Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 140

2024-09-08 8:50 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Schedule has a bike ride later, but I’m not enthusiastic about it. It may get moved to tomorrow, or I might get a burst of energy here when lunch kicks in. TBD…

I relaxed myself right into signing up for a century ride on Saturday! See what happens when I’m not distracted by monster training volume? :D

Honestly, it just looks like fun. It is a flat route, which plays to my kind of riding…just lower your head and pedal. No shifting. No thinking. Just fun speed!

Well, that escalated quickly.

Hope you enjoyed your ride.

2024-09-08 9:15 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
@Mike, So you're a week post running crash, and your ankle is still bad enough it hurts to touch? Is there any chance you've got a broken bone or something going on there? I'm all for pretending we're not injured most of the time, but this is starting to sound more serious. Might be worth a visit to the Docs? Hope you had a good ride with your mini-me in the meantime.

@Nat, Hope you're enjoying the go-slow week

@Me. A good weekend down here. Mrs Bullfrog did well in her 5k, we managed to set another PB for her, about 30 seconds faster than the last one, on a hillier course. She's already told me to enter her in next years series. So the encouragement is working.

My bike volume increase continued, Sunday morning I channeled my inner Gretchen and was up at 4:30am to get a 2 hour zwift ride in before going to the 5k. May have been a bit ambitious with this one, it's the longest ride so far this season, but I still did 70.3 race effort intervals (based off last seasons FTP, so probably more like my current threshold levels) Made it through, but was a struggle. I have a long way to go to get that bike fitness back.

For the week,
Swim, x1, 25min, 1,000m
Bike, x4, 5hr, all zwift
Run, x3, 2hr 45 min.

S&M, x5 physio, x2 stretchy, 1hr 45min.

Total of 9 hr 55 minutes for the week. Decent volume for September, but plenty of work still to do.
2024-09-09 9:42 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

Schedule has a bike ride later, but I’m not enthusiastic about it. It may get moved to tomorrow, or I might get a burst of energy here when lunch kicks in. TBD…

I relaxed myself right into signing up for a century ride on Saturday! See what happens when I’m not distracted by monster training volume? :D

Honestly, it just looks like fun. It is a flat route, which plays to my kind of riding…just lower your head and pedal. No shifting. No thinking. Just fun speed!

Well, that escalated quickly.

Hope you enjoyed your ride.

When doesn't it with me?
2024-09-09 9:42 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Mike--gotta say, I agree with Andrew! A week plus and still seems no better...is there bruising? You might have something called an avulsion fracture, which is when a tendon or ligament pulls a little bit of bone off the origin/insertion point. They mimic sprains but can be nasty little buggers to heal.

@Andrew--tell Mrs. Bullfrog congrats on her PR!! That is awesome! Also..."sign me up for next year"...I love it!

@Nicole--where you at?

For me, 3000yds in the pool this morning for my 1550yd workout. I love the off season! I don't have to manage my load nearly as carefully and so I can totally blow up a workout if I'm having fun, which I was. Our old coach was there today filling in for our new coach. He is much more into sprints and fast intervals than she is, so this was mostly a workout of fast 25s and 50s. Super hard, but fun nonetheless. I finished the prescribed workout at 2950yds...but then, of course I had to get that last 50 in to make it a nice, round number. Sacrifices had to be made though, because I was supposed to strength train after my swim, but I didn't have time with the longer swim. I will move it to later in the day. What would have been a quiet lift with the old ladies will be a nerve-janglingly loud lift with the 20 something fellas. Fortunately for me, neither group really wants the weights I use. I lift too heavy for the old ladies and too light for the boys.
2024-09-09 10:37 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Andrew/Gretchen - it's improving a little but like I said a little tender just on the outside of that ankle bone where there isn't much to protect it.  No bruising...no black and blue at all which really surprised me.  My wife and I went for about a 5 walk this morning and I feel it the whole time but I wouldn't really call it pain, and it's no worse afterwards.  Probably wouldn't hurt to run to the ortho to rule out a fracture of some sort. 

Bike ride over the weekend was really nice, all Z2 more or less and the weather was like 60 degrees and sunny - absolutely perfect. 

And my War Against the Yellowjackets continues today with another visit by the exterminator people.  Unfortunately the perfect weather we have right now is also what those little bastards like as well. 

@Gretchen:  ha, you made it like a week - nice job!!!

@Nicole:  ditto what Gretchen said - where you at?? 

2024-09-10 11:52 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
35' Z2 run this morning in the dark, focusing on high cadence. Nice run, faster than normal. All this eating of carbs thing seems to be giving me energy. who would have thought it? Later on this afternoon, I'm going to ride for an hour. Today is one of those weird days where the weather is just perfect for two different sports--run at 50F this morning, bike at 80-85F this afternoon. Can't get much better than that.

Anyone else having intermittent access issues with BT? Tried to post several times this morning (now lunchtime) and it just wouldn't load. App says I require an internet connection (which I have). Every time it does this stuff, I jump to worst case scenario and think this is it for BT...

2024-09-10 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I typically use a PC (OK, Boomer...) or a Thinkpad to access BT (and most things).  No issues here today, anyway.

2024-09-10 3:12 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Pulled the plug on my sprint the end of the month and paid $10 to defer to next year.  Not going to risk it and give this ankle thing time to get to 100%.  It's definitely getting better as I barely felt it cycling today, even standing or in zone 4.  i have the bike leg of a sprint race the first weekend in October so all-in on cycling for the next four weeks.

2024-09-10 6:15 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I typically use a PC (OK, Boomer...) or a Thinkpad to access BT (and most things).  No issues here today, anyway.

I also use a computer for most of my BT access, don't even have the app. No log in issues here.
2024-09-10 6:22 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Mike, Sorry that you had to defer your tri. But sounds like the best choice with your ankle currently. FWIW, I had an avulsion fracture on the side of my foot (like Gretchen referred to) a few years ago, caused from a rolled ankle. If I remember my timing right, it caused me to defer Ironman NZ from 2020 to 2021. And yes, it can take quite some healing.

@Gretchen, I 100% endorse doing an extra 50m to get to 3,000. What sort of sociopath would plan to end a workout on 2950. Good grief.

@Nicole. Where are you hiding?

@Me, Very balanced week so far. 1 hour easy ride Monday, 1 hour easy run on the treadmill Tuesday and 1,000m swimming this morning. Still short swims, but increasing to 2x per week. So doubling my time in the water. I'll increase the duration per workout in the coming weeks. Otherwise, nothing exciting happening here.
2024-09-11 12:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Good move on deferring the sprint Mike, give that ankle time to heal. Glad it seems to go the right way.

Well done Mrs B, it’s awesome, she’s hooked!

Gretchen, nice work focusing on nothing! LOL!

Nicole, I’ll echo the others, where are you?

Still taking it easy over here, going for a ride+swim every day to burn calories but no training, no zones (not that there ever is), no rush. Enjoying that.

Re the BT app…. There’s an app????

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-09-11 12:26 AM

2024-09-11 8:59 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Re the BT app…. There’s an app????

I never used it, either.  I was on Android at the time and they only launched on iOS.  I have used the mobile site which I thought was WAY better than the app.  It's great for logging strength workouts real-time, though with my old man eyes now I can't read anything without my reading glasses to I've decided to not look like said old man and I just leave my phone in the car. 

2024-09-11 11:35 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

I never used it, either.  I was on Android at the time and they only launched on iOS.  I have used the mobile site which I thought was WAY better than the app.  It's great for logging strength workouts real-time, though with my old man eyes now I can't read anything without my reading glasses to I've decided to not look like said old man and I just leave my phone in the car. 

The app is laughably bad. I don't know, but it feels like it hasn't been updated since the launch. There is no capacity to quote previous posts. It doesn't even allow for the use of emojis. I use it to see if anyone posted and occasionally to post a short message. My tomes are all written on the website.
2024-09-11 11:38 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2250yds in the pool this morning and I will go on a Z2 bike ride later this afternoon. Yesterday's bike (hilly) was good, but I came home with the certain conclusion that if I continue to ride that particular route on weekdays, it is not if I will get hit by a car, but when will I get hit by a car. Too close to campus. Today I'll go out by the airport and just have some fun sitting in Z2, still trying to get my fit right after shipping the bike. I (stupidly) didn't mark the angle of my aerobars, so it is a trial and error process right now. I did mark my seat height, but I can't find the line, so I installed it at the rough height of where the grippy grit was and hoped for the best. I think I have it, but it could need a bit of adjustment when I get the aerobars dialed in.
2024-09-11 12:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen:  I feel like bike fit is a never-ending adjustment based on both changes to our bodies/abilities (both positive and negative) and then stupid stuff we do to our equipment like letting airlines handle them. 

ETA:  There are some days I get on my bike and think "who moved my stuff?" when nothing changed.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2024-09-11 12:33 PM
2024-09-12 9:39 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
35' Z1 run this morning after a leisurely roll out of bed. For some reason it took over an hour after getting up to get my butt out the door for this run. Later today, I have a strength training workout and all day I'll be working on carb loading for my century on Saturday. My sports dietitian wants me to have 830g of carbs today and tomorrow. Y'all...830g of carbs is #*$&ing HARD to consume. She was all cheery when she suggested 2L of regular soda (I would actually die--soda kills my stomach) or sports drink would give me ~150-200g...where am I going to get the other 600g?!?! In the last 10 days I have gone from <100g of carbs a day to >250g per day (and it has helped!), but 830g?!?!?! Help!

2024-09-12 7:15 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e Me - Not much to share. I've taken it pretty easy this week. Did some stretching. Went to the Usher concert Friday night, and either missed or turned off my alarm Saturday morning so did not make it to masters practice Also skipped last night b/c I had a late meeting and was like, well I'll just work all night, then went home and did NOT work, so felt like a totally wasted evening. And I saw around 10pm that practice was outside so that was salt in the wound. I did play some beach volleyball on Sunday and my knee and hip felt pretty good. Have grass league tonight, which is a bit harder on the body, but I'm going to listen to it better. First off, I need to stretch really well before and between games. Second, if things start feeling tight, I will make sure I stop sooner so I can walk without crazy pain. I still haven't heard back from the ortho re: scheduling my surgery, so I'm going to message my doctor directly to see what the issue is (maybe it needs to come from him?).

It's been my experience that you need to advocate for yourself as a patient, especially in the ortho/spine/pain world.  They also have to go through some hoops with authorizations and such, so it can take some time. 

RE:  Masters...we stay outside on Saturdays until end of September, right?  I'm loving that outdoor pool. 

Unfortunately last week was the last outdoor practice back indoors this week, 7-9am
2024-09-12 7:32 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Andrew - Happy belated father's day!

Nat - Congrats on your race!

Mike - Ouchie on the fall! Hope your ankle gets better soon!
Just saw you deferred the next race...was it the Baltimore Tri? Sorry to hear it's still bothering you!

Gretchen - lol I totally misread/missed the joke on the drowned rats. Phewwww on not having dead rats in your car though!
Also, the off season plan...lol after the last few weeks for you I would be taking off until the new year! You truly are an inspiration (minus the whole Chiefs fan thing...)
And of course you have already signed up for another race! (I'm working my way through the last couple weeks as you might be able to tell, lol)

Robert - sounds like the achilles might be getting better! They are such nagging injuries, so hopefully the progress maintains!
Also, same side-eye coming at you "Chief"
2024-09-12 7:43 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi everyone!
Sorry I disappeared again! I just very quickly skim caught up. Summary seems to be Gretchen remains a machine, 2024 Nat ended the season strong, and everyone else is injured in some way...but still pretty much crushing it!

I am not as much crushing it. I went to a wedding labor day weekend and wore some tall heels, and I think it through off my alignment and my lower back just above my hip has been bothering me. I had the week off b/c I TURNED 40!?! and spent some time with the fam, had some fun with friends and family in the park near my house, and sang some karaoke! Back and hip have been pretty nagging throughout. I played some pickleball and by the 4th game I couldn't bend down to pick up the ball. Played some vball though and I was mostly fine, though definitely sore after, especially the next day.

This week has been really crazy and stressful, not only b/c I was off last week but b/c we had a review with departmental leadership and I had to do a lot to pull everything together and am feeling really behind and tired and all the things.

I did have my ortho appt today and my surgery is officially scheduled for November 20th! I feel some relief knowing it's on the books and, even though it's going to be hard, I'm hopeful that I come out of it able to do all the things without all the pain.
Sounds like I'll be on crutches for about 2 weeks, in a brace for about 4, and not able to drive for 2-4 weeks. I'll stay at my parents for the first two weeks, then need to figure out how to get to and from PT until I'm able to drive or walk. He said by my vacations in January I should be fine walking, so think it's all pretty well timed. Now I need to get back to PT and get as strong as I can before the surgery!

I missed you guys. Kept wanting to check in, but with work being overwhelming it's been hard to find time to catch up. Thanks for calling me out!

Mike, see you at practice Saturday?

2024-09-12 10:07 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
She lives!! Welcome back Nicole!
2024-09-13 7:24 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

The app is laughably bad. I don't know, but it feels like it hasn't been updated since the launch. There is no capacity to quote previous posts. It doesn't even allow for the use of emojis. I use it to see if anyone posted and occasionally to post a short message. My tomes are all written on the website.

The website is also bad, can't use emojis either, only Mike seems to manage to write in bold text sometimes.

2024-09-13 7:24 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

She lives!! Welcome back Nicole!

whohooo!!!
2024-09-13 9:00 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
3000 yds in the pool for me this morning. It was fun, lots of fast, descending sets. I was also fast today, which is also fun. I'm beginning to buy into this whole eating carbs=more energy=better workouts thing. I ate another banana today before swimming and was fast again.

My nutritionist has me carb loading for my century ride this weekend as an experiment. OMG...I might actually die. She has suggested 600-830g of carbs. That...is...a...lot...of...carbs. Yesterday I managed 630g, but to do it I had to drink 64oz of cran-pineapple "juice" and have a giant bowl of popcorn with the football game, plus pasta at both lunch and dinner. Her advice was to just eat candy, which I'm totally down with, we just don't have any, because if we have candy in the house, I will eat it. Today is a new day and I'm trying again. Small changes add up--Ovaltine in my coffee, pancakes with an indecent amount of syrup for breakfast, and a plan to have a giant soda on the road today. I'll get there...but man, I gotta say. If I don't absolutely fly tomorrow, I'm gonna be ticked.
2024-09-14 4:34 AM
in reply to: #5289831

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Century ride today in Springfield IL. I’m excited. The route is flat and the wind is calm (4mph). Imma gonna go fast!
2024-09-14 8:19 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Century ride today in Springfield IL. I’m excited. The route is flat and the wind is calm (4mph). Imma gonna go fast!

Good luck! Have fun!
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 140

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1053 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland