BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 168

2009-05-26 11:47 PM
in reply to: #2174580

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Subject: RE: Girl Passing on Left (FULL)

Sledge - 2009-05-26 7:23 PM

I should be in bed, but instead I'm surfing.  I wanted to let you all know that Nalani (naners) is doing the Hawaii 70.3 this Saturday.  Go send lots of hugs and kisses her way!!!

thanks Cheri...I will definitely send some cheer her way! do you know if she was getting married the week before or the week after this race?

2009-05-27 7:46 PM
in reply to: #2174523

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
Sledge - 2009-05-26 9:51 PM

maxmansmom - 2009-05-26 8:34 PM I'm so sorry but I can't find the paper where I printed out all the info of different types of nutrition to have at the race.
I tried some gu and I hate it............ I just do not like the consistency.
I would like to try those that are like pieces of candy, can you tell me the names again ?....... I hate to ask the same thing again, i'm sorry !

Julie, you are doing a sprint, right?  For me, the most important aspect of a sprint is staying hydrated.  Don't know if you can stomach Gatorade, but I really do well with it (during biking, not running).  So maybe have that in your water bottle on your bike.  But don't do it if you haven't practiced with it during training.  Practicing with what works for you is important!

I think the "candy" you are looking for is Sports Beans.  They are like jelly beans, same consistency, chewiness (is that really a word?), sweetness.  My favorite flavor is watermelon.  I took a mouthful before my run in my HIM, though, and it took awhile to gag them down.  Unless you tend to bonk, though, you probably shouldn't worry too much about calories, and instead you should do your best to stay hydrated.  Drink lots of water after the swim (although all of my swims have been in salt water, and I drink to get rid of the salt taste!).  Drink water and/or some sort of sports drink on the bike, then use the aid stations on the run.

Keep the questions coming, girl!  I think you are doing a super job getting prepared, and anything we can say to help you get over that anxiety can only make you better prepared.

And speaking of being prepared -- did you make it to the bike shop???

Thanks so much for the response and encouragement. Yes, it is a sprint tri, same one our beloved Amy M will be doing.  I know, did you just hear me squeel ? I get to meet Amy !
I do use gatoraid, both when i bike and when I run. but this time I'm going to use it on the bike and only water on the run.   However, I tend to run out of gas, so I figured if I had something on the bike then I may be able to feel better on the run........  just guessing though ! lol
I did go to the bike shop today. He looked at it for like two minutes, realized my calbes were all turned and LITERALLY spun the front wheel/handle bar around three times  TAH DAH....... turns out the calbes were all twisted and pulling the brakes on.  Yep, I feel like "HERE"S YOUR SIGN".... lol
I bought a behind the seat bag/pouch thingy, which he put on (I LOVE HIM), then I asked about bike pumps for the bike.  He suggested a high (hmm did he say velocity ?.....lol) anyway the pump is small, but will pump both the big tires and the small valve tires, it also pumps bunches of air at one time so not so much pumping.  For some reason he said that the canister type would not be as good. 
SO, my sweet bike man taught me about my cables, and got me ready with a pump.........
I also ate lunch in the park where the tri will be, I tried to make peace with it after the other day ! lol
2009-05-27 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2174629

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
lufferly - 2009-05-26 10:58 PM
maxmansmom - 2009-05-26 8:34 PM I'm so sorry but I can't find the paper where I printed out all the info of different types of nutrition to have at the race.
I would like to try those that are like pieces of candy, can you tell me the names again ?....... I hate to ask the same thing again, i'm sorry !

Julie, you might even try the real fruit chews (there are cheaper than the other stuff) or fruit leather (by Stretch Island Fruit Company).  During my HMs, all I did was hydrate with water (I don't really like Gatorade, except the tropical flavor, or any of those other sports drinks) and ate a couple of fruit leathers around mile 7 or so.  I don't worry about anything but water during my sprints, as I know I can go out and train for 1 1/2 hours without nutrition.  Whatever you decide, just make sure to try it out ahead of time to see what works best. 

See, I have not even heard of some of this stuff............ You rock, as do all of our fabulous group !  Thank you, I'll get to surfing and checking this stuff out !
Thanks for the names again to all.........., I totally looked and could not find my original post !
2009-05-28 9:51 AM
in reply to: #1863539

User image

Extreme Veteran
hello everyone! I just don't get by here much...I try to get to each one personally instead, I can't catch up here as easily.
I will definately cheer Nalani on this weekend!!!!

For Julie IN - I think you did awesome on your run Sunday, and also in the rain...You are definately ready, you ran the 5K in 35!!! My best this year so far is 38, and I doubt I do much better than that on race day. So give yourself a pat on the back, or I will when I see you!!!!

Love from Indiana Everyone!!!
Amy
2009-05-28 10:17 PM
in reply to: #2174468

User image

Veteran
British Columbia

Sending a BIG HUG your way.  Take care. We are here if you need us.

lyssa-gator - 2009-05-26 6:21 PM hey guys! just swinging through to say hi. looks like you are all keeping busy, and i love that racing season has started!! i'm (once again) in the middle of a personal/marital crisis. but i'm still trying to run when i can, and i'm TRYING to stop in here more often.
thinking of you guys all the time!!!

2009-05-28 10:29 PM
in reply to: #2177080

User image

Veteran
British Columbia

Julie...You're going to be so prepared.  I know you will do great.  Make sure you have someone take a picture of you and Amy. 

Also...I love the organic energy chews by Honey Stinger (favourite flavour is cherry blossom).  For gels, I like Carb Boom (apple cinnamon)...again little or no additives and seems to agree with them stomach.

maxmansmom - 2009-05-27 5:49 PM

Julie, you might even try the real fruit chews (there are cheaper than the other stuff) or fruit leather (by Stretch Island Fruit Company).  During my HMs, all I did was hydrate with water (I don't really like Gatorade, except the tropical flavor, or any of those other sports drinks) and ate a couple of fruit leathers around mile 7 or so.  I don't worry about anything but water during my sprints, as I know I can go out and train for 1 1/2 hours without nutrition.  Whatever you decide, just make sure to try it out ahead of time to see what works best. 

See, I have not even heard of some of this stuff............ You rock, as do all of our fabulous group !  Thank you, I'll get to surfing and checking this stuff out !
Thanks for the names again to all.........., I totally looked and could not find my original post !

2009-05-29 7:08 AM
in reply to: #2180064

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
kew - 2009-05-28 11:29 PM

Julie...You're going to be so prepared.  I know you will do great.  Make sure you have someone take a picture of you and Amy. 

Also...I love the organic energy chews by Honey Stinger (favourite flavour is cherry blossom).  For gels, I like Carb Boom (apple cinnamon)...again little or no additives and seems to agree with them stomach.

maxmansmom - 2009-05-27 5:49 PM

THank you so much ! oh man I have my hubby on deck for pics and video.  I'll have to get Amy's number so he knows to watch for her. My suit is bright, can't miss my yellow boobs ! lol
2009-05-29 7:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana

Good morning hugs to my lovely group !Kiss

I know I have not been logging, but I did hit the pool yesterday.  Just had some drama hit (friend in hospital with blood clot in leg, newphew #2 3 year old decided to take sweater ball cutter thing and put to his lip while it was on........disaster).

Also Sunday is our 12 year anniversary......well wow, so busy all the wy around.

I have also called Forward Motion Athletics (they ran our swim clinic) and asked him to help me with my running. He said (and I quote) "we can help you, let's get some speed in your wheels".  I'm all over that folks. 

I send Nalani well wishes and strength for tomorrow ! GO NALANI, and to all who race this weekend, or workout/train........  

I'm off to order some sports beans, they seam like they would be pretty easy to deal with, unlike the goo which just grosses me out.

hugs to you all !!

2009-05-29 2:11 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
2009-05-29 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2181644

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
MDHillSlug - 2009-05-29 3:11 PM

OMG !!! Hilarious !!!!
2009-05-30 11:11 AM
in reply to: #2181644

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
MDHillSlug - 2009-05-29 2:11 PM

That's TOO funny! LOVE IT!!

2009-05-30 2:37 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Happy Saturday!

My 50 mile training ride turned into 53+ whan I took a wrong turn. Doh! This ride felt much better than last week's 50 miler. Mybe the metric next weekend IS doable for me now!
2009-05-31 2:38 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Kinda quiet in here. Hope you're all having a great weekend. I got out for a short bike ride and run today to wrap up my challenge goals for May.
2009-05-31 9:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana

I got ahold of coach ryan ! woohoo they will come to our town this next week and work with us on  our running form. I am thrilled, I need all the help I can get !
Our swim workouts will now be on Mon and Wed nights, so looking forward to the training.
wow, can't believe this tri is so soon...... gonna practice my transition today, plus run in a bit.
hugs to you all. promise one day I'll get better at the inspires.........  hwoever today I have help on tihs stupid deck (staining so I'm gonna be in that mess most of the afternoon) !
HUGS TO YOU ALL !

2009-05-31 10:16 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Hello!

I got out this morning and did my longest run ever: 5.4 miles! I was sure I could do the distance but I surprised myself with my pace. Having biked 53 miles yesterday I was planning to run pretty easy today but my body seemed to say "let's go!" I would have been fine with a 10:30 pace (or even 11) but did just over 10:00. My HR data says that I wasn't working particularly hard either. Wow!
2009-05-31 12:50 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB
Happy Sunday!
Just looked up Nalani's results and she fully rocked it!
5:35:39 for the HIM! Hopefully she will take sometime to enjoy and relax before the wedding next weekend! Way to go, Nalani!!!!!

2009-05-31 5:01 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Hi everyone!

Next Sunday I will be riding a metric century for the benefit of the American Diabetes Association. Diabetes is common in my family so this group is near and dear to my heart. Part of the reason I got into biking was to try to lose weight and get fitter so as to decrease my chance of getting diabetes. Now, I can do something I love and also have it benefit an organization that it working to improve the lives of my loved ones.

I'm still short of my fund raising goals. Would you please support my efforts?

Thanks, Nicole

Please see my page
2009-05-31 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2184343

User image

Veteran
British Columbia

Wow!  That's awesome...congrats Nalani.

Yvonne...how's the foot?

Nicole...great run & love the cartoon.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.  Back to work tomorrow...darn these weekends go by way too fast. 

Take care all...

run_yc_run - 2009-05-31 10:50 AM Happy Sunday!
5:35:39 for the HIM! Hopefully she will take sometime to enjoy and relax before the wedding next weekend! Way to go, Nalani!!!!!

2009-05-31 8:56 PM
in reply to: #2184343

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

run_yc_run - 2009-05-31 12:50 PM Happy Sunday!

Yup, here's Nalani's info:

308     05:35:39 QUINN, NALANI          KAILUA        HI  USA   8/44  W25-29 1227    5   80   29:30  1:29   2:45   9  451 2:55:50  19.1    1:51  12  343 2:05:45  9:36  

She is a certified rock star in my book!!!  8th out of 44???  Incredible!  And a 2:05:45 HM at the end of all of that -- I'm in awe.  She is amazing!!!

2009-06-01 8:12 AM
in reply to: #2184180

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
MDHillSlug - 2009-05-31 11:16 AM Hello!

I got out this morning and did my longest run ever: 5.4 miles! I was sure I could do the distance but I surprised myself with my pace. Having biked 53 miles yesterday I was planning to run pretty easy today but my body seemed to say "let's go!" I would have been fine with a 10:30 pace (or even 11) but did just over 10:00. My HR data says that I wasn't working particularly hard either. Wow!

MY GIRL IS A ROCK STAR !!!!!!!!!!  STRONG RUNNER !! WOOHOO
2009-06-01 8:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana

YEAH NALANI!!!!  IRONGIRL !!! WOHOOOO

2009-06-01 8:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
I managed to hurt my left shin "TRYING" to run more on the balls of my feet.   Hope it stops hurting by Friday. I manged to set up for a coach to come in and help me with my running, have a few others joining in as well.  These are the folks that coached us on our swim and helped me SO MUCH.
Looking forward to it very much !
2009-06-01 11:56 AM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Hi everyone...sorry for my disappearance...my computer is acting up! I have rebuilt it...but it still seems really slow. I have been keeping busy and think of you guys all the time...and no, Im not hiding Cheri! haha ~

GREAT RACE NALANI! I actually followed you when you were out there! VERY PROUD OF YOU! amazing times! is that a 19.1 avg speed on the bike! you rock sister! VERY IMPRESSIVE!

Julie H...hope your legs do better....be careful about changing your running styles....that is what the Newton running shoes do...and when I bought my pair at the IMAZ last year, I was told that I run on the balls so they would be great and would improve my run times. I tried them the next day and could barely walk for a week! my shins were KEEEEELING ME!

hows my Lyssa? want to hear from you girl! I will call you on Friday if I do not hear from you.

Nice long run Nicole! soon you will be running long distance with ease!

Thanks to all of you who have come by to say hi...I promise when I get my computer going again...I will be back to inspire EACH and EVERY one of you a few times a week!

once again...sorry for my lack of being around....hope you ALL have  a great week!

2009-06-01 12:23 PM
in reply to: #2186649

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-06-01 12:56 PM

Hi everyone...sorry for my disappearance...my computer is acting up! I have rebuilt it...but it still seems really slow. I have been keeping busy and think of you guys all the time...and no, Im not hiding Cheri! haha ~

GREAT RACE NALANI! I actually followed you when you were out there! VERY PROUD OF YOU! amazing times! is that a 19.1 avg speed on the bike! you rock sister! VERY IMPRESSIVE!

Julie H...hope your legs do better....be careful about changing your running styles....that is what the Newton running shoes do...and when I bought my pair at the IMAZ last year, I was told that I run on the balls so they would be great and would improve my run times. I tried them the next day and could barely walk for a week! my shins were KEEEEELING ME!

hows my Lyssa? want to hear from you girl! I will call you on Friday if I do not hear from you.

Thanks to all of you who have come by to say hi...I promise when I get my computer going again...I will be back to inspire EACH and EVERY one of you a few times a week!

once again...sorry for my lack of being around....hope you ALL have  a great week!

So is Newton trying to destroy us ? It was them on youtube that got me to try the method you described..........and my shin area /ankle has hurt ever since.
DOH
2009-06-01 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2186751

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
maxmansmom - 2009-06-01 1:23 PM
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-06-01 12:56 PM

So is Newton trying to destroy us ? It was them on youtube that got me to try the method you described..........and my shin area /ankle has hurt ever since.
DOH

I'm thinking of trying some "barefoot" running in Vibram FiveFingers shoes, but I may wait until after tri season.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  

of 168