BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-01-01 2:26 PM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED
I'm in the midst of my Annual Manic New Years Day cleaning frenzy. Normally this comes around every time there is a taper, major holiday, change of the season etc., "Cleaned" the last of the gin out of the liquor cabinet last night.

Randy, red wine always makes me feel horrible. Beer is for pre-carbo loading the night before your hard workouts!

Going out for my run in a bit.

2013-01-01 2:47 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

What a great day everyone - Nicole so glad you enjoyed your run.

I took DH and 2 friends snowshoeing to a spot where we normally mountain bike.  OMG 5 miles and my legs and hips are toast.  It's that awesome so tired feeling......and now onto pjs and the couch for the rest of the day

huh.  Elevation gain felt like more than 383'!  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/256747515

Happy 2013

2013-01-01 3:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

My first workout of the year is in.  Took the dogs for a quick mile walk around the creek to get the legs moving & then jumped on the bike for a 1 mile warm up.

Then I went on one of my favorite training rides.  It's not so great on distance, only 15.25 miles, but its the geography that makes it interesting.  Just a mile in there a sharp downhill run that leads to a 6 mile slow straight decline. The wind at this time of year is always to my back on the out ride although pretty calm today, just 3 mph. Then I have to turn around!  Six miles of slow incline ending in a sharp hill with the wind in my face.

Last year I was happy when I got under an hour as I was new and just getting in to riding.  Turned it today in 49:24 or just over 18.5 mph.  My best time by a long shot.  My goal for this ride is under 45 minutes before my next event in April.  I've really gotta work on that hill.

Only thing left for today is some yoga later with my wife.

Now if only I can make some progress on my run!Frown

2013-01-01 4:00 PM
in reply to: #4556631

User image

Calgary, AB
Holy cow Stuart -- fantastic improvement on the bike.  Great start to the year!  
2013-01-01 4:40 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Did the post-Christmas clean up with my wife after sleeping in till 10:00am. Actually got in a nice gentle 10k followed by a strength work out. I have an ice climb at the end of this month and I start the official Tri training in Feb. It's going to be tough combining the two sports until my body gets used to it. Looking forward to a great new year in physical fitness. You guys are definitely gonna stretch me.
2013-01-01 5:02 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Great to see everyone off to a good start for the New Year! Short easy run completed. Hopefully, the calf issues are behind me...but I'm going to continue to take it really easy.

Hate for the holidays to end but I'm looking forward to getting back into our usual schedule. Daughter starts back at school on Jan. 3 and son heads back on 3rd as well. Things should be exciting in Tuscaloosa over the next 5-6 days

Randy

2013-01-01 6:03 PM

User image

Expert
39 mile trainer ride done!  I ws so tempted to take a nap after work instead of going out into the cold garage to ride my trainer.  Now I feel great having got this done.  Couldn't bear the thought of not doing something for New Year's Day. 
2013-01-01 8:19 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nice job today for everyone who got in their new years day workouts.

I got mine in but did not feel good at all.

No more partying like I'm a rock star.
2013-01-01 9:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton
I slept until 9.30 am this morning ... longest I have slept in a long time. I made it until about 12.03 am and was in dreamland a few seconds later. Too much drinking though ... I am glad I took some ibuprofen and drank plenty of water before falling asleep. Did a short 15 minute TRX workout this morning. I brought my girls roller skating and I can't believe how exhausting that was. I got a short 2 mile run in to check out the knee and it held up alright I guess. Its not as much as I wanted to do today but at least I got something done ... :-)
2013-01-02 6:26 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Good morning all!!

Had a good 1400 yard swim today - data available if you are interested......I did some tennis balls drills and some kicking drills.  Hopefully my new Bernhardt book will be here today and if I'm so inclined I'll do some heart rate testing on the bike later too.

Today DH's car is going in for service so he's got mine and I get a work from home/pj day.

Hope you all have a good day and a good training session, whatever you decide to do.

2013-01-02 7:30 AM
in reply to: #4557299

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
mtnbikerchk - 2013-01-02 7:26 AM

Good morning all!!

Had a good 1400 yard swim today - data available if you are interested......I did some tennis balls drills and some kicking drills.  Hopefully my new Bernhardt book will be here today and if I'm so inclined I'll do some heart rate testing on the bike later too.

Today DH's car is going in for service so he's got mine and I get a work from home/pj day.

Hope you all have a good day and a good training session, whatever you decide to do.

Hope you like the Bernhardt book. My coach has been sending me all of my swim workouts lately but I have been planning to pull it out and start doing some of her workouts again. It is very good.

2013-01-02 8:23 AM

User image

New user

Hi everyone,

I am doing most of my exercising indoors right now out of weather necessity.  I have been putting the treadmill on a 1 incline.

What do I need to do on the stationary bike in terms of settings to more closely mirror actual "riding"?

Thanks,

Mary

2013-01-02 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Swim- Check, Bike later today.

Question for those of you who live up North.

We're going to Colorado for a few days. The pool that I'll be swimming at is heated but outdoors. What is the warmest way to get from the locker room to the pool and back again? Some my friends at Masters (who grew up in NY) said you run from the locker to the pool and don't even stop to get your towel. Any other suggestions? I don't want to look like the stupid Texan at the pool. What exactly do you wear to and from the pool? Anything besides your swim suit?
2013-01-02 8:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Had my first Masters practice today. Those guys make me feel SLOW.  That's good though! Hopefully if I keep at it, I'll be able to keep up with them some day! I was happy that the coach took me aside once to give me some pointers on my form. 

I'm going to have to work on being a morning person. Waking up at 5:15am to get to the pool at 6 is something I'm going to need to get used to.

Training schedule calls for a short Z2 workout today and I'll get that done at lunch. Also hope to get my bike re-fit after work in order to get my aero bars feeling better on my wrists.

2013-01-02 8:34 AM
in reply to: #4557487

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Catwoman - 2013-01-02 8:24 AM Swim- Check, Bike later today. Question for those of you who live up North. We're going to Colorado for a few days. The pool that I'll be swimming at is heated but outdoors. What is the warmest way to get from the locker room to the pool and back again? Some my friends at Masters (who grew up in NY) said you run from the locker to the pool and don't even stop to get your towel. Any other suggestions? I don't want to look like the stupid Texan at the pool. What exactly do you wear to and from the pool? Anything besides your swim suit?

LOL now that's funny.  We are going to CO at the end of the month and this never occurred to me Are you staying in a resort where you'll never see those people again?  I'd just go with it!

2013-01-02 8:43 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Catwoman - 2013-01-02 8:24 AM Swim- Check, Bike later today. Question for those of you who live up North. We're going to Colorado for a few days. The pool that I'll be swimming at is heated but outdoors. What is the warmest way to get from the locker room to the pool and back again? Some my friends at Masters (who grew up in NY) said you run from the locker to the pool and don't even stop to get your towel. Any other suggestions? I don't want to look like the stupid Texan at the pool. What exactly do you wear to and from the pool? Anything besides your swim suit?

WETSUIT!

Randy

2013-01-02 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Randy, I would love to see the look on coaches face if I showed up wearing my wetsuit! lol..

I've done Alcatraz so it can't be that much colder can it? Actually the water was cold but once you got out it wasn't that bad. BTW- Escape from Alcatraz is something that should be on every triathletes bucket list.

We're going up for business and to meet my coach. Trying to figure out what we can do to fix this swim. You know your swim is bad when your Father in law starts clipping out swim coaching articles and sending them to you.

Edited by Catwoman 2013-01-02 8:59 AM
2013-01-02 9:10 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

In my only HIM the air temp was around 32 when we started the swim. Fortunately the water was around 73-74 so it wasn't bad at all once you got in. It was so cold there was frost on the visor of my helmet when I got to T1

Randy

2013-01-02 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4557485

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Chunga - 2013-01-02 9:23 AM

Hi everyone,

I am doing most of my exercising indoors right now out of weather necessity.  I have been putting the treadmill on a 1 incline.

What do I need to do on the stationary bike in terms of settings to more closely mirror actual "riding"?

Thanks,

Mary

Mary, I wouldn't too much about "actual" riding conditions. Really just being on the bike, keeping a high pedaling cadence, and just getting time in will add to your bike fitness. On the other hand, some of the bikes at my gym have programs you can go through, and one of those might help simulate real world conditions.

2013-01-02 9:49 AM

User image

Calgary, AB

Catwoman - 2013-01-02 7:24 AM Swim- Check, Bike later today. Question for those of you who live up North. We're going to Colorado for a few days. The pool that I'll be swimming at is heated but outdoors. What is the warmest way to get from the locker room to the pool and back again? Some my friends at Masters (who grew up in NY) said you run from the locker to the pool and don't even stop to get your towel. Any other suggestions? I don't want to look like the stupid Texan at the pool. What exactly do you wear to and from the pool? Anything besides your swim suit?

Finally, a mentoring question I'm qualified to answer!

Rene -- your note reminds me of when I took my brother & his family (all from Atlanta) to the Banff Hot Springs in January.   Pool temperature:  100F.  Air temperature:  0F.  If you got your head too far out of the pool, your hair would freeze.  Quite funny as the kids were all OK (short enough to be close to the warm water) but my brother and I are both 6 foot plus -- constant head freeze.  Smile

There are different ways to deal with it -- the key is to get dry as soon as possible.  What I typically do is wear a nice, warm, dry, fuzzy sweatshirt out on the pool deck.  It'll keep you surprisingly warm (at least for the few minutes of cold that you'll face).    And trust me, you won't be the only one out there like that.    Then when you get out of the pool -- quick towel-dry, and put the sweatshirt on immediately.  Wrap the towel around your hips and you'll be in decent shape.

Even better is to grab two towels (if they'll let you).  Towel 1, you use to dry off your body -- then wrap on your head  (particularly if you have long hair).  Towel 2 then is nice and dry, and you can wrap around your shoulders (if no sweatshirt) or your hips (if you have sweatshirt).

In any case -- do minimize your time outside -- but this should take the edge off a bit.   Getting warm after a cold swim is one of a northerner's great pleasures in life.  (Right up there with having a hot chocolate by a roaring fire, and putting on comfy winter boots after a day wearing those dreadful concrete downhill ski boots!)

Good luck!

Scott.

2013-01-02 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4557485

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Chunga - 2013-01-02 9:23 AM

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Mary

I would do my best to mirror the dimensions of your regular bike on the stationary bike. Seat height. Seat position in relation to the crank (is the nose of your seat behind, even with, or ahead of the center of your crank?) Reach to the handlebars. Handlebar height in relation to your seat. You can use a tape measure to get most of these measurements on your bike. Write them down. Take said measurements to the gym and set up the stationary bike to mimic them as close as possible. Then write down the stationary bike settings so next time you can dial them in very quickly.

With all of that being said, even if your measurements are off somewhat, you will still get a lot of benefit out of spinning the pedals and spending the time on the bike. Even a stationary bike .

Edited by wannabefaster 2013-01-02 11:31 AM

2013-01-02 2:39 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Mary-I think Jason was spot on with his advice. Try to mimic things as much as possible but the main thing is to stay consistent with your training.

For whatever reason my coach has been incorporating alot of ankle band swim sets into my workouts lately. I've used a band off and on over the years as a kind of drill work but never for longer distances or timed sets. With the band sets in warm up and 12x50 band set in the main swim I ended up with 800 yards swimming with an ankle band in a 3000 yard workout. It was exhausting but what a difference it makes when you take the band off.....those first hundred yards or so seem so easy. I guess it helps but boy was I whipped when I got out of the pool. Optional easy spin on the bike this evening.

Anyone see an increase in numbers at the pool/gym with the New Year?  I counted 3 new swimmers while I was in the pool today.

Randy 

2013-01-02 3:16 PM

User image

Master
Rene: I'm trying to get motivated for some deep cleaning around here!

Stuart: Awesome improvement on the bike! I'm hoping for some myself soon with the new road bike.

I've only gotten in some pull ups and an indoor soccer game since the new year. My kids are wearing me out this break! By the time I have a chance to train, I'm too dang tired.

Kids are back to school next week and my training routine back to normal.
2013-01-02 4:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

I had a followup with my PT on my leg issues and we were talking about things you could do to build upper body strength at home without any equipment.  We discussed pushups, which I am not very good at, so he suggested the following routine given that I have stairs in the house.

With my feet on the ground I put my hands of the fifth step and do pushups that way.  Not much angle and easier to do than on the floor.  Then drop down a step (moving the feet back) which will make them a bit harder and do half of what I did on the previous step.  Continue down the stairs until you hit a minimum five on a step, then stop.  So I am doing:

Step 5 – 40

Step 4 – 20

Step 3 – 10

Step 2 – 5

Step 1 – 5

I have done it twice today.  He wants me to do a minimum 2, max 4 per day.  I think it is a lot more useful than doing six or seven pushups on the floor and then stopping because that is all I can do. I will let everyone know how its proceeding but I thought an idea worth sharing.

2013-01-02 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area

Renee-My pool is indoors so I've never had to do that but all I can think of is maybe some warm slippers to slip your feet into when you get out of the pool. I hate cold feet.

No training for me today. I woke up with a migraine and then my lower back seized up. It's a problem I have on and off. Hopefully will be ok to bike tomorrow but today's not my best day. Also it's the second swim I've missed this week and I missed last week's swim too so I'm feeling kind of guilty.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66