BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 168

2009-05-02 12:06 AM
in reply to: #2124003

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Girl Passing on Left (FULL)
MDHillSlug - 2009-05-01 12:58 PM

If you want to see some crazy mad bike handling skilz check this out!

As the mother of a proven risk-taker, I can only say I'm very glad he wears a helmet!

To top the craziness of this spring so far, we got a notice this evening that my son's school is now under quarantine because one student has a 'probable' case of H1N1! I feel like I'm living in one of those wacky 90's apocalypse TV movies.

The joke of the day, according to my son is: they said we'd have a black president in the US when pigs fly and swine flu!

Have a great weekend - I guess we're staying home.

Trish

2009-05-02 12:49 PM
in reply to: #1863539

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
I hope it's so quiet here because everyone is out training or enjoying the day!

I started my day with a bike/run brick. Wow, it felt so good today! I haven't downloaded the data yet but it was fun, even though I got rained on during the bike.
2009-05-02 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2125599

User image

Veteran
MDHillSlug - 2009-05-02 12:49 PM

I hope it's so quiet here because everyone is out training or enjoying the day!

I started my day with a bike/run brick. Wow, it felt so good today! I haven't downloaded the data yet but it was fun, even though I got rained on during the bike.

Nice one, Nicole! It's raining here, too.

I'm just going with a run today - I'm waiting for my son to get up before I go, though. It's an old habit from when he was younger - he probably thinks I'm a silly old hen now. But I just gotta know he's okay starting the day.

Have a great day!
Trish

Ooh, I hear him!

2009-05-02 5:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
Yeah Nicole ! 
I've been out power washing the backyard deck getting ready to stain it.  Also putting the stupid landscape border back where it friggin belongs !
So .......SO .......SO TIRED !
2009-05-02 8:28 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
My ride today in the rain was about 1.2mph faster than last last week's ride on dry roads (same route). Last week I felt the ride kicked my @ss. This week I kicked @ss!
2009-05-02 8:29 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
This might be me tomorrow:

Frazz

2009-05-02 9:46 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB
Bonjour Mes Amis! I hope you have all had a fantastic week and are enjoying the weekend. The week in Quebec was absolutely incredible. It has been such a long time since I have been there but quelle belle province! I hope that everyone has an opportunity to visit Quebec City and Montreal in their lifetime. The history and culture is incredible and the food, divine- I will have a bit of work to get back on track. Unfortunately, with 44 students in tow, it was a bit difficult to work in a visit with Isabelle, but I know that I will be in the area again soon... or at least I hope to be.

I will take some time to catch up on the forum, blogs, update my log (I did have some great runs in Vieux Quebec) and also get myself rested to return to Calgary and school on Tuesday. Kids flew back home today and I am in Toronto for my Grandma's 90th birthday celebrations. Looking forward to seeing how everyone's training is coming along.
2009-05-02 11:23 PM
in reply to: #2125187

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
NoSit - 2009-05-02 12:06 AM To top the craziness of this spring so far, we got a notice this evening that my son's school is now under quarantine because one student has a 'probable' case of H1N1! I feel like I'm living in one of those wacky 90's apocalypse TV movies. The joke of the day, according to my son is: they said we'd have a black president in the US when pigs fly and swine flu! Have a great weekend - I guess we're staying home. Trish

You're not alone. We received notice today that my son's school is closed as well, through May 18th!! You've got to be kidding me. So far, his is the only school closed in our district and about 1 of a couple of dozen in the whole city of Houston! I'll go into my office and bring some work home to do, but I don't know what parents are going to do that don't have that option. And I'll be ticked if they think the kids are going to school another two weeks into the summer!
2009-05-02 11:24 PM
in reply to: #2126043

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
MDHillSlug - 2009-05-02 8:28 PM My ride today in the rain was about 1.2mph faster than last last week's ride on dry roads (same route). Last week I felt the ride kicked my @ss. This week I kicked @ss!

Way to go, Nicole!! Hope you have a great swim tomorrow!
2009-05-02 11:25 PM
in reply to: #2126111

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
run_yc_run - 2009-05-02 9:46 PM Bonjour Mes Amis! I hope you have all had a fantastic week and are enjoying the weekend. The week in Quebec was absolutely incredible. It has been such a long time since I have been there but quelle belle province! I hope that everyone has an opportunity to visit Quebec City and Montreal in their lifetime. The history and culture is incredible and the food, divine- I will have a bit of work to get back on track. Unfortunately, with 44 students in tow, it was a bit difficult to work in a visit with Isabelle, but I know that I will be in the area again soon... or at least I hope to be.

I will take some time to catch up on the forum, blogs, update my log (I did have some great runs in Vieux Quebec) and also get myself rested to return to Calgary and school on Tuesday. Kids flew back home today and I am in Toronto for my Grandma's 90th birthday celebrations. Looking forward to seeing how everyone's training is coming along.

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a great time. Is Canada going nuts as well over the swine flu?
2009-05-03 7:41 AM
in reply to: #2126167

User image

Extreme Veteran
quebec's belly button
lufferly - 2009-05-03 12:25 AM
run_yc_run - 2009-05-02 9:46 PM Bonjour Mes Amis! I hope you have all had a fantastic week and are enjoying the weekend. The week in Quebec was absolutely incredible. It has been such a long time since I have been there but quelle belle province! I hope that everyone has an opportunity to visit Quebec City and Montreal in their lifetime. The history and culture is incredible and the food, divine- I will have a bit of work to get back on track. Unfortunately, with 44 students in tow, it was a bit difficult to work in a visit with Isabelle, but I know that I will be in the area again soon... or at least I hope to be.

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a great time. Is Canada going nuts as well over the swine flu?

The health ministery is trying to calm the population down and have done a good job at informing people,so panic is low (and we don't have a lot of cases so far) but we have had heard a lot of it on the news.
Yvonne:you ran in the vieux québec, lucky you! great scenery and hills if you want some. 

2009-05-03 9:47 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
I've got my first OWS practice of the year later this afternoon. Water temp will be in the low 60's!! Surprised It will be my only chance for OWS before my race next Sunday, when it will also be in the low 60's. Last year at this race (3 weeks earlier) I couldn't breathe when I put my face in the cold water and my swim fell apart. I'm hoping to do much better this year. Hopefully the OWS today will be a confidence booster. I'll let you know how it goes later.
2009-05-03 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2126111

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
run_yc_run - 2009-05-02 10:46 PM Bonjour Mes Amis! I hope you have all had a fantastic week and are enjoying the weekend. The week in Quebec was absolutely incredible. It has been such a long time since I have been there but quelle belle province! I hope that everyone has an opportunity to visit Quebec City and Montreal in their lifetime. The history and culture is incredible and the food, divine- I will have a bit of work to get back on track. Unfortunately, with 44 students in tow, it was a bit difficult to work in a visit with Isabelle, but I know that I will be in the area again soon... or at least I hope to be.

I was in Quebec and Montreal in the late 70's on a band trip and we did some touring of the area. It was quite beautiful as I recall. We bunked in the dorms for one of the Universities but I can't remember which. I do remember having a great time.
2009-05-03 7:25 PM
in reply to: #2126043

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
MDHillSlug - 2009-05-02 9:28 PM My ride today in the rain was about 1.2mph faster than last last week's ride on dry roads (same route). Last week I felt the ride kicked my @ss. This week I kicked @ss!

SWEET REVENGE on the road !! YEAH
2009-05-03 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2126401

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
MDHillSlug - 2009-05-03 10:47 AM I've got my first OWS practice of the year later this afternoon. Water temp will be in the low 60's!! Surprised It will be my only chance for OWS before my race next Sunday, when it will also be in the low 60's. Last year at this race (3 weeks earlier) I couldn't breathe when I put my face in the cold water and my swim fell apart. I'm hoping to do much better this year. Hopefully the OWS today will be a confidence booster. I'll let you know how it goes later.

Checking in to make sure you got HOT chocolate after that chilly swim !
2009-05-03 7:31 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

I had a fun taper day today!  I planned an OWS experience -- put  my rented wetsuit on, sat my husband on the dock as my spotter, and swam up and down the bayou. It's not as salty as the gulf will be, but there were boats creating wakes, so there were rollers and "waves". A decent simulation, I think. It was amazing how buoyant the wetsuit makes you! And I really didn't have a hard time stripping it off either. I feel good about the experience. 

See, positive thoughts!!!  I'm trying hard to get past those jitters...

2009-05-03 7:32 PM
in reply to: #2127127

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
maxmansmom - 2009-05-03 8:27 PM
MDHillSlug - 2009-05-03 10:47 AM I've got my first OWS practice of the year later this afternoon. Water temp will be in the low 60's!! Surprised It will be my only chance for OWS before my race next Sunday, when it will also be in the low 60's. Last year at this race (3 weeks earlier) I couldn't breathe when I put my face in the cold water and my swim fell apart. I'm hoping to do much better this year. Hopefully the OWS today will be a confidence booster. I'll let you know how it goes later.

I survived OWS

Actually, the water temperature really wasn't bad. It was somewhere in the low 60's but I didn't have any problem putting my face in the water and breathing. I DID have issues with the wind, current and swells in one direction. It helped to breathe only to the beach side but then I was having trouble navigating. I finally gave up with swimming that direction and just did down wind/current.

This is a huge confidence booster for next week! Kinetic here I come!
2009-05-03 8:02 PM
in reply to: #2127136

User image

Extreme Veteran
quebec's belly button
MDHillSlug - 2009-05-03 8:32 PM
maxmansmom - 2009-05-03 8:27 PM

I survived OWS

Actually, the water temperature really wasn't bad. It was somewhere in the low 60's but I didn't have any problem putting my face in the water and breathing. I DID have issues with the wind, current and swells in one direction. It helped to breathe only to the beach side but then I was having trouble navigating. I finally gave up with swimming that direction and just did down wind/current.

This is a huge confidence booster for next week! Kinetic here I come!

No doubt here! you will do great i am sure!
2009-05-03 11:12 PM
in reply to: #2126164

User image

Veteran
lufferly - 2009-05-02 9:23 PM
NoSit - 2009-05-02 12:06 AM To top the craziness of this spring so far, we got a notice this evening that my son's school is now under quarantine because one student has a 'probable' case of H1N1! I feel like I'm living in one of those wacky 90's apocalypse TV movies. The joke of the day, according to my son is: they said we'd have a black president in the US when pigs fly and swine flu! Have a great weekend - I guess we're staying home. Trish

You're not alone. We received notice today that my son's school is closed as well, through May 18th!! You've got to be kidding me. So far, his is the only school closed in our district and about 1 of a couple of dozen in the whole city of Houston! I'll go into my office and bring some work home to do, but I don't know what parents are going to do that don't have that option. And I'll be ticked if they think the kids are going to school another two weeks into the summer!

Turns out it wasn't H1N1 after all, so school's back on! My poor son is stressed to the max because he's so far behind. I hope they'll give him some time to catch up.

I can only imagine what people with few options at work do. I remember poor Andria was going through a tough time earlier in the year because her day care was closed for weather issues and she had to take vacation days. So, I guess some folks just never get a real break, do they? I've been so lucky in my life ... 
2009-05-04 7:27 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Good morning everyone. Monday is already over on my side of the ocean. I got in a nice run this morning and my first swim of May this evening. The weather seems to have turned for the better. They're calling for 70 or so every day for the next week.

Have a great week...
2009-05-04 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2127133

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Sledge - 2009-05-03 8:31 PM

I had a fun taper day today!  I planned an OWS experience -- put  my rented wetsuit on, sat my husband on the dock as my spotter, and swam up and down the bayou. It's not as salty as the gulf will be, but there were boats creating wakes, so there were rollers and "waves". A decent simulation, I think. It was amazing how buoyant the wetsuit makes you! And I really didn't have a hard time stripping it off either. I feel good about the experience. 

See, positive thoughts!!!  I'm trying hard to get past those jitters...

Great job getting in the water with your wet suit. Now that you know how it fits and what it feels like in the water you should be good to go!

2009-05-04 8:43 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
I've started tapering for Sunday. I ran 3.7 miles today but it was a pretty easy effort (forgot to put on my HRM strap ). I wasn't sure my legs would feel good after Saturday's effort, but I felt very good today.
2009-05-04 7:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana

Hi Peeps, oh wow.....I miss you guys/gals !  I mean our house has a ton to be worked on, but I hate being away from my people !
Project this week is powerwash/restain the deck.....in an extremely busy week during the evenings it puts me doing it during the day ! ugh
Anyway I managed to get to the pool today, the bla bla is on my blog.
I have a lunch bike playdate tomorrow FINALLY.......... yeah
and then on Satuday is my first swim clinic complete with underwater swim video stuff.  YEAH two or three other gals from my swim group are going, so I can have someone translate what the heck they are saying.
I am sorry but I am just swim stupid, they talk about a fast 50 and a 600 bla and I just really start needing NICOLE !!!!lol

2009-05-04 7:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Back from our cruise and ready to persue my goals! Miss my group much and ready to start training and catching up with all of you.

I will try to catch up with everyone this week here and there between work and training seems like time on here is going to be slim, but will try my hardest.

I hope everyone is healthy and happy!!!!

It is time to persue my personal legend...here we go....
2009-05-04 7:43 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Hi everyone! was slammed by my job this weekend ~ we had the Asian Art Festival...worked 30 hours in the past two days. was a huge success. Will post pictures on my training blog tomorrow. Just got back from a swim and I am in the process of preparing dinner...so will catch up tomorrow...did catch up on the thread and will respond to many of you and inspire tomorrow!

nitey nite!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  

of 168