BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2007-12-21 4:30 PM
in reply to: #1113910

User image

Master
Fort Worth
Subject: RE: TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry!
TriAya - 2007-12-21 1:59 PM

Hi everyone! Wow, so much going on with everybody ... hey Shaun, you know, sometimes we gotta put off training to live life. You're a very fit fellow who's done a lot of training and your fitness base isn't gonna shrink to nothing just 'cause you take some time off. If anything ... the kids keep you hopping!

We're all crazy busy, so here's a thought for the holidays: something is better than nothing. In other words, don't feel guilty skipping a workout ... take the kids for a walk around the block after dinner. Do half a workout. Split it up. Or just cheerfully realize that life throws ya curve balls, and your body could probably use the break anyway.

Frankly, I don't think anyone in this group has a problem being a slacker--if anything, it's all the opposite! Have a great weekend, and warm and happy holidays to all! I'll be lurking most of the time so check in, comment, chat, whatever if you like.

Yup that will be me a slacker the rest of this week due to my knee. However I dodn't know how to stop so i will continue to swim that doesn't seem to bother it.  

2007-12-21 4:34 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
TriAya - 2007-12-21 3:59 PM

Hi everyone! Wow, so much going on with everybody ... hey Shaun, you know, sometimes we gotta put off training to live life. You're a very fit fellow who's done a lot of training and your fitness base isn't gonna shrink to nothing just 'cause you take some time off. If anything ... the kids keep you hopping!

We're all crazy busy, so here's a thought for the holidays: something is better than nothing. In other words, don't feel guilty skipping a workout ... take the kids for a walk around the block after dinner. Do half a workout. Split it up. Or just cheerfully realize that life throws ya curve balls, and your body could probably use the break anyway.

Frankly, I don't think anyone in this group has a problem being a slacker--if anything, it's all the opposite! Have a great weekend, and warm and happy holidays to all! I'll be lurking most of the time so check in, comment, chat, whatever if you like.

LOL

When I read this the first time, I was reading fast and I thought you said that none of us had a problem being a slacker as in we find it easy to be a slacker -

i was thinking

Waidaminute!  that doesn't sound like Yanti! 

LOL- guess it helps to actually read - anyway, it made me giggle so I had to post it

2007-12-21 5:08 PM
in reply to: #1113955

User image

Melon Presser
HCS5QA - 2007-12-21 4:30 PM

We're all crazy busy, so here's a thought for the holidays: something is better than nothing. In other words, don't feel guilty skipping a workout ... take the kids for a walk around the block after dinner. Do half a workout. Split it up. Or just cheerfully realize that life throws ya curve balls, and your body could probably use the break anyway.

Yup that will be me a slacker the rest of this week due to my knee. However I dodn't know how to stop so i will continue to swim that doesn't seem to bother it.  

Proper recovery = wise and disciplined triathlete!!! (not slacker)

Hope your knee is better soon ... take a hint from Beth and DO NOT do anything other than swim with it until it is ALL better ... then wait a day or two!

2007-12-21 9:18 PM
in reply to: #1113991

User image

Master
Fort Worth
TriAya - 2007-12-21 3:08 PM
HCS5QA - 2007-12-21 4:30 PM

Proper recovery = wise and disciplined triathlete!!! (not slacker)

Hope your knee is better soon ... take a hint from Beth and DO NOT do anything other than swim with it until it is ALL better ... then wait a day or two!

I promise to be good. 

2007-12-21 9:46 PM
in reply to: #1088776

User image

Master
Victoria BC
If I waited till there was no knee pain, I would probably never train. Kidding well kind of after surgery on both it is something I deal with. Nothing major just really hard to train when it gets colder out. I do believe in rest for injuries as I am told by my doctor that this is now a lifetime thing. So I am learning what I can do and how much of it with out being in pain. I think that the training has actually helped me with this as my knee gets exercised regularly and doesn't get time to stiffen up.
2007-12-21 9:51 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
I am so excited for the New Year to come. I am stoked about swimming more (which is really weird) because I think it will be where I get to see the most improvement. Biking I can't wait just because it is new for me well road biking. Running that doesn't really excite me but I have 2 5 k's planned Jan and March. 2 10k's April and July. 2 half marry's May and October and I hope to have 3 sprints and maybe an Oly this year, scheduled dates for some races aren't out so I am not sure exactly what I can get into.

2007-12-22 12:36 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Wow, Shawn, your excitement is totally contagious! I admit I've gotten a little too used to my fairly laid-back training schedule this month (although I love that "laid back" for me is now three days a week of swimming and twice a week of running). I'm not dreading starting my formal tri training in a week, but I'm not exactly looking forward to it either. I'm sure I'll come around, though, and reading your post got me excited.

I have (yet another) swim question for the experts. I had another good swim last night but I could really feel it in my arms. I think this is a good thing for me, because I'd rather my strength be a limiting factor than my fitness. But today my arms are a little sore. That's fine -- I like feeling sore! -- but I want to make sure I'm sore in the right places. I'm not sure what muscle it is exactly, but in both arms I'm a little sore in the upper arm/lower shoulder (so biceps or deltoids?). Like, you know those shoulder lift machines they have at the gym? Or when you do shoulder lifts with free weights? That's where I feel sore; I mostly feel it when I lift my arms straight up to the side. Is that a good thing or not? Are those muscles I *should* be working with my swim? (It's definitely not a rotator cuff issue, so I'm not worried about developing a repetitive stress injury.)

I hope everyone's having a great holiday so far! I'll be heading down south (Thousand Oaks, for those of you in the SoCal area) tomorrow and will hopefully be able to get in a few runs. But I'm definitely looking forward to the break from work. In fact, I'm at work right now. Ugh.
2007-12-22 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Yeah well those are all running races I have listed and that is usually what I do every year. well the second half marathon is new. It is usually on when I am on my 5 days of golf tournaments so this year I can run in it. I start school in January so I will be able to do swimming in the morning where as when I am at work I start to early for the pool to open and have time to swim so this will help me get in 3 times a week. It is only for 10 weeks but I hope to have some improvement in then so that I can get a couple nights and a weekend swim in after that. It is nice and sunny out a little cool out but I can't go for a ride gf is at work and I have to watch the kids. But tonight we go with the other people that live around us on our block down to the ocean and light tea light candles in little paper bags and place them all over the beach when the tide is out it looks so cool.

I hope to get a 10 k run in tomorrow should be a nice slow run around 1:00- 1:10 depending on how I am feeling didn't run last week so might be more around 1:10. Visiting the gf parents after Christmas will take my runner to do treadmill and swimming as they ahve a good gym and pool in their building!!

Have the Resolution run on Jan 1 I am sure many others do also nice little 5 k with the gf who is just starting to run and do races so that is very cool for me to see her finish. I don't go for times when I am with her. I am there to get her pace and keep her consistent. We did one a couple weeks ago and started out and were last for the longest time. We kept it steady and just started passing more and more people it was great she felt so good and realized that her consistent training was working for her. I find it so much more rewarding seeing others reach their goals. I have lead learn to run clinics for 3.5 years and watching them on their first race is always a great day for both of us.

Wow I am just blabbering and so many topics sorry all it just came out.

Hope all have a safe and happy holiday season!!
2007-12-22 3:23 PM

User image

Master
Fort Worth

Well i think my knee is better so i will hit the pavement tomorrow. I just finished a gym session followed by some easy swimming. With that said i have four days off also and i'm heading out for the rest of the day. Everyone have a good weekend.

Merry Christmas 

2007-12-22 5:22 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Happy Holidays to everyone!  I hope you are all safe, happy, and healthy and that Santa brings you all the tri gear on your lists!!!
2007-12-22 5:36 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
My wish was to have my bike paid off. that way next year I can get a tri bike and have this one for my winter bike

2007-12-22 6:07 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Leslie is there a website that lists Tri's in your area? I am just in Victoria BC and my gf has relatives in Seattle so i wouldn't mind looking for some races down there.
2007-12-22 6:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA

We're all crazy busy, so here's a thought for the holidays: something is better than nothing. In other words, don't feel guilty skipping a workout ... take the kids for a walk around the block after dinner. Do half a workout. Split it up. Or just cheerfully realize that life throws ya curve balls, and your body could probably use the break anyway.

well i took your advice yanti and did a nice 50 miler this morning. it was only 28degrees when i left, but it felt great. plus traffic was not an issue this morning. sunday i hope hold more of the same.

hector what did you do to your knee. i went to my orthopedic yesterday to find out that i have a partially torn acl. enough of a tear to cause instability in the knee, but luckily not enough for surgery. i was given the go ahead to keep on training-including running and lots of biking.

have a great holiday everyone.....and keep on training!!!!
2007-12-22 6:46 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Supplements and vitamins who takes them and do you think you get a benefit from them?
2007-12-23 9:15 AM

Regular

I just wanted to tell you all MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! 

I'm visiting family in GA, so that's why I've been MIA.  It's so hard to get in decent workouts over the holidays, especially when it won't stop raining!  I'm getting frustrated with it.  I can't wait to go home and be back on my normal schedule.

Oh well...off to ride on my in-laws crappy old stationary.

2007-12-23 10:19 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Christmas Glitter Graphics

Hi Everyone!

I'm here in lovely St Louis visiting my parents for the Holiday - I'll be back in action on the 27th.  I might be able to sneak in a post here and there, but I won't be around much

Take care and have a great week!

2007-12-23 11:56 AM
in reply to: #1114589

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

ShawnC13 - 2007-12-22 4:07 PM Leslie is there a website that lists Tri's in your area? I am just in Victoria BC and my gf has relatives in Seattle so i wouldn't mind looking for some races down there.

Here is one site...... http://www.trifind.com/wa.html

I don't know if you are looking at sprints or olys or ??  There are others that aren't listed here, like the seafair tri....but this is a pretty good list to start with.  Feel free to ask me any questions about the ones I have done or am doing.  I have a pretty good list on my blog.

Here's another site, with lots of races, also includes Oregon.  http://www.racecenter.com/

Edited by Medusa_Ann 2007-12-23 11:58 AM
2007-12-23 12:22 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Thanks for the links I will take a look at them for sure.
2007-12-23 2:34 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Here is a visit from my little Santa to all of you

(DSC_0190.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
DSC_0190.jpg (73KB - 6 downloads)
2007-12-23 5:33 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Ok so I probably should have done as much as I did but I do feel ok now will wait until tomorrow.

This morning ran like 6.5K. I had some free time so I went swimming swam 400m doing 50m front 50 back. I was so happy to get through that distance I did take some breaks. I found that if I don't kick as hard and use my arms more I can go further. Does that mean I just need to do more kicking drills or could I be kicking to hard in the first place and get tired quicker. Finished the swim and wanted to see the new Cardio area at the Y so went and got on a Stationary for 20 minutes did a nice easy spin around 88 rpm and average 15.4 or something mph so it was nice and easy. Well I will see how I feel tomorrow but so far so good.
2007-12-23 7:54 PM
in reply to: #1114590

User image

Master
Fort Worth

wplummer - 2007-12-22 4:07 PM  hector what did you do to your knee. i went to my orthopedic yesterday to find out that i have a partially torn acl. enough of a tear to cause instability in the knee, but luckily not enough for surgery. i was given the go ahead to keep on training-including running and lots of biking. have a great holiday everyone.....and keep on training!!!!

Actually not sure but what ever it was has stopped. I probably should go to the doctor once in a while but I just rest it and then see what happens. I ran over 6 miles today and I didn't have any issues. I hope that will be it for the rest of the year. 

2007-12-24 12:57 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Hi everybody! What a delightful crew--lots to catch up and comment on.

SHAUN--

Ditto Erin, your enthusiasm rocks the house. You really are an inspiration--you juggle so many obligations yet love to train and participate in events, and getting the gf in on it, too ... nice!

If I waited till there was no knee pain, I would probably never train. Kidding well kind of after surgery on both it is something I deal with. Nothing major just really hard to train when it gets colder out. I do believe in rest for injuries as I am told by my doctor that this is now a lifetime thing. So I am learning what I can do and how much of it with out being in pain. I think that the training has actually helped me with this as my knee gets exercised regularly and doesn't get time to stiffen up.

Yeah, you're right ... there's a big difference between chronic pain/injury and acute injury. Fortunately if you take care of the acute stuff, it probably won't go chronic. I have an old back injury--the one that put me out of competitive martial arts--two vertebral stress fractures and a ruptured disk. It's always gonna hurt, but in many ways it's been a blessing. It's a great reality check on not overtraining, 'cause it's always the first thing to really hurt.

USE OF COLD/HEAT FOR INJURIES

Similar recommendations from any reputable source; I'm getting mine from the American College of Sports Medicine. (Standard caveat: when in doubt, see a doctor!)

Acute injuries--any pull, strain, twist, bang, bump, anything with inflammation--ICE ONLY for first 48 hours. .(Heat will increase inflammation, increasing pain and possibly exacerbating injury). No more than 20 minutes on. Bag of frozen peas with a cloth between skin works great After that, treat like a chronic injury.

Chronic injuries--overuse, lasting, nagging, "old injuries," etc. Heat BEFORE activity; ICE after.

That's enough for one post! (I'm going to do, like, five in a row. Catch you next post! )

2007-12-24 1:43 AM
in reply to: #1114391

User image

Melon Presser

SORENESS/SWIM 

Fielding - 2007-12-22 12:36 PM

but I want to make sure I'm sore in the right places. I'm not sure what muscle it is exactly, but in both arms I'm a little sore in the upper arm/lower shoulder (so biceps or deltoids?). Like, you know those shoulder lift machines they have at the gym? Or when you do shoulder lifts with free weights? That's where I feel sore; I mostly feel it when I lift my arms straight up to the side. Is that a good thing or not? Are those muscles I *should* be working with my swim?  I'll be heading down south (Thousand Oaks, for those of you in the SoCal area) tomorrow and will hopefully be able to get in a few runs.

For soreness--yeah, that sounds about right. Oh, and ice works wonders for everything. I'm a big fan. General recommendation is if a workout leaves you sore, take it easier the next day and do the other sports or core work.

YOU'RE HERE IN SO CAL??? For how long? Any chance you can peel yourself away for a few hours and make it down to L.A. proper for a swim lesson/girl chat/Manatee power circle? I'm PMing you my phone number (by the way, any of you are welcome to my phone number) ... gimme a call anyway.

Edited by TriAya 2007-12-24 2:26 AM
2007-12-24 1:58 AM
in reply to: #1114590

User image

Melon Presser

wplummer - 2007-12-22 6:07 PM well i took your advice yanti and did a nice 50 miler this morning. it was only 28degrees when i left, but it felt great. plus traffic was not an issue this morning. sunday i hope hold more of the same. hector what did you do to your knee. i went to my orthopedic yesterday to find out that i have a partially torn acl. enough of a tear to cause instability in the knee, but luckily not enough for surgery. i was given the go ahead to keep on training-including running and lots of biking. have a great holiday everyone.....and keep on training!!!!

50-miler?! Holy whackadogs! (Okay, so I did a 30-miler myself today, but still ). Glad you've got the green light for your knee. And you're in Glendora? Shoot, you shoulda just biked out here and said hi!

I know Glendora's a ways off and you've got kids, but same offer goes for you: if you can make it out here, I'm happy to offer free swim coaching, whatever you want.

Speaking of which, is your wife feeling better?

2007-12-24 2:15 AM
in reply to: #1114609

User image

Melon Presser

VITAMINS/SUPPLEMENTS 

ShawnC13 - 2007-12-22 6:46 PM Supplements and vitamins who takes them and do you think you get a benefit from them?

First--WHAT A GORGEOUS HOLIDAY CHEER BABY! So sweet! That pic totally made my day ... what a cutie pie.

Second--It's really difficult to eat a perfect diet in terms of daily requirements, so I take a daily "near-total" multivitamin. On supplements ... nada. I don't really have any particular needs, though. As far as sports are concerned, I'm with Joe Friel ... unless the diet and training are tweaked to near-perfect, supplementation beyond a daily multivitamin isn't going to do much good. That said, a lot of female athletes are chronically iron-deficient, so me personally, I make sure to eat some red meat a few times a week.

[By the way, a lot of the stuff I say is just what I do. It's not a recommendation.]

Edited by TriAya 2007-12-24 2:26 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya's Group: SHUT like dog on steak, sorry! Rss Feed  

of 61