BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 168

2009-01-04 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1885376

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Subject: RE: Girl Passing on Left (FULL)
maxmansmom - 2009-01-04 11:20 AM

Hi all, I went sledding with dd and dh yesterday. I count pulling those heavy tubing sleds uphill  a workout ! Plus I pulled mine and my 4 year old's .......so tired after all that !

I signed up for a spin class today.  It starts tomorrow and will be from 8:15 until 9:45, never done that so if any of you have suggestions on what to wear I could really use ideas !  I'd hate to be the dork girl who wears something completely inappropriate !

So that class will be mon and wed nights, that should help out my weakest link......THE BIKE !

2009-01-04 1:31 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Hi all, I went sledding with dd and dh yesterday. I count pulling those heavy tubing sleds uphill  a workout ! Plus I pulled mine and my 4 year old's .......so tired after all that !

I signed up for a spin class today.  It starts tomorrow and will be from 8:15 until 9:45, never done that so if any of you have suggestions on what to wear I could really use ideas !  I'd hate to be the dork girl who wears something completely inappropriate !

So that class will be mon and wed nights, that should help out my weakest link......THE BIKE !

2009-01-04 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1863539

Hi, my name is Debbie

I have been married for 26 years to my High School Sweetheart.  We enjoy travelling the world together and working out.  I would like to join your group, to get into shape so I can participate in a super sprint triatholon on my way to getting to my ideal weight and size.  I look forward to working out! 

2009-01-04 1:44 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-01-04 1:44 PM

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Hi Julie...that sledding can be exhausting! and with a little one even more so! I took a king mattress last year when spending Xmas in Tahoe. We had an absolute blast. Six adults on a mattress...flying down the mountain with our lab in her cute vest coat chasing behind us. I will try and fiind the video that we made and download it when I get home.

Good job on getting signed up for spin classes....I am by no means a spin expert...in fact very much a beginner myself....it is a great way to train and boy if you can stick it out...you will be kickiing my arse on the bike! go Julie go! as for clothing...be comfortable...my dd seems to wear both regular gym shorts some times and padded shorts other times... be comfortable...you do spend a lot of time in the saddle...so padding can be advantageous. oh and remember not to pull the stupid move that I did...do not try to coast....as this launches you towards the handlebars...and not a pretty site for those around you! start out slow and steady....the class may be doing lots of standing and up and down motions...but remember that you are a beginner and just try and get your endurance while staying with your butt in the seat, then do all the standing and cranking once you feel more comfortable. Plus, you may want to go early ant talk to the instructor and let her know that you are new and ask her lots of questions....do not be shy. One last thiing make sure that your bike is not set up previously by someone with really tight tension on your pedalling power...this can blow out knees if you are not used to spinning....GOOD LUCK and let us know how you like it and how you did....have a nice restful day...

GO STEELERS beat those pathetic Tennessee Titans!

Hope this is helpful...all you who are spinners chime in here...this advice is definitely from a somewhat of a new and uncoordinated spinner!

2009-01-04 1:50 PM
in reply to: #1885388

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
dlelliott - 2009-01-04 11:32 AM

Hi, my name is Debbie

I have been married for 26 years to my High School Sweetheart.  We enjoy travelling the world together and working out.  I would like to join your group, to get into shape so I can participate in a super sprint triatholon on my way to getting to my ideal weight and size.  I look forward to working out! 

Hi Debbie...Amy told me that you are new to the site and would like to join our team...we would love to have you! are you planning on doing the Mission Bay Tri with Amy? I did that one last year with her and my dd and it is such a fun tri! I am hoping to do it again...what is nice is that it was my first so called open water swim and they offer swim buddies...I had one and never felt more comfortable!

WELCOME Debbie! I will go to see your log...but ask that you try and log all your workouts, try to come and say hi to the team on a daily basis and to download the red chart with all our teammates names so that you can keep them on track and send an occasional or daily inspire message. Have a great day! and HOW BOUT THOSE CHARGERS!? I take it you live in SD!?

2009-01-04 2:02 PM
in reply to: #1885404

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Kurls26 - 2009-01-04 11:44 AM

I'm BAAAAAAAAAAAAACK! Whew...not having internet access for a few days is the worst!  Got to the gym a few times over the holiday. Dodged a few "resolution-ists".  I am on vacation yet again for the week, so I can really dial into the workouts.  I will call tomorrow about a Masters class that begins this week.  How often should I be in the pool? This would be the pool I have access to. I dont have one in my gym, so the masters class would be my only pool/lap/technique time.  I believe this class is offered 1, 2, and 3x a week. Im thinking 3 is a bit excessive..is once a week to little?!  I'm going to put the bike purchase on hold for now. At least until the end of the month.  I'll have to suffer on the stationary at the gym for now.  I really want to go get fitted and then search for one that is the perfect fit for me.  Hope everyone had a a fantastic New Years! I drank too much, ate too much, and slept too much! Now it's time to get serious. 

Oh and I think I am going to sign up for my first ever 5K....I live in South Boston ( Irish section of Boston) and every year they have a huge St. Patricks day celebration....starting off with a 5k run, parade, and then party.  So I think my roommates and I are going to run it. YAY

Hi Monica...good to hear from you...can you imagine not having a computer...I would absolutely go crazy! where are you vacationing? should we be jealous????

good for you for followiing up with your masters class...I think the medium of two classes per week is good...three may be overkill and we do not want to burn you out. Plus you have to fit in those runs and bike rides..since you are not getting a bike...ride your bike...this will make you a stronger rider and when you get your much lighter biike with slick tires..you will FLY! and if you are going to use a stationary bike I personally would look for a spin bike not the recumbant or big stationary bikes. I think you are smart to hold off...this tri stuff can be costly and you do not want to go overboard.

The St Patricks Day FunRun sounds like a great way to start off! and by the way I love the Boston area...used to travel there for the head of the charles..and that was around the time of the season change...beautiful fall colors everywhere! and nothiing better then LOBSTER! can you send me a few!!! have a great day!! and vacation! way to train while away!

2009-01-04 2:05 PM

Regular
Calgary,AB
dlelliott - 2009-01-04 12:32 PM

Hi, my name is Debbie

Welcome, Debbie! I am also new to this thing called triathlon as well as to BT but for the record, you are going to love this mentor group! I have found some awesome motivators with varying experiences that have given me some great advice and inspiration to get out there. No doubt that you will gain from them as well! Looking forward to getting to know you too!

2009-01-04 2:06 PM

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca

Hi, my name is Debbie

Yeah Debbie, you made it!!!!

2009-01-04 2:09 PM

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

today is a travel day for me. I just walked my dd and her buddy to the beach and took a few pictures of them while they are surfing...nice 5-6 foot waves and they were ripping it up...even on thier long boards...I then went over to this nearby boutique where she had tried on a swim suit and jeans and even though she wanted them...she put them back...luckily I was paying attention and was able to find both again...I bought them and will be hiding them behind her pillows on her bed so that she will not find them til after I have already left...she will be mad, but only for a short time! hehe!

On a more serious note, I am going to be finishing our team chart this evening...I know that we had some member who have asked to join in and have not responded since....(I refuse to name names)...and I will be removing a few names and adding Debbie and Nicole...is there anyone else that I have left out? maybe someone can go back thru the thread and make sure that we are not leaving out any newbies who are afraid to chime in....any takers? hope that you all have a great day! and you are not like Lyssa-gator and up to your elbows in snow...or having rain like our dear friend Sledge....make the best of your day and do something cardio.

2009-01-04 2:12 PM
in reply to: #1885428

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
abud7373 - 2009-01-04 12:06 PM

Hi, my name is Debbie

Hi Amy...it is a beautiful sunny day here at the beach. Hope you and your cute family will be able to enjoy it near your home!

2009-01-04 2:19 PM

Regular
Calgary,AB

Well, if they created the two-day sprint event- I know that I would be ready!Laughing Sat on the trainer for 45 min yesterday, and then managed to get out this morning for a swim followed by a run. So if anyone knows a two-day event, sign me up!

While it is still -12C out, the sun is shining and that's what gets me going. We did leave Calgary for North Vancouver, BC for two years and while I loved the easy access to some awesome trail running and hiking, not to mention Whistler for the amazing skiing/snowboarding- I HATED the constant rain so we moved back to Calgary where we have 333 days of sunshine though as you may have noticed it gets a wee bit chilly. The school where I teach is more likely to be cancelled for a 'cold day' than it is for a 'snow day'. Definitely sad about missing the upcoming Olympics but thrilled to be back in Cowtown-have any of you been to Stampede? HUGE party for 10 days in early July- free pancake breakfasts all around town everyday, work pretty much shuts down for everyone and pull out the cowboy boots, hat and the biggest belt buckle that you can find! If you haven't done it- time to put it on your to do list! Yee-Haw!

2009-01-04 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1885405

Regular
Calgary,AB
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-01-04 12:44 PM

Hi Julie...that sledding can be exhausting! and with a little one even more so! I took a king mattress last year when spending Xmas in Tahoe. We had an absolute blast. Six adults on a mattress...flying down the mountain with our lab in her cute vest coat chasing behind us. I will try and fiind the video that we made and download it when I get home.

OMG- sledding brings back some pretty hysterically funny moments for me...the best (it wasn't quite so funny at the time but we have laughed hard since)- I was a victim of a 'hit and slide'. When I was 16, my friends and I thought that it would be fun to go sledding on a Friday night with -30C temps. So we put on the layers and layers of track pants (I was WAY too cool to wear snowpants, so 7 layers of marshmallow man track pants was way better) and trespassed our way into the local Golf and Country Club to find a great hill. There were a bunch of folks there and next thing you know, I get knocked off my feet by a fast flying out of control sledder who didn't bother to check if I was ok and kept sledding on. Well turns out, I can't stand up, my leg is broken. I end up with a ride in an ambulance, got my 7 pairs of track pants cut off, and a good conversation starting scar as a reminder of why people who 'drink and slide' are dangerous. I continue to love tobagonning but remind everyone to sled on well-lit slopes, use a designated driver, and look out for the out of control shady sorts- unless of course they are on a king sized matteress!Smile

2009-01-04 4:27 PM
in reply to: #1885440

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-01-04 12:12 PM

Hi, my name is Debbie

Hi Amy...it is a beautiful sunny day here at the beach. Hope you and your cute family will be able to enjoy it near your home!

We played outside this am. Then I was able to get in a nap time run!

Have a safe trip home!

2009-01-04 4:40 PM
in reply to: #1885442

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
run_yc_run - 2009-01-04 12:19 PM

Well, if they created the two-day sprint event- I know that I would be ready!Laughing Sat on the trainer for 45 min yesterday, and then managed to get out this morning for a swim followed by a run. So if anyone knows a two-day event, sign me up!

While it is still -12C out, the sun is shining and that's what gets me going. We did leave Calgary for North Vancouver, BC for two years and while I loved the easy access to some awesome trail running and hiking, not to mention Whistler for the amazing skiing/snowboarding- I HATED the constant rain so we moved back to Calgary where we have 333 days of sunshine though as you may have noticed it gets a wee bit chilly. The school where I teach is more likely to be cancelled for a 'cold day' than it is for a 'snow day'. Definitely sad about missing the upcoming Olympics but thrilled to be back in Cowtown-have any of you been to Stampede? HUGE party for 10 days in early July- free pancake breakfasts all around town everyday, work pretty much shuts down for everyone and pull out the cowboy boots, hat and the biggest belt buckle that you can find! If you haven't done it- time to put it on your to do list! Yee-Haw!

brrrrrrrrrrrrr that is dang cold for this gal! I grew up in Texas...and speaking of which...want to borrow the ten gallon hat, my dingo boots or that huge silver buckle...I have a few! they may be dusty cuz I have not been able to drag my dh who HATES country music with a passion to any country western bars or clubs...and to think I was one bad arse two-stepping, three-stepping, swing dancer....but I am sure it will come back...sounds like a shitkicking good time! Id love for you to send me a link....OH yeah...I was in a few rodeos back in my day....my friend barrel raced and we would get out of school to ride two of her horses thru Houston city streets to the Astrodome where they held the rodeo back then....was a blast and can not tell you all the wrecks that almost happened from the people who would see two girls on horses riding down the street. LOL!

2009-01-04 4:44 PM
in reply to: #1885470

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
run_yc_run - 2009-01-04 12:41 PM
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-01-04 12:44 PM

OMG- sledding brings back some pretty hysterically funny moments for me...the best (it wasn't quite so funny at the time but we have laughed hard since)- I was a victim of a 'hit and slide'. When I was 16, my friends and I thought that it would be fun to go sledding on a Friday night with -30C temps. So we put on the layers and layers of track pants (I was WAY too cool to wear snowpants, so 7 layers of marshmallow man track pants was way better) and trespassed our way into the local Golf and Country Club to find a great hill. There were a bunch of folks there and next thing you know, I get knocked off my feet by a fast flying out of control sledder who didn't bother to check if I was ok and kept sledding on. Well turns out, I can't stand up, my leg is broken. I end up with a ride in an ambulance, got my 7 pairs of track pants cut off, and a good conversation starting scar as a reminder of why people who 'drink and slide' are dangerous. I continue to love tobagonning but remind everyone to sled on well-lit slopes, use a designated driver, and look out for the out of control shady sorts- unless of course they are on a king sized matteress!Smile

wow...broken leg sux! mean people who dont stop sux even more! Thanx for the good advice and i bet you wear snow pants now...that is a lot of pants to replace when you have 7 cut off of you!

2009-01-04 4:45 PM
in reply to: #1885593

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
abud7373 - 2009-01-04 2:27 PM

Hi, my name is Debbie

We played outside this am. Then I was able to get in a nap time run! Have a safe trip home!

love it...and cracks me up to hear naptime run...even though I know you mean while your kids nap....others may think you only dream about running...hehe

2009-01-04 5:02 PM
in reply to: #1885631

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-01-04 2:45 PM

abud7373 - 2009-01-04 2:27 PM

Hi, my name is Debbie

We played outside this am. Then I was able to get in a nap time run! Have a safe trip home!

love it...and cracks me up to hear naptime run...even though I know you mean while your kids nap....others may think you only dream about running...hehe

That sounds like a nightmare to me!
2009-01-04 5:10 PM
in reply to: #1885336

Pro
Olney, MD
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-01-04 1:38 PM

MDHillSlug - 2009-01-04 10:19 AM I did an early morning run and then hung out at The Corner Bakery while my daughter had her skating lesson. Now, we're looking for a movie or something for this afternoon.

way to go on the early morning run and on your mama duties...let us know what movie you see and if it is good....or not. Have a great day!

We went to see "Seven Pounds". I highly recommend it. Unfortunately, my son wanted to see it but we had to leave him behind to because he had to work. However, he was sent home early. Sux that he didn't get to see it with us and sux that he doesn't get a paycheck for tonight either.

Welcome Debbie!

2009-01-04 6:11 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-01-04 6:33 PM
in reply to: #1885737

Regular
Calgary,AB

Kurls26 - 2009-01-04 5:11 PM Marley & Me= bring tissues!!!!

I second Monica on Marley & Me Cry... our poor pooch was mauled with hugs and kisses when we got home.

Good to hear positives about Seven Pounds. I love Will Smith and have been thinking about it...now whether or not I can get hubby to go with me is the next question.

2009-01-04 6:36 PM

Extreme Veteran
Indiana

Welcome Debbie. 

Thanks for the spin class info Julie, I hate the first night of any class ! lol  I will do as you suggest, speak up LOUDLY and let the teacher know I am VERY new ! 

So maybe a pair of the bike shorts with padding is a good idea ?  I can't imagine how bad my hiney will hurt.... OH MAN......I hope the girl bits don't  hurt too !!!

Now a broken leg from sledding ! man that was brutal, I had a visual you poor thing !!!!!

2009-01-04 6:37 PM
in reply to: #1885630

Regular
Calgary,AB

wow...broken leg sux! mean people who dont stop sux even more! Thanx for the good advice and i bet you wear snow pants now...that is a lot of pants to replace when you have 7 cut off of you!

I wear snow pants now because they are warm and practical for the temps and I am thankfully past that age of worrying what others think of what I am wearing.

2009-01-04 6:42 PM
in reply to: #1885765

Regular
Calgary,AB
maxmansmom - 2009-01-04 5:36 PM

Welcome Debbie. 

Thanks for the spin class info Julie, I hate the first night of any class ! lol  I will do as you suggest, speak up LOUDLY and let the teacher know I am VERY new ! 

So maybe a pair of the bike shorts with padding is a good idea ?  I can't imagine how bad my hiney will hurt.... OH MAN......I hope the girl bits don't  hurt too !!!

Now a broken leg from sledding ! man that was brutal, I had a visual you poor thing !!!!!

Just have fun with it and take it easy for your first class! The wonderful bit about spin classes is that each bike has its own adjustment so there is no pressure about what resistance you are on. Don't forget to bring some water and a little towel! The only time the nether regions have hurt is when the seat is angled up- if that is the case, check the adjustments or put some pressure on the tip of the seat to push it down. Have fun and let us know how it goes!

2009-01-04 6:47 PM
in reply to: #1885623

Regular
Calgary,AB
Girl Passing on Left - 2009-01-04 3:40 PM
run_yc_run - 2009-01-04 12:19 PM

brrrrrrrrrrrrr that is dang cold for this gal! I grew up in Texas...and speaking of which...want to borrow the ten gallon hat, my dingo boots or that huge silver buckle...I have a few! they may be dusty cuz I have not been able to drag my dh who HATES country music with a passion to any country western bars or clubs...and to think I was one bad arse two-stepping, three-stepping, swing dancer....but I am sure it will come back...sounds like a shitkicking good time! Id love for you to send me a link....OH yeah...I was in a few rodeos back in my day....my friend barrel raced and we would get out of school to ride two of her horses thru Houston city streets to the Astrodome where they held the rodeo back then....was a blast and can not tell you all the wrecks that almost happened from the people who would see two girls on horses riding down the street. LOL!

Barrel racing! Wow- you are multi-talented! My hubby and I aren't big fans of country music either but they always have some great artists lined up (I think this year is Kenny Chesney, George Strait, and Taylor Swift) and it is a fun time. If you ever think about coming up this way...Banff is stunning in the summer and the Stampede is a blast. Check it out! http://calgarystampede.com/ 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  

of 168