BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2013-03-02 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4553673

User image

Middle Tennessee
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Quick race report for the Fall Creek Thaw 15K. We slipped and slid for about 20 of the 76 miles of traveling to get to the race venue. We got about an inch of snow overnight but we had to cross a mountain to get to the race and they got about 2-3 inches of snow there. We thought the race started at 10 AM EST but it actually started at 11AM CST so we got there in PLENTY of time. My running club was putting on the race so we just did some volunteer work to pass the time. It was COLD, 27 degrees with a mean gusting wind blowing the snow around. The run encompasses some of the most beautiful parts of Fall Creek Falls State Park. The views were wonderful. I lost some time to stop and take photos! My only goal was to finish with sub 13 minute miles as this was my longest run since last October. I was also pacing and encouraging my running buddy, Matt. He started out strong and got about a quarter mile ahead, but started fading badly at about mile 5. I stayed with him until mile 7, then told him I'd come back and get him after finishing. I finished at 1:57:56 with a pace of :12:35/mile. I went back and got Matt after figuring out what was causing him to fade so badly. He took in no nutrition and only water for the whole run. So we had a down and dirty class on proper fueling. It was a FANTASTIC race. Very well organized and a great turn out for such bad weather. A great start to the season. After re-fueling with Mexican food and a beer (a once every six month drink for me!) I played fetch in the snow with our dogs and took a LONG hot shower. Now the couch is calling my name!  Happy Training Beasties!

2013-03-03 6:17 AM
in reply to: #4643706

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Great race, Shad!  In spite of cold and windy weather, you beat your goal pace by a LOT and helped out a friend and did some volunteer work too!!  Post some of those pics!!!
2013-03-03 10:33 AM

User image

Veteran

Good job holding your pace, Shad.

The master's practice went well.  One generally fit man maybe 50 years old.  One generally fit young woman around 25.  One overweight man approx 27 years old.  Me, 43 years old, obese.  The coach was not there but will be there on Wed night.  There will be 2 more Saturdays that he will probably miss due to age group swim team meets. 

We created our own workout and generally did the same things.  The first 2 people were faster than me over a 100 meter distance and did 7x100M on 2 minutes.  I did the same for 4 100s, but then changed the interval to 2:10 and ended up doing 6 with the last one Backstroke.  We did a few sprints and nobody was excessively speedy.  Then we did some 50s alternating kick and swim of strokes other than free.  I held my own just fine on these.  Finished up independently.

I'm looking forward to a coached workout, but did enjoy swimming with others again. 

BT training log does not really allow you to track some workouts as yards and others as meters.  Since this pool is meters, I have switched my default to meters.  It makes my previous swims look odd, but the current ones looks normal.

Edited by rustymom 2013-03-03 10:33 AM
2013-03-04 6:09 PM
in reply to: #4644225

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Sounds like a good group of swimmers, Andrea!  Once you set your pool stuff to meters, ALL workouts in BT will show up as meters too... when you look at MY log it will be in meters.  I can tell when someone else has there's set to meters because it will always show really weird yardage, ha ha!
2013-03-04 9:08 PM

atlanta
I hope everyone is doing well and getting those workouts in rain or shine. A sinus infection slowed me down but it is time to ramp it back up. I hope to sign up for a group swim class next week and finally set a race date for my first tri. Stay safe everyone and push on!
2013-03-05 7:24 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Been out.  Will try to catch up over next few days.  Schedule pretty messy over next two weeks.  Training has been suffering and will suffer some more.

2013-03-05 7:49 PM
in reply to: #4646807

Spring/Woodlands Area

Second this!

Rode today.  Felt fine.  Craziness in the schedule for the next month or so.

Keep up the good work everyone.

2013-03-06 6:09 AM
in reply to: #4647945

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Welcome to the fine art of fitting in training with your life!!  Although we hate to miss training, sometimes it is inevitable and sometimes we need a mental or physical break from it.  Go with the flow and do what you can, remember this is for FUN, it's a hobby!  The world won't end if you miss a run or a swim!  And sometimes it's just the ticket to let your body rejuvenate and come back to the next workout stronger!!
2013-03-07 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hey there!  First swim lesson tonightLaughing.  Not sure what to expect but I'm looking forward to it.  I want to be one of those people I swim with in the morning who look they could go all day long and never get tired or need to stop and take a breather.  I'm hoping she can give me some tips/drills to do to help.  Of course, swimming more than once a week or so would probably help tooEmbarassed

On a positive note - I'm getting more comfortable on my bike and am able to go for longer stretches without taking a break.  Did a full 30 minutes last night at a little higher cadence than normal for me.  I'm still slow, but I'm improving!

2013-03-08 4:55 AM
in reply to: #4650105

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Can't wait to hear how the swim lesson went, Janet!! 

I've definitely had an off week, but hope to be hitting it hard next week because I am on SPRING BREAK as of this afternoon!!!  And none too soon, the kids have had their brains on Spring Break since Monday... I swear they are ALL ADHD!!  No big plans for us, looks like hubby will be taking most of the week off too, and we have the 5 mile trail race on the 16th.  Hoping to get some rides in with friends, and some running trail time and at least 3 swims too, since the pool will be closed the week after for their Spring Break ( normally all the schools here have it the same week, don't know why it's different this year?). 

I have to give a shout out to Luke's Locker... I received a HANDWRITTEN card from them thanking me for my Adidas Energy Boost purchase and hoping I did well in my duathlon last weekend and my name was even spelled correctly!  Yeah, I'll go back!

2013-03-08 9:45 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Swim lesson went pretty well.  My kick needs work but my stroke is pretty good.  I also need to get to the pool more often (hard to build up endurance if you only swim once a weekSmile). 

I'm thinking about doing a 5k tomorrow morning.  I haven't done a regular 5k road race in almost a year - I've been doing 10k's and trail races mostly - so I'd like to see how I'd do.  It'll probably be just a small race but the weather is finally turning spring-like and it's for a good cause.  A local HS girl is dealing with bone cancer and the money is going to help pay for her medical expenses.  And there's an easter egg hunt for the little ones.  Should be a fun morning. 

2013-03-09 12:15 PM

User image

Veteran

I swam again with the masters group this morning.  It's going well.  I did get a minor foot cramp kicking fly with flippers on.  It probably didn't help that the flippers were a bit too big and I was bunching my toes to hold them steady and then on a strong upkick whammo...I felt my foot cramping up on one leg and my calf on the other.  Stopped and headed to the side and prevented a full on cramp.  It feels good to swim with others and I'm gladd that for about a month we'll change our Wednesday practice to 6:45-7:45 instead of 7:45-8:45!

2013-03-10 6:10 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Hi Everyone!!!!!

Sounds like folks are getting back into the swing of things after a tough February.  

Good luck to all those doing swim lessons/sessions with a coach/group.

Sounds like a very cold trail run Shad.

I think I can finally get back on track with things.  We were visiting friends in FL for a few days and then stuff @ work has been pretty frantic.  So my training and eating schedule was thrown completely out of wack.  Looks like work will still be a bit frantic but manageable.  But a trip to Houston this week was cancelled (I am relieved - didn't really want to go).  

I had a pretty good trail race today.  5.6 miles.  Pretty flat twisty, turny, some roots and rocks.  One or two good hills.  Did well.  2nd in age group!!!  Woohoo!!  Got a pint glass -- with which I had two beers this afternoon.

Have a great week everyone!

2013-03-11 8:07 AM
in reply to: #4654032

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Looks like a lot of us are checking out some trail running!!  Erin did a trail HM and got 2nd overall female (yes, we all hate her, we're lucky to get some AG bling and there she is winning the whole damned thing!).   I have just discovered trail running and only wish we had more of the reall kind of trails, not the big concrete sidewalk things they "call" trails around here. 

So Monday again, hope you all got up on time!!  I got to sleep in a bit because I am on Spring Break, woot!!!!  No big plans except trying to get in a solid week of training.. headed off for a swim in a bit, then hope to do a good bike this afternoon and hope the wind is not as bad as it's been.  Tomorrow hubby and I are travelling a couple of hours to go hiking at Enchanted Rock.  It's this GINORMOUS mountain of a rock that just comes out of the ground.  We've driven by it a few times, but have never hiked it, so I'm excited!!  Then we'll have a nice lunch out in a German tourist town near there....  I wish I could say I had big plans to do spring cleaning... ha ha!!  I DO need to do some cleaning, just don't know when I'll fit it in! 

Have a beastly week, everyone!!

2013-03-11 7:50 PM
in reply to: #4654557

Spring/Woodlands Area

Hooray for spring break!  I'm trying to figure out what to do with my training.  First order of business is getting new shoes.  I'm feeling good other than some foot irritation and a stupid schedule.  Really stupid schedule.

Glad to see most are keeping good progress.  Keep up the good work.

2013-03-11 8:54 PM

User image

Expert
Hurray for spring break! Enjoy it to the fullest! I, too, wish we had decent trails to run on around here, but will take the prospect of being able to run outside tomorrow rather than in rather tight circles inside-- the view of the gym does tend to pall after a while... Am back from very busy but MOST excellent week in NYC, and it's been busy here ever since as I cross things off my to-do list before heading back to the East coast later this month. High ho the glamorous life, I guess. Enjoy your training weeks, everyone!

2013-03-12 7:12 AM
in reply to: #4655857

User image

Expert
Falls Church
apglave - 2013-03-11 7:50 PM

Hooray for spring break!  I'm trying to figure out what to do with my training.  First order of business is getting new shoes.  I'm feeling good other than some foot irritation and a stupid schedule.  Really stupid schedule.

Glad to see most are keeping good progress.  Keep up the good work.

x2 on really stupid schedule.  Actually for me it is really, really, really stupid stuff @ work due to complete and utter ineffectiveness of our elected officials at the federal level.  

2013-03-13 5:25 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Good morning beasties! It's mid-week. I have a HM this weekend so not much training other than my bike commute. Should be an interesting race since I really haven't run much of for the past three weeks. At least my legs will be well rested! Ha.
2013-03-13 7:14 AM
in reply to: #4657674

Spring/Woodlands Area

That's the spirit!  Rested legs are great.

I got a ride in yesterday and finally got new shoes.  We'll see how it goes.  Unfortunately no end in sight for stupid schedule. 

Happy mid-week everyone!

2013-03-13 7:23 PM

User image

Expert
X2 on rested legs! Better rested than over-trained, right? Finally had a gorgeous sunny day here, so made the most of my walking time outside as I went to a matinee theatre production downtown...will be back in the grey gloom of the gym tomorrow.
2013-03-15 5:27 AM

User image

Middle Tennessee
Good morning Beasties! I'm off to swim practice this morning. Got in a good 5 mile tempo run yesterday and am looking forward to the first long outside road bike ride of the year tomorrow morning! I'm shooting for 40 miles of pasty white leg stretching nirvana! Good luck to everyone competing this weekend and happy training to the rest of us Beasties !

2013-03-16 4:01 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Up early killing some time before I head out the door. Race starts at 7:30 but have to catch the Metro to head downtown. Want to get there plenty early to stand in the porta potty multiple times. Hoping that the rain does not start until after I've picked up my drop bag and put my raincoat on!
2013-03-17 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4660609

Spring/Woodlands Area

Riding outside is great isn't it?

This week actually went well (though my logs didn't show it until I finally updated today).  No foot pain since getting new shoes, getting workouts done, and feeling good overall.  Hoping for more of the same this week.  Minimalist training it is. 

2013-03-17 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4663047

User image

Expert
Falls Church
apglave - 2013-03-17 9:48 AM

Riding outside is great isn't it?

This week actually went well (though my logs didn't show it until I finally updated today).  No foot pain since getting new shoes, getting workouts done, and feeling good overall.  Hoping for more of the same this week.  Minimalist training it is. 

Good!  Hope the new shoes work.  What kind are they?

2013-03-17 12:12 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Yo Beasties!!

I am recovering from my HM yesterday.  A bit sore and tired.  I had good race, not great but good.

Here is my race report. 

I'm now focused on one of my "A" races for the season.  It's in late May.  So I have about eight weeks to get ramped up and ready!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 17