Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2023-03-13 6:14 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Wow, I want to move to Egypt and have the pool to myself too, can I stay with you?
(Although I suspect you are the only one in there because you are there in (what I consider) the middle of the night)

First I read one douchy nude, which didn't suprise me that much, LOL. Then I saw it was a d

Yes, it's always the ones that can't swim who want to race!

2023-03-13 6:14 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Hi, all.  We're down in Florida now enjoying the warmer weather here (but it's still all over the place).  I had to bail on my planned super sprint as I really aggravated my back last week.  I could have pushed through but for a "C" fun race that seemed stupid.  I'm going to focus on swimming and biking for the next week or so and see how it responds.  12 weeks until my "A" race Oly so plenty of time still.  

@Gretchen:  nice work on the 10K and congrats on the PR, and yes that warmup sounds silly but I've seen some like that (really depends on the vibe of the race and organizers)

@Nathalie:  I would love to try XC skiing...looks like such a great workout

@Andrew:  be careful with construction...we don't want any injuries!  sounds like you have a good plan laid out and yes 19 weeks would make my head explode

As usual I'm a mess after our change over to Daylight Savings Time.  Have a great week, folks!

2023-03-13 6:16 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Who the hell asks a stranger in the pool to race?  That's just some bizarre behavior.  I've had some folks get really chatty with me but nothing like that.

2023-03-13 7:06 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Who the hell asks a stranger in the pool to race?  That's just some bizarre behavior.  I've had some folks get really chatty with me but nothing like that.

Oh no...they NEVER ask to race...they just wait at the wall until you are ready to take off and then try to beat you. I've been known to post up on the wall and just smile when they arrive...out of breath and looking like they're going to die...just to then take off again.
2023-03-13 11:30 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Happy post-DST Monday! I'm definitely struggling a little but not as much as I thought I would be with the time change.

Gretchen, that pre-race sounds like A LOT! I've definitely seen group warm ups, but they really went for it with that other stuff. Way to go on the PR also!

Mike, hope your back heals up quick! Sorry to hear you tweaked it, but smart to not push it too much.

Nathalie, let us know when your song hits spotify!

Andrew, great work on the weight loss and consistent training!
2023-03-13 11:46 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I've still been in and out of a rut, but feel like I'm coming to the end of it. I had a really great weekend, between masters practice Saturday morning (about 2500 yds), having a productive day around my house, and getting a 5 mile run in Sunday morning, I'm feeling pretty good.
That and I've made really good food choices and am down a few pounds.

I have an axe throwing tournament this weekend so am going to try to keep my momentum. Weekends like these with alcohol flowing is often where my progress can be derailed, but my plan is to only drink Sunday night at the after party, if at all.

My clothes are all a bit tight so I'm determined to drop at least 10 more lbs in the next 2 months. I think it will make a huge difference.

2023-03-14 2:09 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice 60' run with 3x5' Z3 intervals. It was actually raining when I went out, so my pace was a bit off. I could feel my feet slipping a bit with each step on the thin skin of mud created by any amount of moisture and the layers of dust/dirt always present here (and maybe in any city). It was terrible when I got to the bit where I run through a little river walk, which has marble tiles as the sidewalk--slick as heck! Fortunately, that was in one of the rest intervals and I was able to just walk and hope I didn't fall on my butt! Upside to running in the rain in Egypt--there is NO ONE else around. All the people who are randomly hanging around at 5:30am on a normal day (mostly young, unemployed teen boys and young men) have fled inside and the run is super peaceful.

Later, I have a 60' Z1 ride on schedule.
2023-03-14 2:22 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

I've still been in and out of a rut, but feel like I'm coming to the end of it. I had a really great weekend, between masters practice Saturday morning (about 2500 yds), having a productive day around my house, and getting a 5 mile run in Sunday morning, I'm feeling pretty good.

I have an axe throwing tournament this weekend so am going to try to keep my momentum. Weekends like these with alcohol flowing is often where my progress can be derailed, but my plan is to only drink Sunday night at the after party, if at all.

My clothes are all a bit tight so I'm determined to drop at least 10 more lbs in the next 2 months. I think it will make a huge difference.

Congrats on a solid weekend, hope you can keep that momentum into next weekend.

Actually, we have 3 songs on Spotify already, recorded before our singer left us. Playing with the idea of recording more this Spring (despite the lead vocals not being so great. After all, we only do that for fun so who cares really?)

Woke up early this morning and would have had time to go to the pool before work but Lazy Nat (a cousin of Fat Nat who is much more difficult to get rid of) convinced me not to get up.

2023-03-14 4:31 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Congrats on a solid weekend, hope you can keep that momentum into next weekend.

Actually, we have 3 songs on Spotify already, recorded before our singer left us. Playing with the idea of recording more this Spring (despite the lead vocals not being so great. After all, we only do that for fun so who cares really?)

Woke up early this morning and would have had time to go to the pool before work but Lazy Nat (a cousin of Fat Nat who is much more difficult to get rid of) convinced me not to get up.

Umm...we're gonna need some titles!
2023-03-14 6:21 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
The band is Out of Tune and the three songs are Key to my Ride, Corona and Fröken Karlsson

remember before you laugh, we're no pros, only doing this for fun....
2023-03-14 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl The band is Out of Tune and the three songs are Key to my Ride, Corona and Fröken Karlsson remember before you laugh, we're no pros, only doing this for fun....

Love the blues vibe...that's so fun. 

You sound like you should be playing in a dive bar on Bourbon Street in New Olreans.  That's a compliment.    

2023-03-14 7:59 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Rollergirl The band is Out of Tune and the three songs are Key to my Ride, Corona and Fröken Karlsson remember before you laugh, we're no pros, only doing this for fun....

Love the blues vibe...that's so fun. 

You sound like you should be playing in a dive bar on Bourbon Street in New Olreans.  That's a compliment.    

Thanks! taking it as one!
2023-03-14 10:56 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
All three songs are fantastic!
2023-03-14 11:03 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

you're too kind
2023-03-14 12:54 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

you're too kind

These are so fun! I'm so glad you shared!
2023-03-14 1:03 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got in a masters swim last night. reached about 2500 yds in an hour, so not too shabby. main set was 24 x 75 on 1:45 for me and my lane mate. I felt pretty solid throughout, though my shoulders are a bit sore today.

2023-03-14 4:38 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Awesome news Andrew!!

I find that construction work is way harder than training too!! I think it is the duration. Rarely do I train for 10+ hours in a day, especially not consecutive days, but I'll commonly go out and work for 10+ hours on a project multiple days in a row (sometimes after training). Cumulative fatigue.

Day 2 of this building project started with a 90 minute run at 6am. Haha, seemed like a good idea at the time.
2023-03-14 4:45 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

you're too kind

These are so fun! I'm so glad you shared!

Thanks!
2023-03-14 4:46 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Got in a masters swim last night. reached about 2500 yds in an hour, so not too shabby. main set was 24 x 75 on 1:45 for me and my lane mate. I felt pretty solid throughout, though my shoulders are a bit sore today.

Great !
2023-03-14 4:56 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@ Gretchen. Nice work on your consistent workouts. As always

@ Nathalie. I do not have a musical bone in my body. People who can play instruments, are super impressive to me.

@ Mike. Sorry you had to miss your super sprint. But taking the knee, and living to race another day sounds like the right call. Enjoy Florida

@ NIcole. Nice work getting some work in. Enjoy the axe throwing, having some drinks at the after party, rather than throughout the weekend sounds like a responsible way to mange the intake, but still take part in the highjinx.

And thank you everyone for the support. Only 352 training days to go. So lots of work to be done. Yes, Mrs Bullfrog is very supportive, and wants me to do well. But to be fair, towards the end of the marathon last time I did a 140.6 I was really suffering and was not in a good place, the family don't want me to put myself back there again. And I understand not wanting to see someone you care about hurting themselves to that extent.

So hopefully the plan works, and by midnight on Ironman day I am safely tucked up in bed recovering, not out there suffering.
2023-03-15 2:25 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

24 anything sucks in the pool...I can't count that high that early in the morning!! Seriously, I lose count and then am super frustrated by the whole situation. Long ago I developed the "rule" that if you lose count, you have to start over (or if you can't remember if this is rep 6 or 7, always go with the lower number). It has helped some, for sure!

2023-03-15 2:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

And thank you everyone for the support. Only 352 training days to go. So lots of work to be done. Yes, Mrs Bullfrog is very supportive, and wants me to do well. But to be fair, towards the end of the marathon last time I did a 140.6 I was really suffering and was not in a good place, the family don't want me to put myself back there again. And I understand not wanting to see someone you care about hurting themselves to that extent.

So hopefully the plan works, and by midnight on Ironman day I am safely tucked up in bed recovering, not out there suffering.

When I was talking to my wife about doing another 140.6 she mentioned that she'd really appreciate it if I didn't "disappear" on the last lap on the run this time. Apparently my last lap time was so long last year that she and my former coach (the RD for MiTi now) thought they were going to have to come looking for me. She said that was a bit stressful for her. :D I get where you're coming from here.

Edited by drfoodlove 2023-03-15 2:27 AM
2023-03-15 2:44 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2000yds swim this morning, mostly descending sets...until the last one, which was 4x50 ascending. I'm going to put it out there...I might be the ascending set queen. +0:05 per 50! :D I have no idea what the point of an ascending set it, but I'll take it, especially as the last set in the workout.

Later today, I'll ride 60' in Z1 and try not to be bored out of my mind. And in the meantime, I'll make a lasagna. It has been a feat of heroic proportions to obtain all of the ingredients for a proper lasagna here in Egypt. I'm excited!! I'm sure I won't be so much so in a week when I'm still eating that dang lasagna...cause you can't really make lasagna for one, it just doesn't work.
2023-03-15 6:04 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good morning, all.  Still dealing with this back thingy but getting in some decent workouts on the bike and in the pool.  It has become a little chilly down here relatively speaking and looks like 3-4 days of rain starting Saturday.  I'm on vacation next week dammit, not fair!

@Gretchen:  good luck on the lasagna, not sure I'd trust beef there but OK; when I lose count on sets I peek at my watch total yards page...sometimes I need to do some quick math but usually I can get there (I need to look at my watch anyway because I can't do math on the pace clock when :15s or :45s are involved)

@Nicole:  nice work in the pool - that's a lot of 75s but on 1:45 doesn't sound too horrible

@Andrew:  352 days will be here before you know it - you seem to have the right attitude about it as well and pushing just beyond finishing to actually racing is a great stretch goal; I'll be interested to see how you stack your training to meet it (other than weight loss, which of course will help anyone)

@Nathalie:  oh no that good-for-nothin' cousin Lazy Nat, such a freeloader!!  

2023-03-15 6:32 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by bulfrog

When I was talking to my wife about doing another 140.6 she mentioned that she'd really appreciate it if I didn't "disappear" on the last lap on the run this time. Apparently my last lap time was so long last year that she and my former coach (the RD for MiTi now) thought they were going to have to come looking for me. She said that was a bit stressful for her. :D I get where you're coming from here.

yes, must be stressfull for them. I wouldn't have to worry about that (if i ever did an IM, which I won't), my other half would not wait for me. In fact, he probably wouldn't be there at the start either or any time during the day.

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 122

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland