss anymore workouts.

I noticed that this is the first time in quite a while since you had 3 days in a row (Last time was in Feb).  It is possible that your mental fatigue and physical fatigue has caught up with you.    I would suggest to write a little more in your logs on how you felt that day.    See how you feel tomorrow when you do your workout. If you have hard intervals planned, I would at least try, and if you feel like 'screw it', just change it to an easy run/ride.

I've had a few days of those, and normally I have one bad SBR a month. Either it's because of mental exhaustion, physical exhaustion (this is a little less common), severe insomnia, or it's just hormones (I like to blame it on those at times. *winks*). 

I would just chalk it up as a bad day, and continue on for the next day. Give yourself some goodness - chocolate milk, hot chocolate, cake, pizza, or a bag of HoHos. 

I agree with DJ, I think some mental fatigue may have played into it with the work stress.  Then jumping into a big workout day.  3 days off though shouldn't have any impact on fitness, more than likely the opposite.

2012-04-16 7:57 AM
in reply to: #4152719

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

gator22 - 2012-04-16 5:44 AM I am back from the great western adventure. Arizona was awesome. We did a lot of driving and saw everything. I did a lot of hiking and eating. I am back and signed up for weight watchers for men on line. My rich cousin has drafted me for his company cycling team for a century in northern Virginia this summer so I need to get in gear! Good to be back.Kirk

Sounds like a great adventure!  They are pushing the weight watchers quite a bit with Charles Barkley, it will be interesting to hear what you think!

2012-04-16 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I got hooked on the ISM Adamo saddle back in 2006 after prostate cancer.  They are big on the tri circuit now. But as Ken said, butts are an individual matter.  Try different saddles and see.

Wes, one hard workout? Forgetaboutit. Remember, key word = FUN.  When they start paying you for this stuff, start beating yourself up and not until, OK?  Otherwise this is a hobby, approach to fitness, avocation. FUN!  So many things can affect RPE, perceived effort.  That's why it's good to train with an HR or power.  The numbers don't lie to you.  You probably did really well. 

I've been losing weight.  Down to 208 after eating breakfast and coffee.  Forgot to weight before.  So I'm lower still.  That would be about 20 pounds since Jan. 1 on Paleo and despite adding lots of muscle with kettlebells.   Run times are falling.

Taking semi private lessons in the pool.  Had one yesterday.  The guy is good.  But every time he gives me a new drill, it kicks my butt.  I feel weak and stupid.  And then he has me swim and I swim like a fish.  Awesome progress.  Can't wait to see how it translate into time in the pool.  I am on my sides 95% of the time and getting better.  Minimal plowing.  Yea! 

Running today and hour.  Kettle bells this afternoon.  More muscle anatomy for the coaching class during the day.  Trying to get this section done today so I can move on.   Enjoying the learning but anatomy makes my head hurt.

2012-04-16 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4150222

User image

Maine
Ah, very interesting Adam, thanks! I guess I'll start with chocolate milk and see if I notice anything difference. I first need to step up my training in order to need a recovery drink! Wink
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kenj - triathletes in training CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 78