Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2013-06-03 1:48 PM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN

Originally posted by [email protected] RACE REPORT Naples Fitness Challenge - 1:00:24 Yeah I missed an hour by 24 silly seconds all good though great race for me 5K Run - 21:54 (7:03 pace) - this was shocking because I have not run at all b/c of PF so I am extremely happy 15K Bike - 26:30 (21.1 pace) - pretty much what I expected 1/4 mile Swim - 8:20 (1:53/hundred pace) - was slower than expected but it was last event T1 - 1:19 (i could not get my shoe off b/c of knot, next year speed laces T2 - 2:23 (long run to beach) Check out my race results for all the details. Was great day and race, now I get a massage!!!!!

Great job Rob.  Hope the feet still feel OK after that smokin run!

2013-06-03 2:31 PM
in reply to: gdale

Master
Charlotte, NC
Hey all. I haven't been able to log on for some reason until today. Anyway, I had Raleigh 70.3 yesterday. Parts of it went really well and other parts not so much. I am sore, sunburned, and relieved it is over for now. I have nothing on the calendar right now and am kind of happy to not have that pressure for the summer.
2013-06-03 5:25 PM
in reply to: tricrazy

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Nice job Rob!!

Rachel: glad to see you are still with us and look forward to hearing more about what went right and what went wrong in your HIM.

Welcome Nicky!!

2013-06-03 11:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Noosa

Great Race Rob! You're FAST!

Well done Rachel, one of our local triathletes won Raleigh 70.3 I think, Greg Bennett?? He rides with the local bunch when he's up in Noosa. That's why I don't ride with them, half of them are either current or ex-pro's...

Not much happening with me, did a couple of short runs, usual aches and pains.... Hoping to start some indoor cycle training today after work.

Edited by copa2251 2013-06-03 11:09 PM
2013-06-04 12:16 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

New user
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Originally posted by JillB

Originally posted by JillB I think my month totals are too low to post. I just have not been making the time to get out there. School is out on Wednesday, so I'm out of excuses. I'm going to get in a better routine this summer! As far as tips for getting faster... I'd love to hear them! I've never done any speedwork, though I desperately need to. My husband makes fun of me because I have one speed for everything. My short runs are the same pace as my long ones. I did notice my times drop dramatically after I started to train for a marathon, though. I think running the longer miles helps me on the shorter distances.

I am not sure how new you are to endurance sports, but if you trained for a marathon I am guessing you have the most experience running?  Your logs would suggest you have a decent run speed!  Depending on how long you've been running you could consider adding some Tempo runs to your plan by the end of the Summer.  My first advice here would be consistency now that school is over.

My best advice is if you are newer to cycling you go out and ride with no real thought of speed other than keeping it steady in an aerobic zone.  As you know from marathon training, time can do wonders for pace.  If you don't have a base, your muscles, tendons and joints are not ready for the vigors of speed work IMO.  Best to ride a variety of terrains to build power and pedaling efficiency if they are available to you where you live.

I really appreciate the advice! I need all I can get. I've been running for 5 or 6 years. I had a really good base going until February, but I haven't been very consistent since then. I'm hoping that I can get my base back fairly quickly this summer, though. I will definitely add the tempo runs then... As far as the other disciplines??? I'm brand new! Chet had gotten me a hybrid a few years ago (that I never used,) so that's what I started using a few months ago to get started on the bike. I got pretty comfortable on that, although it was hard to keep up with my friends on the hills. For Mother's Day, he got me a road bike. I love it, but it felt totally different and took a few rides to start getting used to. I still feel like I'm hanging on for dear life (especially if there's any type of wind!,) but I'm getting better. I know I'm not ready for any type of speed work there yet. I spend my time concentrating on not falling. I can't even address the swimming yet... I started swim lessons, but I have a long way to go...

I think your running will come back quickly so let's talk about the bike.  Are you clipped in when you ride?  Although a bit scary at first it does make a difference for your pedal stroke and will improve performance.  I agree that at this point you just need to get out and ride and build some confidence.  It took me quite some time to get comfortable using my clip on aerobars, but once I did it too made a big difference in performance too.  Think above varying terrains and extending your distances on at least a couple of rides each week.  It'll come!

For obvious reasons, I think I will leave the swimming advice to Julia or Kyla.Laughing

Congrats, Rob!

I do not have clip-ins yet. It terrifies me. I know it's a necessary evil that I will eventually cave to, but I'm not ready yet. The trail that we ride on has a section called the Three Sisters (to quote my husband... three short, steep sole-sucking ... Can I say that on BT?) that I hope to conquer by the end of the summer. I've made it up (almost) 2 of them, but I have a feeling the clip-ins are my key to the third one.
2013-06-04 6:21 AM
in reply to: bfwhitt

User image

Veteran
Naples
Welcome Nicky and congratulations Rob

Run: 15h 26m 46s - 87.51
Strength: 2h 30m

Thanks, appreciate the congrads,

2013-06-04 6:22 AM
in reply to: kt65

User image

Veteran
Naples
Great racing, Rob! Enjoy the massage, you earned it big time!

thx, massage was great!
2013-06-04 6:24 AM
in reply to: gdale

User image

Veteran
Naples
Hope the feet still feel OK after that smokin run!

Thanks, I was shocked by my run time too. Foot is hurting I'll stay of it for a while biking and swimming for rest of month. thanks again
2013-06-04 6:25 AM
in reply to: tricrazy

User image

Veteran
Naples
Originally posted by tricrazy

Hey all. I haven't been able to log on for some reason until today. Anyway, I had Raleigh 70.3 yesterday. Parts of it went really well and other parts not so much. I am sore, sunburned, and relieved it is over for now. I have nothing on the calendar right now and am kind of happy to not have that pressure for the summer.

Way to go!!!!! Celebrate the good parts, enjoy the time off!
2013-06-04 6:26 AM
in reply to: dcon

User image

Veteran
Naples
Originally posted by dcon

Nice job Rob

Thanks Dan appreciate it.

2013-06-04 6:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Naples
Originally posted by copa2251

Great Race Rob! You're FAST!

Appreciate it! the sad part is that I placed 12th in my age group and the age group winner was 5 minutes ahead of me! those guys are smokin' Maybe someday I'll be able to catch them, some of them ran a 17 minute 5K I have not done that since high school

Edited by [email protected] 2013-06-04 6:36 AM

2013-06-04 6:32 AM
in reply to: JillB

User image

Veteran
Naples
[Congrats, Rob!

I do not have clip-ins yet. It terrifies me. I know it's a necessary evil that I will eventually cave to, but I'm not ready yet. The trail that we ride on has a section called the Three Sisters (to quote my husband... three short, steep sole-sucking ... Can I say that on BT?) that I hope to conquer by the end of the summer. I've made it up (almost) 2 of them, but I have a feeling the clip-ins are my key to the third one.

Thanks a bunch, keep riding hard you will get there. My GF just got a new TREK she is getting the hang of drinking while riding, it takes time, foot clips are out of the question for her right now. Clipping in takes a little getting use to but once you are doing it they become second nature.

Enjoy the ride
2013-06-04 6:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples
Sorry to take so much space up, you all must be sick of seeing my picture :0)

I have to figure out how to do multiply replys all at once. I really appreciate all the responses you all ROCK!

Have a great training day!
2013-06-05 8:12 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Things are heating up and Summer is almost here.  Who's going to represent this weekend and show 'em how it's done?

I'm wondering if you train alone or with friends?  What do you think are the benefits and drawbacks of each?

I'm at a rest stop somewhere in Ohio on my way to New Jersey for the summer.  No time for fancy formatting.  Peace Out.

2013-06-05 8:45 AM
in reply to: jfought

User image

Master
Originally posted by jfought

Things are heating up and Summer is almost here.  Who's going to represent this weekend and show 'em how it's done?

I'm wondering if you train alone or with friends?  What do you think are the benefits and drawbacks of each?

I'm at a rest stop somewhere in Ohio on my way to New Jersey for the summer.  No time for fancy formatting.  Peace Out.

No racing here!!

I do both... Benefits of friends is that this is supposed to be fun and they make it more so. They can push you. They can get you out the door when motivation wanes. I see few drawbacks, honestly! During IM training there were certain people I didn't like to ride with, as I felt like they always were stopping -- to check a map, to pee, to take off clothes, etc. -- and it messed with my schedule (I always had to get home to the kids, no time for lollygagging!). But otherwise friends are what it's all about.

2013-06-05 9:34 AM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Possibly running a 5k on Saturday...all depends on the baseball schedule.  My son might make it to the playoffs and we won't know for sure until tomorrow if he makes it or when the first game would be.

Mostly train alone because of timing and schedule.  I do alot of my swims and runs at lunch so that is solo.  On the weekends, I really like riding with others and do that whenever I can.  OWS practice is always with some other peeps.  Agree with Kyla that it keeps it fun.  It also helps me to push...since most people are faster than me!

2013-06-05 9:43 AM

User image

New user
I do both, train alone and with friends. Sometimes I like the alone part (swimming and running mostly) becasue there is no pressure to keep up, however...when I am with friends, it makes me push myself. I was trail running last week and struggling the whole way, mostly mentally, a friend showed up and my pace increased by a minute per mile and I felt really good and even ran longer than I needed to. When biking I always like to go with a group. One biker on the road is not as noticable as a group, plus I seem to procrastinate when on my own. I like having to be accountable. No races for me this weekend, just train, train, train...Thanks for all of the seat/short information. I am on about seat #5 so am trying little adjustments hoping to get it right.
2013-06-05 11:13 AM
in reply to: Nadscats

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
My preference is to ride with friends and run alone. As others have mentioned, riding with friends is fun, it helps the miles fly by and spending too much time inside my own head is never a good thing. The same could be said for running with friends, but I always feel pushed and can never seem to keep my HR where I want it. Unfortunately, I think a lot of it also comes down to how confident I feel with my run and bike right now; and not wanting to be the person holding someone else back.

2013-06-05 2:44 PM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

No racing here.

I am turning 30.

I agree ith what was said about training with others. I do think it has its privleges like keeping you motivated and pushing you further. It is hard to get up with different groups due to time and dont get to do but every other weekend.

2013-06-05 4:21 PM
in reply to: mbehr1983

User image

Elite
san francisco
No racing here, mostly I train alone, except when I run with my pooch. Which I consider not alone...because I am somewhat bound to her pace...

I like running alone (or with her)...not so sure I like cycling alone anymore, it's a long time to spend in this mind of mine! Linda, where are you?????

I liked Master's swimming as the time went by faster and I pushed myself a little harder..

I really like my group crossfit workouts, I push myself way harder and have improved a lot more than when I used to go the gym alone and time just flies right by.
2013-06-05 7:33 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by [email protected] Sorry to take so much space up, you all must be sick of seeing my picture :0) I have to figure out how to do multiply replys all at once. I really appreciate all the responses you all ROCK! Have a great training day!

Don't apologize for participating! This group is so much quieter than normal that we need someone to get the momentum back in business.

Congratulations on a great race!!  I find the whole reverse triathlon interesting.  Not sure I would want to wait for that swim to happen!

2013-06-05 7:39 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Maybe doing a sprint, but most likely not.  I had the chance to join a tri team a while ago and have never, ever gone to an outing.  After planning to do the Sprint, I find out they're doing this reverse run/bike brick workout on Saturday and a long OWS on Sunday.  I want to play.  Going to play it by ear, but don't look for a race report from me Wink

I train alone 100% of the time.  I like it that way for running and pool swimming, but am like Kim and wondering if a few rides with a friend with similar capabilities might not be fun.  I am like Kyla too though.  I loathe people who want to stop too many times.  I want to get on my bike, do the workout, get the benefit and get home!

2013-06-05 8:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
I also am in a tri-club. They do rides and swims all the time. My thing is I would like to go to them but they want to start at 6pm. I get off at 4 and can be 75 percent done with a workout by the time they start. They are super fast so I would not mind riding with them to get better
2013-06-05 8:17 PM
in reply to: mbehr1983

Master
Charlotte, NC
SO, now that my HIM is over I feel like I have no direction. I have no desire to register for anything right now but I know I train more consistently with a goal. I have thought about hiring a coach to just help my with my cycling and work on getting stronger there. What do you guys do when you have completed one goal without another on the horizon? Do you enjoy that freedom or do you feel a bit out of sorts?
2013-06-06 5:35 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa

Originally posted by [email protected] Sorry to take so much space up, you all must be sick of seeing my picture :0) I have to figure out how to do multiply replys all at once. I really appreciate all the responses you all ROCK! Have a great training day!

Don't apologize for participating! This group is so much quieter than normal that we need someone to get the momentum back in business.

Congratulations on a great race!!  I find the whole reverse triathlon interesting.  Not sure I would want to wait for that swim to happen!

I agree with Suzy, lets have more chatting on the MG and less on Facebook! It wasn't long ago that if you didn't check in daily you'd have 10 pages to catch up on.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44