BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kati's MOMMA training group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2010-02-26 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2694259

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Kati's MOMMA training group - Closed
Why oh why do I get these calf issues Tongue out!

last night I had a good bike trainer WO and got spasm in my left calf on the inside Gastr head about 45 min into it.  Didn't seize so I kept going.  After I had a nice knot, had to do some self massaging and trigger point stuff, ouch!  Still sore today and more self therapy planned, it better not affect tomorrows 10k...

Hope all is well for everyone and Happy N'easter day2 to those in the NE!

2010-02-26 8:36 PM
in reply to: #2591018

User image

Hey all!
I'm still here too.  It's been a busy week with work so I haven't been checking in as much as usual.  Swims are getting much better.  I am still following the training from the book by Terry Laughlin.  It seems to be progressing well so I am happy! 

Runs are a different story.  I have developed some shin splints in my right calf now.  I will have to back off on the runs to let the swelling subside.  It's getting really frustrating Undecided  I am re-thinking my shoes too.  Although I got fitted at a running store, maybe all of these issues I am having ar due to shoes.  Grrrr.......
2010-02-27 10:04 AM

User image

Port Kent, NY
I have been sick for just about the whole week.  Head cold that I got from my son and know we are passing it around in our house, YEAH! I am feeling much better today but still have a wicked runny nose.  Hopefully no more sickness but with a kid in daycare I think that that is wishful thinking!! I'm going to keep following my training as much as possible.  I do have a half marry coming up and I am going to constrate on that for know.  Get to a pool has been a major issue for me, I haven't swam in over a month know and that is really stressing me out.   We don't live close to town so I have to travel and my husband has been laid off again so money is tight at this moment.  I'm hoping that in another month I can get in the pool and hopefully that will be enough before my big race the end of June.  I do live on a lake and once I get a wet suit I'll just go down and swim in that freezing water!  I don't know have to see where everything is at once hubby goes back to work offically.   Hope that everyone is doing good!!
2010-02-27 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2694259

User image

Expert

Baowolf - 2010-02-25 8:02 PM Any swimmers please take a look at my swim video under my albums.  I hope it is not too dark, say if it is and I will try to brighten it... er well have my wife try to figure out how to brighten it or take a video during the day. 

My swimming is so slow... any help will be appreciated.

I'm running a few errands this am - I'll take a look this afternoon and send you a note! 

Just finished up a nice easy 13 miles - felt great - 3 weeks until my half marathon! 

2010-02-27 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2696857

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Mommyintraining - 2010-02-27 11:04 AM I have been sick for just about the whole week.  Head cold that I got from my son and know we are passing it around in our house, YEAH! I am feeling much better today but still have a wicked runny nose.  Hopefully no more sickness but with a kid in daycare I think that that is wishful thinking!! I'm going to keep following my training as much as possible.  I do have a half marry coming up and I am going to constrate on that for know.  Get to a pool has been a major issue for me, I haven't swam in over a month know and that is really stressing me out.   We don't live close to town so I have to travel and my husband has been laid off again so money is tight at this moment.  I'm hoping that in another month I can get in the pool and hopefully that will be enough before my big race the end of June.  I do live on a lake and once I get a wet suit I'll just go down and swim in that freezing water!  I don't know have to see where everything is at once hubby goes back to work offically.   Hope that everyone is doing good!!

I remember when our two kids were in Pre-school, my wife and I were sick all the time.  By 2nd grade it backs off pretty good, and now that they're in 5th and 3rd grades I've only been sick sick once this fall/winter (so far!).

2010-02-27 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2696421

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
christina322 - 2010-02-26 9:36 PM Hey all!
I'm still here too.  It's been a busy week with work so I haven't been checking in as much as usual.  Swims are getting much better.  I am still following the training from the book by Terry Laughlin.  It seems to be progressing well so I am happy! 

Runs are a different story.  I have developed some shin splints in my right calf now.  I will have to back off on the runs to let the swelling subside.  It's getting really frustrating Undecided  I am re-thinking my shoes too.  Although I got fitted at a running store, maybe all of these issues I am having ar due to shoes.  Grrrr.......

When my wife started running she had shin issues on and off for about two years then finally they went away.  Definitely takes time for the body to "toughen up" to the stress of training.  If you can walk walk, if not let everything heal and come back slow.

Good job with the swimming, I envy you!Wink

2010-02-27 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2696889

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Had my 10k today, got a PR and preliminary results at the race said I had top 5 finish!  Race route includes an over and back of a bridge that kicked my butt at the end, lost my sub 45 on it the 2nd time.  Wiating for the official results to be posted fro the RR.
2010-02-28 3:14 PM

User image

Fort Worth
I ran the Cowtown 5K this weekend!  It was my first one ever and I was very pleased with the results.  We had some good friends come into town and run it with us.  One of them runs a lot and even has a tri under his belt.  He ran with me the whole way motivating me and helping pace me.  The added bonus was that talking to him really made the race fly by.  I couldn't believe how many people were there!  They had around 20,000 turn out and downtown Fort Worth was really hopping.  The start was a madhouse and even after 5K I felt surrounded by runners.  I think I could have run another mile and been OK.  I wore my HR monitor and noticed that my HR was pretty high the whole race even when I wasn't feeling that tired.  I think it might have been the adrenaline making me excited.  The course was more hilly than I thought it would be, but I kept up a very steady pace the whole time.  It felt GREAT passing people, especially at the end when they were gassed and walking!  My main goal was to run the entire thing without walking at all and I accomplished that and then some!  I flat out sprinted the last 200 yards or so and man did I feel it!  I thought I was going to puke about 50 yards from the finish and so I dialed it back just enough to keep my breakfast down.  I didn't want to be "that guy" who threw up in front of 500 people gathered at the finish!  It was the first big race I've been to like that but it felt very well organized.  Overall it was a LOT OF FUN!  Afterward, I ate enough bratwurst and drank enough beer to feed a small German village.  Talk about a great reward!

Angry All-Squatch Brigade
Success!
2010-02-28 4:23 PM

User image

Expert

@Donto & @FSquatch - Congratulations on to PR's today!!  Way to go!  Both sound like great races!

@Christina - I remember everything hurting a lot at the start, once you get yourself into a good routine you either get used to the pain (I fear that's what it is : ) or it starts to get better, I'm not sure which one it is!  Yesterday after a long run with aching hamstrings I think I might tell you that we just get used to it!

@Mommy - yep, those germs just keep coming until, well, my kids are 10 and 7 and I just got sick this week from them!  I tend to have a weak immune system but my husband seems to have built up some immunity to them!

I got my first outside ride of the season in today, wow, it's harder with wind and real hills then on the computrainer!

2010-02-28 5:29 PM
in reply to: #2698286

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
FWSquatch - 2010-02-28 1:14 PM I ran the Cowtown 5K this weekend!  It was my first one ever and I was very pleased with the results.  We had some good friends come into town and run it with us.  One of them runs a lot and even has a tri under his belt.  He ran with me the whole way motivating me and helping pace me.  The added bonus was that talking to him really made the race fly by.  I couldn't believe how many people were there!  They had around 20,000 turn out and downtown Fort Worth was really hopping.  The start was a madhouse and even after 5K I felt surrounded by runners.  I think I could have run another mile and been OK.  I wore my HR monitor and noticed that my HR was pretty high the whole race even when I wasn't feeling that tired.  I think it might have been the adrenaline making me excited.  The course was more hilly than I thought it would be, but I kept up a very steady pace the whole time.  It felt GREAT passing people, especially at the end when they were gassed and walking!  My main goal was to run the entire thing without walking at all and I accomplished that and then some!  I flat out sprinted the last 200 yards or so and man did I feel it!  I thought I was going to puke about 50 yards from the finish and so I dialed it back just enough to keep my breakfast down.  I didn't want to be "that guy" who threw up in front of 500 people gathered at the finish!  It was the first big race I've been to like that but it felt very well organized.  Overall it was a LOT OF FUN!  Afterward, I ate enough bratwurst and drank enough beer to feed a small German village.  Talk about a great reward!

Success!

CONGRATS!!! Sounds like you had a great race!
2010-02-28 6:12 PM
in reply to: #2698286

User image

York, PA
FWSquatch - 2010-02-28 4:14 PM I ran the Cowtown 5K this weekend!  It was my first one ever and I was very pleased with the results.  We had some good friends come into town and run it with us.  One of them runs a lot and even has a tri under his belt.  He ran with me the whole way motivating me and helping pace me.  The added bonus was that talking to him really made the race fly by.  I couldn't believe how many people were there!  They had around 20,000 turn out and downtown Fort Worth was really hopping.  The start was a madhouse and even after 5K I felt surrounded by runners.  I think I could have run another mile and been OK.  I wore my HR monitor and noticed that my HR was pretty high the whole race even when I wasn't feeling that tired.  I think it might have been the adrenaline making me excited.  The course was more hilly than I thought it would be, but I kept up a very steady pace the whole time.  It felt GREAT passing people, especially at the end when they were gassed and walking!  My main goal was to run the entire thing without walking at all and I accomplished that and then some!  I flat out sprinted the last 200 yards or so and man did I feel it!  I thought I was going to puke about 50 yards from the finish and so I dialed it back just enough to keep my breakfast down.  I didn't want to be "that guy" who threw up in front of 500 people gathered at the finish!  It was the first big race I've been to like that but it felt very well organized.  Overall it was a LOT OF FUN!  Afterward, I ate enough bratwurst and drank enough beer to feed a small German village.  Talk about a great reward!

Success!

FWSquatch,

(¯`'•.¸* NICE JOB & CONGRATS*¸.•'´¯

Edited by Robin7 2010-02-28 6:13 PM

2010-03-01 8:15 AM

User image

Expert

Huray for Mondays and new training weeks!  Hope everyone kicks off the training week on the right foot!

2010-03-02 8:36 AM

User image

Expert

Who is doing a pool swim and who has an open water swim for their first race?

2010-03-02 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2701787

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
katimomma - 2010-03-02 9:36 AM

I've only done one pool swim tri and hated it, everyone was faster than me!  That said mine this year will be a 1/3mi OWS tri.
2010-03-02 10:28 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
My first tri this year will be my first OWS mass start with 2500 people.  I have done them with fewer, like 350, and have done time starts with 250 per wave x 14 waves, but this will be my first full combat start at CDA.
2010-03-02 10:33 AM

User image

FWSquatch:  Congrats on your first race!  What an amazing accomplishment!

Thanks for all the support/pep-talks about my calf/ankle problems.  I know things will work out in the end.

My first sprint tri has a pool swim.  Probably a good thing for me right now.  I hear that pool swims are easier than open water.  But since I haven't done it yet, I'm not so sure!

Hope everyone has a good week!

2010-03-02 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2702096

User image

Expert

Baowolf - 2010-03-02 10:28 AM My first tri this year will be my first OWS mass start with 2500 people.  I have done them with fewer, like 350, and have done time starts with 250 per wave x 14 waves, but this will be my first full combat start at CDA.

Sharpen those elbows!

2010-03-02 7:20 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
katimomma - 2010-03-02 6:36 AM

I have a race this weekend (though not my first) and it is a lake swim. I'm glad it's not ocean, because I have been more scared in the ocean lately. But, I haven't done a wetsuit swim in a while. I think I'll be fine, but wish I had time to get down to the beach for an OW swim. Oh well! Swimming is my strength so I'll just go with it!
2010-03-02 7:21 PM
in reply to: #2699332

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
katimomma - 2010-03-01 6:15 AM

Huray for Mondays and new training weeks!  Hope everyone kicks off the training week on the right foot!

I have been REALLY slacking on the bike. Now one of our cars is in the shop, which seems to be nature's way of getting me on the bike 11 miles a day to commute to and from work!
2010-03-02 8:20 PM

User image

York, PA
katimomma - 2010-03-02 9:36 AM

Mine is ows - a lake

2010-03-03 7:34 AM

User image

Port Kent, NY
@ FWsquatch and Donto: Congrats and Great JOB!!!

Ok I'm hoping that March will be a better month for training.  I had some issues with my husband I don't know if he is depressed or what but man he was just hounding me all the time.  Espically if I was doing to displine trainings a day.  Told me that I can't read, or train, or do my crafts...... what gives with that.  He is back to work so know I can "sneak" in two trainings again.  He was really bringing me down.  Its not like I've never ran, or read, or did crafts, none of this is new.  We've been together for 6 years and I've always ran and biked!! Plus I've been sick know with a head cold for a week and a half.  Makes it hard to run when My head is all plugged up and I can't breath.  Brodie doesn't have RSV, thank god and he is pretty much all better, know hopefully I don't give it back to him.  I'm really nervous about signing up for the Tinman b/c I have not been able to make it to a pool.  The tinman is at the end of June and I'm hoping I will have a enough time to get my swimming up to par.  I don't know things just didn't work out the way I wanted them too.

Hope everyone is well and training Hard!!! Have a Great day!!!

2010-03-03 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2704077

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Mommyintraining - 2010-03-03 8:34 AM @ FWsquatch and Donto: Congrats and Great JOB!!!

Ok I'm hoping that March will be a better month for training.  I had some issues with my husband I don't know if he is depressed or what but man he was just hounding me all the time.  Espically if I was doing to displine trainings a day.  Told me that I can't read, or train, or do my crafts...... what gives with that.  He is back to work so know I can "sneak" in two trainings again.  He was really bringing me down.  Its not like I've never ran, or read, or did crafts, none of this is new.  We've been together for 6 years and I've always ran and biked!! Plus I've been sick know with a head cold for a week and a half.  Makes it hard to run when My head is all plugged up and I can't breath.  Brodie doesn't have RSV, thank god and he is pretty much all better, know hopefully I don't give it back to him.  I'm really nervous about signing up for the Tinman b/c I have not been able to make it to a pool.  The tinman is at the end of June and I'm hoping I will have a enough time to get my swimming up to par.  I don't know things just didn't work out the way I wanted them too.

Hope everyone is well and training Hard!!! Have a Great day!!!

If you husband has a sense of humor you must show him this (HTFU)!

Angie, you have plenty of time to get things up to par.  Are you planning on the HIM or the Sprint?  Either way it's a wetsuit swim, stroke and glide...
2010-03-03 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2703475

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
sealiongirl - 2010-03-02 8:20 PM
katimomma - 2010-03-02 6:36 AM

I have a race this weekend (though not my first) and it is a lake swim. I'm glad it's not ocean, because I have been more scared in the ocean lately. But, I haven't done a wetsuit swim in a while. I think I'll be fine, but wish I had time to get down to the beach for an OW swim. Oh well! Swimming is my strength so I'll just go with it!

Good luck and have a safe race J!
2010-03-03 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2702250

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
katimomma - 2010-03-02 12:26 PM

Baowolf - 2010-03-02 10:28 AM My first tri this year will be my first OWS mass start with 2500 people.  I have done them with fewer, like 350, and have done time starts with 250 per wave x 14 waves, but this will be my first full combat start at CDA.

Sharpen those elbows!

You need to train the way they race!!!
2010-03-03 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2704599

User image

Expert

Donto - 2010-03-03 10:17 AM
katimomma - 2010-03-02 12:26 PM

Sharpen those elbows!

You need to train the way they race!!!

I have seen that commercial hundreds of times and i laugh just as hard each time!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kati's MOMMA training group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 20