BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JFord Bradleyd3 2013 Spring Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2013-02-13 8:16 PM
in reply to: #4543020

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Subject: RE: JFord Bradleyd3 2013 Spring Group- Closed
Another bike question from the slow girl... Ok last year I used bt's beginner HIM program to train for 1/2 Aquabike. BT uses time not distance for this beginner plan. I realized (at some point in the plan) that i wouldn't get any rides longer than 40 or 50mi if I went by bt's "minutes" bc I'm as I said ima slowpoke :| I'm using the same plan for Vineman HIM this yr and will definitely tweak the bike training to get more mileage in. So my question is how many times should I plan to ride more than 56 ish miles prior to the HIM? And when (which weeks prior) would that long distance be most beneficial for my bike fitness? My logs from last yr are avail to view and frm what I remember I think I had one 50 mi ride prior to the event- maybe 2-3 Wks prior. Not enough IMO. Also, is there a good HIM plan that someone could recommend that uses distance and not time? Thanks!!!

Edited by EV3110 2013-02-13 8:21 PM

2013-02-13 8:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Btw, I begin BT's beginner HIM training on the 25th of this month.
2013-02-13 8:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Btw, I begin BT's beginner HIM training on the 25th of this month.
2013-02-13 10:43 PM

User image

Denton, TX

My confession: I took two days off this week.  One was planned and I needed it.  The other, I was tied up with work and worked late so I could skip work today and spend it with my wife as a Valentine's present.  

I am struggling with my TRI training as I try to ease into my cycling season.  I think I may have to take a leave of absence from my cycling race team.  I really am not in good cycling shape to race and I think I am screwing up my trng for my 70.3...Will have to reevaluate after this weekend of stage racing.  I am just not adding value to my team not being in race shape.  Too hard racing at that level and training for my TRI.  Call me weak...I can take it.Cool

Music?  I am glad James put this on the table.  I usually a big music guy, but knowing I can't on my 70.3's this summer  - I have dropped most music while I train.  I think that is best for me as I work to build mental toughness.

Stuart?  How many weeks til Cairns?  Thought about your race as I was scanning IM pages. 

Michelle: shoes update (cycling shoes)?  

I wish to say I am thankful I did not crosstrain shoveling snow!  Great job getting your work done inside!  You are a better man than I!  I am a mental midget in the winter.  I will be killing it as we hit spring I promise.  Give me heat and humidity any day over cold and moist.

2013-02-14 7:02 AM
in reply to: #4621113

User image

New user
Knoxville
jford2309 - 2013-02-13 3:36 PM

In order to get more conversations going, I will start asking different questions:

Who runs with music?

It's weird for me because I can go either way, when I train for marathons, I have to have music, but triathlons, I usually do not run with music. Makes no difference to me on shorter runs.

I would love to run with music, but I have tiny mouse ears and can't find ear buds that don't pop out while running. I refuse to work out with headphones. I'm geeky enough already.I have to join the injured this week. I got worked on ski patrol last weekend. Hard snowboard training, bad board set up and a crash with another snowboarder has me limping around. I'm trying to make it up with yoga. I'll hit the pool tonight and I have a vist with the chiropractor on Friday. I'm thinking about a standing chiropractor and massage appointments. Hopefully next week I'll be able to resume training.Take care of all yourselves. Renee
2013-02-14 12:04 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Happy Valentine's Day!  Don't forget it's today!!!!

2013-02-14 12:09 PM
in reply to: #4622351

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
jford2309 - 2013-02-14 10:04 AMHappy Valentine's Day!  Don't forget it's today!!!!
WHAT?!!.... I thought EVERYday was Valentines day!
2013-02-14 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4622359

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

EV3110 - 2013-02-14 12:09 PM
jford2309 - 2013-02-14 10:04 AMHappy Valentine's Day!  Don't forget it's today!!!!
WHAT?!!.... I thought EVERYday was Valentines day!

My wife told me that cause I am such a great husband!

2013-02-14 2:26 PM
in reply to: #4622351

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia

jford2309 - 2013-02-14 12:04 PM Happy Valentine's Day!  Don't forget it's today!!!!

Trust me....I didn't forget.  My wife NEVER let's me forget any special day (Birthday, Anniversary, etc.).  Only problem with Valentine's Day is that I get to celebrate it with my wife.....AND my mother-in-law.  It's not that big of a deal because of all the help that she has given us with the wonderful new addition to our family, but she gave my wife some gorgeous earrings.  I didn't need to have to compete with my mother-in-law!!!  The whole sweet gesture thing is kind of shot now.  Frown

2013-02-14 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Wondering if anyone had info on the bike question I posted the other day. Anyone? ....anyone? ... Bueller? :D
2013-02-14 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Wondering if anyone had info on the bike question I posted the other day. Anyone? ....anyone? ... Bueller? :D

2013-02-14 3:56 PM
in reply to: #4621509

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

EV3110 - 2013-02-13 8:16 PM Another bike question from the slow girl... Ok last year I used bt's beginner HIM program to train for 1/2 Aquabike. BT uses time not distance for this beginner plan. I realized (at some point in the plan) that i wouldn't get any rides longer than 40 or 50mi if I went by bt's "minutes" bc I'm as I said ima slowpoke :| I'm using the same plan for Vineman HIM this yr and will definitely tweak the bike training to get more mileage in. So my question is how many times should I plan to ride more than 56 ish miles prior to the HIM? And when (which weeks prior) would that long distance be most beneficial for my bike fitness? My logs from last yr are avail to view and frm what I remember I think I had one 50 mi ride prior to the event- maybe 2-3 Wks prior. Not enough IMO. Also, is there a good HIM plan that someone could recommend that uses distance and not time? Thanks!!!

Sorry, must have missed it!

I am trying to remember but for my last HIM I think I only had one maybe two rides over 60 miles. If your plan calls for a 50 mile ride already, I would not freak out about another 6 miles. You know you can do the distance! I would be more concerned about how I felt coming off the bike. If you have the bike fitness done, then you are good to go on the run, but if you do not have the bike fitness, your run will suffer. I would expect you would be doing 300+ a month on the bike to ensure the fitness!

Also I have used BT's plan before and have not been disappointed. For me, I trust the plan!

Edited by jford2309 2013-02-14 3:57 PM
2013-02-14 5:02 PM
in reply to: #4622798

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
jford2309 - 2013-02-14 1:56 PM

EV3110 - 2013-02-13 8:16 PM Another bike question from the slow girl... Ok last year I used bt's beginner HIM program to train for 1/2 Aquabike. BT uses time not distance for this beginner plan. I realized (at some point in the plan) that i wouldn't get any rides longer than 40 or 50mi if I went by bt's "minutes" bc I'm as I said ima slowpoke :| I'm using the same plan for Vineman HIM this yr and will definitely tweak the bike training to get more mileage in. So my question is how many times should I plan to ride more than 56 ish miles prior to the HIM? And when (which weeks prior) would that long distance be most beneficial for my bike fitness? My logs from last yr are avail to view and frm what I remember I think I had one 50 mi ride prior to the event- maybe 2-3 Wks prior. Not enough IMO. Also, is there a good HIM plan that someone could recommend that uses distance and not time? Thanks!!!

I am trying to remember but for my last HIM I think I only had one maybe two rides over 60 miles. If your plan calls for a 50 mile ride already, I would not freak out about another 6 miles. You know you can do the distance! I would be more concerned about how I felt coming off the bike. If you have the bike fitness done, then you are good to go on the run, but if you do not have the bike fitness, your run will suffer. I would expect you would be doing 300+ a month on the bike to ensure the fitness!

Also I have used BT's plan before and have not been disappointed. For me, I trust the plan!

--- Well that's the thing, The beginner plan uses time not distance. I wish it would use distance!. It takes (took) me 3 hours to ride 40 miles during training last yr. Thats 14mph. I checked my logs. My longest ride prior to race day was a 53mile ride 2 weeks out. It took me 3:34. Training said to ride 3 hrs but had i only ridden what the training advised (the 3hrs)I would have never made it past 45 miles or so. see what I'm saying? Im wanting my bike fitness above and beyond what the beginner training advises. And want to know what that looks like in miles. i know I may not gain any speed but I'm just wanting to know what ( in mileage) should bike miles/ training look like on a calendar a couple of months prior to the event. I think I'm rambling. Lol. Yes?
2013-02-14 5:46 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia

Sorry to interrupt the bike workout discussion but I had to post.  Today the registrations of all my races this season were finally open.  I have registered for my full season of races.  There are two more that are on the plans, but if I continue to do well in the Indoor Triathlons that I have been doing, I will get free registrations into those two.  Just holding out on them.

NO TURNING BACK NOW!!!!  All races registered for!!!!!  Laughing

2013-02-14 5:47 PM
in reply to: #4622880

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
EV3110 - 2013-02-15 9:02 AM

--- Well that's the thing, The beginner plan uses time not distance. I wish it would use distance!. It takes (took) me 3 hours to ride 40 miles during training last yr. Thats 14mph. I checked my logs. My longest ride prior to race day was a 53mile ride 2 weeks out. It took me 3:34. Training said to ride 3 hrs but had i only ridden what the training advised (the 3hrs)I would have never made it past 45 miles or so. see what I'm saying? Im wanting my bike fitness above and beyond what the beginner training advises. And want to know what that looks like in miles. i know I may not gain any speed but I'm just wanting to know what ( in mileage) should bike miles/ training look like on a calendar a couple of months prior to the event. I think I'm rambling. Lol. Yes?

Unfortunately that's the downside of a stock plan - it doesn't allow for individual variation. I haven't looked at the BT plan for a while but from memory remember it being a little too swim focussed on not enough bike (I may be wrong).

I only did 1 90k ride before the race, and I would have liked to do at least 3, but I was slack and it didn't happen. Try to hit your longest ride 4 weeks prior to the race (assuming a 3 week taper), and then try and do the same ride 4 weeks earlier than that.

A long ride like yours (53m in 3:34) 2 weeks from race is too close IMO - not enough time for an effective taper.

Feel free to check out my logs from about April last year to October for my HIM training.
2013-02-14 6:00 PM
in reply to: #4622925

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
stuart_little_9 - 2013-02-14 3:47 PM
EV3110 - 2013-02-15 9:02 AM

Unfortunately that's the downside of a stock plan - it doesn't allow for individual variation. I haven't looked at the BT plan for a while but from memory remember it being a little too swim focussed on not enough bike (I may be wrong). I only did 1 90k ride before the race, and I would have liked to do at least 3, but I was slack and it didn't happen. Try to hit your longest ride 4 weeks prior to the race (assuming a 3 week taper), and then try and do the same ride 4 weeks earlier than that. A long ride like yours (53m in 3:34) 2 weeks from race is too close IMO - not enough time for an effective taper. Feel free to check out my logs from about April last year to October for my HIM training.

----Stewart:  Since last yrs race Ive heard (read) that many people believe there should be more  bike & swim min in the beginner plan...  thus, i will  tweak!   So youd have felt better had you ridden 50+ miles several times with the longest 4 wks prior.  ok, That helps.  I will definitley ck your logs.  thx. 

David:  Feels good to register doesn't it!!  Nice!  Whens your first race? 

Everyone:  When is YOUR first race? 

2013-02-14 7:59 PM
in reply to: #4621621

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Todd13 - 2013-02-14 2:43 PM

My confession: I took two days off this week.  One was planned and I needed it.  The other, I was tied up with work and worked late so I could skip work today and spend it with my wife as a Valentine's present.  

I am struggling with my TRI training as I try to ease into my cycling season.  I think I may have to take a leave of absence from my cycling race team.  I really am not in good cycling shape to race and I think I am screwing up my trng for my 70.3...Will have to reevaluate after this weekend of stage racing.  I am just not adding value to my team not being in race shape.  Too hard racing at that level and training for my TRI.  Call me weak...I can take it.Cool

Music?  I am glad James put this on the table.  I usually a big music guy, but knowing I can't on my 70.3's this summer  - I have dropped most music while I train.  I think that is best for me as I work to build mental toughness.

Stuart?  How many weeks til Cairns?  Thought about your race as I was scanning IM pages. 

Michelle: shoes update (cycling shoes)?  

I wish to say I am thankful I did not crosstrain shoveling snow!  Great job getting your work done inside!  You are a better man than I!  I am a mental midget in the winter.  I will be killing it as we hit spring I promise.  Give me heat and humidity any day over cold and moist.

Ergh I have done 1 workout this week - a 30min run yesterday arvo. At least it's a recovery week. I am planning on really working hard on my swim for the next block of training, as I slacked off this month.

Cairns is now 16 weeks from Sunday. First race of the year is an Oly in 4 weeks from Sunday. Hoping to go <2:30, my PR on the course is 2:34.

Music - I will always have music or a podcast on a long run, anything over 70-80mins or so. For anything shorter, I sometimes will, sometimes not, depends on if I need the extra motiviation. I never have headphones for cycling, as it impedes your hearing and you can't hear cars. As for swimming, I'd never get a waterproof thing as I am concentrating so hard on my pace - I keep doing the maths in my head as to when I need to hit the wall, so I think music would distract me.
2013-02-14 9:48 PM

User image

Denton, TX

hard not to butt in on the cycling question...

I would not mind having a 2 wk taper on the bike - cycling doesn't really tax the legs like running IMO.  But you should taper 10-15 days out.  The confidence you gain from doing the mileage is worth it - go for it.  none of us are applying for our PRO license this I don't think (Brad may be since he does not post his 'stealth trainining'), as Stuart said - adapt to your own needs.

If you want to nail those longer rides for confidence - do it!  gain the confidence and get that nutrition down.  Like James said, it is all about having gas left in the tank so your legs can carry through the run.  Nailing those longer bike rides will help you mentally.  Hydrate and practice your nutrition so you are ready to don the shoes and do some damage on the run.

I am 'out' this weekend: travelling tomorrow to race Sat and Sun on the bike.  TT and crit race Saturday and road race Sunday.  I am a role player this year on the team - just cover attacks and protect our best riders so they can race for podium spots.  Good comradarie, but not good TRI trng.

2013-02-15 9:21 AM
in reply to: #4622937

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia

David:  Feels good to register doesn't it!!  Nice!  Whens your first race? 

First race isn't until June 16th, but I have the next on June 29th.  Fast and furious!!!!!

2013-02-15 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4623144

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Todd13 - 2013-02-14 9:48 PM

hard not to butt in on the cycling question...

I would not mind having a 2 wk taper on the bike - cycling doesn't really tax the legs like running IMO.  But you should taper 10-15 days out.  The confidence you gain from doing the mileage is worth it - go for it.  none of us are applying for our PRO license this I don't think (Brad may be since he does not post his 'stealth trainining'), as Stuart said - adapt to your own needs.

If you want to nail those longer rides for confidence - do it!  gain the confidence and get that nutrition down.  Like James said, it is all about having gas left in the tank so your legs can carry through the run.  Nailing those longer bike rides will help you mentally.  Hydrate and practice your nutrition so you are ready to don the shoes and do some damage on the run.

I am 'out' this weekend: travelling tomorrow to race Sat and Sun on the bike.  TT and crit race Saturday and road race Sunday.  I am a role player this year on the team - just cover attacks and protect our best riders so they can race for podium spots.  Good comradarie, but not good TRI trng.

Please never feel like you are butting in on a conversation! Everyone is welcome to their thoughts!

On thing to keep in mind about the mileage: When training for a marathon, I never once ran 26.2 miles in training. My longest run was 20, maybe 22 miles. So for me, I don't feel that I have to do the distance to know if I am ready. I think you will know when you have the confidence to complete the 56 miles. Some people it only takes one ride of 50-60, others may want 3 rides of that distance. So I would suggest that you get to where you are confident in the distsnce, whether that means 2 rides or 3 rides of 50+

2013-02-15 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Thanks far the bike info all! Like James said, dont feel like you arebutting in. I want everyone's input and plus people state Info differently which helps me pick & choose which info best makes sense For my brain. Interestingly enough, a guy posted essentially the same question on Triathlon Talk forum...just without the rambling.. Lots of good info. -----so David's first race is in June. My first race is March 10-a duathlon- 6-25-3. My running still is t where it Id like it to be- shin splits. But they are def healing and feeeling better. Everyone else? Next race is...

2013-02-15 10:45 AM
in reply to: #4622937

User image

Regular
Akron, OH
EV3110 - 2013-02-14 7:00 PM

First running race is 4/14, first tri is not until 7/20... I have a crazy travel schedule this year.

2013-02-15 12:51 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I have been doing a trail run series since Jan, and have the final 10K on Sunday.

March brings a half marathon

April a Dash N Splash and then..

Memphis in May Olympic Triathlon!  in May of course!  

2013-02-15 6:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
I have a half in April , when I signed up I forgot just how cold the water is in April.
2013-02-15 7:46 PM

User image

Georgetown, MA
Indoor tri tomorrow morning, #2 of a 3 part series.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JFord Bradleyd3 2013 Spring Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 27