BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-07-01 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
Finished up my first ever track workout and I loved it!  Probably had a lot to do with the fact the intervals were 400s vs 800s or mile repeats.  As it turns out the freshman boys who are interested in cross country started training today so I had an audience for the last couple.  They were probably wondering what this old lady was doing on their turf. Tongue out

Make it a good day!

Suzy

2009-07-01 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2255498

User image

Champion
DougRob - 2009-07-01 9:33 AM Went to the hotel gym this AM to run. About 90% of the way through my hour I wanted to quit. It was hot, I was drenched and not feeling it. Then I thought of John in the Texas heat running 13.1 miles after swimming and biking. So I HTFU and finished. Thanks for inspiring me. I admire your will John.

Suzy: Some serious numbers!

The hotel gym?  Isn't it summer? Come on Doug!
2009-07-01 9:41 AM

User image

Happy 4th of July!
I've posted this a little early so it will be out there on the Fourth!!!!

May God Bless our Military , where ever they may be!
They protect our Country for our Freedom.

Thanks To them, and their sacrifices,
we can celebrate the 4th of July!

We must never forget who gets the credit for the freedoms we have,
of which we should be Eternally grateful.

I watched the flag pass by one day,
It fluttered in the breeze.

A young Marine Saluted it,
And then he stood at ease..

I looked at him in uniform,
So young, so tall, so proud,
With hair cut square
And eyes alert
He'd stand out in any crowd.

I thought how many men like him
Had fallen through the years.
How many died on foreign soil?
How many mothers' tears?

How many pilots' planes shot down?
How many died at sea?
How many foxholes were soldiers' graves ?
No, freedom isn't free.

I heard the sound of Taps one night,
When everything was still,
I listened to the bugler play,
And felt a sudden chill.

I wondered just how many times
That Taps had meant 'Amen,'
When a flag had draped a coffin.
Of a brother or a friend.

I thought of all the children,
Of the mothers and the wives,
Of fathers, sons and husbands
With interrupted lives.

I thought about a graveyard at the bottom of the sea,

Of unmarked graves in Arlington,
No, freedom isn't free.

Enjoy Your Freedom
& God Bless Our Troops

Please stop for a moment and
Say a Prayer for our servicemen & women.
Of all the gifts you could give a US Soldier,
Prayer is the very best One!

2009-07-01 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2255493

User image

Expert
B'ham

BigReub - 2009-07-01 7:32 AM Can we take a "Canada Day" too?

BTW, what kind of country picks a Wednesday for the day off?

They had to pick another day because all of the Mondays and Fridays were already taken with other holidays.

2009-07-01 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2255547

User image

Expert
B'ham
June's totals:
Bike:10h 39m 37s  - 181.9 Mi
Run:4h 00m 42s  - 28.15 Mi
Swim:28m 40s  - 1760 Yd

Not great, but I'm ok with them considering the month I had.  That was the most miles biked in any one month ever - I'm within 25ish miles of last year's total miles biked and have logged about 22% of my YTD miles since getting the new bike last Friday.  I'm hoping to start ramping up running distance now that my foot (I'm claiming it again, no longer "the foot") seems to be doing much better. 

Is swimming still part of Triathlon?  I might want to look into that this month

2009-07-01 10:50 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
GREAT post Linda.  Thanks! 

2009-07-01 10:54 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
Looks like some good looking numbers from June.  Man I can't believe its July 2009 already.

Doug... I second what Suzy said.  Why the heck aren't you running on the beach?

Suzy...  What is it about the nutrition that concerns you?  Do your best to figure out what works in training, stick with it, and TRUST it.

That's right Andy!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-07-01 10:56 AM
2009-07-01 12:30 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hey guys!  Sorry I haven't been around much (but you seem to do just fine without meTongue out) - I took last week off work and wasn't online much.  This week is the end of the fiscal year for us, so also a bit busy.  I need your help, or your opinions at least.  I've been looking at bikes on ebay and have found one that I'm considering bidding on.  I've never bought anything through ebay before so not exactly sure how that works, but I guess I'll figure it out as I go.  Anyway, the bike is a 2006 Specialized Roubaix Elite with Ultegra components and it's my size.  Right now it would be about $700 with the shipping, although I know it may go up during the next day or so before the auction ends.  My question is, is this a good price for this bike even if I have to go a little higher?  The newer ones I've been looking at at the LBS are $700-$1000 but with lower grade components so is this good even though it's a little older because it has the better components?  Any opinions?
Janet

2009-07-01 12:33 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Rather than re-type this, again, I have a shipping question (copy and pasted):

I've never shipped a bike before and I've got a tri in Las Vegas (October). I need help!

So what suggestions / options are there for shipping. NWA doesn't insure any bike, $20 or $2000. And they won't guarantee a bike's arrival, just like luggage. So I'm leary about flying it.

I've seen a couple of web based options, but I'm looking at upwards of $300 - $400 and up to 14 days for the round trip.

Is this a normal price? What other suggestions do you (anyone) have?

Anyone ever just ship UPS?
2009-07-01 12:52 PM
in reply to: #2256159

User image

Champion
marietta
JHagerman - 2009-07-01 12:33 PM Rather than re-type this, again, I have a shipping question (copy and pasted):

I've never shipped a bike before and I've got a tri in Las Vegas (October). I need help!

So what suggestions / options are there for shipping. NWA doesn't insure any bike, $20 or $2000. And they won't guarantee a bike's arrival, just like luggage. So I'm leary about flying it.

I've seen a couple of web based options, but I'm looking at upwards of $300 - $400 and up to 14 days for the round trip.

Have you contacted Nu Vision to see what they suggest?  702.228.1333

Edit.  I checked Tri sports Express but no luck for your race.  This is who my 70.3 used last week and I heard great things.  Fortunately I found someone local to bring my bike up. 

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-07-01 12:58 PM
2009-07-01 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2256152

User image

Champion
marietta
soccermom15 - 2009-07-01 12:30 PM

Hey guys!  Sorry I haven't been around much (but you seem to do just fine without meTongue out) - I took last week off work and wasn't online much.  This week is the end of the fiscal year for us, so also a bit busy.  I need your help, or your opinions at least.  I've been looking at bikes on ebay and have found one that I'm considering bidding on.  I've never bought anything through ebay before so not exactly sure how that works, but I guess I'll figure it out as I go.  Anyway, the bike is a 2006 Specialized Roubaix Elite with Ultegra components and it's my size.  Right now it would be about $700 with the shipping, although I know it may go up during the next day or so before the auction ends.  My question is, is this a good price for this bike even if I have to go a little higher?  The newer ones I've been looking at at the LBS are $700-$1000 but with lower grade components so is this good even though it's a little older because it has the better components?  Any opinions?
Janet

Welcome back! What does lbs have, 105?  What is the $$ comparison when you even out the components, meaning 09 w/ Ultegra?

2009-07-01 1:00 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Janet

Be prepared for the price to rise a lot in the last hour. Most peole bid this way. This is called sniping and is the norm.
2009-07-01 1:02 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
JHagerman - 2009-07-01 12:33 PM Rather than re-type this, again, I have a shipping question (copy and pasted):

I just read a little about this. If Southwest Airlines is an option, they charge only $50/bike. Is there a reliable Tri/LBS near you they may have shipping services arranged. IOS in NC sends out announcements for this service. (Got one yesterday). Haven't used them as I have not done a tri I need to fly to.
2009-07-01 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2256226

User image

Expert
Missouri
fattyfatfat - 2009-07-01 12:55 PM

Janet

Welcome back! What does lbs have, 105?  What is the $$ comparison when you even out the components, meaning 09 w/ Ultegra?

The ones at the LBS (I've been looking at Giant, Specialized and Cannondale) have Sora and/or Tiagra components.  The ones with better components are pretty much out of my price range right now.  That's why I was looking at used - I was hoping to get a better bike for the same money. 
I went back and re-checked the one on ebay and it looks like it has some Ultegra components (rear derailleur and flight deck) and some 105.  I'm a little leary of going the ebay way because of not being able to test ride it and basically "buying blind" since all I have to go on is the pictures and their word about the bike, but it seems to be a reputable seller based on their history. 
2009-07-01 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2256259

User image

Elite
Raleigh
soccermom15 - 2009-07-01 1:04 PM
fattyfatfat - 2009-07-01 12:55 PM

Janet

The ones at the LBS (I've been looking at Giant, Specialized and Cannondale) have Sora and/or Tiagra components.  The ones with better components are pretty much out of my price range right now.  That's why I was looking at used - I was hoping to get a better bike for the same money. 
I went back and re-checked the one on ebay and it looks like it has some Ultegra components (rear derailleur and flight deck) and some 105.  I'm a little leary of going the ebay way because of not being able to test ride it and basically "buying blind" since all I have to go on is the pictures and their word about the bike, but it seems to be a reputable seller based on their history. 

Check your local Craigslist.
2009-07-01 1:07 PM

User image

Expert
B'ham

soccermom15 - 2009-07-01 10:30 AM

Janet

The 2009 Roubaix Elite has an MSRP of $2200.  I would say $700 is a great price (assuming it is in good condition), but would expect it to go higher as the auction nears its end (ask Tony about this)

2009-07-01 1:46 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Janet

I would buy from the LBS.  The more I mess around with bikes, the more convinced I am that the LBS's slightly higher prices than the internet and other sources are worth it.  Service is the name of the game at the end of the day.  More important than a slight upgrade in components is the fit.  You buy at the LBS and they will fit the bike to you - something that you really can't do too well by yourself.  They will also tweak the adjustments for you over time.  You will also find them more than willing to do little repairs (tighten spokes, adjust derailleurs, etc) for you quickly and for free.  I first tried to find a bike on ebay and craigslist.  There are very few deals out there, even on used bikes.  Ebay tends to be a pretty efficient market and I would be suprised if the price did not jump at the end of the auction (like Matt was talking about).

-Andy

PS - welcome back!

Edited by ashort33 2009-07-01 1:47 PM
2009-07-01 2:27 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Had that thought as well.  However, you had better pack it well, UPS is not gentle on their merchandise.  I think they have contests to see how far they can throw boxes....

2009-07-01 2:28 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Thanks for the opinions guys, I really appreciate it.  After talking with some other people also, I think I'm going to pass on this.  Besides the fact that the price will probably go up over the next 24 hours (auction ends tomorrow), it appears that the bike has had some modifications made to it (not being a bike person I didn't notice, but they did).  I think I'd be better off just getting something from the LBS.  That way I know exactly what I'm getting and they're nearby if I need help with anything. 

So one other question then.  If I get a bike from the LBS it will probably have to be something that has either Sora or Tiagra components.  I know they're not the best, but since I'm only planning to do short distance tris for the next year or so, they should be OK, right? 

2009-07-01 2:38 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Yes. These parts should do fine. Unless the parts are utter crap they should last a long time. No reputable LBS stays in business very long sell garbage. You can always upgrade later (Bike or parts) as you find you need them. I have done this to my own bikes many times. I have some "vintage" (70's) Campagnolo bike parts lying around my office from these upgrades.

A had a Sears free Spirit in the early 70's and that WAS a POS! I broke a shifter, gotta flat and crushed the ball bearings in the bottom bracket all in one day.

BTW any good LBS will offer free adjustments (not parts) for the first year. Higher end shops may offer trade-ins for upgrades.

Doug
2009-07-01 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
We've already booked with Northwest, unfortunately.  I'm not a NWA fan.

Waiting for a response from the LBS.  I can rent a box from my team sponsor/shop, but still have to figure out the shipping.  I'll be checking with UPS, but first I have to get the overall size and weight.

2009-07-01 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2256568

User image

Champion
marietta
JHagerman - 2009-07-01 2:47 PM We've already booked with Northwest, unfortunately.  I'm not a NWA fan.

Waiting for a response from the LBS.  I can rent a box from my team sponsor/shop, but still have to figure out the shipping.  I'll be checking with UPS, but first I have to get the overall size and weight.

yeah man i can't stand nwa.   also before you rent check out the price to purchase new.  tri-sports is having a sale now and i wonder if you get the BT discount on top of it.  i seem to recall you do, but check.   regardless, if you think you might ship the bike again, to say my house in april for lone starUndecided, then it may be worth buying your own.  don't know

2009-07-01 3:24 PM
in reply to: #2256510

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

soccermom15 - 2009-07-01 2:28 PM

Thanks for the opinions guys, I really appreciate it.  After talking with some other people also, I think I'm going to pass on this.  Besides the fact that the price will probably go up over the next 24 hours (auction ends tomorrow), it appears that the bike has had some modifications made to it (not being a bike person I didn't notice, but they did).  I think I'd be better off just getting something from the LBS.  That way I know exactly what I'm getting and they're nearby if I need help with anything. 

So one other question then.  If I get a bike from the LBS it will probably have to be something that has either Sora or Tiagra components.  I know they're not the best, but since I'm only planning to do short distance tris for the next year or so, they should be OK, right? 

Think of the components you are talking about being regular old Toyota's and Honda's.  The upgrades you mentioned are Lexus and Acura and of course there are more expensive ones than that even.  Those components will be more than adequate for your needs.  Unless you are on the level of Doug or Tony, it is the human drive train that is the limiting factor - that is definitely the case for me!

2009-07-01 3:51 PM
in reply to: #2256510

User image

Expert
B'ham

soccermom15 - 2009-07-01 12:28 PM

Both Sora and Tiagra will work just fine.  The main difference is that you are only able to shift the Sora one direction from the drops.  Rather than having both shifters in the brake lever, they shift one direction w/ the brake lever and the other w/ a switch by your thumb when on the hoods. 

2009-07-01 4:22 PM
in reply to: #2255784

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2009-07-01 10:54 AM Looks like some good looking numbers from June.  Man I can't believe its July 2009 already.

Doug... I second what Suzy said.  Why the heck aren't you running on the beach?

Suzy...  What is it about the nutrition that concerns you?  Do your best to figure out what works in training, stick with it, and TRUST it.

That's right Andy!

I have a very delicate system .  If I take in calories too soon on the  bike, I am bloated and gurgly (lovely thought) even though I am WAY underfueled.  If I drink too little/take in too few calories, I get into T2 lightheaded and a little looped.  Both make for a very unfun run.   Drinking/Fueling on a long bike ride and doing a 20 minute brick run doesn't seem to replicate race conditions enough for me. I am fine during those times.  Coach Steve is so high on Hammer products he is having me try Perpeteum which I hated for marathons.  I bought it and plan to use it on a 55m ride on Sunday and get off my bike and hope I don't puke before doing a hard, but short run.  I am determined to create an iron gut for myself!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383