Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 132

2024-08-04 12:30 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Did a little 2300yd ows today, my normal rest day. I just couldn’t resist the chance for a bit of ows practice this week. I haven’t been out in the water much this year. A variety of reasons, but mostly because I just didn’t make it happen. The tri club swims every Monday at 6. I know this. I can go to this. I just don’t. By 6pm I’m ready for bed, not going out!!

2024-08-04 9:09 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
@Nicole, Yup, by the 2nd half of my bodyweight streak I essentially had 2 mini routines that I alternated. 1 standing up, focused on lower body, i.e. lots of squats. 1 lying down focused on core/hips, planks/deadbug etc. And push ups in both, before I hurt the elbow. I think something like that is the way to go.

@Robert, I haven't used the runna app myself, but I'm sure that it'll get you too a HM healthy and ready. 4.5miles is a nice manageable starting point. Good that the body is behaving, long may it continue.

@Gretchen, No, if you didn't tell anyone then your race planning didn't happen. Write something down, you can post or not (If you do I'm always interested to see how others operate) But I've found putting it in writing helps me get things sorted. Nice job getting a decent OWS in, and you're right, you may think you didn't practice open water enough, but I think if I swam 100% of my swims open water it would still not feel enough come race day.
2024-08-04 9:26 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Finished up the week with 3 rides Friday - Sunday and my long run Sunday morning. Which I was pretty pleased with, at 22km it is the longest run in terms of distance I've ever done. (unless we count the Ironman marathons, which I think run is a very generous word to use to describe) it felt pretty easy to be honest, first 15km was at my planned marathon pace, and then met up with my running mate for the last 6km at conversational pace and a coffee. Finished feeling I had plenty more to give. Which is a positive sign.

For the week:

Swim: x1, 26min, 1,000m
Bike, x3, 3hr, (all zwift)
Run, x5, 5hr 27min, 41.5km.
Strength and Mobility, x4, 30min

All up 9hr 22min for the week. 1 less run than planned, otherwise hitting my targets.

Into a recovery week this week, Monday is a scheduled day off, but I'm going to make it 2-3 days of 0 workouts, for 2 reasons.
1. I've picked up my first cold of the winter. Not too bad but lots of coughing/sore throat going on. Hopefully a bit of time focused on rest will help knock that on the head before it becomes Mikes anual perma-cough.

2. My left knee is injured somehow. First noticed middle of last week. It hurts when kneeling too long (noticed during bird dog bodyweight exercise) and when I go down stairs/squat with weight on that leg. A sharp pain at the front of the kneecap. Normal walking, riding and even running feels fine, so I'm not freaking out yet. I did use a knee brace for my weekend rides/runs. Maybe it helps, maybe not, but worst case won't make things worse. I'm hoping some rest will help it clear, but if not I will have to be off to see a physio towards the end of the week.
2024-08-05 7:29 AM

User image

Welcome to a new week everyone!

Easy 3.5 mile run this morning. Achilles was a bit stiff when we took off, but it loosened up in about a 1/4 mile. Felt fine the rest of the run, and feels fine walking around barefoot at home.

Here's to a new week of training or resting, depending on where everyone is! Let's gooooo!
2024-08-05 8:23 AM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Robert, cool pic in the plane! I bet the kids loved it!

Andrew, oh no re: the knee! Definitely take good care of it!

Gretchen, you ask the real questions, and the answer is, absolutely not, you must obsess to others. How is the new saddle top?

Me - I have already failed my strength challenge. I ended up with an extremely busy weekend, that involved a viewing, a bachelorette party, an axe throwing tournament, and a birthday party...
Needless to say, I was not home much, and when I was I was nearly comatose trying to recharge my batteries.

I did manage to get a pretty solid masters practice in Saturday morning. The pool was quite warm, so lots of whining ensued from others. As someone whose main sport was track and XC, I always giggle when people complain about a warm pool, though it was definitely warmer than usual.
I did 3 sets of 11 75s as the main set, and oh mannnn did that hurt, but I pushed myself to do them on 1:30 and was pretty consistent with my times. I am also apparently the only person that finished the set still doing 75s. Everyone else switched to 50s b/c it was too warm, lol. I didn't know that was an option (I was between the faster group and the slower group, so was on my own), but am happy that I ended up doing it all. Back to the strength challenge today though! I have vball playoffs tonight and am going to do my exercises when I get home since we only have one match.
2024-08-05 8:24 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Oh meant to add, 3500 yds at masters...when I finished i was at 3425 and knew that might give some of you a heart attack, so I rounded it out with another 75 (and an additional 25 kicking).

2024-08-05 8:34 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1950yd pool swim to start off the last week before MiTi!! The water was super warm--the old ladies must be winning the b!t@hing contest, because the indoor pool should not be this warm!! I was glad I only had a short workout.

Last week
4 swims 10,139.46 yds--WOOT!! finally made a 10k yd week!
4 bikes 108.54mi
4 runs 14.29 mi

Total of 14:18:xx Solid rest week.

Race Plan!
I'm still tinkering with it, mostly because I have trouble converting the targets for power to time targets for overall estimation of race paces--any good websites where I can plug in some solid data about me an my power and some iffy data about the course and get a speed estimate?

Swim
realistic goal 2:07/100, stretch 2:05/100
Performance goals: swim smooth and remember to pull with both arms, not just the right arm

T1
realistic goal 10'; stretch goal 8'
Performance goals: try to behave as if I am in the middle of a race, not a picnic

Bike
realistic 6:35:18 (17.0mph avg); stretch 17.3mph 6:28:27
Performance: hold power 150-160, spiking only on the biggest hills; be patient on the first 7 miles of each lap, because they suck

T2
Performance goal: same as T1, also remember to hit the porta-john BEFORE you take off your bike shoes so you don't waste time putting them back on (cause ain't no way on the green earth I'm stepping into a race porta without shoes on!)

Run
realistic goal 6:00:15 (honestly, this might be a stretch...who knows); stretch goal 5:53:42
Performance goals: high cadence; follow 8/1/1 Z2/Z3/Z1 plan as long as possible--at least first two laps

Total time:
realistic goal 14:34:58
stretch goal 14:06:09

2023 time 14:59:21
2022 time 16:21:59 (I think)
2024-08-05 8:39 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

1950yd pool swim to start off the last week before MiTi!! The water was super warm--the old ladies must be winning the b!t@hing contest, because the indoor pool should not be this warm!! I was glad I only had a short workout.

Last week
4 bikes 108.54mi
4 runs 14.29 mi

Race Plan!
I'm still tinkering with it, mostly because I have trouble converting the targets for power to time targets for overall estimation of race paces--any good websites where I can plug in some solid data about me an my power and some iffy data about the course and get a speed estimate?

Swim
Performance goals: swim smooth and remember to pull with both arms, not just the right arm

T1
Performance goals: try to behave as if I am in the middle of a race, not a picnic

Bike
Performance: hold power 150-160, spiking only on the biggest hills; be patient on the first 7 miles of each lap, because they suck

T2
Performance goal: same as T1, also remember to hit the porta-john BEFORE you take off your bike shoes so you don't waste time putting them back on (cause ain't no way on the green earth I'm stepping into a race porta without shoes on!)

Run
realistic goal 6:00:15 (honestly, this might be a stretch...who knows); stretch goal 5:53:42
Performance goals: high cadence; follow 8/1/1 Z2/Z3/Z1 plan as long as possible--at least first two laps

Total time:

Eek it's so soon! Looks like an amazing, well thought out plan! Please send the link to track when it's available!
2024-08-05 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, all.  Back from a weekend of debauchery in New York City...no real training but we went for a long walk around Central Park yesterday.  Planned off day today before a big week, including a 5K test on Saturday weather permitting.

@Andrew - ugh hope the knee thing doesn't bug you for too long.  That's sounds like a patella tendon issue...have you tried foam rolling the bottom of your knee, or sitting Japanese-style?  That's my limit of internet doctoring for you today.  Really good July for you!

@Gretchen:  Also great July and may your taper madness commence (or get worse I suppose) - hoping for good weather for you.  And yes, we all could use more OWS practice.  Our water quality leaves something to be desired around here, though, especially with all the rain we've had recently.  Your taper plan and race plan look great ("pull with both arms" - I know that's half joking but it's really easy to neglect your weak side when two-stroke breathing, especially if you gallop a little)

@Nicole:  I probably won't be at Masters again until the 24th - this weekend we're running a 5K race and next weekend I'm in London.  Hold down the fort for me. 

@Robert:  yes, 4.5 miles as a long run to start sounds good; for my HM training I focus on run mileage in a week vs. nailing a long run...I think the max training run I've ever done was 12 miles.  I just try to string together 3-5 weeks in the mid-30s mileage-wise and I don't worry about the one long run.  The plane ride looks so fun!

@everyone re: strength training - I agree with you all to break up the different body parts (figuratively LOL) on different days.  I have a legs day, an arms day which is push ups, dumbbells, and planks, and then a third optional session where I do upper body on the stuff at the gym I don't have at home (bench, pull ups, dips).  Then there's Bikram which is strength training but in a different sort of way.  So max 4 days a week for me.  IIRC this is more or less the Gretchen method too minus Bikram.

Speaking of hot, my indoor pool is routinely like 82-84 degrees by the time I finish my workout.  They turn off the heaters overnight and turn them back on in the morning, so it's not too bad if you get there early enough, but some mornings it's just awful.  Hell, the OWS around here is like 86 right now so it helps you acclimate. 

Hope everyone has a good week!

2024-08-05 1:11 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

The plane ride was a lot of fun, and the kids really enjoyed it! We went early enough in the morning that there was no wind while we were flying, so it was super smooth!

New strength training plan started today (also through the Runna app), and today was legs and core.

Not sure if it counts as a "PR" or not, but I have officially deadlifted the heaviest I ever have at 3x8 - 115lbs. My goal this year is to keep adding 10lbs each month to my deadlift, following a 3-week build up and 1-week de-load (3x8 / 3x10 / 3x12 / deload/rest). When I started deadlifting a couple months ago, I was only able to pull 75 lbs. I'd love to get to 2x-3x my bodyweight in deadlift weights. We'll see.
2024-08-05 9:08 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Last week
4 bikes 108.54mi
4 runs 14.29 mi

Race Plan!

Swim

T1

Bike

T2

Run

Total time:

Nice race plan, 16:21 > 14:59 > 14:lowish is quite the progression over 3 years. Nice to see all your consistency and hard work paying off.

Putting on my Coach Andrew hat: for your race plan, are there any particularly nasty pieces of the course (climbs etc.) and if so what's your plan to deal with them? Also, what's your nutrition/hydration plan? What/when/how much? And is there a back up plan for if you drop a bottle somewhere on the bike?

2024-08-06 7:16 AM

User image

Good morning team! How is everyone?

Training question for you all - how do you push through when your motivation to train a particular discipline (biking, in my case) is really low? I love the running and swimming, but the cycling is difficult to get excited for right now. I had some good rides last week, but this morning I had no desire to get on the bike at all. (I need to go play on some dirt trails, if I'm being honest)
2024-08-06 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan Good morning team! How is everyone? Training question for you all - how do you push through when your motivation to train a particular discipline (biking, in my case) is really low? I love the running and swimming, but the cycling is difficult to get excited for right now. I had some good rides last week, but this morning I had no desire to get on the bike at all. (I need to go play on some dirt trails, if I'm being honest)

I've found I can only focus on ONE of the leg-dominated disciplines at a time, plus get at it in swimming.  I have a really strong cycling background so it doesn't take long for me to ramp up, so I typically meh my way through cycling in my training plan and just try to get a few really good rides in the last 4-5 weeks before a race.  That works for sprints just fine, kinda for an Oly, but that would be no way to approach HIM/IM where the bike endurance matters so much.  Zwift racing indoors also is motivating, but I know you don't have a trainer at the moment. 

If dirt trails motivate you, then go for it.

2024-08-06 9:35 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

Last week
4 bikes 108.54mi
4 runs 14.29 mi

Race Plan!

Swim

T1

Bike

T2

Run

Total time:

Nice race plan, 16:21 > 14:59 > 14:lowish is quite the progression over 3 years. Nice to see all your consistency and hard work paying off.

Putting on my Coach Andrew hat: for your race plan, are there any particularly nasty pieces of the course (climbs etc.) and if so what's your plan to deal with them? Also, what's your nutrition/hydration plan? What/when/how much? And is there a back up plan for if you drop a bottle somewhere on the bike?

There are three hills that are basically my nemeses. Two come together and are short, punchy hills that I can muscle straight up, if I remember to get into the small chain ring before I hit the base. If I don't remember, I end up with the panic bail out trying to get my foot unclipped before I fall over (ask me how I know!). Those are just two matches burned...there is no other way for me to get up them than just blow out some serious watts for about 30". The other is a LONG steady hill that just takes patience. Sit on that saddle and churn up. I just think about how fun that hill is on the return. The course is two laps out and back, so everything I climb I get to fly back down. The entire first 7 miles is a net uphill, so that sucks, but then again, the last seven miles is quite fun! Patience is my key there.

Nutrition will be Infinit on the bike, a drink every 10' (watch beeps to remind me) and water (of course). This year I am also adding a gu about every hour. I have a tendency to under fuel with the infinit, especially when it isn't hot, because I don't drink enough. The gu should help with that. I am also hoping the change in flavor (infinit is watermelon, gu is orange) might help with my taste fatigue late on the bike. For the run, I'll start with two bottles of infinit, hope to actually consume those. Last two years I've had difficulty getting them down and resorted to drinking pepsi at every aid station, which made for some absolutely fantastic belches along the way :D .

I have frame mounted bottles--between handlebars and the cage frame, so loss of a bottle isn't really a worry. If I lose one of those bottles, I have bigger issues in my life, cause it would take a massive crash to dislodge one of them.
2024-08-06 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog  Nice race plan, 16:21 > 14:59 > 14:lowish is quite the progression over 3 years. Nice to see all your consistency and hard work paying off. Putting on my Coach Andrew hat: for your race plan, are there any particularly nasty pieces of the course (climbs etc.) and if so what's your plan to deal with them? Also, what's your nutrition/hydration plan? What/when/how much? And is there a back up plan for if you drop a bottle somewhere on the bike?

You could run it over with your bike and saw off the lid like I did in my 2022 Oly. 

@Gretchen:  I agree with Andrew, that really is a nice progression.

2024-08-06 9:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan Good morning team! How is everyone? Training question for you all - how do you push through when your motivation to train a particular discipline (biking, in my case) is really low? I love the running and swimming, but the cycling is difficult to get excited for right now. I had some good rides last week, but this morning I had no desire to get on the bike at all. (I need to go play on some dirt trails, if I'm being honest)

I've found I can only focus on ONE of the leg-dominated disciplines at a time, plus get at it in swimming.  I have a really strong cycling background so it doesn't take long for me to ramp up, so I typically meh my way through cycling in my training plan and just try to get a few really good rides in the last 4-5 weeks before a race.  That works for sprints just fine, kinda for an Oly, but that would be no way to approach HIM/IM where the bike endurance matters so much.  Zwift racing indoors also is motivating, but I know you don't have a trainer at the moment. 

In the beginning, it is all suck it up buttercup! At least for me. Once I start getting some solid workouts in and start seeing some progress, then I get more motivation to hit workouts. I'm also super visual, so when training peaks turns a workout red just because I didn't want to do it, that motivates me to do it even when I don't want to.

But like Mike said...if dirt is what gets you on the bike, do dirt! Time in the saddles the important thing early in the training cycle, so just go ride whatever makes you happy.

edited because BT doesn't like t.i.t.s as an acronym

Edited by drfoodlove 2024-08-06 9:39 AM

2024-08-06 9:41 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
40' fast finish run (that was fun!) followed almost immediately by a 60' Z2 foundation ride. A reverse brick probably isn't ideal this close to race day, but needs must today. I have to go to a funeral this morning and the afternoon is going to be stoopid hot and I don't want to put my body through that stress. Time is ticking down, have to go last minute shopping today and then will start packing this evening. I have no idea how to pack for three weeks away in a place where I don't live part of the year. My wife did kindly remind me yesterday after looking at my packing list that I might want to add some non-triathlon clothes. I hadn't included anything to wear besides tri kits and training gear.

PS...cancer sucks and I'm tired of my friends getting it and dying from it!
2024-08-06 9:45 AM

User image

Thanks for input and suggestions. I think I need to go play in the dirt a bit (cycling AND running) and remind myself that this is all for fun and enjoyment, not to become something I dread or don't look forward to. I can push through a tough workout, but it's different when it's no longer "fun" in the overall for me.
2024-08-06 8:25 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

In the beginning, it is all suck it up buttercup! At least for me. Once I start getting some solid workouts in and start seeing some progress, then I get more motivation to hit workouts. I'm also super visual, so when training peaks turns a workout red just because I didn't want to do it, that motivates me to do it even when I don't want to.

But like Mike said...if dirt is what gets you on the bike, do dirt! Time in the saddles the important thing early in the training cycle, so just go ride whatever makes you happy.

edited because BT doesn't like t.i.t.s as an acronym

Dr Gretchen for the win. 'Suck it up buttercup'

In all seriousness this is a hobby for us, it's supposed to be fun. If hitting the trails is what you love, and what will motivate you then you should do more than that. If your bike workout is something you're dreading, it's not going to be sustainable. Life is too short to spend our free time doing something you hate.

Otherwise, it's Discipline, and Routine. Motivation comes and goes (especially on early morning starts on a rainy day!) but if you have discipline, and a good routine then you get up anyway and do your run, because that's what you always do.
2024-08-06 8:31 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
There are three hills that are basically my nemeses. Two come together and are short, punchy hills that I can muscle straight up, if I remember to get into the small chain ring before I hit the base. If I don't remember, I end up with the panic bail out trying to get my foot unclipped before I fall over (ask me how I know!). Those are just two matches burned...there is no other way for me to get up them than just blow out some serious watts for about 30". The other is a LONG steady hill that just takes patience. Sit on that saddle and churn up. I just think about how fun that hill is on the return. The course is two laps out and back, so everything I climb I get to fly back down. The entire first 7 miles is a net uphill, so that sucks, but then again, the last seven miles is quite fun! Patience is my key there.

Nutrition will be Infinit on the bike, a drink every 10' (watch beeps to remind me) and water (of course). This year I am also adding a gu about every hour. I have a tendency to under fuel with the infinit, especially when it isn't hot, because I don't drink enough. The gu should help with that. I am also hoping the change in flavor (infinit is watermelon, gu is orange) might help with my taste fatigue late on the bike. For the run, I'll start with two bottles of infinit, hope to actually consume those. Last two years I've had difficulty getting them down and resorted to drinking pepsi at every aid station, which made for some absolutely fantastic belches along the way :D .

I have frame mounted bottles--between handlebars and the cage frame, so loss of a bottle isn't really a worry. If I lose one of those bottles, I have bigger issues in my life, cause it would take a massive crash to dislodge one of them.

Good well thought out answers. Coach Andrew approves.

Other than coke being the far superior soda drink, nothing wrong with hitting pepsi on the run. It's a very good combo of sugar and caffeine. For my last Ironman I was having some coke every 2nd aid station.

13:59:xx incoming.
2024-08-07 2:47 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
That’s a lot of posts since I last checked in!

Gretchen, sorry to hear about your loss. Nice race plan. I agree with your wife, you may need some other clothes.

And yes, we do this for fun, if it’s not fun, it’s not worth it. This is why I never set my foot in a pool anymore. Would I be better swimmer if I trained swimming all year round instead of 4-5 months of OWS? Probably, but I don’t care.

Achilles stiffness is back after last week’s 3 runs (especially the fast i intervals last Wednesday) so no running until Sunday. I will be in France on holiday for a week. There is a pool and hopefully I can run but no biking for a week.

2024-08-07 4:06 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Other than coke being the far superior soda drink,

AGREED!!!
2024-08-07 7:57 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Other than coke being the far superior soda drink,
AGREED!!!

You Coke disciples are just weird.  The Wife is one of them.  I couldn't care less what cola is put in front of me, though I prefer Pepsi a little bit over Coke but I don't get belligerent about it like you people. 

2024-08-07 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

In the beginning, it is all suck it up buttercup! At least for me. Once I start getting some solid workouts in and start seeing some progress, then I get more motivation to hit workouts. I'm also super visual, so when training peaks turns a workout red just because I didn't want to do it, that motivates me to do it even when I don't want to. But like Mike said...if dirt is what gets you on the bike, do dirt! Time in the saddles the important thing early in the training cycle, so just go ride whatever makes you happy. edited because BT doesn't like t.i.t.s as an acronym
Dr Gretchen for the win. 'Suck it up buttercup' In all seriousness this is a hobby for us, it's supposed to be fun. If hitting the trails is what you love, and what will motivate you then you should do more than that. If your bike workout is something you're dreading, it's not going to be sustainable. Life is too short to spend our free time doing something you hate. Otherwise, it's Discipline, and Routine. Motivation comes and goes (especially on early morning starts on a rainy day!) but if you have discipline, and a good routine then you get up anyway and do your run, because that's what you always do.

Or yeah, suck it up and HTFU. 

How about hitting that hill workout on the bike again and see if you've improved? 

2024-08-07 8:34 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Mike - I will do my best to hold down the fort for master. We had a great showing this past week!

Robert - That's awesome! Definitely count that as a PR re: your deadlift!
I'm unfortunately no help with the biking motivation. Obviously not training much now, but even when I am seriously training, I rarely jump on the bike...it's bad I know, but I also find it so boring. It's also less accessible for me b/c I have to put hours aside to get a solid ride in since I live in a city and have to travel to find open roads. I'm fine when I have someone I'm meeting, but then find I don't push that hard and it's not really that great of a training ride.
I also do short races, and this is one of the reasons I don't think I would ever do anything over an Oly.

Gretchen - I'm so sorry for your loss! Cancer does suck! Channel your pain into your race this weekend.
I'm glad you had your wife look over your list. Ever the pragmatist. Just remember, most things can be replaced when you get to where you're going, so make sure you have the necessary stuff (like the bike...unless you really want a new one, but I don't think you do in this scenario... )

Nat - Take care of that achilles! France is a great place to rest it!

re: Coke vs. Pepsi, I'm similar to Mike in that if I need a soda, I don't really care, though do tend toward Coke...
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 132

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1013 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland