BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JFord Bradleyd3 2013 Spring Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2013-05-04 6:58 PM
in reply to: #4543020

User image

New user
Subject: RE: JFord Bradleyd3 2013 Spring Group- Closed
Had a blast at the Color me Rad run with my wife and oldest today!  It was a simple 5K but it was 44 degrees and sprinkling.  My 6 year old and I did it in 38 min.  I think I have a runner in him!

2013-05-06 2:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
Rocketman Florida was amazing! Wow! What a race. I went into it very nervous. After my panic attack in open water at my last race, I just didn't know what was going to happen. I got in the water the day before. I stood in the water for about 15 minutes before I could even put my head in the water. The more I stood there, the more scared I became. I knew I just had to do it. I finally put my head in and took a couple strokes. Everything was fine. I didn't swim a lot. I was just proving to myself that I could do it. It was mandatory bike check in on Saturday. I took my bike for a short spin to make sure everything worked and then to transition it went. I had to wrap it all up because heavy rain was coming. Race morning I got up at 3:15. I had a banana and got ready to go. My husband and I went to breakfast so he could eat. I got a bagel with peanut butter but only finished about half. Off to the race to set up transition. I was surprised by how much tire pressure was lost overnight. Transition closed at 6:15. My wave start was 7:01. Nerves were building but so was my confidence. I knew (with God's help) I could do this. We had to walk out the pier and climb down a ladder to get in the water. It was a waste start but we didn't have to tread water since it was only chest deep. I swam a little when we got in the water before or wave started just to get warmed up. From the time the whistle blew I was ready. 1.2 miles looked long when spread out into one large triangle. I took my first few strokes and knew this was going to be Ok. By the time we reached the furthest point the wind picked up and the water gained movement. Salt water is great for floating but tastes horrible! I thought for sure I would be dehydrated by the time the swim was over. I had some problems swimming straight on the lady leg of the triangle but it felt good every time I took a breath I would see other simmers. I knew I wasn't in the big pack of my wave group but I wasn't last! When I got out of the water I was super excited! The past I feared the most went well. I was all smiles. This was going to be a great day. The bike course was wonderful (except the roads were in bad condition). The scenery was breathtaking. The sun had come out and it was a beautiful day for a ride. It was sometimes hard to stay focused on this being a race. Riding through the Kennedy space center and around the shuttle launch pads was AWESOME! The ride back to transition was a crazy headwind. I dropped to a lower gear and stayed aero as much as I could. The bumpy roads made for an uncomfortable ride. I saw an alligator, a turtle, two cranes and some Turkey volchers. The last part of the bike was back over the bridge. This was tough going into the headwind but I did it and was super excited that I knew this was my day. Now for the running. This is the part that I think should always be easiest because it's what I have been doing the longest. It was not. I can only guess it was the heat. Many people walking. It was a double loop and I had no idea how many were on their first or second loop. That made it a little tough. I felt like I was the only one with another loop to go. At the 3.5 mile turn around I wonderful how I would ever do this loop again. It was hot. I was grabbing I've at each aid station and eating it until I got to the next aid station to pick up another cup. I started adding walking. I would pick out landmarks and run to it and then pick another to walk to it. Finished my first loop and I heardsomeone say there was still one bike out. My heart sank for that person. They were going to have a very tough run and the would not be many people out there. Even the great spectators that were out for my first loop, we're gone for my second. I did manage to finish running. I never completely switched to walling which I saw many do. I think sometimes I give myself permission to walk because I see a lot of other people walking. My legs didn't hurt. I didn't start to feel something in my right knee but only a couple times and then it was gone. I was happy to see that I was going to finish under 7.5 hours. My plan was to finish around 8 hours. All in all it was a great race. I am significantly sun burnt and have chafing from my wetsuit that is very sore. However, the joy and sense of accomplishment for having finished my first half iron race makes it all worth it!
2013-05-06 4:07 PM
in reply to: #4729819

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

mkennedy0525 - 2013-05-06 2:03 PM Rocketman Florida was amazing! Wow! What a race. I went into it very nervous. After my panic attack in open water at my last race, I just didn't know what was going to happen. I got in the water the day before. I stood in the water for about 15 minutes before I could even put my head in the water. The more I stood there, the more scared I became. I knew I just had to do it. I finally put my head in and took a couple strokes. Everything was fine. I didn't swim a lot. I was just proving to myself that I could do it. It was mandatory bike check in on Saturday. I took my bike for a short spin to make sure everything worked and then to transition it went. I had to wrap it all up because heavy rain was coming. Race morning I got up at 3:15. I had a banana and got ready to go. My husband and I went to breakfast so he could eat. I got a bagel with peanut butter but only finished about half. Off to the race to set up transition. I was surprised by how much tire pressure was lost overnight. Transition closed at 6:15. My wave start was 7:01. Nerves were building but so was my confidence. I knew (with God's help) I could do this. We had to walk out the pier and climb down a ladder to get in the water. It was a waste start but we didn't have to tread water since it was only chest deep. I swam a little when we got in the water before or wave started just to get warmed up. From the time the whistle blew I was ready. 1.2 miles looked long when spread out into one large triangle. I took my first few strokes and knew this was going to be Ok. By the time we reached the furthest point the wind picked up and the water gained movement. Salt water is great for floating but tastes horrible! I thought for sure I would be dehydrated by the time the swim was over. I had some problems swimming straight on the lady leg of the triangle but it felt good every time I took a breath I would see other simmers. I knew I wasn't in the big pack of my wave group but I wasn't last! When I got out of the water I was super excited! The past I feared the most went well. I was all smiles. This was going to be a great day. The bike course was wonderful (except the roads were in bad condition). The scenery was breathtaking. The sun had come out and it was a beautiful day for a ride. It was sometimes hard to stay focused on this being a race. Riding through the Kennedy space center and around the shuttle launch pads was AWESOME! The ride back to transition was a crazy headwind. I dropped to a lower gear and stayed aero as much as I could. The bumpy roads made for an uncomfortable ride. I saw an alligator, a turtle, two cranes and some Turkey volchers. The last part of the bike was back over the bridge. This was tough going into the headwind but I did it and was super excited that I knew this was my day. Now for the running. This is the part that I think should always be easiest because it's what I have been doing the longest. It was not. I can only guess it was the heat. Many people walking. It was a double loop and I had no idea how many were on their first or second loop. That made it a little tough. I felt like I was the only one with another loop to go. At the 3.5 mile turn around I wonderful how I would ever do this loop again. It was hot. I was grabbing I've at each aid station and eating it until I got to the next aid station to pick up another cup. I started adding walking. I would pick out landmarks and run to it and then pick another to walk to it. Finished my first loop and I heardsomeone say there was still one bike out. My heart sank for that person. They were going to have a very tough run and the would not be many people out there. Even the great spectators that were out for my first loop, we're gone for my second. I did manage to finish running. I never completely switched to walling which I saw many do. I think sometimes I give myself permission to walk because I see a lot of other people walking. My legs didn't hurt. I didn't start to feel something in my right knee but only a couple times and then it was gone. I was happy to see that I was going to finish under 7.5 hours. My plan was to finish around 8 hours. All in all it was a great race. I am significantly sun burnt and have chafing from my wetsuit that is very sore. However, the joy and sense of accomplishment for having finished my first half iron race makes it all worth it!

great job on that race and way to overcome the OWS! This is a race I thought about doing, now i wished I had! Awesome work!!!

2013-05-06 4:55 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

WOO-HOO!!!!!

Great job, yo! And great recap!

Now...when's the Ironman?

hahaha.....

No, but really, when is it?

2013-05-06 5:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Oh. My gosh!! My adrenaline is pumpin' just reading that race report!!! So exciting! All that sweat, time, and devotion to s/b/r has paid off in the best way!! Congrats & an hi-five to you!!!!! :D
2013-05-06 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4730126

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
bradleyd3 - 2013-05-06 5:55 PMWOO-HOO!!!!!Great job, yo! And great recap!Now...when's the Ironman? hahaha.....No, but really, when is it?
Ironman is scheduled for September 9. Rev 3 Cedar point! I am sure I have completely lost my mind.

2013-05-07 3:36 PM

User image

New user
OKC

Congrats on the finish!  Sounds like it was pretty tough, but you powered through.  Good job.

I've finally kicked my butt into gear.  Started in on my official HIM training plan (up to this point it's mainly been running with some swim/bike tossed in to keep me from getting rusty).  Feels great to be out there and training.  Just hoping to keep the motivation going for longer than 4-5 weeks like has happened to me in years past.  We'll see. 

2013-05-07 5:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
In case this just ends up in the archives, thanks for the help and motivation, JFord thanks for letting me jump in late, I think I've learned a little bit more about Triathlon from everyone in here
2013-05-14 9:13 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
1st big race is Sunday!  Memphis in May Olympic! I am really excited to be racing!  the weather is going to be great!
2013-05-14 11:18 AM
in reply to: #4741532

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
jford2309 - 2013-05-14 9:13 AM

1st big race is Sunday!  Memphis in May Olympic! I am really excited to be racing!  the weather is going to be great!

You're going to rock it, bro.

Make it happen!

2013-05-14 11:47 AM
in reply to: #4741532

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia

jford2309 - 2013-05-14 9:13 AM 1st big race is Sunday!  Memphis in May Olympic! I am really excited to be racing!  the weather is going to be great!

You are going to kill it!!!  I'm still a month away from my first race of the season.  I'm itching to get to it will everyone's race reports.

2013-05-14 12:24 PM
in reply to: #4741935

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Yeeeehaaa!!  Goooo git em'!!!!  Dont forget a race report.  And dont forget the details.   
2013-05-14 3:13 PM

User image

New user

PODIUM Here you come!!!!

I also have my first ever actual outdoor Tri this weekend.  The Kansas 5150!!  Excited, Nervous, Scared, Pumped!!!!  The wife and boys are camping out with me.  No bad/weird dreams as of yet (fingers crossed).  Not sure if I am ready for the addiction rush at the finish line though.

Good luck everyone this season!!!!

2013-05-15 9:58 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

Good luck Noel and James.....rock the course. leave it all out there and know that you gave it 100%.

We are heading out tomorrow for Ironman Texas. It's going to be a busy next couple of days. I won't be posting in my blog or on BT until next week......

Wish me luck....and say some prayers!

Can't wait to hear about y'alls races.

2013-05-18 6:14 PM
in reply to: bradleyd3

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Originally posted by bradleyd3

Good luck Noel and James.....rock the course. leave it all out there and know that you gave it 100%.

We are heading out tomorrow for Ironman Texas. It's going to be a busy next couple of days. I won't be posting in my blog or on BT until next week......

Wish me luck....and say some prayers!

Can't wait to hear about y'alls races.

Go Brad - at time of writing you are just into the run. Go for it! Finish strong!
2013-05-20 7:50 AM
in reply to: stuart_little_9

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Congrats to Brad "Ironman" Donovan on his IM TX finish! Great job Buddy!

2013-05-20 7:48 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

New user
Race Review

The family and I started out the race weekend by camping out tent style! This was a first time experience for the wife and two boys. All was great, Beautiful weather on Friday and Saturday till about midnight Sunday Morning. WEATHER hit hard, strong winds, rain and tons of lightening (typical day in KS )

Race Day - Woke up at about 4:30 am to still pouring rain and hard winds. Ate a homemade powerbar and got cleaned up for the race. Headed down to the transition area about 5:30 to get set up. Unknown to me the wife had used the bags I had packed to cover my gear to keep it dry, so I covered it with a towel to no real avail, then headed back to the campsite to relax till about 7,

7:00 headed back to the transition/start to get ready and warm up, still raining, windy and lightening at this time. At that point the race director announced the first delay due to weather. Hung around the area and talked with a few people to get some pointers on racing or wet roads. Seems each person has a different theory on what works best, so I decided not to change anything on my gear and go as is.

At 7:30 the race director announced the second delay due to weather, at about this time some people started to pack their stuff up and call it good for the day.

7:45 - Race director announced that the race would be on but due to the storm still going on (lightening included) they would cancel the swim and to a time trial style start for the bike starting at 8.

8:00 - Everyone got lined up and they sent us by category one at a time every 3-5 seconds

Now to the race.................Sprint distance ( First ever outdoor race)

Started feeling great on the ride, HR was sitting about Z2/3 for the first 3-4 miles. That is when the hills started. I really have no hills around here to train on that simulate what was there. the first hill was the worst for me because there was no real chance to build up speed, after that I could build on the down side and make it back up about half way before the effort really started. We had about 4 rollers like that then one final long descent before our turn around point. This is where it SUCKED! From a virtual stop we had a 450 elevation gain hill. Not huge by some peoples standards but for me it was brutal. Looked down at my meter and at one point was doing only 4mph Ended up blowing up my legs on the climb and had to take it easier the rest of the way back. In all my average speed was only 17.5. However before the hill avg speed was closer to 21 mph.
Got to T2 and found my socks, and shoes soaking wet, so I grabbed a gel, rung out the socks and pulled on the shoes. At this point my legs were fried and ended up walking most of the hill just out of T2. the run course was very flat after that one hill. The sun had come out and the humidity was in full swing. Luckily for me out camp site was about 1/3 the way into the course so when I rounded the turn to my boys cheering me on it gave me back some needed energy. Got to the turn around spot and ended up walking and trying to stretch out my legs to keep from cramping. Drug myself through the final 1.5 miles to cross the finish line at a 12:21 min mile pace for the run. About 2:30 min/mi off where I wanted to be but I was ecstatic to finish. It was amazing to cross the finish line and have some of the pros that had finished the olympic distance there to cheer you on and congratulate you as you finished. Not to mention my family that took the muddy trail through the woods to get there before me.

All said and done, I can see why this is an addictive sport. Even being disappointed in my performance and being under prepared for the hills I am hooked. Now I just need to find a hill with a good climb to practice on. Also have to incorporate some speed work into biking and running, thinking about 1-2 mile sprints with 1/2 mile recovery for the bike. Running I will have to research some good run activities to build speed and endurance. 4 weeks till my next race! Gave myself today to recover and will be back at it tomorrow!
2013-05-21 9:21 AM
in reply to: Nadamson12

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by Nadamson12 Race Review The family and I started out the race weekend by camping out tent style! This was a first time experience for the wife and two boys. All was great, Beautiful weather on Friday and Saturday till about midnight Sunday Morning. WEATHER hit hard, strong winds, rain and tons of lightening (typical day in KS ) Race Day - Woke up at about 4:30 am to still pouring rain and hard winds. Ate a homemade powerbar and got cleaned up for the race. Headed down to the transition area about 5:30 to get set up. Unknown to me the wife had used the bags I had packed to cover my gear to keep it dry, so I covered it with a towel to no real avail, then headed back to the campsite to relax till about 7, 7:00 headed back to the transition/start to get ready and warm up, still raining, windy and lightening at this time. At that point the race director announced the first delay due to weather. Hung around the area and talked with a few people to get some pointers on racing or wet roads. Seems each person has a different theory on what works best, so I decided not to change anything on my gear and go as is. At 7:30 the race director announced the second delay due to weather, at about this time some people started to pack their stuff up and call it good for the day. 7:45 - Race director announced that the race would be on but due to the storm still going on (lightening included) they would cancel the swim and to a time trial style start for the bike starting at 8. 8:00 - Everyone got lined up and they sent us by category one at a time every 3-5 seconds Now to the race.................Sprint distance ( First ever outdoor race) Started feeling great on the ride, HR was sitting about Z2/3 for the first 3-4 miles. That is when the hills started. I really have no hills around here to train on that simulate what was there. the first hill was the worst for me because there was no real chance to build up speed, after that I could build on the down side and make it back up about half way before the effort really started. We had about 4 rollers like that then one final long descent before our turn around point. This is where it SUCKED! From a virtual stop we had a 450 elevation gain hill. Not huge by some peoples standards but for me it was brutal. Looked down at my meter and at one point was doing only 4mph Ended up blowing up my legs on the climb and had to take it easier the rest of the way back. In all my average speed was only 17.5. However before the hill avg speed was closer to 21 mph. Got to T2 and found my socks, and shoes soaking wet, so I grabbed a gel, rung out the socks and pulled on the shoes. At this point my legs were fried and ended up walking most of the hill just out of T2. the run course was very flat after that one hill. The sun had come out and the humidity was in full swing. Luckily for me out camp site was about 1/3 the way into the course so when I rounded the turn to my boys cheering me on it gave me back some needed energy. Got to the turn around spot and ended up walking and trying to stretch out my legs to keep from cramping. Drug myself through the final 1.5 miles to cross the finish line at a 12:21 min mile pace for the run. About 2:30 min/mi off where I wanted to be but I was ecstatic to finish. It was amazing to cross the finish line and have some of the pros that had finished the olympic distance there to cheer you on and congratulate you as you finished. Not to mention my family that took the muddy trail through the woods to get there before me. All said and done, I can see why this is an addictive sport. Even being disappointed in my performance and being under prepared for the hills I am hooked. Now I just need to find a hill with a good climb to practice on. Also have to incorporate some speed work into biking and running, thinking about 1-2 mile sprints with 1/2 mile recovery for the bike. Running I will have to research some good run activities to build speed and endurance. 4 weeks till my next race! Gave myself today to recover and will be back at it tomorrow!

Congrats on your race and having such a great attitude even after delays and wet conditions! I am excited to hear how you are so ready for your next race. I remember my first outdoor triathlon, I thought I was going to die!

2013-05-21 4:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
Way to tough it out! These races are so much a mental strength as they are physical. Being able to keep your mind in the race and focused after multiple delays and a cancelled swim is FANTASTIC and not easily done. Kudos to your family for braving the weather and the mud to support you. I know I couldn't do this without my family's support.

I haven't seen the Texas Ironman's race report. I have some people in my triathlon group that did it. I heard it was extremely brutal so a HUGE congratulations for a job well done!
2013-05-21 5:17 PM
in reply to: mkennedy0525

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
I just read Brad's race report on his blog! WOW! I cried as you finished. What an amazing story and what determination! Congratulation!

YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!!!!!
2013-06-03 12:46 PM
in reply to: mkennedy0525

User image

New user
How is everyone's racing and training going? I am gearing up/winding down for my second race of the season in about 13 days! Had to take about 4 days off though because of pain and over training. Dr. first thought it was Lyme's from the tick's I got at the last race and the joint pains, but thank goodness it wasn't that.

Hope everyone is still going hard!

2013-06-17 10:29 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
I know this forum/mentor group has gone pretty quiet. I just wanted to let everyone here know how grateful I am for everything everyone here has done. I just completed my first ever triathlon yesterday. It went well. I'm a little tough on myself, so in my eyes, I could have done a lot better. I missed my goal time by 2 1/2 minutes. There was a lot of time left on the table though. 1. Know exactly how the serpentine swim works in the pool. Once I figured it out, I ended up being out of sync and swallowed half the pool. Needed to do 150 m of breast stroke to calm the breathing down. (2 minutes lost). 2. Don't rely on volunteers and be more cognizant of the surroundings. The bike course was changed 3 times in the week leading up to the race due to flooding (It's in the flood plain of the Mississippi River). The added turnaround had NO volunteers just a mark painted on the road and cones and I ended up riding my bike to the flooded road. It added an additional 2 miles to the bike. (5-7 minutes lost including turning around and staring at the flooded road). 3. Speed laces. I could have actually spent my time changing my socks after the bike instead of tying my shoes. It was raining on the bike and SOAKED my socks. It would have been nice to not squish for the 5 mile run (1-2 minutes). I ended up middle of my age group and top 30% of the field. I still had a great time though!!

Again...thank you to everyone here for all the inspiration, help, answering of questions, and support. I wouldn't have been able to do what I did yesterday, even though I still think I could have done A LOT better , without you guys!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JFord Bradleyd3 2013 Spring Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 27