BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2013-03-18 1:03 PM
in reply to: #4663151

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Congrats on the HM, Melanie! Enjoy your rest day today-- you've earned it!

2013-03-19 12:07 AM
in reply to: #4663151

atlanta
hoffsquared - 2013-03-17 1:12 PM

Yo Beasties!!

I am recovering from my HM yesterday.  A bit sore and tired.  I had good race, not great but good.

Here is my race report. 

I'm now focused on one of my "A" races for the season.  It's in late May.  So I have about eight weeks to get ramped up and ready!

Congrats on the race, I am jealous. I took a nasty spill during my soccer game this weekend and feel like I was in a car accident. I may have to skip my much needed Tuesday morning swim. Keep working hard beasties!
2013-03-19 5:02 PM
in reply to: #4665501

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

This is my posting from my blog today.... I know some of you don't get over there, so here it is...

Well.... so I found out yesterday that I have a melanoma.  I had a funny mole that was growing and I had my dermatologist look at it before Spring break and she agreed she should remove it.  It was sent in for a biopsy, but then she took off a week for her Spring Break, so I had actually kind of forgotten about it... till in the middle of my mid-afternoon class, the secretary at school called me and said the dermatology office had called and I needed to call them back.  Checked my phone, sure enough, it showed 2 calls and a voice mail.  I pretty much knew something was up, who calls that many times for something benign??  Played some phone tag after that and finally got a call back around 4, from the doctor herself... yeah, I knew.  So far the prognosis is good, but I need to see my PCM tomorrow (thankfully I already had an appt scheduled), to get a referral to some kind of surgeon.  She did not get it all, and they still have to excise a pretty big chunk.  Here's the kicker, it's on the side of my knee, like where your ITB would hurt?  Looking at having a 3 inch or so scar and if the skin won't stretch enough to stitch, they  may have to do a skin graft.  WTF?  Oh yeah, and it needs to be done in the next 2 weeks.  They will probably also do a sentinel node biopsy, where they take out the first lymph node that any cancer cells would travel to, just to make sure it isn't metastasizing.  Yeah, so this pretty much sucks for my race schedule.  She told me best case scenario, just stitches and I'd probably be back training 2 weeks after surgery, worst case, a skin graft that won't take, could be 6-8 weeks.  She has recommended a plastic surgeon, but whether or not the Army will go for that instead of some stupid general surgeon they have on staff, who knows.  You can be sure I will be letting them know that I am an athlete, don't mess with my knee!!!!   I drove to my hubby's work as soon as I found out yesterday to tell him, told my son at lunch today, and am telling my daughter in about a half hour.  CANCER SUCKS... ironically, in July I would have been 10 freakin' years cancer free!  Hopefully, this is a minor setback, and all will be over and done with just the surgery.  I will of course, keep you all posted on how things are going, and don't worry, I haven't gone all soft on y'all, YOU best be training and you can bet I will be as long as I can!

2013-03-19 5:20 PM
in reply to: #4666713

User image

Expert
Hildebeast - 2013-03-19 5:02 PM

This is my posting from my blog today.... I know some of you don't get over there, so here it is...

Well.... so I found out yesterday that I have a melanoma.  I had a funny mole that was growing and I had my dermatologist look at it before Spring break and she agreed she should remove it.  It was sent in for a biopsy, but then she took off a week for her Spring Break, so I had actually kind of forgotten about it... till in the middle of my mid-afternoon class, the secretary at school called me and said the dermatology office had called and I needed to call them back.  Checked my phone, sure enough, it showed 2 calls and a voice mail.  I pretty much knew something was up, who calls that many times for something benign??  Played some phone tag after that and finally got a call back around 4, from the doctor herself... yeah, I knew.  So far the prognosis is good, but I need to see my PCM tomorrow (thankfully I already had an appt scheduled), to get a referral to some kind of surgeon.  She did not get it all, and they still have to excise a pretty big chunk.  Here's the kicker, it's on the side of my knee, like where your ITB would hurt?  Looking at having a 3 inch or so scar and if the skin won't stretch enough to stitch, they  may have to do a skin graft.  WTF?  Oh yeah, and it needs to be done in the next 2 weeks.  They will probably also do a sentinel node biopsy, where they take out the first lymph node that any cancer cells would travel to, just to make sure it isn't metastasizing.  Yeah, so this pretty much sucks for my race schedule.  She told me best case scenario, just stitches and I'd probably be back training 2 weeks after surgery, worst case, a skin graft that won't take, could be 6-8 weeks.  She has recommended a plastic surgeon, but whether or not the Army will go for that instead of some stupid general surgeon they have on staff, who knows.  You can be sure I will be letting them know that I am an athlete, don't mess with my knee!!!!   I drove to my hubby's work as soon as I found out yesterday to tell him, told my son at lunch today, and am telling my daughter in about a half hour.  CANCER SUCKS... ironically, in July I would have been 10 freakin' years cancer free!  Hopefully, this is a minor setback, and all will be over and done with just the surgery.  I will of course, keep you all posted on how things are going, and don't worry, I haven't gone all soft on y'all, YOU best be training and you can bet I will be as long as I can!

Just replied on your blog, but it bears repeating: CANCER SUCKS!! Will definitely be thinking of you as I train up here and on the East coast...ANYTHING I can do, you let me know, OK? Huge hugs and lots of love to our awesome leader and mentor!!
2013-03-19 9:04 PM
in reply to: #4553673

User image

Expert
Okeydokey, gang... I'm thinking of putting together a fundraising team for Stand Up To Cancer as a way of doing something useful with my training and racing this year. You can check out their website at standup2cancer.org-- I like the fact that they support collaborative and innovative approaches, and 100% of public funds go towards research. (Plus, it helps that they do an annual telethon, so people might have heard of them!) I can do this solo, of course, but would be more than happy to have others join the fighting fun-- a Beasts Beating Cancer effort, so to speak. Anyone in? If so, let me know and I'll do a little more research to see what we can come up with! (Side note: my Mum and Dad have each beaten cancer twice, and I have way too many friends who've dealt with it...so yeah, my desire to kick cancer's a$$ is definitely personal. )
2013-03-20 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4666964

User image

Expert
Missouri

wrkinprogress - 2013-03-19 9:04 PM Okeydokey, gang... I'm thinking of putting together a fundraising team for Stand Up To Cancer as a way of doing something useful with my training and racing this year. You can check out their website at standup2cancer.org-- I like the fact that they support collaborative and innovative approaches, and 100% of public funds go towards research. (Plus, it helps that they do an annual telethon, so people might have heard of them!) I can do this solo, of course, but would be more than happy to have others join the fighting fun-- a Beasts Beating Cancer effort, so to speak. Anyone in? If so, let me know and I'll do a little more research to see what we can come up with! (Side note: my Mum and Dad have each beaten cancer twice, and I have way too many friends who've dealt with it...so yeah, my desire to kick cancer's a$$ is definitely personal. )

I've lost an aunt, an uncle, two cousins, friends and just last week, my FIL all to cancer so I'm with you on kicking cancer's butt.  I'm already doing fundraising for the American Diabetes Association so I don't know how much I'd be able to contribute but let me know if you get a team together and I'll see what I can do. 

2013-03-20 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4667309

User image

Expert
Falls Church
soccermom15 - 2013-03-20 8:44 AM

wrkinprogress - 2013-03-19 9:04 PM Okeydokey, gang... I'm thinking of putting together a fundraising team for Stand Up To Cancer as a way of doing something useful with my training and racing this year. You can check out their website at standup2cancer.org-- I like the fact that they support collaborative and innovative approaches, and 100% of public funds go towards research. (Plus, it helps that they do an annual telethon, so people might have heard of them!) I can do this solo, of course, but would be more than happy to have others join the fighting fun-- a Beasts Beating Cancer effort, so to speak. Anyone in? If so, let me know and I'll do a little more research to see what we can come up with! (Side note: my Mum and Dad have each beaten cancer twice, and I have way too many friends who've dealt with it...so yeah, my desire to kick cancer's a$$ is definitely personal. )

I've lost an aunt, an uncle, two cousins, friends and just last week, my FIL all to cancer so I'm with you on kicking cancer's butt.  I'm already doing fundraising for the American Diabetes Association so I don't know how much I'd be able to contribute but let me know if you get a team together and I'll see what I can do. 

x2.  I'm interested.

2013-03-20 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Hildebeast - 2013-03-19 5:02 PM

My husband had a malignant melanoma taken from his back just this February.  Two surgeries since they didn't get it all the first time.  No sentinel node biopsy needed.  But he does have about a 5 inch scar now.  The worst thing was that the dermatologist didn't catch this during a routine visit --- Jim had to mention an area that was sort of bothering him.  We have switched dermatologists and feel much better with the 2nd.  She even spent quite a bit of time going over his scalp -- where melanomas can go unnoticed for quite some time.

Hope all goes well.  

2013-03-20 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

I took a tumble on my bike during this mornings commute.  Somehow my foot got between my tire and my frame.  I just wasn't paying attention at a stop and had my wheel turned quite a bit.  So I go to start, stand up, and then 'splat' there I am in the middle of the road.

Will have a very nice bruise on one inner thigh.  Luckily still wearing tights for the cold so no road rash.

2013-03-20 10:49 AM
in reply to: #4667409

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Thanks Melanie for telling about your hubby's experience... hoping one surgery is all that's needed too!  Sorry about the bike spill, inner thigh?? OUCH!!!!
2013-03-20 3:35 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks, Janet and Melanie-- will hop onto the website now, see what's involved, and report back. One thing I do know is that they have SU2C tri gear in the shop, so outfits would be easy to come by! Anyone else wanna join in, just let me know! In the meantime, Melanie, I hope the bruise clears up quickly-- nothing like getting the first spill of the season out of the way early, is there?

2013-03-21 6:46 AM

User image

Middle Tennessee

Hilde, you will kick this melanoma's a$$. There is no other option. We are behind you 100%!

Edited by shadow67 2013-03-21 6:47 AM
2013-03-21 7:13 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Yo Beasties!

Nearing the end of the week.  Finally!

I have a planned run today.  

Hope everyone doing well.

2013-03-21 8:43 AM
in reply to: #4668507

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
So I'm supposed to be getting a call sometime today about my surgery referral, which I HOPE went in as a SURGERY referral, because the guy I had to work with yesterday was an idiot!  Also have to meet with my PCM, so worst case is it will go in today and I will get a call tomorrow.  I don't like being a Biotch, but you gotta do what you gotta do, especially when it's your LIFE they are messing with!  And yes, I totally plan to kick this melanoma in the ARSE in my own BEASTLY style!
2013-03-21 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Morning, Beasties! Janet and Melanie (and anyone else who's interested): so far it looks like setting up a team is easy: we can choose a team name, make the team "private" so it's just us/friends/family, and set both a fundraising goal and a target date. I'm guessing they'll have a website for donations-- the team creation page has no FAQ, so I'll email them and ask about such details...will pass said details on when I get them...stay tuned!
2013-03-22 6:27 AM

User image

Veteran

Hilde, as you know, I've been active in your blog.  I know that you are a fighter and will advocate for yourself.  I also know how exhausting all of that can be.  I hope that you get the best possible care and can put this behind you very soon.

2013-03-22 7:18 AM
in reply to: #4669969

User image

Nothern VA
Count me in for the SU2C team, please. I don't have a large social circle for fund raising, but I can give it a try.
2013-03-22 8:32 AM

User image

Middle Tennessee
I'm already committed to the Jack and Back MS 150 bike ride in October and the Alzheimer's Challenge for our local chapter in November. I don't know how effective I can be to fundraising but I can for sure raise awareness by wearing some SU2C apparel at tris and other events. Please let me know what is available! Rock on Beasties!
2013-03-24 8:59 PM

User image

Expert
Hi beasties! I emailed SU2C last week, but so far no reply, sigh. So will probably set up the group and let you all know the details, then I can add you to the "private" group manually to track fundraising etc. Dana, I'm with you on not having a huge base from which to draw funds, but it's worth a try, I figure! And since 100% of people's donations get spent on research, I figure wearing their tri gear is a great way to make a donation and show support, as well as getting the word out! Will pass on details as soon as I can-- am trying to cross things off my to-do list before driving to the east coast on Wednesday...amazing the number of things that need doing when you're gonna be away for at least 6 weeks... In the meantime, rock on, you fabulous Beasts!
2013-03-27 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Yo Beasts!

How is everyone?  I am so glad it's Wednesday.  I am ready for warm weather here in VA.  Been a bit chilly for my taste.

2013-03-27 3:36 PM
in reply to: #4676721

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Just got home from my visit to the surgeon... very positive!  My surgery is scheduled for next Thursday, April 4.  He will do the excision of the biopsy area and take out the sentinel lymph node which was my choice.  He said he would have chosen to take it out too, so I feel good about my decision.  I'll have to go in the day before, they will shoot the biopsy area with some kind radioactive stuff that will light up the possible affected lymph node(s) and they will mark them so there will be no digging around looking for them!  Looking at at least 2 weeks downtime, and he said most people take off work for 5 days after!  I don't have that many sick days left!  So hopefully by the Monday after, I'll be good to go back to school even if I have to take it easy...  I should get biopsy results back in 3-5 business days after the surgery, so if the lymphs are clear, I should be good to go!  It should just be a 3" scar or so, very small possibility of having a small skin graft if it seems like the skin is too tight to come together... My doc is the head of cancer surgery dept. and he will be doing my surgery personally, no residents or newbies practicing on me!

2013-03-28 8:37 PM
in reply to: #4676996

User image

Middle Tennessee

Hildebeast - 2013-03-27 3:36 PM Just got home from my visit to the surgeon... very positive!  My surgery is scheduled for next Thursday, April 4.  He will do the excision of the biopsy area and take out the sentinel lymph node which was my choice.  He said he would have chosen to take it out too, so I feel good about my decision.  I'll have to go in the day before, they will shoot the biopsy area with some kind radioactive stuff that will light up the possible affected lymph node(s) and they will mark them so there will be no digging around looking for them!  Looking at at least 2 weeks downtime, and he said most people take off work for 5 days after!  I don't have that many sick days left!  So hopefully by the Monday after, I'll be good to go back to school even if I have to take it easy...  I should get biopsy results back in 3-5 business days after the surgery, so if the lymphs are clear, I should be good to go!  It should just be a 3" scar or so, very small possibility of having a small skin graft if it seems like the skin is too tight to come together... My doc is the head of cancer surgery dept. and he will be doing my surgery personally, no residents or newbies practicing on me!

THAT is great news! Get that sucker excised, heal, and get all kinds of Beastly for the rest of your life! We will light a candle for you here the day of your surgery and send all kinds of good mojo your way!

2013-03-28 8:48 PM

User image

Middle Tennessee

Hi Beastie Gang!

I wanted to offer up a wetsuit I have for sale to the group before I post it in the classified section. It's a BlueSeventy Reaction Ironman full suit. Men's size medium. I am a 5'9" female and it fit me perfect when I weighed 185 lbs. It should fit a guy of the same weight,maybe up to 6' or a woman from 5'7" to 6' and up to about 190, depending on body proportions. I'll take $100 for it. If interested, hit me up and I'll try to upload a pic of it. It's about a 2008 model, I think. Thanks!

2013-03-29 6:42 AM
in reply to: #4678686

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Wait... Shad, you're a GIRL??? All this time I thought you were a guy???? How did that happen? I guess I just assumed that Shad was a guy's name? OMG, now I have to reset my whole mental picture!!!!! Too funny!
2013-03-29 7:49 AM
in reply to: #4676996

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Hildebeast - 2013-03-27 3:36 PM Just got home from my visit to the surgeon... very positive!  My surgery is scheduled for next Thursday, April 4.  He will do the excision of the biopsy area and take out the sentinel lymph node which was my choice.  He said he would have chosen to take it out too, so I feel good about my decision.  I'll have to go in the day before, they will shoot the biopsy area with some kind radioactive stuff that will light up the possible affected lymph node(s) and they will mark them so there will be no digging around looking for them!  Looking at at least 2 weeks downtime, and he said most people take off work for 5 days after!  I don't have that many sick days left!  So hopefully by the Monday after, I'll be good to go back to school even if I have to take it easy...  I should get biopsy results back in 3-5 business days after the surgery, so if the lymphs are clear, I should be good to go!  It should just be a 3" scar or so, very small possibility of having a small skin graft if it seems like the skin is too tight to come together... My doc is the head of cancer surgery dept. and he will be doing my surgery personally, no residents or newbies practicing on me!

This is a good start to recovery already!  Enjoy the weekend.  Maybe get in a really killer workout or two?  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 17