Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-10-07 4:47 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club

Yeah that's one thing I like about JD.  Think you're faster than the paces you're training at?  Prove it in a race!

Put up or shut up! 

2013-10-07 4:52 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by msteiner

For tapering, I have a half marathon weekend that will dictate how the rest of my marathon training is paced.  Seeing that my body reacted so well to the recovery weeks in my plan, I'm trying that out as my taper for this week.  Basically it's similar to my regular training week, just with a lot easier pace (but still some fast stuff) and less volume.

I'll take Friday off though, since the race is Saturday.  

Are you talking about your recovery weeks in the 5-15K plan or a different plan?

When I took off the first 10 days after my leg thing, I was literally blown away by how good it felt to run again.  It really hit me that I had not been giving myself enough recovery to really reap the benefits of my training.  I am now going to put in biggish down time periods into my training--even more so than just a normal periodization curve, and see what happens. 

I think this could be one benefit to doing more regular racing; if you taper for those, you're building in forced down time periods quite often.  When I don't race, I don't give myself that same luxury.

2013-10-07 4:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by switch

So I'm having some additional reflection on how I've been "doing it wrong" for so many years.

pg 118

A few words of caution regarding how often to repeat identical workouts and monitor progress in a particular type of threshold workout: It's human nature that runners often want to see progress in their workouts and sometimes try to perform a particular workout at faster and faster speeds over the course of a fairly short period of times.  Trying to compete against yourself in this way in inadvisable.;  It doesn't conform to the principle of letting your body react and adjust to the particular type of stress before increasing the amount of stress.  It's better to perform the same workout quite a few times at the same speed, or until race performance indicates that you've reached a higher level.

Haha.  Oh, is that how I should be doing it?  Greeeeeeeeeat.

I just thought it might be important for someone else besides me to have this reiterated, maybe printed off, posted on the mirror in the bathroom, or something...

I think when I was younger I could really get away with it.  Now, getting back into training after kids, I'm realizing things are very different.  I'm going to have to really be patient.  So far I've sucked at that.

If I can get this leg thing under control, I'm going to start training for an early March marathon, looks like Phoenix.  I'm reeeeally trying to take it easy to get this thing licked.  If it's not looking better by the end of October, I'll probably need to full stop the running and put off my marathon attempt until next fall :/

I will be using JD's marathon "A" plan.   I guess I don't exactly understand what kind of weekly mileage I should be aiming for with that, but maybe I've just missed that detail?  I did also find it interesting that he said if you're up to 50mpw, you should start splitting your runs into two a days. pg 258, yep, doin it wrong again:/

Read Phase I.

I'd spend some time simply base building, very conservatively increasing mileage, and see where you end up when determining what kind of mileage you want to do. Only after a decent period of base mileage, can you determine how many MPW you can safely handle. 

As for the doubles, I believe that is debatable. Pfitz ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Pfitzinger) seems to disagree. I love doubles. They are a necessity due to my time constraints and the fact I run-commute. I do wonder how I am going to structure things when I am marathon training. 

As for your first point. I'm glad to see you pulling some of these things from this book. It's going to be so important to keep you injury free.

*Sorry, I had to edit the link I posted, as the original link was incorrect.

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-10-07 5:14 PM
2013-10-07 5:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

For tapering, I have a half marathon weekend that will dictate how the rest of my marathon training is paced.  Seeing that my body reacted so well to the recovery weeks in my plan, I'm trying that out as my taper for this week.  Basically it's similar to my regular training week, just with a lot easier pace (but still some fast stuff) and less volume.

Are you talking about your recovery weeks in the 5-15K plan or a different plan?

When I took off the first 10 days after my leg thing, I was literally blown away by how good it felt to run again.  It really hit me that I had not been giving myself enough recovery to really reap the benefits of my training.  I am now going to put in biggish down time periods into my training--even more so than just a normal periodization curve, and see what happens. 

I think this could be one benefit to doing more regular racing; if you taper for those, you're building in forced down time periods quite often.  When I don't race, I don't give myself that same luxury.

Different plan.  The marathon plan I'm on.  Next week would normally be my recovery week, but I moved it this week to taper for the half.  I'm thinking it will give me the happy medium between enough rest to be ready yet enough activity to keep me from losing form.

2013-10-07 5:59 PM

User image

Seattle

Different plan.  The marathon plan I'm on.  Next week would normally be my recovery week, but I moved it this week to taper for the half.  I'm thinking it will give me the happy medium between enough rest to be ready yet enough activity to keep me from losing form.

Do I have this right? You are tapering this week for a HM this weekend, recovering next week (per your marathon plan, since it's already a "recovery" or step-back type of week?)

If correct, how far out are you from your marathon? Have you experimented with how long you like to taper before a HM or is this just an educated guess?

2013-10-07 6:08 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

So I'm having some additional reflection on how I've been "doing it wrong" for so many years.

pg 118

A few words of caution regarding how often to repeat identical workouts and monitor progress in a particular type of threshold workout: It's human nature that runners often want to see progress in their workouts and sometimes try to perform a particular workout at faster and faster speeds over the course of a fairly short period of times.  Trying to compete against yourself in this way in inadvisable.;  It doesn't conform to the principle of letting your body react and adjust to the particular type of stress before increasing the amount of stress.  It's better to perform the same workout quite a few times at the same speed, or until race performance indicates that you've reached a higher level.

I just thought it might be important for someone else besides me to have this reiterated, maybe printed off, posted on the mirror in the bathroom, or something...

I think when I was younger I could really get away with it.  Now, getting back into training after kids, I'm realizing things are very different.  I'm going to have to really be patient.  So far I've sucked at that.

If I can get this leg thing under control, I'm going to start training for an early March marathon, looks like Phoenix.  I'm reeeeally trying to take it easy to get this thing licked.  If it's not looking better by the end of October, I'll probably need to full stop the running and put off my marathon attempt until next fall :/

I will be using JD's marathon "A" plan.   I guess I don't exactly understand what kind of weekly mileage I should be aiming for with that, but maybe I've just missed that detail?  I did also find it interesting that he said if you're up to 50mpw, you should start splitting your runs into two a days. pg 258, yep, doin it wrong again:/

I think I have had the mentality that if I wasn't doing a workout faster every time I did it I wasn't improving and I became my own worst enemy.  I also think that by following the pace charts and staying at those paces until like Matt says I've proved in a race I'm faster  than the charts is sound advice.  It comes down to trusting that the pace charts are correct for you given your VDOT and sticking with the plan.  Progress will come soon enough.

Are you tallking about the Phoenix race that starts up outside Mesa?  If so, that was on my list last year but logistics didn't work out.  Looked like a great, fast race course.  I love Arizona.  My folks live in Scottsdale during the winter and I try to get down there to visit and get some sun.

2013-10-07 6:25 PM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by popsracer

pg 118

I think I have had the mentality that if I wasn't doing a workout faster every time I did it I wasn't improving and I became my own worst enemy.  I also think that by following the pace charts and staying at those paces until like Matt says I've proved in a race I'm faster  than the charts is sound advice.  It comes down to trusting that the pace charts are correct for you given your VDOT and sticking with the plan.  Progress will come soon enough.

Are you tallking about the Phoenix race that starts up outside Mesa?  If so, that was on my list last year but logistics didn't work out.  Looked like a great, fast race course.  I love Arizona.  My folks live in Scottsdale during the winter and I try to get down there to visit and get some sun.

I am so different. In the beginning I trained snail slow (and still do a lot of the time, see my TT post haha) and then raced more quickly. I am only just this year adding quality and I can tell you, there would be no way in helll that I could improve my time, every single time. 

But, speaking of progress, I've now invested about 6 weeks of training specifically for running. Most of my training is geared towards XC so it's not as easy to quantify progress, but I really feel like I've made huge strides. We did XC mile repeats (so it was essentially a loop trail through the woods on rolling terrain) on Saturday morning. I did my last repeat @ 6:12. I don't think I've ever done a final mile repeat @ 6:12 and certainly not one in the woods.

*In other news our coach was on his bike pacing us and he hit the brakes and racked his balls. Yell

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-10-07 6:36 PM
2013-10-07 6:44 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I can't wait to see what your next road 5k time is going to be like.
2013-10-07 6:47 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by popsracer I can't wait to see what your next road 5k time is going to be like.

It's been forever since I have done one. I can hardly even count the track stuff I did this summer because of the strain I was feeling while tri training.

Major props to the triathletes for keeping up all of the sports. 

2013-10-07 6:55 PM

User image

Seattle

Yeah that's one thing I like about JD.  Think you're faster than the paces you're training at?  Prove it in a race!

Put up or shut up! 

I really like this.

Races are a dime a dozen anyhoo, earn that VDOT! Smile

2013-10-07 7:59 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Put up or shut up! 

I really like this.

Races are a dime a dozen anyhoo, earn that VDOT! Smile

I don't know if I love it or hate it.  I'm not a "Racer" by default, but I definitely feel the need to have earned whatever VDOT I'm training at.  The one I'm using now was from my last stand alone road race but that was way back in May.  I don't think it could be lower--frick, I hope not :/

2013-10-07 8:21 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by popsracer

pg 118

Ahh, yes, sticking with the plan.  You're given me faith, brotha.  20 minutes faster than plan?  I'll take it!

Yes, the marathon that starts by Mesa.  My parents winter in AZ too--Phoenix.  This is why this one's on the table :)

I am pretty severely impacted by the short winter dates.  This year we're spending a month in Australia over the holidays and a trip to AZ in early March, and I should be able to make it without my family kicking me out :

2013-10-07 9:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Do I have this right? You are tapering this week for a HM this weekend, recovering next week (per your marathon plan, since it's already a "recovery" or step-back type of week?)

If correct, how far out are you from your marathon? Have you experimented with how long you like to taper before a HM or is this just an educated guess?

Last time I had a recovery week like what I'm doing this week, I felt pretty ready to race. A week is the most I would normally taper for a HM.As far as my plan, what I'm doing is a little more risky. What I'm doing is swapping my rest and build week, so this week i'll recover up to the half, then I'll do the build week I would do this week. So what I have is 4 weeks of building before the next recovery week instead of 3. I'm still 2.5 months out from my full, so I think it will work.
2013-10-07 11:47 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I have a follow-up question that relates to Adrienne's taper question.  I'm racing a 5K Saturday that is my A+, want-to-crush-my-PR fall race.  I've been running 5x/week (logs are up to date) plus throwing in some easy cycling and some ST sessions.  I've doing 2 Q workouts per week (a tempo session and either an "I" or "R" session) plus a longish run as well, building to about 18 mpw last week.

Now that the background is out of the way, here's the question:  How do I taper for this?

My thought is easy run Monday, short tempo run Tuesday, a couple of short cruise intervals Wednesday, light jogging Thursday, and then take Friday off (though I might do a short cycling workout to get loose).  Maybe, I dunno...10 miles total?

I know "the hay is in the barn" as far as improvement is concerned, but I want to keep the legs sharp without overdoing it.

I will be curious to hear how the more experienced runners answer this.  I know there are different schools of thought on tapering...

It really seems l like tapering success is very individual.  What have you tried in the past, and what has worked the best?

Well, I really don't have a frame of reference on this one, because I've never (well, not since high school anyway) 1) focused on a race this short, or 2) tapered for a race this short, say, in the middle of training for something else.  For HMs and sprint tri's where you're talking 90 min to 2 hours of racing I usually back off the volume about 50%, and generally take two days off completely in the taper week, including the day before the race.  But for "just" a 5K...I'm not so sure the big drop in volume is needed.  I guess we'll find out.  Cool

I haven't done a multi-week taper for a running event that I can remember, but for the ones I do want to push more I almost turn into a bum the last few days in. So if I had a Saturday race, from this point on in I'd just be doing long warm-up type runs of 15-30 min each day, if I ran at all. Kind of go by feel on that part. Thurs or Fri would include a very short tempo level effort of like 3-5 minutes. Just enough to get going to remember the feel. Really haven't done any other kinds of workouts in that time frame. No S, no B, no lifting.

Have actually read in a few places that it's the shorter races where volume is reduced more. At least the ones you really want to key in on. The higher the expected effort level, the less chronic fatigue you want to have. That's the part that's built up over a longer time, more throughout the build (acute would be more like the last few days beforehand). Then for a longer race, it lasts longer so you'd keep up the fitness a little more and you don't need the higher output level. Now if you're just doing a 5k for a hard workout, then that would be easier to jump into than a 10k or HM and do likewise.

2013-10-08 12:16 AM

Master
Northern IL

pg 118

That's something I have to remember as well. And it's not just in running. With all these quality and e-pace runs we're trying to stress certain aspects of our fitness. When we have an accurate idea of where our fitness is, it will not increase so much in just a few weeks that doing the exact same pacing in a workout will all the sudden be for naught. Smile

Especially coming off an injury, I don't know about aiming for a particular weekly mileage as opposed to taking the time to let your body develop as it does. Especially since you're going to continue running (and other stuff) for long after whatever you decide on, build your body as it's able and when you get a handle on running a bunch again you can look at the bigger races more. I'm just not big on trying to push when you don't really know how you'll progress. The extra pressure can cause people to push too much too soon. The question from this would be is how much is enough. I'm not really sure, but everyone is different. I guess it's when they feel comfortable running all the time again.

Daniels doesn't really state particular mileage to shoot for as it's all over the place. Some will run a marathon on a peak of 50 mpw or less, some 80, others 100 or more. I don't really have a good answer either.

The 2-a-days is another debatable topic, like Adrienne said. It's not bad to consider some 2-a-days there, or earlier, depending on some things. Like where your fitness is at and what you want to get out of the runs.

2013-10-08 11:14 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Yo, Debbie Downer here, just a reminder to try and wrap up Part II/III and move on to Part IV tomorrow-ish.

2013-10-08 11:17 AM

User image

Seattle

Last time I had a recovery week like what I'm doing this week, I felt pretty ready to race. A week is the most I would normally taper for a HM.As far as my plan, what I'm doing is a little more risky. What I'm doing is swapping my rest and build week, so this week i'll recover up to the half, then I'll do the build week I would do this week. So what I have is 4 weeks of building before the next recovery week instead of 3. I'm still 2.5 months out from my full, so I think it will work.

Oh, I see. Gotcha!

So, you will be building post HM? No recovery?

2013-10-08 12:30 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Yo, Debbie Downer here, just a reminder to try and wrap up Part II/III and move on to Part IV tomorrow-ish.

Nag.

2013-10-08 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Now we get the "tell me what to do" part with the training plans.  Smile

2013-10-08 12:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Oh, I see. Gotcha!

So, you will be building post HM? No recovery?

If I run Sunday, it will probably be a recovery run at pace zone 2.  Monday is an active recovery day for build weeks (rest day on recovery weeks), so I'll just swim that day.  Then it's back to work.

2013-10-09 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

New question/thought for discussion.  I've noticed he doesn't discuss the need for recovery weeks as part of a plan, just in general in terms of a full-season approach.  As I look through the more detailed plans (5K to 15K specifically), there aren't any.

I dunno, it's just been beat into my head +10/+10/+10/-40, repeat, and his approach is nothing like that.

2013-10-09 3:32 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
LHOTP

New question/thought for discussion.  I've noticed he doesn't discuss the need for recovery weeks as part of a plan, just in general in terms of a full-season approach.  As I look through the more detailed plans (5K to 15K specifically), there aren't any.

I dunno, it's just been beat into my head +10/+10/+10/-40, repeat, and his approach is nothing like that.

Yeah, what's with that? Dale? Matt? Salty? Ben?

Whadayalldo with that?

2013-10-09 3:53 PM

User image

Seattle

Yeah, what's with that? Dale? Matt? Salty? Ben?

Whadayalldo with that?

I'll do my best at explaining my interpretation. But this isn't my strong suit.

First, in terms of recovery for a season, look in the season plan. He talks about taking time off etc.

Now, what I think you are talking specifically about is recovery within a training block. Is that correct?

If so, the way I view recovery within a training block is decreased mileage and sometimes the type of workout. You don't really ever FULLY recover until taper for your race.  Notice the column labeled "fraction of peak mileage?" It seems to cycle through, the way other traditional plans would and I believe the quality workouts complement this.

I could be wrong in my interpretation though.

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-10-09 3:56 PM
2013-10-09 4:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

My way of handling the 5-15k plan was a bit more loose.  Since I was training the bike and the swim at the same time.  I wasn't worried about being thorough with how I was going to build my mileage.  I just made sure I got the runs in, made the easy runs the same distance each week (about 3-4 miles depending if I was biking or not that day), and made my long runs slightly longer each week.

I didn't have recovery weeks during that offseason.  That's definitely one difference I'll have this time.

Edited by msteiner 2013-10-09 4:21 PM
2013-10-09 4:29 PM

User image

Seattle
I also think JD expects us to be aware of our own bodies and be a little flexible in the plan. If we need a little recovery, do so. I just don't think he wants to build a whole, generic plan around something that is so personal. 
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

3000 swim challenge... Nov 15-Dec 15

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 1885 Posts: 2

2012-11-17 12:46 AM simpsonbo

Winter Crummy Weather Challenge Week 6 Dec 9-15

Started by TriDDS
Views: 2192 Posts: 13

2008-01-21 7:40 PM MikeJ

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 15 (Feb 18-24)

Started by autumn
Views: 1726 Posts: 10

2007-02-27 9:28 AM pseudoyams

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 10 (jan 15-21)

Started by autumn
Views: 2319 Posts: 18

2007-01-22 2:23 PM AKtri

Strength Challenge - Week 15 Check-in

Started by Ron
Views: 1421 Posts: 3

2006-12-20 11:11 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : October 4, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running
date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.

date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.
date : March 13, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
comments : 0
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.