BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Briderdt and Lkct's Mentor Group - CLOSED for training! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2011-02-14 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3256444

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Subject: RE: Briderdt and Lkct's Mentor Group - CLOSED for training!
Nice work...I say we all get credit for doing any mileage on foot this weekend!

2011-02-15 7:23 AM

User image

Jackson, MS
I did nothing. 
2011-02-15 8:36 AM

User image

New user

CT
I wanted to let everyone know that I figured out how to solve my feet falling asleep!  I got myself a pair of speed laces called Yankz.  LOVE THEM!  link to REI incase you want to check them out...http://www.rei.com/product/788143 Once I got them adjusted to the proper fit I tried them out during Zumba and just was amazed at the difference.  I did a short run...hardly worth mentioning 1.5 miles and no tingling in my feet.  They were only $8 and I can't believe the difference.  I am guessing that the other traditional laces, no matter how much I adjusted them, just hit a spot on the top of my foot that caused that problem.  Now these laces have a bit of give and allow the circulation to work better and they are easy on and easy off.  I am sure that will be great when it comes to transitions in the Tri.
Only 4 weeks til my first official race of the new year!  My husband and I were just having this conversation about how he doesn't understand why I enter races.  Does anyone else out there get that from people?  It's not that he discourages me...he just doesn't get it.  I explained that if I don't enter races I don't have a goal.  Then it is too easy to say, "nah...no exercise today."  If I give myself goals then I am less apt to sit on the couch.  How do you all feel about races...why do you enter them...how do you explain why you race and challenge yourself?
I had a very good Valentines day...beautiful flowers from my hubby, valentines from all the kids, and 2 hours of kick butt Zumba to top it off!  Hope everyone else enjoyed!
2011-02-15 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3355684

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
shannonlovley - 2011-02-15 9:36 AM I wanted to let everyone know that I figured out how to solve my feet falling asleep!  I got myself a pair of speed laces called Yankz.  LOVE THEM!  link to REI incase you want to check them out...http://www.rei.com/product/788143 Once I got them adjusted to the proper fit I tried them out during Zumba and just was amazed at the difference.  I did a short run...hardly worth mentioning 1.5 miles and no tingling in my feet.  They were only $8 and I can't believe the difference.  I am guessing that the other traditional laces, no matter how much I adjusted them, just hit a spot on the top of my foot that caused that problem.  Now these laces have a bit of give and allow the circulation to work better and they are easy on and easy off.  I am sure that will be great when it comes to transitions in the Tri.
Only 4 weeks til my first official race of the new year!  My husband and I were just having this conversation about how he doesn't understand why I enter races.  Does anyone else out there get that from people?  It's not that he discourages me...he just doesn't get it.  I explained that if I don't enter races I don't have a goal.  Then it is too easy to say, "nah...no exercise today."  If I give myself goals then I am less apt to sit on the couch.  How do you all feel about races...why do you enter them...how do you explain why you race and challenge yourself?
I had a very good Valentines day...beautiful flowers from my hubby, valentines from all the kids, and 2 hours of kick butt Zumba to top it off!  Hope everyone else enjoyed!

I'm glad you fixed your numb feet problem.  That had to be annoying.  Tell hubby...  Too be around like minded people and to know that I am not alone.  People of all skill levels enter races and the atmosphere can be addictive.  I don't think I'd work out near as hard without the race goals either.
2011-02-15 11:25 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Oops—I’m back. I got the new BT App on my iphone, which is cool, ex that it makes it too easy to log workouts without having to log onto BT.
I had a pretty good weekend—I ran 5 miles on Friday, swam for around 45 minutes on Sunday. Even better, I ran 6.25 miles yesterday, my first 10k+ in quite a while. Equally exciting, it was on the treadmill, which I usually can’t stand for more than 20-30 minutes at a time.
But…best of all….I have a bike again! I got the frame back from the painter on Saturday, gave it to the mechanic, who finished the overhaul/rebuild and I got it back on Monday. It looks awesome. I’ll try to post a picture later.

Shannon—I totally get your thing about races. I HAVE to have a race on my calendar, or I have much less motivation to work out. As much as I hate running in the cold, I always sign up for 2-3 races in the winter, just to stay busy, otherwise, I’ll just go into a cocoon. I barely raced last winter, and, as a result, I did almost nothing on my trainer, barely ran at all, and did a bunch of half-a$$ed swim and strength workouts and, as a result, really paid the price in my first race of the year in early June. My whole season last year, overall, wasn’t great, and I think a big part of that is how little work I put in last offseason. I’ve got a really full schedule this year, including another 70.3, probably, so I’m really trying to make the offseason count.
2011-02-15 11:30 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Here's the bike. There's a picture in my album of it before the makeover. I liked the blue, but it's an older frame and it had some scratches and dings that made it look old. I think it looks really cool now. I can't wait to get on it. When I bought it, the original owner had named it "The Blue Bomber", so I've re-christened it, "The Stealth Bomber".

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2011-02-15 11:32 AM

(Stealth Bomber.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Stealth Bomber.jpg (14KB - 12 downloads)

2011-02-15 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3355684

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I would say that having an event on the horizon does help me focus my training. I tend to settle into a low-ish level maintenace schedule, with little if any swimming, if I don't have a tri in my sights. If you look at my logs, you see almost all running -- and the only event I have really on my calendar is a half marathon. With all the work I'll be doing with BuDu Racing this year, I may not be able to do many events (as a participant). Which is okay.

I guess I'm a little unusual in that I will do workouts (runs especially) just because I like to do it. So I kind of have a minimum workout level that I'll maintain just to keep me sane.

Okay, partially sane.

Wink
2011-02-20 8:38 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Doing a mountain bike event this morning... Single speed! It'll be interesting. I hesitate to call it a race. Others will be racing, I'm sure. I think I'll just be happy to survive.

Edited by briderdt 2011-02-20 8:39 AM
2011-02-20 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3363812

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Good luck!  Is everyone single speed or just you in this race.
2011-02-20 7:10 PM
in reply to: #3363831

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
They had a single speed category, and if I remember right, there were 20 who finished. We raced with the Expert class, starting one minute ahead of them. The logic of that completely escapes me, as they were passing within a couple miles.

I was completly over-geared and under-skilled. The course was like trying to ride through a rooted and muddy small intestine. I've never ridden a more convoluted race course in my life. I ended up hugging a tree at one point, went down once when I couldn't unclip fast enough... Fortunately I didn't miss the NARROW log bridges that had been built in the worst of the mud bogs. I stopped to let the Experts by a few times. I went down hard off one diagonal root crossing, landing hard on my right elbow... When I got up, my handlebars were at 90 degrees to my front wheen. I got that straightened out, but when I started up again I knew my race was over. No way was I going to make it through another 15 miles of that. Elbow is still hurting. I'm eating left handed for now...

DNF. And I heard the course for the race 2 weeks from now is worse. I'll pass.

Edited by briderdt 2011-02-20 7:11 PM
2011-02-20 8:52 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
That doesn't even sound a little bit fun. Ow. Hope your elbow feels better.

I ran 7 miles yesterday with my newbie-triathlete buddy. It felt really good,and it's my longest run in a while. He's not too fast yet, which is great because he really makes me hold back on long runs, instead of pushing too hard. We finished our run and, as we were walking to the car, I noticed that he had two bloody patches on his brand new white race shirt --the dreaded bloody nipples. I pointed it out to him and he was, of course, mortified. He said, "Let me guess...this has never happened to you?" I said...um...nope. I thought I had told him to wear a tight-fitting base layer and he said he had an underarmor shirt under his cotton t, but I guess it was too loose or too thin to prevent the chafing. Ouch. It hurt just to look at him. At least his wife was away for the weekend, so he wouldn't have to worry about her seeing him when he got home. Other than that, he was psyched since it was his longest outdoor run ever. He ran up a hill twice that he had to walk up when we started training together in the Fall.

I swam a little today. I was up late working on the bike-- installing cages, computer, etc. Now all I need is a decent day of weather and I can actually ride it. I'll ride it on the trainer at the very least tomorrow.

I love long weekends. And the best thing about long weekends? Short weeks.

2011-02-21 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran

Mary and I took full advantage of the weather and went on a quick 1 night backpacking trip in a nearby national forest.  The trail is a hiking/mountain biking trail that's probably more popular for all the MTBers but was great for hiking.  We haven't done any MTBing but are kind of interested in trying now.  We might borrow/rent some bikes to see if we're really that interested.  The trail didn't have too many big climbs or anything dramatic but since all the leaves were down you could see a lot of terrain through the trees.  It was very cool.  We had planned on starting late Saturday so we only drew up a short 7 mile loop but because the trail smooth and well maintained we ended up doing 6 miles and camping about a mile from where we parked.  I think we hiked for all of 20 min on Sunday.  Great trip though. 

2011-02-23 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3356469

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
briderdt - 2011-02-15 12:06 PM I would say that having an event on the horizon does help me focus my training. I tend to settle into a low-ish level maintenace schedule, with little if any swimming, if I don't have a tri in my sights. If you look at my logs, you see almost all running -- and the only event I have really on my calendar is a half marathon. With all the work I'll be doing with BuDu Racing this year, I may not be able to do many events (as a participant). Which is okay.

I guess I'm a little unusual in that I will do workouts (runs especially) just because I like to do it. So I kind of have a minimum workout level that I'll maintain just to keep me sane.....

And don't lie...you like it when I ogle your sexiness :-D

2011-02-23 2:13 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
I've been UTW (under the weather) for a few days and haven't logged one workout. :-(

And I'm with you Shannon - I need the races for motivation or the little motivation I muster dissapears.  Has your hubby been to a race?  And felt the atmosphere?  My cousins went to a tri and immediately wanted to do one...

-LKCT
2011-02-28 9:38 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I've been extremely remiss in my posting to this thread... I've been running, a couple rides... Mostly just doing my routine. Hoping I can get a longer run in this next weekend.
2011-02-28 10:44 AM

User image

Veteran
I got in my longest ride to date this weekend, 41 miles.  It was an out and back and on the out I felt great.  Found out why as soon as I turned around and realized I had a tailwind.  Which meant a headwind for the next 20ish miles.  Still had a good ride but it was really a beating riding directly into the wind on a mostly arrow straight road.  I was cussing the wind the entire way back to the car.

I also noticed yesterday that there's a big bike ride coming up on 4/9.  There are a few distances to choose from, 25 miles, 50, 62 and 100.  Not sure if we'll do it but I would consider the metric century.  Saturday's 41 miler wasn't easy but I never felt like I was running out of gas and don't think I'd really have to "gut it out" too much for 62 miles.  Plus, the course is where we normally ride so the road is very familiar.  I generally play it safe so the 100 miler seems a little much for now.  Advice?

2011-02-28 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3375458

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
With over a month of training to go, you could make the decision closer to the date (most of the ones I've done allow you to choose on the day). If you're feeling confident now that 62 wouldn't put you in the recovery wagon, then by all means go for it!
2011-02-28 1:13 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I’m on a roll. My training’s been pretty good and as consistent as my schedule is likely to allow. I did my 1-hour spin class on Saturday, which was great. I knew I was in for a tough class when the instructor (a cyclist) was wearing a full Tour de France “King of the Mountains” uniform. Sure enough, we spent the hour climbing, sprinting, and not much else.

Sunday, I ran 8 miles, which is the longest I’ve run since my half-iron in 2009. It felt great. I’ve been running with a buddy who’s just starting out. He’s come a long way, but this was a struggle for him. He started to fall back in the last mile and told me not to wait, so I finished the run on my own and the last 1.5 miles were the fastest split of the whole run. I did the last mile in under 8 minutes, which is pretty awesome for me.

After the run, I went to the pool with my son and swam around with him for about 45 minutes before he took his lesson. It felt great to be in the pool after the run. I did about 1000y of drills—mostly pull buoy stuff but I was really too worn out to do much.

My son, who’s 6 ½ got put through the wringer by his new coach. She basically had him swimming laps for 45 minutes. He ended up, she said, swimming around 700y in 45 minutes. He was exhausted at the end of it, understandably, but I was really proud of him and told him so, so I think he was feeling pretty good about it afterwards.
2011-02-28 4:26 PM

User image

Jackson, MS
Won a free pair of Mizuno's last week--you would have thought I'd be super motivated to use them...but they are still in the box.  Either today or tomorrow I'm going to break them out.  Thank goodness moved to an easier schedule for the next two months.  Should be much easier to get the training in.

"Should be easier" doesn't mean it will necessarily happen, though!

And I'm so proud of Michael's long ride this weekend!!!  Woohoo!

Edited by Mary A 2011-02-28 4:26 PM
2011-02-28 6:06 PM
in reply to: #3375747

User image

Veteran
briderdt - 2011-02-28 12:53 PM With over a month of training to go, you could make the decision closer to the date (most of the ones I've done allow you to choose on the day). If you're feeling confident now that 62 wouldn't put you in the recovery wagon, then by all means go for it!

I just might do this!
2011-03-03 9:05 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

Where is everyone??

How is the training coming?  A new month started which means new motivation...right?!?!?

Well I ended my month on a good note and ran 5K...that's the longest I've ever run (not that time, but ever) so all I have to do is go up from here?

What's the longest you've run and when was it?

2011-03-03 9:11 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I signed up for IM70.3 Syracuse yesterday. So...um....yeah.

2011-03-03 10:13 PM
in reply to: #3381970

User image

Kennesaw
I have run 13.1 3 different times, and I am planning on it again in April.  However, I have not had time to get in a lot of training.  My schedule has been so crazy, I have only been able to run 2-3 times a week and I haven't ridden or swam in several weeks.
2011-03-04 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3381970

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Long, long ago... in a galaxy far, far away...

Right after I finished high school (1982, for those that don't want to do the math), I decided I was going to run the Seattle Marathon, which was some 5 months later. I built up and was running 70+ mile weeks. I got my "long run" at 22 miles. I did that 3 times before the race, my best for that loop being 2:50. Did it completely without food or water. Stupid... My calves were cramping the last mile.

Race day I hit the half-way point at 1:35, perfectly paced for a 3:10, and then crashed and burned 2 miles later. I walked and jogged the reast of the way in and finished in 3:53.

Longest I've run since was 14 miles preparing for a half marathon in 1986.

Longest in, say, the last 3 years? 9 miles.

2011-03-04 10:50 AM

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

December.  32.1 miles.  6 hours 20 minutes. Huff 50k trail run (more like 52K)  Something I won't do again soon.  That concluded any endurance training I will do for a while.  This year is all about speed. 

Ate an entire large pizza and 1/2 pint of whiskey in the hotel that night.  Ran 5 miles on the treadmill in the morning Surprised

Back around 94 I entered the Tour de Tucson (just to finish)  I remember doing 70+ mile training rides without food.  One time bonked so bad I was pedaling at about 3 mph then fell over on the bike.  Another time I got home and my stomach felt ice cold while the rest of me was burning up.  Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Briderdt and Lkct's Mentor Group - CLOSED for training! Rss Feed  

of 16