BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 168

2009-06-07 11:18 AM
in reply to: #1863539

User image

Master
somewhere over the rainbow
Subject: RE: Girl Passing on Left (FULL)
hey guys!
i'm here, i'm doing ok. i worked out yesterday AND today, and i'm slowly fighting my way back!
i FULLY lost my momentum being sick for so long, THEN my marriage threatened to fall apart (still rocky, but i think we'll make it) and now the seasonal allergies (read-the bane of my existance) are in full force. which is why i did the stationary bike yesterday, and the treadmill today. if i step out the door my face detonates. LOL it's actually funny--unless it's you.
nicole-your family is so precious! i love seeing the pics (and i thought it was funny on facebook the "how gay are you?' quiz!!--that made me laugh so hard-maybe i'll take it too--just in case. LOL)
julie--GOOD LUCK TODAY!!!! i'm so proud of how far you've come!!!
i have to go catch up on some pages that i've missed, and update my log thingy--thinking of you guys today though!!

2009-06-07 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2200027

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
maxmansmom - 2009-06-07 11:34 AM Hi my loves. You are so sweet to think of me, seven days and tah day.........my triathlon ! I"M GETTING SO NEVEROUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do you think I'll be able to find my Amy in that mass of 300 women and spectators ?...... Now I'm panicking about that, HOW CAN I FIND MY AMY !!!!!!!
Breathe......I think I need Nickole now !!!!!

Hi Julie,

You two need to set a time and place to meet, or if you'll have you bib numbers ahead of time make sure to exchange them so you can visit each other's spot on the racks.
2009-06-07 3:45 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Hi,

My metric century charity ride was today! The weather was a bit cooler than expected, and cooler than I was prepared for so I ended up buying some leg warmers. Wore them for the first 21 miles. I also had arm warmers that I kept on for most of the ride and kept pulling up and pushing down as I got cold or hot. Arm warmers rock!

I ended up getting into a little pace line for the first 21 miles so I was able to draft and conserve my energy. Those miles went by very quickly. Unfortunately, those guys didn't want to take the rest stop so I dropped out and, well, rested. There was a rider vs dog incident within the first 10 miles with a rider going down; I almost got caught up in a pile up behind him. I don't know if he was ok or not. Heard about a rider getting a speeding ticket for doing 42mph in a 35mph zone. I bet he considers that a badge of honor! The fastest I saw was 33mph.

The route had most of the hills in the middle, which was nice. It meant that you were warmed up before you started having to work really hard and that it wasn't so bad towards the end when you were really tired.

Around 48 miles I was pretty much ready for it to be over but I still had 13 miles to go. The last 6 were particularly hard because the outer part of my quads were starting to cramp up. Ended up finishing the whole 61.5 miles (1 km short of 100!) in under 4 hours, at a 15.2mph pace. This was faster than anything I expected.

So far I've raised about $1550. Donations can still be accepted for about another 2 weeks.

Michele volunteered taking photos. She stayed at the starting area and got all of the rides going out and then she headed out on my route to catch up with me. I didn't see her until 35 miles into the ride. She ended up sending me a text message saying that if I didn't slow down she wasn't going to catch me

I'll get some pictures posted later.
2009-06-07 5:25 PM
in reply to: #2200351

User image

Extreme Veteran
quebec's belly button
MDHillSlug - 2009-06-07 4:45 PMHi,

My metric century charity ride was today! The weather was a bit cooler than expected, and cooler than I was prepared for so I ended up buying some leg warmers. Wore them for the first 21 miles. I also had arm warmers that I kept on for most of the ride and kept pulling up and pushing down as I got cold or hot. Arm warmers rock!

I ended up getting into a little pace line for the first 21 miles so I was able to draft and conserve my energy. Those miles went by very quickly. Unfortunately, those guys didn't want to take the rest stop so I dropped out and, well, rested. There was a rider vs dog incident within the first 10 miles with a rider going down; I almost got caught up in a pile up behind him. I don't know if he was ok or not. Heard about a rider getting a speeding ticket for doing 42mph in a 35mph zone. I bet he considers that a badge of honor! The fastest I saw was 33mph.

The route had most of the hills in the middle, which was nice. It meant that you were warmed up before you started having to work really hard and that it wasn't so bad towards the end when you were really tired.

Around 48 miles I was pretty much ready for it to be over but I still had 13 miles to go. The last 6 were particularly hard because the outer part of my quads were starting to cramp up. Ended up finishing the whole 61.5 miles (1 km short of 100!) in under 4 hours, at a 15.2mph pace. This was faster than anything I expected.

So far I've raised about $1550. Donations can still be accepted for about another 2 weeks.

Michele volunteered taking photos. She stayed at the starting area and got all of the rides going out and then she headed out on my route to catch up with me. I didn't see her until 35 miles into the ride. She ended up sending me a text message saying that if I didn't slow down she wasn't going to catch me

GREAT JOB NICOLE and raising money too...you totally tock sista! now use that jacuzi on those legs.
2009-06-07 6:44 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB
Congratulations, Nicole! Sounds like you had a fantastic ride! Enjoy a couple of days of rest!
2009-06-07 6:57 PM
in reply to: #2200331

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
MDHillSlug - 2009-06-07 4:33 PM
maxmansmom - 2009-06-07 11:34 AM Hi my loves. You are so sweet to think of me, seven days and tah day.........my triathlon ! I"M GETTING SO NEVEROUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do you think I'll be able to find my Amy in that mass of 300 women and spectators ?...... Now I'm panicking about that, HOW CAN I FIND MY AMY !!!!!!!
Breathe......I think I need Nickole now !!!!!

Hi Julie,

You two need to set a time and place to meet, or if you'll have you bib numbers ahead of time make sure to exchange them so you can visit each other's spot on the racks.

See, I  knew you would make me all better.....even though I screwed up the spelling on your name !  WHY ARE YOU SO GOOD TO ME ???? SMILE Thank you girl !

2009-06-07 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2200351

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
MDHillSlug - 2009-06-07 4:45 PM Hi,

I LOVE THIS ! YOU did great !!  I also love how Michele had to slow you down, adorable !!  I am so proud and I just think you are awesome !
2009-06-08 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran
British Columbia

Congratulations Nicole!  How are the legs feeling today?

Julie - just a few more "sleeps" until race day...how exciting!

Julee- we miss you...but totally understand how busy you must be.  Don't work too hard.

Amy...glad you are feeling better and wishing you a much better week.  Hope you a Julie find each other at the triathlon...I want to see pictures!

Cheri...hang in there girl

Yvonne - I am so sorry that foot is still giving you grief.  Hang in there for the next two weeks.

Lyssa - glad to have you back.  Happy to hear that things are a bit better at home...take care of yourself. 

Wishing everyone a good week!

Hugs from,

K.

2009-06-08 5:17 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Hi,

Just spent the last 6+ hrs traveling back from Albany. I'm tired from the traveling but I'm feeling pretty good this afternoon. I'll be back in the pool tomorrow.

2009-06-08 5:19 PM
in reply to: #2200694

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
maxmansmom - 2009-06-07 8:00 PM
MDHillSlug - 2009-06-07 4:45 PM Hi,

I LOVE THIS ! YOU did great !!  I also love how Michele had to slow you down, adorable !!  I am so proud and I just think you are awesome !

She may have asked me to slow down, but I didn't slow down (I didn't actually see the message until after she had finally caught up)
2009-06-08 6:31 PM

User image

Veteran
British Columbia

Hi everyone...

Came across a neat site... www.splish.com .  Love the swim cap...it says "Eat my Bubbles".  Some cute and unusual swimsuits too.

K.

2009-06-09 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Hi everyone. Just a quick check-in before I disappear for 3 weeks of travel. We're off to the US/Canada to visit friends we have not seen in about 10 years and also to see my family. Best case, I will get in a run every other day or so, but I'm probably being over-optimistic. My swimming and cycling are going to take a step back. I will be back in the swing opf things in July and hopefully get my act together for an Oly at the end of August. Still a lot of work to do in all three disciplines....especially swimming.

Have a great June everyone.

Julie IN, Amy: looking forward to seeing how you do with your upcoming TRI.

Nicole: you're doing fabulous!! Great metric century - the guys measuring the course must have screwed up. They probably stopped at a bar somewhere along the way.

Lyssa: take your time coming back, but stick with it. If you get bored, rig a sprinkler next to your treadmill so that you can enjoy running in the rain.

Yvonne: good luck getting your foot sorted out. I know you're still getting in lots of great swim and bike workouts.

Trish: sorry to hear that you had to skip your race. Seems like you've been having some great workouts lately.

Cheri: looks like you're slowly getting back into your routine (3 runs in 4 days). Stick with it. Relax and try to enjoy yourself and feel good about what you've accomplished so far.

Isabelle: awesome bike ride on Sunday. 96km....wow!

Karen: nice workouts last week (even though you weren't necessarily satisfied with all of them)..

Helen: awesome workouts last week. You're the third person who almost logged a metric century on Sunday.

Lisa: looks like you also had a good week. I don't think I could have passed up on the Mexican food and margaritas...

Julie: good luck with that computer and your work. I'm guessing you really enjoy getting back into the thick of things.
2009-06-09 5:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
Looks like there may be thunderstorms the day of our tri. Oh please do not cancel the swim after all this work !!!
2009-06-09 6:55 PM
in reply to: #2206171

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
maxmansmom - 2009-06-09 6:16 PM Looks like there may be thunderstorms the day of our tri. Oh please do not cancel the swim after all this work !!!

If your weather is anything like on the east coast then the thunderstorms will be late day and you'll be long done by then.
2009-06-09 7:23 PM
in reply to: #2206331

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
MDHillSlug - 2009-06-09 7:55 PM
maxmansmom - 2009-06-09 6:16 PM Looks like there may be thunderstorms the day of our tri. Oh please do not cancel the swim after all this work !!!

If your weather is anything like on the east coast then the thunderstorms will be late day and you'll be long done by then.

From your mouth to God's ears !!!! SMILE
2009-06-09 7:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
So the other day when i got into the water, I got too cold and shocked......had a hard time getting my breath and timing back.   It really rattled me, plus at the tri there will be women all over the pool...........  I'd hate to panick in 4 ft of water ! LOL
They say we can warm up in teh pool, but at some point you have to line up ad wait....... I worry I'll get all cold again and do the same freak out at my turn........ any thoughts on this ?

2009-06-09 9:25 PM
in reply to: #2206377

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

maxmansmom - 2009-06-09 7:25 PM So the other day when i got into the water, I got too cold and shocked......had a hard time getting my breath and timing back.   It really rattled me, plus at the tri there will be women all over the pool...........  I'd hate to panick in 4 ft of water ! LOL
They say we can warm up in teh pool, but at some point you have to line up ad wait....... I worry I'll get all cold again and do the same freak out at my turn........ any thoughts on this ?

Hmm... well, I find that I'm very aware of water temperature when I'm warming up, but when it comes close to race time I'm not really thinking about that.  I just charge in full steam ahead!  But my swims have all been OWS, so I have to deal with wading, splashing, dolphin dives, waves, etc.  Honestly, I think that you'll be concentrating on the race itself, and the water temperature may shock you at first, but you won't think about it for long!

2009-06-09 9:30 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Sorry I've been so hit and miss lately.  I'm really having a hard time getting back into a training frame of mind since my HIM.  I have a couple of races coming up, but nothing seems to motivate me.  What's up with that????

I'm having some stressful days at work too -- big meetings at work this week, then next week I'm traveling.  And of course I have a race on Saturday after I return on Friday!  Having a hard time wrapping my brain around caring about racing.   Any suggestions???

2009-06-10 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2206623

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
Sledge - 2009-06-09 10:30 PM

Sorry I've been so hit and miss lately.  I'm really having a hard time getting back into a training frame of mind since my HIM.  I have a couple of races coming up, but nothing seems to motivate me.  What's up with that????

I'm having some stressful days at work too -- big meetings at work this week, then next week I'm traveling.  And of course I have a race on Saturday after I return on Friday!  Having a hard time wrapping my brain around caring about racing.   Any suggestions???

I can only guess, but I imagine after a big race like a HIM it may be a bit of a Mental letdown when it's over ?.........  and like starting all over again afterward ?
I really have no point of reference, I only did that indoor tri, and got sick the day afterward ! lol
2009-06-10 3:14 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD

Did you look at this HIM as THE race of your season? It's hard to train to peak so early and then have something left for the rest of the summer.

You should probably listen to your body and take it easy for a while until the fire in your belly roars back to life.
2009-06-10 5:20 PM
in reply to: #2208421

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

MDHillSlug - 2009-06-10 3:14 PM

Did you look at this HIM as THE race of your season? It's hard to train to peak so early and then have something left for the rest of the summer.

You should probably listen to your body and take it easy for a while until the fire in your belly roars back to life.

Yes, it was my A race, so you are right that I'm really looking for some motivation.  I think I've been taking it easy by default.  I thought maybe signing up for a couple of races would help, but not really.  Oh well... this too shall pass!

2009-06-10 5:46 PM
in reply to: #2206377

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

maxmansmom - 2009-06-09 5:25 PM So the other day when i got into the water, I got too cold and shocked......had a hard time getting my breath and timing back.   It really rattled me, plus at the tri there will be women all over the pool...........  I'd hate to panick in 4 ft of water ! LOL

like Cheri said...you wont soon even think about it...once you get going...

just take some loong big deeeeep breaths and remember to go nice and smooth...just like swimming laps....dont think about the people watching/yelling...or the ones that will be trying to pass...instead think about the ones you will be passing and the big smile you will have when you are getting out and heading to T1~ you will do great Julie! is Amy going to race with you?

2009-06-10 5:54 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Sledge - 2009-06-09 7:30 PM

if anyone deserves some time off....it is you! dont let Torture Dan hear me tell you that! hope that you do find your mojo...and when you do...you can spare a bit for me! I am getting some training in...but not the kind I would like to!

enjoy your days...dont work too hard and safe travels, Cheri! when you coming my way???

2009-06-10 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2208699

User image

Extreme Veteran
Indiana
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-06-10 6:46 PM

maxmansmom - 2009-06-09 5:25 PM So the other day when i got into the water, I got too cold and shocked......had a hard time getting my breath and timing back.   It really rattled me, plus at the tri there will be women all over the pool...........  I'd hate to panick in 4 ft of water ! LOL

just take some loong big deeeeep breaths and remember to go nice and smooth...just like swimming laps....dont think about the people watching/yelling...or the ones that will be trying to pass...instead think about the ones you will be passing and the big smile you will have when you are getting out and heading to T1~ you will do great Julie! is Amy going to race with you?

Thank you ! Yes, you guys I get to meet my sweet Amy M on Saturday night at the early body marking...I'm just giddy !!! 
2009-06-10 8:34 PM
in reply to: #2208973

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
maxmansmom - 2009-06-10 9:13 PM
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-06-10 6:46 PM

Thank you ! Yes, you guys I get to meet my sweet Amy M on Saturday night at the early body marking...I'm just giddy !!! 

I've never heard of early body marking. Cool!

Are you doing dinner together or anything?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  

of 168