Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 132

2024-08-07 8:42 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
As for me, I ended up playing a lot more vball on Monday. After our match, which we lost (my partner and I really haven't been vibing...I think I'm going to tell her she can feel free to find a new partner, and I will either sub for a bit, or find another one myself), we still had the courts for awhile so got some much better games in.

Had my grass doubles league last night, and played for close to 3 hours.

Took it easy the last 2 mornings and have definitely not been doing my strength, but feel really good about all the volleyball, which is certainly strength in itself.

I also saw my lowest weight on the scale this morning in a long time...164.9! I don't think I've been below 165 in 2 years. Feeling really great about it. I'm still doing Noom and have been super consistent with tracking food, which really makes all the difference for me. Even if I have days where I overeat, it's balanced with days where I'm very aware of what I'm putting in my body. My goal is another 10 lbs or so. I've been losing pretty slowly, but I'm totally fine with this b/c I think if I drop too quickly I will lose my focus. Overall, I was pushing high 170s in January, so am THRILLED with ~15 lbs in ~7 months.

2024-08-07 9:16 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan Good morning team! How is everyone? Training question for you all - how do you push through when your motivation to train a particular discipline (biking, in my case) is really low? I love the running and swimming, but the cycling is difficult to get excited for right now. I had some good rides last week, but this morning I had no desire to get on the bike at all. (I need to go play on some dirt trails, if I'm being honest)

I've found I can only focus on ONE of the leg-dominated disciplines at a time, plus get at it in swimming.  I have a really strong cycling background so it doesn't take long for me to ramp up, so I typically meh my way through cycling in my training plan and just try to get a few really good rides in the last 4-5 weeks before a race.  That works for sprints just fine, kinda for an Oly, but that would be no way to approach HIM/IM where the bike endurance matters so much.  Zwift racing indoors also is motivating, but I know you don't have a trainer at the moment. 

If dirt trails motivate you, then go for it.

In the beginning, it is all suck it up buttercup! At least for me. Once I start getting some solid workouts in and start seeing some progress, then I get more motivation to hit workouts. I'm also super visual, so when training peaks turns a workout red just because I didn't want to do it, that motivates me to do it even when I don't want to. But like Mike said...if dirt is what gets you on the bike, do dirt! Time in the saddles the important thing early in the training cycle, so just go ride whatever makes you happy. edited because BT doesn't like t.i.t.s as an acronym
Dr Gretchen for the win. 'Suck it up buttercup' In all seriousness this is a hobby for us, it's supposed to be fun. If hitting the trails is what you love, and what will motivate you then you should do more than that. If your bike workout is something you're dreading, it's not going to be sustainable. Life is too short to spend our free time doing something you hate. Otherwise, it's Discipline, and Routine. Motivation comes and goes (especially on early morning starts on a rainy day!) but if you have discipline, and a good routine then you get up anyway and do your run, because that's what you always do.

Or yeah, suck it up and HTFU. 

How about hitting that hill workout on the bike again and see if you've improved? 

I'll get back on the bike next week. I need a week off it to clear my head from it, and go find some dirt to play in.

Also, I prefer Pepsi to Coke...and Mtn Dew is my go-to when I do drink soda. My wife LOVES Pepsi, for what it's worth.
2024-08-07 9:18 AM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

Today was a 3 segment interval/tempo run, and I'm quite excited about how it went!

• 8 mile warm up at 10:30
  • 1.2 miles at 9:00
  • 6 miles at 8:40
  • 6 miles at 8:40
  • 90 seconds rest between intervals

HR was in the 180s, which I expected, but other than that, everything was flawless at the faster paces. I'm now rethinking my race plan for the run portion of the race next month. I was thinking of going on the easy side and aim for a 30:xx run. Now I'm thinking I could dip into the upper 29s/28s, depending on the bike portion.
    2024-08-07 10:07 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
    Well done on your weight loss so far Nicole, you’re on a roll now!
    2024-08-07 10:56 AM
    in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Well done on your weight loss so far Nicole, you’re on a roll now!

Agreed! Way to stick with it!!!
    2024-08-07 11:36 AM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan Today was a 3 segment interval/tempo run, and I'm quite excited about how it went! .8 mile warm up at 10:30 1.2 miles at 9:00 .6 miles at 8:40 .6 miles at 8:40 90 seconds rest between intervals HR was in the 180s, which I expected, but other than that, everything was flawless at the faster paces. I'm now rethinking my race plan for the run portion of the race next month. I was thinking of going on the easy side and aim for a 30:xx run. Now I'm thinking I could dip into the upper 29s/28s, depending on the bike portion.

The way your post read in HTML, it was like 8 miles, 6 miles, and 6 miles LOL.  That would be a helluva workout!! 

Nice work nonetheless.

2024-08-07 11:42 AM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Solid start to the week for me with an interval run 2 x 0.5 miles @ I pace (7:45), and a hard quarter @ R pace (7:15).  No issues holding that pacing and I wanted to get in another quarter mile interval but then I hit 4 miles total which was the workout plan and I had legs to do, 40 minutes of it.  Then a short swim - all before breakfast so I was toast so to speak.  This morning was 45' on the bike (3 x 8' @ 95%) which went fine until it didn't, but got through it.  Followed with a frequency 1-mile run, arms, push ups, planks, then helping The Wife with PT. 

Onward.

@Nicole:  congrats on the weight goal, just steady as she goes; I'm 50/50 on Saturday as I think my daughter is going to bag the 5K to have friends over to watch the gold medal women's football match...hopefully the tropical weather will be out of here by then

2024-08-07 2:53 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan Today was a 3 segment interval/tempo run, and I'm quite excited about how it went! .8 mile warm up at 10:30 1.2 miles at 9:00 .6 miles at 8:40 .6 miles at 8:40 90 seconds rest between intervals HR was in the 180s, which I expected, but other than that, everything was flawless at the faster paces. I'm now rethinking my race plan for the run portion of the race next month. I was thinking of going on the easy side and aim for a 30:xx run. Now I'm thinking I could dip into the upper 29s/28s, depending on the bike portion.

The way your post read in HTML, it was like 8 miles, 6 miles, and 6 miles LOL.  That would be a helluva workout!! 

Nice work nonetheless.

OMG I'm glad that wasn't just me! I was like, DANG ROBERT!!! hahahaha
    Still an awesome workout!
    2024-08-07 2:54 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Solid start to the week for me with an interval run 2 x 0.5 miles @ I pace (7:45), and a hard quarter @ R pace (7:15).  No issues holding that pacing and I wanted to get in another quarter mile interval but then I hit 4 miles total which was the workout plan and I had legs to do, 40 minutes of it.  Then a short swim - all before breakfast so I was toast so to speak.  This morning was 45' on the bike (3 x 8' @ 95%) which went fine until it didn't, but got through it.  Followed with a frequency 1-mile run, arms, push ups, planks, then helping The Wife with PT. 

Onward.

@Nicole:  congrats on the weight goal, just steady as she goes; I'm 50/50 on Saturday as I think my daughter is going to bag the 5K to have friends over to watch the gold medal women's football match...hopefully the tropical weather will be out of here by then

Oh yay, and maybe the pool will be cooler with all the rain!
    2024-08-07 6:59 PM
    in reply to: #5283710

User image

Sorry about the HTML formatting issues on my post. I see how that could be confusing.

I don't think I have sub 9s in me for more than a 5k right now, and even that would probably be max effort. I will say that my Achilles is feeling great! The lifting, the rest, and the Kinesio tape all seem to be working together really well for it.
    2024-08-08 7:16 PM
    in reply to: #5289573

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    Made it to Grand Rapids. Decent drive, although it is LONG. 8.5 hours. 1650yds in the pool this morning. Tomorrow is rest day and course recon, plus pre-race tradition of ice cream and purchasing a peanut butter cup shaped like a dinosaur riding a bicycle (we don’t eat it until the morning we leave GR).

2024-08-08 10:07 PM
    in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island

Made it to Grand Rapids. Decent drive, although it is LONG. 8.5 hours. 1650yds in the pool this morning. Tomorrow is rest day and course recon, plus pre-race tradition of ice cream and purchasing a peanut butter cup shaped like a dinosaur riding a bicycle (we don’t eat it until the morning we leave GR).

Getting exciting!

What time does your race start, and is there any live tracking for us to stalk you/live vicariously through you with?

Good luck for the weekend, you've done the work, enjoy yourself and smash it.
    2024-08-09 4:14 AM
    in reply to: #5289574

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    Thanks Andrew!

Yes, there is live tracking. I’ll post the link after packet pickup, so I’ll know my bib number too.

Super excited!! (Although the reports of fresh chip and seal on the bike course is not exciting!)
    2024-08-09 7:14 AM

User image

Excited for you Gretchen! Best of luck and I hope your race goes remarkable well for you!! You got this!

4.5 mile run this morning as part of my new training plan. Everything seems to be holding together well, with just a little soreness in my calves and some tightness in the Achilles that loosened up about 1/2 mile in. I'll be out of town for the weekend, and won't be checking in here, so I hope everyone has a great weekend of racing or training!!
    2024-08-09 7:29 AM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Thanks Andrew! Yes, there is live tracking. I’ll post the link after packet pickup, so I’ll know my bib number too. Super excited!! (Although the reports of fresh chip and seal on the bike course is not exciting!)

We called that "repaving" back when I lived in Pennsylvania.  LOL 

Like Andrew said, you did the work, enjoy the rewards and have an epic race.  And we expect one of your 20-page race reports afterwards!

2024-08-09 10:43 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by drfoodlove Thanks Andrew! Yes, there is live tracking. I’ll post the link after packet pickup, so I’ll know my bib number too. Super excited!! (Although the reports of fresh chip and seal on the bike course is not exciting!)

Like Andrew said, you did the work, enjoy the rewards and have an epic race.  And we expect one of your 20-page race reports afterwards!

I LOVE your reports, can't wait! Glad you made it safe, and will be thinking of you all day! Get out there and CRUSH IT! It's a mental game as much as it's physical. You put in the physical work, and you're so ready mentally! Just stay focused, dig deep, and "run" your race (I don't know how to say that better with swimming and biking included... perform your race? SBR your race? you get the idea).

2024-08-09 11:55 AM

User image

Well team, I'm afraid I'm going to need to stop running for another week or two. My Achilles is super sore after this morning's run, and stretching it hasn't helped at all. Even walking around the house is sore today. Not happy with it, but I think I need to take a step back and let it heal up better.

With that, I'm pretty certain I'm not making the Half Marathon in October. I'm still optimistic I can do the triathlon next month, thankfully.
    2024-08-09 12:53 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
    Originally posted by robertChiefsFan

Well team, I'm afraid I'm going to need to stop running for another week or two. My Achilles is super sore after this morning's run, and stretching it hasn't helped at all. Even walking around the house is sore today. Not happy with it, but I think I need to take a step back and let it heal up better.

With that, I'm pretty certain I'm not making the Half Marathon in October. I'm still optimistic I can do the triathlon next month, thankfully.

Oh noooooo! I'm really sorry to hear that!
    Something to think about...do you always walk around in bare feet at home? I wonder if maybe some more support would help? I know this is a weird subject, as there are people in the mind of barefoot is natural and better, but sometimes find I feel better with support slippers.
    Rest up!
    2024-08-09 1:19 PM

User image

Originally posted by nicole14e

Oh noooooo! I'm really sorry to hear that!
    Something to think about...do you always walk around in bare feet at home? I wonder if maybe some more support would help? I know this is a weird subject, as there are people in the mind of barefoot is natural and better, but sometimes find I feel better with support slippers.
    Rest up!

I've thought about getting some slippers, I just haven't yet. Normally I'm barefoot (in socks) around the house. I'll give it some thought - thank you for the suggestion.
    2024-08-09 3:28 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I was wondering what kind of local delicacy seal and chips were…

Good luck!
    2024-08-09 3:30 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Yes, give it time to heal. I have the same issue. Went for a jog/walk on Wednesday which felt great but it was very sore the day after. So no running until another week for me.

2024-08-09 3:46 PM
    in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

I was wondering what kind of local delicacy seal and chips were… Good luck!

Not to belabor the point, but chip seal is where our municipalities cheap out on road repair on "repaving" by pouring an almost liquid hot tar, then finely crushed gravel on top, then running it over with a pave machine.  It's a nightmare to drive on until in fully cures and biking sucks on it.  And I sure as hell wouldn't want to crash on it. 

2024-08-09 5:42 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

I was wondering what kind of local delicacy seal and chips were… Good luck!

Not to belabor the point, but chip seal is where our municipalities cheap out on road repair on "repaving" by pouring an almost liquid hot tar, then finely crushed gravel on top, then running it over with a pave machine.  It's a nightmare to drive on until in fully cures and biking sucks on it.  And I sure as hell wouldn't want to crash on it. 

We drove the bike course today and the main road was CLOSED so they could do some more chip and seal!! It is very frustrating right now, not being able to see the course, BUT, there is good news of sorts. The RD talked to the road crew and they have "fogged" the chip. I had to look it up--apparently it means they put down a thin layer of more tar-like stuff that cures and "seals" the chips down. We were able to reroute around the closed section and get to the intersection between the main road and the turn and the road actually looks pretty good. As long as that seal actually cures. It is a relief, but I'll feel better when we take a second look tomorrow morning.

Today was a rest day. Started at 4am (just to keep the general schedule and my sleep schedule) and too much coffee in the hotel lobby with the world's most talkative woman. I swear she probably said more words in the 2.5 hours we were in the same room as I will say all week--maybe all month. Then there was the ill-fated bike course recon, lunch, run course recon (much more successful). The afternoon saw a trip to Walmart for some water and gatorade and our traditional ice cream and dino bike peanut butter cup purchase. SAD NEWS...the biking dinos are being discontinued!!!!!! We managed to get one this trip, but by next year they will be replaced by a frog (no bike!). So far...every time my wife has bought me a biking dino peanut butter cup, I've won the national championship!

Back to the hotel to do a bike check before my final ride/run/swim tomorrow.

Weather is looking solid, if a bit breezy. High temps of 73F (lows ~58F--might be a bit chilly at the start!), but with some wind. Hoping the wind might blow itself out tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!
    2024-08-09 5:44 PM
    in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    Originally posted by bulfrog

Getting exciting!

What time does your race start, and is there any live tracking for us to stalk you/live vicariously through you with?

Good luck for the weekend, you've done the work, enjoy yourself and smash it.

Forgot to answer all the questions! (a pet peeve of mine!)
    Race starts at 7am EDT.
    2024-08-09 5:45 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    Who else is racing this weekend?!?!? I swear I saw something about someone racing earlier in teh week, but I can't find the post...

Mike? Nat?

Good luck to whomever it is!!!!! (sorry I'm so wrapped up in my own stuff I can't remember!)
    New Thread
    Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 132

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
    Views: 1013 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland