BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-01-31 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4020435

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed

enders_shadow - 2012-01-31 10:35 AM Hey goonies - did my planned 3 mile run this morning & off to a good day... Now if only I could be so planned & productive in my job.... (Getting off BT and Facebook once in a while would help, I know.)

I'm illegally trolling BT from my work computer as we speak.  I'm only being productive in spurts today.

We're enjoying perfect weather in Indiana right now.  The sun is shining and it's nearly 60* out there.  It's killing me that I've got a bum leg and can't get out for a run.  Here's hoping my leg heals before the warm disappears!

2012-01-31 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3955221

User image

Regular
NWA

Hey Gang-

Just stopping in to say hello and hope everyone is having a good week so far.  The posts make it seem like that is the case.

Had the most unhealthy but delicious Mexican dinner last night...rice, beans, cheese - all the typical cheap Mexican fare that is so yummy. I am regretting it so much though.

One of my weaknesses is cinnamon jelly hearts...I finally broke down and bought a bag today.  Good thing they are only available around Valentines Day. 

Have a great week of training!!

T.

2012-01-31 5:40 PM
in reply to: #4020434

New user

Pueblo
Yes, it has been almost 6 months.  It is enough for a person to go absolutely insane.  Did another 5 mile walk today, it felt so good.  To all, I have really enjoyed reading all the positive posts so far...good group.
2012-02-01 7:52 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Happy February!

Started the month off right with my planned 4miler this morning.

Did some strength training yesterday and my biceps are killing me. Yeah, I know, only muscleheads work their biceps. I'm not a musclehead - I'm following a program that my gym subscribes to (ActiveTrax) that gradually increases my weights and moves around to focus on different body areas. Usually the areas are a little more useful, like chest or back or legs. But for whatever reason, the workout I was up to was biceps. Blech. Although maybe I'll get me some Linda Hamilton in Terminator arms. That would be sweet.
2012-02-01 9:10 AM
in reply to: #4022663

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

enders_shadow - 2012-02-01 8:52 AM Happy February! Started the month off right with my planned 4miler this morning. Did some strength training yesterday and my biceps are killing me. Yeah, I know, only muscleheads work their biceps. I'm not a musclehead - I'm following a program that my gym subscribes to (ActiveTrax) that gradually increases my weights and moves around to focus on different body areas. Usually the areas are a little more useful, like chest or back or legs. But for whatever reason, the workout I was up to was biceps. Blech. Although maybe I'll get me some Linda Hamilton in Terminator arms. That would be sweet.

Heh.  When I was in college I broke my leg and was on crutches for 8 weeks.  I lived on the 3rd floor of an apartment building that didn't have an elevator.  So every day I crutched my way up and down the stairs.  By the time I was off the crutches I had the most killer biceps!

2012-02-01 9:12 AM
in reply to: #4020803

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Tambo1221 - 2012-01-31 12:59 PM

Hey Gang-

Just stopping in to say hello and hope everyone is having a good week so far.  The posts make it seem like that is the case.

Had the most unhealthy but delicious Mexican dinner last night...rice, beans, cheese - all the typical cheap Mexican fare that is so yummy. I am regretting it so much though.

One of my weaknesses is cinnamon jelly hearts...I finally broke down and bought a bag today.  Good thing they are only available around Valentines Day. 

Have a great week of training!!

T. 

MMmmmmm...I *heart* mexican food!  Especially with margaritas!  If calories were of no importance I could eat pancakes and bacon for breakfast, mexican for lunch, and pizza for dinner every single day of the week.

2012-02-01 11:07 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Hey Goonies,  HAPPY FEBUARY

Got a nice run in yesterday.  Great weather in Boise, almost 50, sunny.  Unfortunately I got into some muddy trails, and that can really screw up the trails going into summer, so SWIMBA (SouthWest Idaho Mtn Bike Assoc) I'm sorry and vow to do more volunteer work in the spring.

I'm off tomorrow, but rain in forcast, so rollers in man-cave are likely. 

2012-02-01 12:13 PM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Where did January go!!!

Tuesday was a good day even with traveling to Omaha  I got in a spin class (1 1/2 hours) and then hit the gym last night for a swim (60 laps).  Woke up this morning with some tired legs and back/shoulders. 

Going to get a run and swim in later today/night.  Went grocery shopping last night as well and cooked a healthy meal in my room - Win!!  Getting ready to eat my FF greek yogurt with a small amount of low fat granola for crunch.

2012-02-01 9:01 PM
in reply to: #4019852

Fairfax, VA
jross64 - 2012-01-30 11:14 PM

5 mile walk today - felt really good.  Dr. apt. on Thursdsay.  Hopefully, he will let me on my bike again.  can't wait to get on the road again.  Neck is feeling good but stiff as hell.  PT starts next week.  

Good luck and hope PT starts well!
2012-02-01 9:13 PM

Fairfax, VA
Hope you all are having a great week so far

The weather has been unseasonably warm here as well - into the 50s and even a couple of days in the 60s! Crazy. Definitely going to take advantage of it as much as I can.

I need some advice on replacing my planned swim training with Ruth Kazez's 0 to 1 mile in 6 weeks. My first race this year is on May 13, so I wanted to know how to properly maintain & taper those distances from week 7 to race day? This week is week 1.

Thanks!

2012-02-02 8:05 AM
in reply to: #4024489

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

No Mayo - 2012-02-01 10:13 PM Hope you all are having a great week so far The weather has been unseasonably warm here as well - into the 50s and even a couple of days in the 60s! Crazy. Definitely going to take advantage of it as much as I can. I need some advice on replacing my planned swim training with Ruth Kazez's 0 to 1 mile in 6 weeks. My first race this year is on May 13, so I wanted to know how to properly maintain & taper those distances from week 7 to race day? This week is week 1. Thanks!

You've got a good chunk of time until race day.  The first thing I would do is concentrate on making it through the six week program.  This will build some consistency in your swim training and help you establish a base.  After that you have a couple of option - buy a book that has swim workouts, find workouts online, build your own swim workouts, workout with a masters program.  The cool thing about swimming is that it is low impact.  You can add intensity to every single workout without much risk of injury.  Once you're comfortable with the yardage you can start pushing the tempo.

If you can get through the final week of the 0 to 1650 program than you can easily do workouts in the 2000 to 2500 yd range and you can keep up the volume until a week before the race.  During race week you'll just want to get to the pool a few times and do some short workouts with intensity.  Basically, you're just looking to keep a feel for the water as you head into race day.

What distance is your May race?  Is it an open water swim or a pool swim?

2012-02-02 11:07 AM
in reply to: #4022879

User image

Champion
esc - 2012-02-01 10:12 AM

MMmmmmm...I *heart* mexican food!  Especially with margaritas!  If calories were of no importance I could eat pancakes and bacon for breakfast, mexican for lunch, and pizza for dinner every single day of the week.

Yes. And if I didn't have to work on top of it, mimosas w/ breakfast, margaritas with lunch, and beer with dinner.

Oh, well - good thing calories and work do exist.
2012-02-02 11:09 AM

User image

Champion
My happy thought of the day...

we just watched Black Swan last night - yeah, a little behind the times...we don't watch movies in theaters- we just wait until DirectTV gives us free previews of HBO & ShowTime...

anyway, the happy thought is that dancer feet are uglier than marathoner feet.
2012-02-02 11:10 AM

Middle Tennessee

I am protesting Puxatony Phil.  I do not want 6 more weeks of winter.  And it might be working, because we are having a gorgeous spring day today.

Body assessment as a laid in bed this morning 7 days into the worst cold I have had in years...

Nose/Sinus - copious amounts of snot (sorry TMI) - yep

throat - little raw

head - pounding headache - hmmm, no - small sinus headache this morning

chest - burning lungs - NO!.  Can I breath clearly? - YES!

I CAN TRAIN TODAY!!!!!

I did a 35 minute easy run, outside, in wonderful weather.  It massively stormed last night, but there was not a cloud in the sky  when I got up.  The air had the fresh, clean feeling.  Blue, blue, sky, sun shining, temp was 58 deg.  Perfect, perfect weather.  The weather made me want to push, along with my legs being reving to go, but I held myself to a slow 10 m/m.  

I'm back!!

I am going to try to get a bike in sometime today.  Would love to get outside, but it may have to be a 9 pm trainer easy spin - just going to see how the day unfolds.

Now I need to decide how to schedule the next couple of weeks of workouts, so I can get back on track with the training plan.

2012-02-02 11:12 AM
in reply to: #4025364

Middle Tennessee
enders_shadow - 2012-02-02 11:07 AM

Yes. And if I didn't have to work on top of it, mimosas w/ breakfast, margaritas with lunch, and beer with dinner. Oh, well - good thing calories and work do exist.

I love this post!

2012-02-02 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Yeah Kat, glad you are back, try not to overtrain to make up for lost time. Seems we're all a little slow posting this week, I hope this is because we're all having good weeks...

I got elliptical in this morning but got lucky and did a mile in the pool. first full 800 yds since high school, I'm on a big high right now!

I also get the DS alone tonight. I think we'll sneak a pizza and he said he wanted to go for a run. Talk about impressionable, we have him so screwed up he is more excited to get a yellow and black helmet like daddy's for his birthday than anything else. Check it out (http://shop.mellowjohnnys.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Helmet+LIVESTRONG+Rascal)

Well back to work. Is it Friday yet?

2012-02-02 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4025364

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
enders_shadow - 2012-02-02 12:07 PM

Yes. And if I didn't have to work on top of it, mimosas w/ breakfast, margaritas with lunch, and beer with dinner. Oh, well - good thing calories and work do exist.

You might be my long lost twin.

2012-02-02 1:23 PM
in reply to: #4025369

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
KatNWater - 2012-02-02 12:10 PM

I am protesting Puxatony Phil.  I do not want 6 more weeks of winter.  And it might be working, because we are having a gorgeous spring day today.

Body assessment as a laid in bed this morning 7 days into the worst cold I have had in years...

Nose/Sinus - copious amounts of snot (sorry TMI) - yep

throat - little raw

head - pounding headache - hmmm, no - small sinus headache this morning

chest - burning lungs - NO!.  Can I breath clearly? - YES!

I CAN TRAIN TODAY!!!!!

I did a 35 minute easy run, outside, in wonderful weather.  It massively stormed last night, but there was not a cloud in the sky  when I got up.  The air had the fresh, clean feeling.  Blue, blue, sky, sun shining, temp was 58 deg.  Perfect, perfect weather.  The weather made me want to push, along with my legs being reving to go, but I held myself to a slow 10 m/m.  

I'm back!!

I am going to try to get a bike in sometime today.  Would love to get outside, but it may have to be a 9 pm trainer easy spin - just going to see how the day unfolds.

Now I need to decide how to schedule the next couple of weeks of workouts, so I can get back on track with the training plan.

Glad you're finally feeling better!

As far as getting back on track...if you can swing it, just forget about the missed workouts.  Pick your training plan up like you didn't miss any days.  If it feels like too big of a jump then you might consider repeating the week that you missed.  (So next week you'll actually be doing the workouts that were originally planned for this week.)  That only puts you a week behind plan and as you start to get more fit you'll be capable of bigger volume jumps.  You can work your way back to the plan a little further down the road.

2012-02-02 1:25 PM
in reply to: #4025658

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

coolgenes - 2012-02-02 2:04 PM Yeah Kat, glad you are back, try not to overtrain to make up for lost time. Seems we're all a little slow posting this week, I hope this is because we're all having good weeks... I got elliptical in this morning but got lucky and did a mile in the pool. first full 800 yds since high school, I'm on a big high right now! I also get the DS alone tonight. I think we'll sneak a pizza and he said he wanted to go for a run. Talk about impressionable, we have him so screwed up he is more excited to get a yellow and black helmet like daddy's for his birthday than anything else. Check it out (http://shop.mellowjohnnys.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Helmet+LIVESTRONG+Rascal) Well back to work. Is it Friday yet?

Congrats on the swim milestone!

Have fun with the kiddo tonight.  That bike helmet is wicked awesome!  I love that you're growing a little triathlete!

2012-02-02 4:41 PM

New user
Woolwich, Maine

Hey all... I've been out of the loop this week... I have a wicked head cold and its bringing me down.  I have a 10 mile race this Sunday but if I keep feeling the way I am right now I don't think I'll make it.  The first race I ever did was the Great Mountain 5 mile race in Orland, ME and I had a head cold then too.  I almost passed out half way through and walked quite a bit.  I came in second to last, but it obviously didn't stop be from running more  

Anyway... I hope to make it Sunday and I just might end up walking some if my body is still tired, no shame in that.  I hope everyone is doing well and I'll be catching up on the posts this weekend. 

Happy training!

Dawn

2012-02-02 5:06 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Hey Goonies,

Glad everyone is healthy and well.

Over the past 6 weeks I have made three startling discoveries....

1) Vibram 5 fingers

2)  Injinji socks (with the VFF and/or regular shoes)

3) The book "Born to Run"

All will have a lasting, meaningful impact on my life.  Cool

Oh, and I got up early this AM to swim...yes you read that correctly.  I got up early.

2012-02-02 5:31 PM

User image

Regular
NWA

Hello Goonies-

Don't believe I've mentioned this yet...but I picked my 4th grade Pen Pal because she said her favorite movie ever was The Goonies.  Can't but love Goonies - wherever we are.

So, question for the group (but I assume mostly the women will respond)...Since I've never been a swimmer, I'm a little unclear about hair care.  How bad is it that I don't wash it out after a swim?  Is there a spray in protectant I could use?  Anyone got one they recommend?  I have noticed my hair looking a little rougher now...I don't color my hair and avoid most chemical treatments, so to me it is starting to feel "damaged".  Thank you for any recommendations...or thoughts/tricks for quickly getting ready after a swim.  My husband says just cut it all off like Mirinda Carfrae (the 2nd place finisher in Kona).  Personally, I think he just liked her. Laughing  I could tell myself its the accent, but somehow, I don't think thats it.

Also - on the swim topic...googles...I know my instructions when I bought them said do not rub the defogger off...but I had to clean the lenses the other day and now - they fog up really bad...I mean - there was weird gunk build up on the edges - I had to clean them!!  I only used water from the sink...no suds and a soft towel to dry them.  So, what spray on defogger is the best?

T.

2012-02-02 6:32 PM

User image

Chlorine vs. Hair:  I'm a blonde who colors (er, enhances) my hair color.  My hair is pretty fine and dry.   I use Ion Purifying Solutions Shampoo and then Ion Purifying solutions leave in condition.  Got them at Sally's Beauty Supplies:  http://www.sallybeauty.com/clarifying-shampoo/ION5,default,pd.html  works perfectly for me!  I use a regular conditioner.

Head colds - ugh, finaly over mine, but took a week and I tried to train through it.  Some days were good, others were not

Great job on your swims everyone - can't wait for open water!

60's here in Illinois today - five mile run home I was actuallly hot.  crazy.

2012-02-02 6:57 PM

Middle Tennessee

If you really care about your hair you can do the following to protect it. 

Before you swim:

Wet hair with tap water

Rub in a handful of a leave in conditioner - can be any brand

Put on your swim cap

After a swim:

Rinse hair as soon as possible

Use a good anti-chlorine shampoo and conditioner

Try to limit heat drying and styling.

Now to be honest, I vary rarely do this.  I did spent all summer teaching swim lessons 6 hours a day, outside in my pool, that I kept on the high side of acceptable chlorine levels because I had 4 year olds in my pool all day.Innocent   My hair was completely fried.  It is now in a very very adorable pixie cut - which was the only thing I could do with it.  I have started the leave in conditioner before I swim now.

2012-02-02 7:16 PM
in reply to: #4026365

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
Tambo1221 - 2012-02-02 5:31 PM

Hello Goonies-

So, question for the group (but I assume mostly the women will respond)...Since I've never been a swimmer, I'm a little unclear about hair care.  How bad is it that I don't wash it out after a swim?  Is there a spray in protectant I could use?  Anyone got one they recommend?  I have noticed my hair looking a little rougher now...I don't color my hair and avoid most chemical treatments, so to me it is starting to feel "damaged".  Thank you for any recommendations...or thoughts/tricks for quickly getting ready after a swim.  My husband says just cut it all off like Mirinda Carfrae (the 2nd place finisher in Kona).  Personally, I think he just liked her. Laughing  I could tell myself its the accent, but somehow, I don't think thats it.

Do what I do - shave your head;0  JK...  Sorry can't help you on that one.  I sure can say my skin on the other hand gets way irritated based on the amount chemicals they have in the pool.  Seems they shock the hell out of them way to much.  I guess it's better than having germs living in it.  So used to our pool in our Cali house - salt pool.  You actually get out with smoother skin rather than irritated skin.

Sorry on the goggles.  I have been using the same aqua sphere's for the past year with no problems.  I would check the mfg's website for help.

Edited by Joeyj1974 2012-02-02 7:29 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  

of 23