BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2011-02-06 3:46 PM
in reply to: #3341003

User image

South Florida
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed

How you liking the Fastwich? Saw them at an expo last weekend. Man they're light! And they "toned down" the colors  for the 5. No more bright yellow.

2011-02-06 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3256935

User image

South Florida
Happy Super Bowl Big Game Sunday. Life completely grabbed hold of my the last few days. Busy with work last week. Had wedding stuff Friday night, helped set-up a beach wedding for a friend yesterday, then a b-day dinner last night. BUT! I was able to get a good ride in this morning. Then when for a short run in the Newtons. Felt good to be back in them. But i'm taking it day by day with them and hoping all goes smooth. I was planning on going for a swim this afternoon, but way to many Man-O-War in the Ocean. (See photo below). We've been having great weather down here lately, low 80'

Anyone have any breakthroughs in training this weekend?
2011-02-06 4:01 PM
in reply to: #3341818

User image

South Florida
Ok, well i can't get the picture to upload. But trust me, there was hundreds of them!

Edited by nvalaitis 2011-02-06 4:03 PM
2011-02-06 9:48 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
nvalaitis - 2011-02-06 4:52 PM Happy Super Bowl Big Game Sunday. Life completely grabbed hold of my the last few days. Busy with work last week. Had wedding stuff Friday night, helped set-up a beach wedding for a friend yesterday, then a b-day dinner last night. BUT! I was able to get a good ride in this morning. Then when for a short run in the Newtons. Felt good to be back in them. But i'm taking it day by day with them and hoping all goes smooth. I was planning on going for a swim this afternoon, but way to many Man-O-War in the Ocean. (See photo below). We've been having great weather down here lately, low 80'

Yikes!!

Every time I have ever been to the beach I've stepped on some form of jellyfish. Fortunately I've managed to avoid all the really bad ones.

2011-02-06 9:52 PM
in reply to: #3338179

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
MAC36 - 2011-02-03 6:40 PM Evening all

We are now a month into the new year. Thought it might be good to see where I was sitting against my personal goals

My weight at start of jan was 234. my aim is 210 by 1st tri of season. Currently siting at 222. loss of 12lbs so far. dead chuffed, nothing stupid in regards to dieting just cut majority of crap out and the heavy food groups such as bread and pasta. Still having rice and have developed an unhealthy enjoyment of couscous!

Have 2 more months to hit 210 goal

Running has begun but still not enough. Need to refocus this and get at least 1 to 2 runs a week in

Cycling coming along well, completed a good 40km at weekend

Swimming has been a high focus area, mainly to increase fitness and distance, as hoping to do an olympic at some point this year. New best 400m at 7:40

Winter training sucks but hope your all managing to get some quality time in

Heres to a good Feb

Great job! You should hit 210 a bit before two months time if things stay the way they are going!

Winter training has been going pretty good for me, made quite a few big leaps with my coaches help. Starting to ramp up some volume on the runs finally (1:10 this morning) which it feels like forever since I've done.

Still a bit of time away from the first tri, but it's looking like it's going to turn out to be a great season...hopefully!
2011-02-07 6:54 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

I have been a lazy SOB for a couple of days.  Just couldn't bring myself to run on the track at the gym  and 6-8 inches of snow on the ground didnt' help.  Did shovel snow for about an hour and a half yesterday, but then bagged my run at the gym as I just didn't want to do it.  Guess it's called listening to your body, but got to get back on it starting today.  Spin class at lunch and swim after work.  I will make those workouts unless life gets in the way.

2011-02-07 7:37 AM

User image

Bronze member
nvalaitis - 2011-02-06 3:52 PM Happy Super Bowl Big Game Sunday. Life completely grabbed hold of my the last few days. Busy with work last week. Had wedding stuff Friday night, helped set-up a beach wedding for a friend yesterday, then a b-day dinner last night. BUT! I was able to get a good ride in this morning. Then when for a short run in the Newtons. Felt good to be back in them. But i'm taking it day by day with them and hoping all goes smooth. I was planning on going for a swim this afternoon, but way to many Man-O-War in the Ocean. (See photo below). We've been having great weather down here lately, low 80'

No breakthroughs. Just keep chipping away.

Wait, my knees and ankles didn't hurt during my ride and run this weekend. I guess that is a breakthrough!

I'm jealous of your weather. I was excited to see a high in the 40's in our 10 day forecast.
2011-02-07 8:20 AM
in reply to: #3342563

User image

South Florida
2011-02-07 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3336910

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Sorry I haven't been around much. I've been trying to sort out life these days. Looking into a new job, and maybe going back to school, so I have been up to my ears in personal crap recently. But it's slowly getting sorted out. Luckily, my training hasn't suffered much!

So I got some good news on Friday. I passed my Professional Practice Exam, so now I am one step closer to being a professional engineer! I just need to submit my paperwork for work experience, and pass a french test, and I will be considered a professional. It is very exciting! Should mean a bit of leverage when it comes to work, and a fairly sizable raise, which would be nice!

Hope everyone is doing well!
2011-02-07 4:42 PM
in reply to: #3343100

User image

South Florida
LockOut - 2011-02-07 12:34 PM Sorry I haven't been around much. I've been trying to sort out life these days. Looking into a new job, and maybe going back to school, so I have been up to my ears in personal crap recently. But it's slowly getting sorted out. Luckily, my training hasn't suffered much!

So I got some good news on Friday. I passed my Professional Practice Exam, so now I am one step closer to being a professional engineer! I just need to submit my paperwork for work experience, and pass a french test, and I will be considered a professional. It is very exciting! Should mean a bit of leverage when it comes to work, and a fairly sizable raise, which would be nice!

Oui Oui beau travail !!! My fiance' is a Civil/Land Development Engineer and passed her PE 2 years ago. She studied for moths. So i know how hard that is.  Congrats!. What type of engineer are you?
2011-02-07 8:03 PM

New user

Centennial Colorado
LockOut - 2011-02-07 11:34 AM So I got some good news on Friday. I passed my Professional Practice Exam, so now I am one step closer to being a professional engineer! I just need to submit my paperwork for work experience, and pass a french test, and I will be considered a professional. It is very exciting! Should mean a bit of leverage when it comes to work, and a fairly sizable raise, which would be nice!

Pourquoi le Francais??  Je le parle assez bien, mais pour un engineur, ca me semble up peut bizarre..... non?  Bonne chance tout le meme...

2011-02-08 5:58 AM
in reply to: #3342627

User image

Bronze member
nvalaitis - 2011-02-07 8:20 AM

I can't post a picture of the Man O War, but here is a link for the story.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/pompano-beach/sfl-bphotosb-portuguese-manofwar-storm-beaches-20110205,0,7080373.ugcphotogallery

Love the pictures but not the jellyfish! What will happen to them all? Will they just lay on the beach and die? I'd never want to swim in the ocean again after seeing all of those!
2011-02-08 5:59 AM

User image

Bronze member
LockOut - 2011-02-07 11:34 AM Sorry I haven't been around much. I've been trying to sort out life these days. Looking into a new job, and maybe going back to school, so I have been up to my ears in personal crap recently. But it's slowly getting sorted out. Luckily, my training hasn't suffered much!

Exciting! Good luck!
2011-02-08 7:45 AM
in reply to: #3344107

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
wendy9447 - 2011-02-07 9:03 PM
LockOut - 2011-02-07 11:34 AM So I got some good news on Friday. I passed my Professional Practice Exam, so now I am one step closer to being a professional engineer! I just need to submit my paperwork for work experience, and pass a french test, and I will be considered a professional. It is very exciting! Should mean a bit of leverage when it comes to work, and a fairly sizable raise, which would be nice!

Pourquoi le Francais??  Je le parle assez bien, mais pour un engineur, ca me semble up peut bizarre..... non?  Bonne chance tout le meme...

Merci beaucoup, Wendy! I'll explain in English so everyone can understand :P Yes, it is a bit weird that I have to know french to become an engineer, but I live in Quebec, which is a french-speaking province in Canada, and they are VERY strict with their language laws, because they feel they will lose the language in all the country if they don't enforce them. Therefore, all professionals (lawyers, doctors, nurses, dietitians, engineers, etc) have to prove proficiency. It is kinda weird, if you ask me, since it is really only me that it hurts if I can't speak french, since it limits my cliental, but whatever, it's the law, so I guess I don't have a choice!

I forget who asked, but I am a Civil Engineer, as well.  However, what I just passed and what your SO passed are 2 very different things. Up here in Canada, we don't have a PE exam. Basically, from my understanding, that is an exam that tests knowledge, application, etc of engineering principles. In Canada, we don't have anything like that. We have to get 3-4 years of experience as opposed to passing a test. The test that I did was a test of the laws and ethics as it pertains to Engineers. Very dry stuff, but pretty easy to study, since it SHOULD be fairly common sense to an engineer...
2011-02-08 11:28 AM
in reply to: #3344107

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
wendy9447 - 2011-02-07 9:03 PM

woahhh... I don't even speak english all that well Now I'm totally lost
2011-02-08 11:30 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
LockOut - 2011-02-07 12:34 PM Sorry I haven't been around much. I've been trying to sort out life these days. Looking into a new job, and maybe going back to school, so I have been up to my ears in personal crap recently. But it's slowly getting sorted out. Luckily, my training hasn't suffered much!

Congrats Pete!

2011-02-08 4:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
LockOut - 2011-02-07 10:34 AM Sorry I haven't been around much. I've been trying to sort out life these days. Looking into a new job, and maybe going back to school, so I have been up to my ears in personal crap recently. But it's slowly getting sorted out. Luckily, my training hasn't suffered much!

Congrats! That's awesome!
2011-02-08 4:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington

Sorry I've been MIA for so long now. I've been bumming about my knee and I let it get me down. But no more! It's still healing and I think it's almost back (all without surgery!). For now I'm still working out with a brace (biking and some minimal elliptical stuff).

I'll try to catch up on our group thread this evening! Hope everybody is well!

2011-02-08 4:28 PM

User image

New user
LockOut - 2011-02-07 12:34 AM Sorry I haven't been around much. I've been trying to sort out life these days. Looking into a new job, and maybe going back to school, so I have been up to my ears in personal crap recently. But it's slowly getting sorted out. Luckily, my training hasn't suffered much!

I too one day would like to become a professional engineering. It will be a while, but I am just starting to get back on track. Joined the military as a biomedical technician which seems to have some relation to my electrical engineering degree that I am going for. I now also have a field that I think I would like to specialize in as well.

Aside from being sick Monday, Sunday was a great day for me. The weather was perfect, so I started it off with a 9.34 mile bike. My average mph went up 2 from the last time I took the route so that is good news. I think I still need some more seat time cause I still am not able to push myself as hard on a bike.

Right after I decided to try out the new shoes and run a 5k. My time dropped 2 minutes over my last 5k run! It may be because I haven't been running for speed lately, or the new shoes, or the bike wore me off a bit. The good thing was that my pace was fairly consistent. It was crazy to see my heart rate jump up right when I started to feel my legs get tired. I was running at mid 160's then I look at my heart rate and it shoots up to 174. It pretty much stayed between 170-174 the rest of the way.

After the run I took half a packet of my powerbar gel and headed to the pool. Swam for just about an hour with little breaks. I think 2 breathers at most. Everything felt great. My shoulders weren't tired at all, breathing was very relaxed and just felt like I was gliding through the water. I swam for more than 100 laps which I'm guessing is the 25 yards. I did do the pushoff method shown to me from another member here. Although not as quick because I had to press the lap button on each time I hit the wall, it was better than trying to turn around and swim. Times ranged from 25-30 seconds per lap. 

Here are the gps logs for the bike and run 
Bike: http://www.sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/896846
Run:http://www.sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/897020

I would like to bring down the run to an 18 minute 5k by the time my sprint triathlon comes around. Not sure what to aim for on the bike and swim yet though. 

Edited by Andr3w 2011-02-08 4:31 PM
2011-02-09 7:06 AM

User image

New user
Wow that was a lot harder than I thought. Led my first group for physical training today. Guess I was a bit nervous cause I couldn't speak in the beginning and had to force my words out in the beginning. I thought I sounded like I was angry lol. I got more relaxed throughout the workout though. Everyone looked to be sweating and not gasping for air so that was good. After that was done, I ended my morning workout with an extra mile run and had a light breakfast.
2011-02-09 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Sounds like everyone is well; new jobs, new gear, new adventures/experiences.

I actually RAN yesterday.  Trail was pretty muddy, but I felt pretty good. 

Some may have noticed I've been banged up a bit lately; we've been practicing 'gound fighting' for work and since I'm one of the smallest guys (and oldest), my body has been getting tore UP!-especially my ribs/rib cage.  Boss has ordered us to tone it down-so hopefully, I can listen to that advice.  Right now I am WAY far away from where I want to be,but my season doesn't start til July.  Hope y'all are well.

2011-02-09 11:52 AM
in reply to: #3345778

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
MechEChick - 2011-02-08 5:27 PM

Sorry I've been MIA for so long now. I've been bumming about my knee and I let it get me down. But no more! It's still healing and I think it's almost back (all without surgery!). For now I'm still working out with a brace (biking and some minimal elliptical stuff).

I'll try to catch up on our group thread this evening! Hope everybody is well!

Great to have you back! Glad to hear you dodged the surgery.
2011-02-09 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3346985

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
jeffnboise - 2011-02-09 12:27 PM Sounds like everyone is well; new jobs, new gear, new adventures/experiences.

I actually RAN yesterday.  Trail was pretty muddy, but I felt pretty good. 

Some may have noticed I've been banged up a bit lately; we've been practicing 'gound fighting' for work and since I'm one of the smallest guys (and oldest), my body has been getting tore UP!-especially my ribs/rib cage.  Boss has ordered us to tone it down-so hopefully, I can listen to that advice.  Right now I am WAY far away from where I want to be,but my season doesn't start til July.  Hope y'all are well.

I can imagine you coming into work like Edward Norton in Fight Club
2011-02-10 7:42 AM

User image

Bronze member
Feel like I'm starting to fade this week. I'm only into my 2nd week of the 1/2 IM plan, a little early to start fading! I've been really tired all the time and lost my enthusiasm for my workouts. I know it's because I've been stuck inside for everything and our schedule is crazy this week. I've just been hammering them out but not really having fun. I have a swim and bike on my schedule today. I'm seriously thinking about dropping the bike part. We'll see. I also spent 4 hours in CPR/first aide class last night. My knees did not appreciate all that time kneeling on the floor with the CPR dummy!

Tomorrow is my rest day and the weekend forecast looks a little warmer - 35 at least

2011-02-10 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3348300

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
trigal38 - 2011-02-10 8:42 AM Feel like I'm starting to fade this week. I'm only into my 2nd week of the 1/2 IM plan, a little early to start fading! I've been really tired all the time and lost my enthusiasm for my workouts. I know it's because I've been stuck inside for everything and our schedule is crazy this week. I've just been hammering them out but not really having fun. I have a swim and bike on my schedule today. I'm seriously thinking about dropping the bike part. We'll see. I also spent 4 hours in CPR/first aide class last night. My knees did not appreciate all that time kneeling on the floor with the CPR dummy!

Tomorrow is my rest day and the weekend forecast looks a little warmer - 35 at least

it can get heavy sometimes, I can totally understand how you are feeling (I even manage to feel that way myself, like this morning ) but I keep it in perspective... the days are getting longer and warmer, all my numbers are looking great, I'm healthy, and all in all I know I'm just 'ready to race.'

Listen to your body/mind though. If you feel like you may be "burning out" then take a day or two to yourself, forget training and just relax. Obviously you can't do that every time you feel "meh" but every now and then it's the absolute BEST thing you can do.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22