BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 168

2009-05-10 6:11 PM
in reply to: #2140792

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
Subject: RE: Girl Passing on Left (FULL)
Sledge - 2009-05-09 6:20 PM

Girl Passing on Left - 2009-05-08 7:53 PM

have a great race Cheri! will be with you in spirit! can we track you online like the Florida IM's? if so, do you know your number?

Thanks everyone!  I'm a little tired and we're going to go get something to eat, so I'll probably not get to the race report until tomorrow.  But I made my primary goal -- finishing!  And I smiled throughout the entire race, even when I was hating the swim (well, maybe not really...).  It was tough conditions today -- rough water for the swim, a headwind for about 20 miles, and mid-80s for the run.  So I'm thankful I was able to get through it.  More tomorrow, and thank you everyone for all of your wonderful inspires!

Our Cheri ROCKED THIS RACE !!! YEAH !!

2009-05-10 7:28 PM
in reply to: #2141598

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

maxmansmom - 2009-05-10 11:00 AM Happy mothers day to the mom's in our group !
Yeah Nicole, today is the day "BABE .......GO GET EM "
Cheri, Rest, recover..........repeat !
Everyone else, i'll be checking the blogs later in the day.

SO, accompanied by my awesome daddy, we went to the swim clinic yesterday.  I met up with three of my super friends from our Rubber ducky swim group.  We were there for three hours it was AWESOME.  There were only 7 of us, made for so much help from our coaches.
In my case my kick is non existent, lol......we all knew that .  Then my hand entry was palm up like "talk to the hand"...... coach Emily said "it's like you put the brake on everytime your hand enters the water."  I had no idea I was doing that. 
So they worked on fixing that, with my hands sliding into the water thumbs first (although my first attempt I did it pinky first.......lol).
I'll have to have dh help me figure out how to put the video on my blog, the difference was so unreal from the first video to the end video.
I am so happy that you can see a difference ! lol
I was literally smiling all day, had so much fun, these coaches were great and funny at the same time .
Come on June Tri, I 'm so not afraid of you !!!!

wow...that is exciting Julie! You even taught me with your hand entry! I think I am also not doing my entry correctly! so now I have something to practice on Monday! have a great weekend and Happy Moms day!

2009-05-10 7:33 PM
in reply to: #2141637

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Sledge - 2009-05-10 11:53 AM

I just finished my race report from yesterday, if anyone wants to read it.  What an experience!  I'm glad I did it, but now it's done and I can (hopefully!) get back to a normal life.  Can someone remind me what normal is?

hanging with your buddies on BT...riding some, swimming some and running a lot with out TORTURE DAN! woo hoo Cheri! great job on finishing...and with a smile!

2009-05-10 8:12 PM
in reply to: #2141758

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

MDHillSlug - 2009-05-10 2:08 PM Official results are up!

I came in:
79/220 OA women
5/14 AG (missed 4th by 3 seconds! Oh but for a good swim!)

Compared to last year I was:
about 5 minutes faster on the swim
about 1 minute faster on T1
about 4 minutes faster on the bike
about 1 minute faster on T2
about 2.5 minutes faster on the run
about 13 minutes faster overall

an awesome day!

scccchmoking! faster all the way around! great job Nicole!

2009-05-10 9:17 PM
in reply to: #1863539

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB
Congratulations to Cheri and Nicole! You guys rock!

I love chip timing...it was so cool being able to follow Cheri along through her race...hope that's not too creepy...I was cheering for you!

Going to read the race reports now!
2009-05-11 8:56 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Good Morning!

No training for me today. Wow, are my legs sore!

I hope to get my race report done today and some pictures posted tonight. Apparently I did T1 too fast for Michele to catch me heading out on the bike and I got back sooner than anticipated because she missed me coming back in. She did get some good shots before and after the swim and starting and finishing the run.

2009-05-11 9:00 AM
in reply to: #2142183

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
run_yc_run - 2009-05-10 10:17 PM Congratulations to Cheri and Nicole! You guys rock!

I love chip timing...it was so cool being able to follow Cheri along through her race...hope that's not too creepy...I was cheering for you!

HOLD ON, we can stalk our people with chip timers while they race ? TELL ME HOW (please)
2009-05-11 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2142884

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
maxmansmom - 2009-05-11 10:00 AM
run_yc_run - 2009-05-10 10:17 PM Congratulations to Cheri and Nicole! You guys rock!

HOLD ON, we can stalk our people with chip timers while they race ? TELL ME HOW (please)

It's only for some Iron Man events but Michele was posting info to Twitter and Facebook yesterday while I was racing.
2009-05-11 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2142183

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

run_yc_run - 2009-05-10 9:17 PM Congratulations to Cheri and Nicole! You guys rock!

Not creepy at all!  I could feel you cheering all day long.

2009-05-11 10:47 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
My race report is up. I'll post some pictures tonight.
2009-05-11 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2142884

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

maxmansmom - 2009-05-11 7:00 AM

you go to the race website and either put in their race number if they share that with you...or thier name....pretty incredible what our technology allows us to do these days!

this is for larger races...like marathons, some olys....and Ironman competitions.

Edited by Girl Passing on Left 2009-05-11 11:07 AM

2009-05-11 11:36 AM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

now that I know what your last name is Cheri...here is a little something for your training log....

totally suits you and your name...definitely cant touch you! you too fast!

2009-05-11 11:40 AM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Hi teamies....Hope you all had a great weekend...and all you mommies had a wonderful day yesterday!

what is in store for this week? weekend?

who races this coming weekend? anyone?

2009-05-11 8:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Hope all the mother's had a nice Mother's Day!  I got a yoga mat and Wii Fit ... maybe I can learn some yoga that way! ... and the movie, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.  Now I've got two movies to catch up on - this one and Slumdog Millionaire.  I have a hard time sitting still long enough to watch a movie without falling asleep.  That's how my kids rate them - how far mom got through it! 

Hope everyone has a great week!
2009-05-11 8:46 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
I added some pictures to my race report and to an album
2009-05-12 11:03 AM
in reply to: #2142895

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
MDHillSlug - 2009-05-11 10:05 AM
maxmansmom - 2009-05-11 10:00 AM

It's only for some Iron Man events but Michele was posting info to Twitter and Facebook yesterday while I was racing.

COOL !!!

2009-05-12 11:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
Hi my people, ok, if you go to www.jdhalter.blogspot.com you will see my video of my swim before the clinic and then after.
My hand position at the very beginning is not only palm up, but also splashy noisy. Lol
Then the music will change and you can see that the hand entry is now smooth (YEAH ME).
I look forward to more clinics with them. They also do running, transtition too !
Needless to say my kick still either does not exist or is TOOO far apart "scisor" like.
2009-05-12 11:46 AM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

morning everyone. got in a hilly run...was a very nice run! felt great and I was shocked at how good I felt even on the ups.

2009-05-12 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2145882

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
maxmansmom - 2009-05-12 12:12 PM Hi my people, ok, if you go to www.jdhalter.blogspot.com you will see my video of my swim before the clinic and then after.
My hand position at the very beginning is not only palm up, but also splashy noisy. Lol
Then the music will change and you can see that the hand entry is now smooth (YEAH ME).
I look forward to more clinics with them. They also do running, transtition too !
Needless to say my kick still either does not exist or is TOOO far apart "scisor" like.

Your before shows that you've already corrected your over-rotation but everything looks even better, smoother in your after. It's amazing what some video and some competent coaching can do!

They told you to slice your hand in thumb first? I was told either flat or slightly pinkie/outside first. Did they say why?

Are you up for some more constructive criticism? It still looks like you are lifting your head a bit to breathe instead of only turning it to the side. Continue to work on the arm mechanics until it's feeling natural and like you're doing it without thinking about it and then try working on your head turn. DON'T try doing it both at the same time.

I'm impressed by your improvement in a short time!

Edited by MDHillSlug 2009-05-12 12:00 PM
2009-05-12 3:01 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Well I'm starting to feel a little more human again.  I walked around gingerly for two days, then decided to go for a run this morning.  It started out very, very slowly, but I managed to pick it up a little by the end.  But the amazing thing is that I feel much better having done it!  I'm sure it's the lactic acid or something, but I think I understand the "recovery run" concept a little better.  Or maybe I'm just fooling myself...

So everyone keeps asking me "what's next".  What do you guys recommend?  And don't say marathon or ironman or anything silly like that!  Maybe retirement?

2009-05-12 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2146013

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
MDHillSlug - 2009-05-12 12:56 PM
maxmansmom - 2009-05-12 12:12 PM Hi my people, ok, if you go to www.jdhalter.blogspot.com you will see my video of my swim before the clinic and then after.

Your before shows that you've already corrected your over-rotation but everything looks even better, smoother in your after. It's amazing what some video and some competent coaching can do!

They told you to slice your hand in thumb first? I was told either flat or slightly pinkie/outside first. Did they say why?

Are you up for some more constructive criticism? It still looks like you are lifting your head a bit to breathe instead of only turning it to the side. Continue to work on the arm mechanics until it's feeling natural and like you're doing it without thinking about it and then try working on your head turn. DON'T try doing it both at the same time.

Yep, always open to help !!  Well he did tell me why to put my thumbs in first, something about about not catching air, also about proper entry etc........but bear in mind I had in ear plugs and it was alot to take in so some things I just do "cause he said do".lol
  Coach Emily was trying to help me breathe, on the right side it's more natural for me.  On the left I was raising my head too far to breathe, and I had told her that I did that. Somethign about the hand entry etc helps me breathe on my left better.
Thanks for commenting on the over rotation, that has been a big work in progress.... I am so happy you can see a difference !!! Thanks for commenting my friend !

2009-05-12 4:00 PM
in reply to: #2146682

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
maxmansmom - 2009-05-12 4:26 PM

Yep, always open to help !!  Well he did tell me why to put my thumbs in first, something about about not catching air, also about proper entry etc........but bear in mind I had in ear plugs and it was alot to take in so some things I just do "cause he said do".lol
  Coach Emily was trying to help me breathe, on the right side it's more natural for me.  On the left I was raising my head too far to breathe, and I had told her that I did that. Something about the hand entry etc helps me breathe on my left better.
Thanks for commenting on the over rotation, that has been a big work in progress.... I am so happy you can see a difference !!! Thanks for commenting my friend !

Now that you mention it I did notice that you breathe better to the right.

I've heard it said that you need to put in at least 10,000m with a stroke change before it becomes an unthinking part of your stroke so continue getting your hand entry worked out before you work on your breathing. Working on more than one thing at a time is REALLY hard. Been there, done that, don't recommend it. I'm still working on left hand entry.

Overall, you look very relaxed. Do you feel relaxed?

Oh, BTW, kicking in swimming is highly overrated for triathlon/endurance swimming. Your kick will typically only contribute 10% of your propulsion, but your legs have a huge oxygen demand when they are working. Better to rest them during the swim and save them for biking and running. You only need enough kicking action to help with your body rotation and to keep you body moving forward straight in the water (not fishtailing).

Edited by MDHillSlug 2009-05-12 4:03 PM
2009-05-12 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2146779

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
MDHillSlug - 2009-05-12 5:00 PM
maxmansmom - 2009-05-12 4:26 PM

Coach Emily was trying to help me breathe, on the right side it's more natural for me.  On the left I was raising my head too far to breathe, and I had told her that I did that. Something about the hand entry etc helps me breathe on my left better.

Now that you mention it I did notice that you breathe better to the right.

I've heard it said that you need to put in at least 10,000m with a stroke change before it becomes an unthinking part of your stroke so continue getting your hand entry worked out before you work on your breathing. Working on more than one thing at a time is REALLY hard. Been there, done that, don't recommend it. I'm still working on left hand entry.

Overall, you look very relaxed. Do you feel relaxed?

Oh, BTW, kicking in swimming is highly overrated for triathlon/endurance swimming. Your kick will typically only contribute 10% of your propulsion, but your legs have a huge oxygen demand when they are working. Better to rest them during the swim and save them for biking and running. You only need enough kicking action to help with your body rotation and to keep you body moving forward straight in the water (not fishtailing).

Oh yes, I feel very relaxed in the water now.  I could feel such differences just with my new hand entry and pushing the rest of the stroke rather than only 1/2 of it. 
thanks for the info on the legs during the swim in a tri. I had heard that, that you need to let them rest .......  good thing since mine pretty much do anyway ! lol
I will be in teh pool tomorrow, I find it funny that I miss water whenI am out of it !
I am not sure if the tri in June will be my only one this season or not, but I'd like to take the transition clinic they have as well. Also plan to attend more swim clinics !!
2009-05-12 8:42 PM

Veteran

thanks for sharing the swim suggestions-  ie keep head still, save legs... etc. Thanks- I hope  and think they as well will help me in the pool!!

I haven'tt been around much gang- busy with work/family life/ and fitting in trng. Signed up for my Olympic race for June-  followed by the first 1/2 HIM in July, and 2nd in Aug- so I guess I'm in!!!

-Helen

2009-05-12 11:54 PM
in reply to: #2146610

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Sledge - 2009-05-12 1:01 PM

Well I'm starting to feel a little more human again.  I walked around gingerly for two days, then decided to go for a run this morning.  It started out very, very slowly, but I managed to pick it up a little by the end.  But the amazing thing is that I feel much better having done it!  I'm sure it's the lactic acid or something, but I think I understand the "recovery run" concept a little better.  Or maybe I'm just fooling myself...

So everyone keeps asking me "what's next".  What do you guys recommend?  And don't say marathon or ironman or anything silly like that!  Maybe retirement?

disneyland! in California! then you can come visit me!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  

of 168